http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 10:49:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assassin's Creed 2 interest? (Now with Impressions - starting on pg 2)  (Read 28755 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: November 23, 2009, 02:37:32 PM »

Heh, every game has a marco polo connection these days.

And yeah, I would love to see an AC in China, all that Confucian architecture and the whole Chinese wushu assassin motif.

Speaking of which, I never played AC1 since I wasn't into the repetition, but it looks like AC2 is where to start for the gameplay.  What will I miss in terms of story, should I youtube it or something?
FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 23, 2009, 02:49:02 PM »

Ok I need help with one of the assassination side missions...

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm on the Kill 10 brutes in 60 seconds mission, and I am getting pretty pissed off with it.  I've hired the gang of mercenaries and send them in.. I'm then jumping in behind each of the brutes and killing them with the hidden blade; but the damn cutscenes while killing them chew up a lot of time.

The closest I've come yet is 9 dead in the minute, but the fact that you have to start over with the run every time just to get there is driving me a little batshit crazy.. Why can't it save right before the fight?

Anyways I've read online about people using smokebombs (Don't have those yet..).. So what am I missing? Is there a faster way to one-hit kill them when behind them other than using your hidden blade?

I've been loving this game so far, but this is really starting to irk me.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: November 23, 2009, 02:55:29 PM »

Quote from: FishPants on November 23, 2009, 02:49:02 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm on the Kill 10 brutes in 60 seconds mission, and I am getting pretty pissed off with it.  I've hired the gang of mercenaries and send them in.. I'm then jumping in behind each of the brutes and killing them with the hidden blade; but the damn cutscenes while killing them chew up a lot of time.

The closest I've come yet is 9 dead in the minute, but the fact that you have to start over with the run every time just to get there is driving me a little batshit crazy.. Why can't it save right before the fight?

Anyways I've read online about people using smokebombs (Don't have those yet..).. So what am I missing? Is there a faster way to one-hit kill them when behind them other than using your hidden blade?

Spoiler for Hiden:
You've got the right idea, but must be doing something wrong in execution. I hired the mercenaries and told them to attack, then waited until the skirmish had started before I struck. Make sure you move behind the guards before stabbing them. If you stand in front of them, they'll parry and you'll waste valuable seconds. See if you can stab two at the same time. I failed the first time because I wasn't aware of the problems with standing in front of them, but for my second attempt I had taken down 9 of them in 30 seconds and could take my time with the final one.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 23, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »

LOL

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 23, 2009, 04:50:39 PM »

hmmm - the game locked up the first time I tried to play it. Installing it now to see if that clears the issue...

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 23, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 23, 2009, 02:37:32 PM

Speaking of which, I never played AC1 since I wasn't into the repetition, but it looks like AC2 is where to start for the gameplay.  What will I miss in terms of story, should I youtube it or something?

Yes, wiki and youtube it.  Really what you need is the beginning stuff (both "current time" and crusades), end stuff (both again), and then the stuff from the "modern day" throughout.  Most of the crusades stuff in the middle is filler. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 23, 2009, 05:06:17 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I haven't done that one yet but from your description it sounds like smoke bombs would help enormously.  So you might want to just wait until you obtain them.  As TiLT say, you should be able to use almost any weapon to kill an enemy from behind in one hit. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 23, 2009, 05:17:42 PM »

I have a question about something that happens towards the end of the segment when you leave the Animus 2.0 for the first time:

Spoiler for Hiden:
during the flashback/dream about Acre Desmond says 'it's that girl from Acre'.  I don't really remember there being any girl at all in the first game.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 23, 2009, 05:22:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 23, 2009, 05:17:42 PM

I have a question about something that happens towards the end of the segment when you leave the Animus 2.0 for the first time:

Spoiler for Hiden:
during the flashback/dream about Acre Desmond says 'it's that girl from Acre'.  I don't really remember there being any girl at all in the first game.

Spoiler for Hiden:
That's Maria.  She showed up near the end of AC1 as a double for Robert De Sable (templar boss).  When Altair finds out it was a girl, he spared her.  Their story continues on a bit in Bloodlines for the PSP.

I'm quite happy that they provided some more story here.  Her reveal in the first game was always a WTF moment for me because it felt like the game assigned some kind of significance to it but I couldn't figure out why.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 23, 2009, 05:24:19 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

I may be misremembering, but I think there's an option to adjust how often the killing cutscenes appear in the options menu.  also, have you tried the poison blade?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 23, 2009, 05:26:10 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 23, 2009, 05:22:02 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 23, 2009, 05:17:42 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
That's Maria.  She showed up near the end of AC1 as a double for Robert De Sable (templar boss).  When Altair finds out it was a girl, he spared her.  Their story continues on a bit in Bloodlines for the PSP.

I'm quite happy that they provided some more story here.  Her reveal in the first game was always a WTF moment for me because it felt like the game assigned some kind of significance to it but I couldn't figure out why.

thanks.  I totally forgot about the way that part ended.

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 23, 2009, 05:30:09 PM »

I actually had a soft lock too.  It was just after a mid-mission cutscene.  When the world was loading back up, the HUD came up, but the rest of the screen stayed white with the diamond with an exclamation point icon in the middle.  I apparently still had control, but couldn't see anything.  Rebooted the game and it loaded find after that.  This is with the game installed.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 23, 2009, 05:33:22 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 23, 2009, 05:30:09 PM

I actually had a soft lock too.  It was just after a mid-mission cutscene.  When the world was loading back up, the HUD came up, but the rest of the screen stayed white with the diamond with an exclamation point icon in the middle.  I apparently still had control, but couldn't see anything.  Rebooted the game and it loaded find after that.  This is with the game installed.

a real assassin wouldn't need to see what he was doing  Truthiness!

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 23, 2009, 08:34:58 PM »

I started the campaign yesterday and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I am enjoying the game. In the first one it dropped you into things too quickly at times. I'm still running around as a shiftless youth in Florence and having a good time causing trouble.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 23, 2009, 08:39:23 PM »

Re: the chase in the catacombs discussed earlier:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  I was watching a gameplay demonstrating and they specifically showed that you could catch up to the runner at the end before he goes through the door.  Damn.  Wish I could replay that section (and the other chase I did elsewhere). 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 23, 2009, 08:49:27 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 23, 2009, 08:39:23 PM

Re: the chase in the catacombs discussed earlier:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  I was watching a gameplay demonstrating and they specifically showed that you could catch up to the runner at the end before he goes through the door.  Damn.  Wish I could replay that section (and the other chase I did elsewhere). 

IIRC the first game let you replay memories after you finished the game.  I haven't finished this one yet though so I'm not sure if that's possible.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 23, 2009, 08:51:28 PM »

The only areas you can replay are the side missions (couriers, races, etc).  The other stuff is not replayable.  I think that feature got cut for time.  That's a shame because there is a bunch of stuff I'd like to redo in a different way. 
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 23, 2009, 10:48:21 PM »

How am I supposed to use courtesans in the game? I run up to them when being chased but nothing happens and I can't seem to figure out how to trigger it.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 23, 2009, 10:57:16 PM »

just press Y to hire them,that is if you have been introduced to them by their boss in the story,it doesn't work until that point

Quote from: Pharaoh on November 23, 2009, 02:34:56 PM

Metal, in part 1 she bends her finger back to show you she understands the assassin code and is one of them. She still has it in 1, thats why she still has it in part 2  icon_smile

yeah,seems there is some discussion whether you she bent her finger...but she did,you can see it when she is on the keyboard,i could of sworn when i first played AC1 you could see it missing all through the game

i had a lock up while loading Venice when i exited the mountains(when i went back there on foot)...good to know other people have been having lock ups as well(my game is installed also)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 23, 2009, 10:59:30 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 23, 2009, 10:57:16 PM

just press Y to hire them,that is if you have been introduced to them by their boss in the story,it doesn't work until that point

Thanks!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 24, 2009, 06:24:23 AM »

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 24, 2009, 07:12:09 AM »

I'm not crazy about the new eagle vision.  I miss that the highlights remain when you leave it.  Granted, now you can move around while it's on, but everything's so dark that you can't actually navigate.  This is posing a problem in a mission where I have to track a target amongst a crowd of similarly-dressed dudes while staying blended.  Very hard to track the guy without eagle vision, and very hard to stay in cover with it.

Or it could be that I'm a terrible assassin at 2am. 

I still love all the collectible stuff.  I don't know that I'll get all the feathers, but definitely getting all the glyphs and codices, plus going to finish improving the villa.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 24, 2009, 07:33:55 AM »

TBH i hardly used the Eagle Vision,even when collecting Feathers,i found normal vision was fine for that...it reminded me of when Frodo puts on the ring in LOTR

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 24, 2009, 01:55:16 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 24, 2009, 07:12:09 AM

I'm not crazy about the new eagle vision.  I miss that the highlights remain when you leave it.  Granted, now you can move around while it's on, but everything's so dark that you can't actually navigate.  This is posing a problem in a mission where I have to track a target amongst a crowd of similarly-dressed dudes while staying blended.  Very hard to track the guy without eagle vision, and very hard to stay in cover with it.

Usually once you have picked out the mark the game will then tag them with an arrow (usually blue) that you can see when you disengage Eagle Vision. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 24, 2009, 01:58:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 24, 2009, 01:55:16 PM

Quote from: Chaz on November 24, 2009, 07:12:09 AM

Usually once you have picked out the mark the game will then tag them with an arrow (usually blue) that you can see when you disengage Eagle Vision. 

Hmm...I didn't notice that, but it's entirely possible it does.  I'm not 100% observant at 2am.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 24, 2009, 02:30:13 PM »

I should clarify- I think that's only for follow missions which is what I'm assuming you are talking about.  If it's just marking a tarkget in a crowd then you won't get the blue arrow however whenever you approach within their notice range you'll see the Yellow "awareness" arrow pop up over their head and you should have enough time to back off but they notice you and run. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 24, 2009, 02:47:48 PM »

Put in a few more hours yesterday, and I think I'm done with AC2.  I can see why everyone likes it, but to me it feels almost identical to the first game.  Probably just bad timing, as I pretty recently tried replaying AC 1 and simply got bored with it halfway through (again).

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 24, 2009, 02:49:23 PM »

I'm curious about something... the Tailor has the option to dye your clothing various colors and I'm wondering if that will be needed for a mission based objective at some point (and I'll be directed to do so) or if I should just try it sometime on my own? As to where I am in the timeline at the moment, currently in Memory 3 and rode a horse for the first time to join Uncle "It's a me" Mario. Not sure if I really need to do this, but I'll spoiler a guess as to the dye use and feel free to spoiler the answer if needed.

Spoiler for Hiden:
While I can blend with normal folks walking the street, I seem to recall not being able to blend with the monks(?) in the dark robes, will I need to dye my clothes to blend in with them at some point?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 24, 2009, 02:49:50 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 24, 2009, 02:47:48 PM

Put in a few more hours yesterday, and I think I'm done with AC2.  I can see why everyone likes it, but to me it feels almost identical to the first game.  Probably just bad timing, as I pretty recently tried replaying AC 1 and simply got bored with it halfway through (again).

How far did you get?  I'd say play at least until you get to your villa but if you don't like the game by that point then, yeah, it probably isn't for you.  
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 24, 2009, 02:51:14 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 24, 2009, 02:49:23 PM

I'm curious about something... the Tailor has the option to dye your clothing various colors and I'm wondering if that will be needed for a mission based objective at some point (and I'll be directed to do so) or if I should just try it sometime on my own? As to where I am in the timeline at the moment, currently in Memory 3 and rode a horse for the first time to join Uncle "It's a me" Mario. Not sure if I really need to do this, but I'll spoiler a guess as to the dye use and feel free to spoiler the answer if needed.

Spoiler for Hiden:
While I can blend with normal folks walking the street, I seem to recall not being able to blend with the monks(?) in the dark robes, will I need to dye my clothes to blend in with them at some point?

As far as I can tell (Sequence 10), dyeing is purely for aesthetic reasons and has no impact on gameplay.  Those parts of your clothing ensemble that do effect your notoriety rating will be given to you as part of the story. 
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 24, 2009, 02:57:25 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 24, 2009, 02:51:14 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 24, 2009, 02:49:23 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

As far as I can tell (Sequence 10), dyeing is purely for aesthetic reasons and has no impact on gameplay.  Those parts of your clothing ensemble that do effect your notoriety rating will be given to you as part of the story. 

Thanks Kevin.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 24, 2009, 03:02:46 PM »

I know we had a thread on it around here somewhere but I've got to recommend people check out the Assassin's Creed: Lineage movie that Ubi put out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcE8xJkK6t4&feature=channel

It's 35 minutes long, sets up the story of the game amazingly well, and pretty well done.  I have no idea how much it cost but it couldn't have been cheap. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 24, 2009, 03:06:59 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 24, 2009, 02:49:50 PM

Put in a few more hours yesterday, and I think I'm done with AC2.  I can see why everyone likes it, but to me it feels almost identical to the first game.  Probably just bad timing, as I pretty recently tried replaying AC 1 and simply got bored with it halfway through (again).

How far did you get?  I'd say play at least until you get to your villa but if you don't like the game by that point then, yeah, it probably isn't for you.  

I was working on the assassination mission right after getting to the villa, and found I've simply lost any interest to keep playing. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 24, 2009, 03:11:13 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 24, 2009, 03:06:59 PM

Put in a few more hours yesterday, and I think I'm done with AC2.  I can see why everyone likes it, but to me it feels almost identical to the first game.  Probably just bad timing, as I pretty recently tried replaying AC 1 and simply got bored with it halfway through (again).

How far did you get?  I'd say play at least until you get to your villa but if you don't like the game by that point then, yeah, it probably isn't for you. 

I was working on the assassination mission right after getting to the villa, and found I've simply lost any interest to keep playing. 

Ah, too bad then.  Maybe come back to it in a year or so when the memory of the first game isn't so fresh?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 24, 2009, 03:39:29 PM »

OK, I have fallen in love with throwing knives.  a pickpocket or a courier running from you?  as soon as you see them, target them, hit the right bumper to select throwing knives, then hitting X to throw one usually ends a chase very quickly.  last night I picked off a pickpocket climbing onto a roof and the game even automatically gave me the look instead of having to run over and loot the body.now I just need to unlock a bigger pouch for smoke bombs....

last night I also found a viewpoint in Venice that I could not figure out how to get up.  is it safe to assume there's a skill/gadget you get later on that gives you a boost to your jumping ability?

I also found another symbol last night and was having a terrible time finding the hidden orb in it.  after a bit of trying an option to hit X for a hint popped up, and everyone's favorite brit broke in to pretty much tell me where it was.  this game also has some off the wall achievements; I poisoned one guard while fighting a bunch, and during the fight I ended up jumping off a low lying fence to kill him, which gave me one called 'the doctor', which apparently you get for doing exactly what I did.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 24, 2009, 03:50:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 24, 2009, 03:39:29 PM

OK, I have fallen in love with throwing knives.  a pickpocket or a courier running from you?  as soon as you see them, target them, hit the right bumper to select throwing knives, then hitting X to throw one usually ends a chase very quickly.  last night I picked off a pickpocket climbing onto a roof and the game even automatically gave me the look instead of having to run over and loot the body.now I just need to unlock a bigger pouch for smoke bombs....

I'm in Sequence 10 so I'm nearing the end and I still haven't found a pouch to upgrade smoke bombs.  

last night I also found a viewpoint in Venice that I could not figure out how to get up.  is it safe to assume there's a skill/gadget you get later on that gives you a boost to your jumping ability?

Yes- play a couple of story missions in Venice and you'll be able to scale anything.  
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 24, 2009, 03:57:59 PM »

You don't upgrade them any more, 3 is all you get

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 24, 2009, 04:00:53 PM »

That's too bad.  I love the smoke bombs. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 24, 2009, 04:05:59 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 24, 2009, 03:11:13 PM

Quote from: Gratch on November 24, 2009, 03:06:59 PM

How far did you get?  I'd say play at least until you get to your villa but if you don't like the game by that point then, yeah, it probably isn't for you. 

Ah, too bad then.  Maybe come back to it in a year or so when the memory of the first game isn't so fresh?

Yep, that's the plan.  smile

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 24, 2009, 06:08:31 PM »

Okay, I played a few hours, and got a hidden blade now...and I'm scared to do anythin but the story missions - am I missing out on something here, or can I go back and get collectibles eventually when I feel more safe in the game? Every damn guard is after me Im sure, and I'm not at all sure if I'm supposed to do other stuff yet

A new one
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: