http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 08:47:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assassin's Creed 2 interest? (Now with Impressions - starting on pg 2)  (Read 29723 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 24, 2009, 06:17:33 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 24, 2009, 06:08:31 PM

Okay, I played a few hours, and got a hidden blade now...and I'm scared to do anythin but the story missions - am I missing out on something here, or can I go back and get collectibles eventually when I feel more safe in the game? Every damn guard is after me Im sure, and I'm not at all sure if I'm supposed to do other stuff yet

I'm not sure if you've gotten to this point yet, but eventually (it should be sooner than later) you can lower your notoriety by ripping down wanted posters, bribing heralds or killing officials so not every guard is after you.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 24, 2009, 06:39:55 PM »

Yes, you can go back later so no worries. 
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 24, 2009, 07:05:44 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 24, 2009, 03:02:46 PM

I know we had a thread on it around here somewhere but I've got to recommend people check out the Assassin's Creed: Lineage movie that Ubi put out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcE8xJkK6t4&feature=channel

It's 35 minutes long, sets up the story of the game amazingly well, and pretty well done.  I have no idea how much it cost but it couldn't have been cheap. 

Ubisoft does all their movie work in-house.  While I'm sure it wasn't cheap, they have their own equipment to make these movies.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 24, 2009, 10:55:11 PM »

Well, I finally polished off Dragon Age (it was awesome) last night, so today I finally was able to get AC2! I've only played... oh let's call it an hour at most. This manual seemed to be quite a bit less than the original if I recall. Though, the in-game stuff tutorial/manual/database stuff seems quite verbose. The beginning Desmond segment was a surprise to put it mildly. I so far, like the Italian setting. I am still early on, as I have just done the first few core memories with Enzo and his brother. I just had the first cut scene with his father and now have the resulting "mission". Other than that I ran around and found 3 of the viewpoints, which was one of my favorite things to do in the original. So far I would say, they've added a lot of "stuff" to the game without breaking the parts I like. So far, so good.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 25, 2009, 01:28:02 AM »

That Lineage movie linked above is really good, anyone who hasn't watched it yet should definitely do so!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: November 25, 2009, 02:09:07 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 23, 2009, 08:39:23 PM

Re: the chase in the catacombs discussed earlier:

Spoiler for Hiden:
 I was watching a gameplay demonstrating and they specifically showed that you could catch up to the runner at the end before he goes through the door.  Damn.  Wish I could replay that section (and the other chase I did elsewhere).  

you can, at any point. Hit start, go to DNA, and then select that memory. There's either 2 or 3 of those moments, IIRC.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 02:11:30 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 25, 2009, 05:23:14 AM »

A few hours in (2nd set of memories) and this is simply fantastic! This retains everything I loved about the original, but adds tons of new stuff, and most importantly a much more entertaining storyline and main character. I still haven't encountered all the new stuff in this game, but I LOVE IT so far.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 25, 2009, 12:48:43 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 25, 2009, 01:28:02 AM

That Lineage movie linked above is really good, anyone who hasn't watched it yet should definitely do so!

it's an 'extra' on the ps3 version...

cleared tuscany, receiving some pretty good steady income, & am still having a great time (tho that tomb you unlock via ubi play (or whatever it is) was a bit of a pita smile )...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 25, 2009, 12:52:10 PM »

Yup, the story definitely starts off slower, but if you hang in there it does make it worth the wait. The game does a nice job of introducing each new feature via a mission. I've done ok in all the mission types so far except racing, which I suck at. Hopefully I never have to race to unlock some critical element of the story.

Also great are all the background conversations you can overhear in the street. Take some time and listen to the spiel of some of the speakers, it can be quite humorous at times.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: November 25, 2009, 12:53:47 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on November 25, 2009, 12:48:43 PM

cleared tuscany, receiving some pretty good steady income, & am still having a great time (tho that tomb you unlock via ubi play (or whatever it is) was a bit of a pita smile )...

Yeah, that tomb annoyed the hell out of me. The camera made some rather simple sections infuriatingly hard because you couldn't really see where you were looking.

Is it possible to continue playing the game after finishing it? I don't know if I should halt my story progression so that I can get all the feathers and glyphs, or if I can see how things turn out without ruining my chances of a Platinum trophy without a second playthrough. Also, if you can continue playing afterwards, can you still remain incognito?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 25, 2009, 01:11:33 PM »

I havent found a single glyph yet..I fear I dont know what I'm looking for...found plentey of other stuff though, and I'm over my third assasination

A new one
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 25, 2009, 01:33:04 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 25, 2009, 12:53:47 PM

Yeah, that tomb annoyed the hell out of me. The camera made some rather simple sections infuriatingly hard because you couldn't really see where you were looking.

yeah - what killed me was, if you tried some of it without setting the timer off, you could swivel the camera?...

Quote from: TiLT on November 25, 2009, 12:53:47 PM

Is it possible to continue playing the game after finishing it? I don't know if I should halt my story progression so that I can get all the feathers and glyphs, or if I can see how things turn out without ruining my chances of a Platinum trophy without a second playthrough. Also, if you can continue playing afterwards, can you still remain incognito

would like to know, also - when i say i 'cleared' an area, i'm not including feathers/missions (just viewpoints, glyphs, & tombs), & doubt i'll do them all before finishing...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 25, 2009, 01:47:11 PM »

From what I understand, you can continue after finishing. 
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 25, 2009, 02:29:27 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 25, 2009, 01:11:33 PM

I havent found a single glyph yet..I fear I dont know what I'm looking for...found plentey of other stuff though, and I'm over my third assasination

They're on the outside of the marked buildings, usually up high and (from what I've seen so far) look like a Greek omega. They'll show up in Eagle Vision (like a bar code?) and you 'scan' them with the triangle/Y key when prompted while looking at them.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 25, 2009, 02:32:20 PM »

They don't always look like an omega, but they do glow even outside of omega vision.  I'm pretty sure there's a scripted scene to introduce the first one.  It's on:

Spoiler for Hiden:
the whorehouse where your mother and sister hide out.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 25, 2009, 03:37:21 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 25, 2009, 02:32:20 PM

They don't always look like an omega, but they do glow even outside of omega vision.  I'm pretty sure there's a scripted scene to introduce the first one.  It's on:

Spoiler for Hiden:

thanks, but that never happened to me, actually - I have now found three though, but I guess I'm missing a lot of them

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 25, 2009, 03:40:10 PM »

glyph 12 was a pain during the second code wheel segment.  I guess I shouldn't be trying to solve puzzles at 3am in the morning.

one thing I've noticed is the medicine makes combat in the game almost too easy; they only times I've died is when misjudging a jump or hitting the jump button at the wrong moment when climbing and bouncing myself off the wall into open air.  I also want to know who thought making the button for grabbing a ledge during high jumps the same button you use to drop down   icon_frown

Because I can,
FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 25, 2009, 05:58:22 PM »

Ok explain.. To get all of the assassin tombs I need to do something with ubi play? I'm hit and miss on the tombs, some I enjoy -- the ones where you have to do it in a certain amount of time before doors close etc is starting to piss me off.  It'd be fine if I was still 12 years old with catlike reflexes, however I am far from that point!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 25, 2009, 06:07:17 PM »

Quote from: FishPants on November 25, 2009, 05:58:22 PM

Ok explain.. To get all of the assassin tombs I need to do something with ubi play? I'm hit and miss on the tombs, some I enjoy -- the ones where you have to do it in a certain amount of time before doors close etc is starting to piss me off.  It'd be fine if I was still 12 years old with catlike reflexes, however I am far from that point!

All of the assassin tombs are already in the game.  There are some additional similar platforming style play areas that came as pre-order bonuses and there is another tomb that you can unlock using U-Play points.  The latter is done just by selecting U-Play from the main menu (Press Y)- you'll get a certain amount of points for progressing through the game and you can use 40 of those points to "purchase" the tomb that semi is referring to.  But it isn't required for anything at all though it gives some nice background on Ezio's ancestry as well as how the Codex came about. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 25, 2009, 06:22:41 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 25, 2009, 03:37:21 PM

Quote from: Chaz on November 25, 2009, 02:32:20 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

thanks, but that never happened to me, actually - I have now found three though, but I guess I'm missing a lot of them

there are 20 altogether,and no matter which one you find you will always get the puzzles in the same order..and then in the end the video is sorted and played

some of the 'viewfinder' ones were hard to do,as i couldn't see what they wanted..it was just blind luck sometimes when i came across it,and other times i would move the square one square at a time,so that eventually i would get it

this is one that got me puzzled for ages,i have cropped the answer from the picture,i moved that damn cursor everywhere and didn't hit it for ages

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: November 25, 2009, 07:00:15 PM »

The flavor text usually gives you hints for the find the orb pics. I got the ine you posted pretty quickly, but the one with Tesla was a pita.  Eventually the game had a 'hit x for hint' pop up on that one, and the hint pretty much told me exactly where it was.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: November 25, 2009, 08:42:30 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 25, 2009, 02:29:27 PM

They're on the outside of the marked buildings, usually up high and (from what I've seen so far) look like a Greek omega. They'll show up in Eagle Vision (like a bar code?) and you 'scan' them with the triangle/Y key when prompted while looking at them.

Actually, there is no "scanning" them, you simply get close to them with eagle vision on. They are all located on dark marked buildings. One of them is a barcode, the greek ruins in Tuscany can be seen from the centre of the ampitheatre, and there are a few that are on churches (on the side of one of the towers), a couple in market places and a few on castles.

www.mycheats.com has a comprehensive map for those of you who want to get them without looking for them. I used mycheats for the remaining feathers but it really didn't help much, as I had 86 of them and that just forced me to look at every single spot (and most of those I had already collected).

Quote from: CeeKay on November 25, 2009, 03:40:10 PM

glyph 12 was a pain during the second code wheel segment.  I guess I shouldn't be trying to solve puzzles at 3am in the morning.

one thing I've noticed is the medicine makes combat in the game almost too easy; they only times I've died is when misjudging a jump or hitting the jump button at the wrong moment when climbing and bouncing myself off the wall into open air.  I also want to know who thought making the button for grabbing a ledge during high jumps the same button you use to drop down   icon_frown

It actually makes sense - B isn't just for dropping down, it's also for catching ledges while falling. When you climb-leap, you're no longer "attached". This also means you can skip some ledges in your ascent. The one move that I didn't even know existed until I was forced to use it while tomb-raiding was the wall-climb / side leap.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 08:44:34 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 25, 2009, 08:58:57 PM »

Quote from: FishPants on November 25, 2009, 05:58:22 PM

nah - some of those timed sections have everything to do with quirky controls, & fixed camera angles, & nothing to do with catlike reflexes smile ...

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 25, 2009, 09:42:28 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 25, 2009, 08:42:30 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 25, 2009, 02:29:27 PM

Actually, there is no "scanning" them, you simply get close to them with eagle vision on.

I'll check the next time I'm playing but I distinctly recall being prompted to scan it. Perhaps that was because I didn't have Eagle Vision on at the time. [shrug] The first one was automatic and actually made me laugh a little - standing on the edge of the roof I turned on Eagle Vision but still had no idea where the damn glyph was when suddenly the whole dialogue sequence / decoding started with me wondering what the hell was going on. Turns out I was standing right over it, it was just down under the edge of the rooftop. D'oh.

-craig

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 25, 2009, 09:51:13 PM »

glyph 12 was a pain during the second code wheel segment.  I guess I shouldn't be trying to solve puzzles at 3am in the morning.

one thing I've noticed is the medicine makes combat in the game almost too easy; they only times I've died is when misjudging a jump or hitting the jump button at the wrong moment when climbing and bouncing myself off the wall into open air.  I also want to know who thought making the button for grabbing a ledge during high jumps the same button you use to drop down   icon_frown

It actually makes sense - B isn't just for dropping down, it's also for catching ledges while falling. When you climb-leap, you're no longer "attached". This also means you can skip some ledges in your ascent. The one move that I didn't even know existed until I was forced to use it while tomb-raiding was the wall-climb / side leap.

it makes sense until you accidentally double tap it and find out that gravity is a bitch....

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 26, 2009, 01:33:40 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 25, 2009, 09:51:13 PM

it makes sense until you accidentally double tap it and find out that gravity is a bitch....

You mean that you are gravity's bitch.  icon_wink

-craig

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 26, 2009, 06:46:18 AM »

Just finished.  Recorded game time was just over 30 hours (but actuality was probably closer to 40 hours since there is *a lot* of stuff the gameplay clock doesn't record).  Total synchro was 94.4%. 

Amazing game all around.  I'm honestly not sure whether this or Uncharted 2 is my GOTY.  It's pretty damn close.  I loved the final area and the ending stuff.  Very intriguing. Though I expect some will hate that aspect of it. 

I hope they make the next game a bit more challenging.  As uber-badass as Ezio was by the end, I would have appreciated a little more difficulty.  If nothing else, at least implement difficulty levels. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 26, 2009, 06:59:10 AM »

While they've gotten rid of a ton of the annoying stuff from the first game, the guard aggro still mystifies me sometimes.  They still have the guards on the roofs that aggro when you're up there.  That would be fine except for all the ladders up to the rooftops all over the place.  Why have them if you're just gonna get mad when I use them?

The free running controls can be pretty squirrelly sometimes too, especially when the camera angle isn't cooperating.  I'd like to see something between this and the AC1 auto-run, especially if you're going to have timed run/chase events. 

Loving everything else.  I just opened up Venice.  It's been a lot of hours so far, and I've even been skipping some side missions lately.  I'm really interested to see what happens with the glyphs storyline.  I hate seeing out of order glimpses of a movie!

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 26, 2009, 11:23:55 AM »

LOL,if i knew this was in the water i would of swam faster in this tomb

NSFW(some swearing)
Giant Squid Easter Egg

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 26, 2009, 01:16:52 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 26, 2009, 06:59:10 AM

While they've gotten rid of a ton of the annoying stuff from the first game, the guard aggro still mystifies me sometimes.  They still have the guards on the roofs that aggro when you're up there.  That would be fine except for all the ladders up to the rooftops all over the place.  Why have them if you're just gonna get mad when I use them?

I read the manual, and it says that the guards on the roofs will always go after you because citizens are not supposed to be on the rooftops (paraphrased).
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: November 26, 2009, 01:32:39 PM »

Man, for all the awesomeness of this game, the timed crypt sequences are absolutely horrible! The camera locks itself to fixed angles that often don't make sense and that make it hard to see what you're supposed to be doing and where you're jumping. The timing is also set up so that a missed jump usually means you have to go back and start the timer anew, but you still have to wait for it to end (which can take more than a minute) before you can start it again. Sometimes you have to go through a long series of jumps to get to your goal, and missing one means you have to start all over again, all the while being under the pressure of the clock.

I was nearly ready to throw my controller at the wall yesterday. It's gotten to the point where going into the crypts is a chore between the fun parts of the game.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 26, 2009, 01:45:16 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 26, 2009, 01:16:52 PM

I read the manual, and it says that the guards on the roofs will always go after you because citizens are not supposed to be on the rooftops (paraphrased).

Yeah, that was the explanation they used in the first game too.  To which I say that if it's illegal for citizens to be on the roofs, you probably shouldn't let them have ladders all over the place.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: November 26, 2009, 01:53:18 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 26, 2009, 01:45:16 PM

Quote from: KePoW on November 26, 2009, 01:16:52 PM

Yeah, that was the explanation they used in the first game too.  To which I say that if it's illegal for citizens to be on the roofs, you probably shouldn't let them have ladders all over the place.

You do realize that the guards have to go up and down as well, right? slywink
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 26, 2009, 01:55:44 PM »

Which reminds me...there are guards so high up, that I have no clue as to how the heck they got there... I mean yes, I'm a super duber assasin-climber, so I can be expected to get up there..but guards? In full armor, with bows??

Also - re the ladders - well, if they didnt have the ladders there for the guards, do you think the citizens could get up there? ;-)

A new one
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 26, 2009, 02:03:25 PM »

The really high places have trap doors and such.  If the guards really need to get on the roofs (and I'm not sure why they do), they should just climb out a window.

The mortality rate for guards on roofs is incredibly high when I roll into town.  I have no patience for them, and 10 throwing knives in my belt.  You'd think they'd learn.   icon_twisted

FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 26, 2009, 02:36:22 PM »

So I "purchased" the u-play tomb, but I've got a few questions (and yes, this one so far was by far the worst for camera angle controls once you hit the timer)..  Also you guys know that if you fall, you can usually reset the switch without waiting for it to complete right? I've only had a few where I couldn't press B again to restart it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
So I go through serious asspain to get to the tomb.. and there was 1500f in chests.. That's it? Seriously? Did I miss something good, or is that really it? The story was interesting, but I expected something better than that

I also realized last night in the villa you have a weapons and armor room... where you can change to other items... that explains why I had pieces of leather, metal and so on equipped -- oh and I was still using a dagger instead of all the fancier knives I had bought  icon_mad Here I thought it was just automatically equipping the "best" items -- not so.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 26, 2009, 02:39:34 PM »

That reminds me - what is the reason for buying daggers? I never use it - only the hidden blade and the sword

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 26, 2009, 03:32:09 PM »

Quote from: FishPants on November 26, 2009, 02:36:22 PM

I also realized last night in the villa you have a weapons and armor room... where you can change to other items... that explains why I had pieces of leather, metal and so on equipped -- oh and I was still using a dagger instead of all the fancier knives I had bought  icon_mad Here I thought it was just automatically equipping the "best" items -- not so.

It will automatically equip you most recent purchase. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 26, 2009, 03:32:40 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 26, 2009, 02:39:34 PM

That reminds me - what is the reason for buying daggers? I never use it - only the hidden blade and the sword

Daggers typically have high speed- makes it quite easy to overwhelm an enemy.

They also have really awesome finishing moves. 
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 26, 2009, 03:39:57 PM »

So, you use them instead of swords, and not together with swords?

A new one
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: