http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:45:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assassin's Creed 2 interest? (Now with Impressions - starting on pg 2)  (Read 29295 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2009, 04:55:04 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 17, 2009, 04:45:29 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 17, 2009, 04:42:56 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 17, 2009, 04:16:59 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 17, 2009, 04:09:10 PM

the building seem to have less handholds than I remember and you will be using the right trigger a lot.

I've read that they tried to make climbing a little more challenging this time around. 

it was either that or all the whiskey  icon_lol

Hey CeeKay, since you're online, can you please tell me if L1/L2 or R1/R2 are used for anything this time around?

I always screw up the numbering, but on the 360 the right trigger is high profile actions, the left trigger is lock on, but I cannot remember if the upper left or right buttons have any functions mapped to them; if they do it wasn't anything I had to use yet.  I'd check the manual, but it's at home.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2009, 05:08:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 17, 2009, 04:55:04 PM

the building seem to have less handholds than I remember and you will be using the right trigger a lot.

I've read that they tried to make climbing a little more challenging this time around. 

Hey CeeKay, since you're online, can you please tell me if L1/L2 or R1/R2 are used for anything this time around?

I always screw up the numbering, but on the 360 the right trigger is high profile actions, the left trigger is lock on, but I cannot remember if the upper left or right buttons have any functions mapped to them; if they do it wasn't anything I had to use yet.  I'd check the manual, but it's at home.

Ok cool thanks man
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2009, 06:19:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 16, 2009, 08:33:43 PM

I'm hearing conflicting reports over whether it's actually a demo- one person said it's a code you enter on Ubi's site and get the download from that (not up yet apparently).  If it was a game demo I would expect it would be through Live and not through the internet.  So it may just be an exclusive video or trailer or something. 

it's not a demo for SC:Conviction...just a handful of lame mp3s, ringtones, and a single ugly wallpaper.  what a waste...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2009, 06:29:20 PM »

I have it here.
LT = Target Lock
LB = Contextual Cameras (probably don't need to use much)
RT = High Profile
RB = Weapon Selector

I've been playing for a few hours and so far I'm having a blast. The story is woven into the action a bit more this time and the city is beautiful. The beginning section was a little strange and lame because I never finished AC1, but it only lasted 15 minutes or so. There's a movie to catch you up on the AC1 story that puts the beginning in context, but I was distracted getting my cats off of the kitchen counter and wasn't paying attention to it. smile

So far, so good. I'm having a blast and enjoying exploring.

xbox live: nude rick james
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2009, 06:38:57 PM »

Quote from: Clay on November 17, 2009, 06:29:20 PM

I have it here.
LT = Target Lock
LB = Contextual Cameras (probably don't need to use much)
RT = High Profile
RB = Weapon Selector

I've been playing for a few hours and so far I'm having a blast. The story is woven into the action a bit more this time and the city is beautiful. The beginning section was a little strange and lame because I never finished AC1, but it only lasted 15 minutes or so. There's a movie to catch you up on the AC1 story that puts the beginning in context, but I was distracted getting my cats off of the kitchen counter and wasn't paying attention to it. smile

So far, so good. I'm having a blast and enjoying exploring.

That beginning section is what should have been at the end of the first game.  So it felt like there was an actual, you know, ending. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
I enjoyed the comment made by the snarky Brit that Desmond "didn't even try to escape."

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2009, 06:58:50 PM »

Best line from AC2 so far... 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Running an errand for Mom and she is talking about painting/art and how it is good for people to have an outlet. My character says, "... but I have an outlet." Mom says, "I mean something other than vaginas."  biggrin

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2009, 07:24:02 PM »

I have this coming in today.  I was playing AC1 when my 360 crapped out two years ago, and I never finished it.  The plan is to finish AC1 before I start 2.

I just checked my last earned achievement against an FAQ.  I'm only halfway through 1.  Damn.  frown

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2009, 07:25:10 PM »

Well I decided to go with the 360 version.  Installed on my HD now and I'll get to playing shortly.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2009, 07:27:14 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 17, 2009, 07:24:02 PM

I have this coming in today.  I was playing AC1 when my 360 crapped out two years ago, and I never finished it.  The plan is to finish AC1 before I start 2.

I just checked my last earned achievement against an FAQ.  I'm only halfway through 1.  Damn.  frown

If you played half of AC1. you've played all of AC1.  It never changes.  Just look up the ending on Wikipedia. 
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2009, 10:19:07 PM »

Quote from: Clay on November 17, 2009, 06:58:50 PM

Best line from AC2 so far... 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Running an errand for Mom and she is talking about painting/art and how it is good for people to have an outlet. My character says, "... but I have an outlet." Mom says, "I mean something other than vaginas."  biggrin

I liked when you meet your uncle
Spoiler for Hiden:
it's a me, Mario!

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2009, 10:32:25 PM »

So far I feel like it's started off really slow and dull.  I played AC1, but I still wanted a controls refresher and they make you start fighting with no instruction and the tips they finally give you are too little, too late.  I hope it gets better.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2009, 10:51:13 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 17, 2009, 10:32:25 PM

So far I feel like it's started off really slow and dull.  I played AC1, but I still wanted a controls refresher and they make you start fighting with no instruction and the tips they finally give you are too little, too late.  I hope it gets better.
It does. I felt the same way, after your first assassination it starts to pick up. I'm still having mixed feelings about it, but it does pick up

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2009, 10:58:12 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on November 17, 2009, 10:51:13 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 17, 2009, 10:32:25 PM

It does. I felt the same way, after your first assassination it starts to pick up. I'm still having mixed feelings about it, but it does pick up

Good news, thanks!  I guess I was just expecting more from the get go.  I shall keep on, keeping on!
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2009, 01:21:32 AM »

I picked this up today, but with Forza 3 and MW2 taking up my time I might save this for the holidays. Glad that the reviews have been so overwhelmingly positive.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2009, 01:28:52 AM »

So, is it wrong that my first 'real' Achievement (after the gimmie ones anyway) was Kleptomaniac? And worse yet, that I've done it 10 times over already? biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2009, 02:59:03 AM »

Target had a whole bunch of these, so naturally, I had to grab one.
PS3 version.
Since that's the only console I have, there wasn't much choice.
Loved the first game, even though I never finished it.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2009, 03:21:17 AM »

Well, I've put about 6 hours into this today and I have to say that it's easily my game of the year. The only other real contender was Batman: AA, which I completed, and I like AC2 much more. (I'm not a bit comic book fan, though, and I'm digging the historical aspects of AC2.) The first 20 minutes were a little slow, but once it opens up, it's a ton of fun.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2009, 04:51:04 AM »

OK I've played about 4 hours now and I gotta say I am incredibly disappointed.  All the talk is that they changed all the problems, but the game is pretty much the same, except in Italy.  As far as I can tell, the only thing they changed is that you don't have to do all the repetitive side missions to do an assassination, but they're still there.  As you go through the tutorial (hours), it basically opens up missions as you beat that "type".  They are just available in the open world, instead of being tied to the assassination itself.  I foresee a ton of repetition.  If something magically changes after a couple more hours, then so be it, but I'll be shocked if that's the case.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2009, 12:30:01 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 18, 2009, 04:51:04 AM

OK I've played about 4 hours now and I gotta say I am incredibly disappointed. 

Quote from: Clay on November 18, 2009, 03:21:17 AM

Well, I've put about 6 hours into this today and I have to say that it's easily my game of the year.

Must be a really great fifth and sixth hour!

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »

I bought into the last game too early last time.  I'm going to be waiting until all of you have actually finished the game before I start to take any impressions into account.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2009, 12:50:58 PM »

Game starts off real slow...too slow, imo.   I'm probably an hour in and I am getting that more of the same feeling..

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2009, 01:58:25 PM »

Assassin's Creed 1 has the rather dubious distinction of being the longest game I've ever finished that I didn't really care for.  However I'm loving Assassin's Creed 2 and it was hell putting the controller down last night when it was time for bed. 

I like the slow beginning because it actually takes the time to tell us about Enzio and his world.  Altair was a total dick in the first game but i actually like Enzio and his family.  I also love the addition of an economy to the game- makes for a lot more motivation to explore and discover things plus I just love that after I deliver a massive beatdown I can loot their bodies.

Lots of neat mechanical improvements too- the blending in groups thing is now far more useful.  Enemies have a defined area that they will search if they lose sight of you, and the guard suspicion indicators are much clearer.  Feels like just the tip of the surface too since there are tons of things that the game hasn't unlocked yet. 

AC1 felt like they spent all of their time on mechanics and building a world but ran out of time when it came to putting in actual content.  AC2 feels like the game that AC1 should have been. 
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2009, 02:01:14 PM »

AC2 feels like the game that AC1 should have been. 

that does sound quite good! I'm a little concerned about the dissenting voices I read about in other places, but I *loved* the first one, I just never got around to finish it. I hope you still feel like that all the way through!

A new one
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2009, 03:40:34 PM »

By the way, reviews are out.  IGN 9.2, TeamXbox 9.5.

MW2 has it's claws in me now so I'm going to hold off buying this.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2009, 03:57:40 PM »

Must... finish... Dragon Age...

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2009, 03:59:32 PM »

The reviews certainly look promising, but I'd be more interested in hearing reviews/impressions a few more hours in, which is where the first one fell flat on it's face for me.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2009, 04:00:08 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 18, 2009, 03:57:40 PM

Must... finish... Dragon Age...

Heh, I treat super long games like DA as long term projects.  When something like MW2 or AC2 comes along, I'll take a break play them, and then return to Dragon Age.  I remember I started The Witcher when it first came out at the end of October '07 and didn't finish it until sometime around January '08.  I don't think it will take quite that long to finish DA but we'll see.  
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2009, 04:06:17 PM »

I'm loving it so far, but I do two minor quibbles:

Early on you get a sword, and then lose it a bit later.  it was a regular sword (heck, they call it 'a common sword' in your inventory), and all the guards have one, yet you cannot pick their up after you take them down, even if it is sitting in the streets right in front of you yet you can rifle through their pockets no problem.

Guards AI:  I've noticed it seems to be lacking.  One guard comes up the ladder, I grab him and throw him off the roof.  the next guard comes up, I do the same.  did it 5 times in a row, you'd think they'd learn  icon_lol.  I also watched 2 guards jump back and forth between two roofs as they apparently could not figure out how to chase me.  I felt like I could sit down and pull out a bag of popcorn to watch them for awhile (this happens a lot it seems, just not always as humorous).  perhaps by making climbing a bit more difficult they broke the guard chase AI.

beyond those I really like the symbol puzzles (first one took me awhile before I realized they were giving me a hint in the description).  the hidden knife jump is back and awesome as ever- guards run away, but the only thing they get is to die tired.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2009, 05:41:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 18, 2009, 04:06:17 PM

Early on you get a sword, and then lose it a bit later.  it was a regular sword (heck, they call it 'a common sword' in your inventory), and all the guards have one, yet you cannot pick their up after you take them down, even if it is sitting in the streets right in front of you yet you can rifle through their pockets no problem.

You haven't 'learned' how to pick up guard weapons yet. Yes, I know it doesn't make any sense at all, but it's true.

And yes, the AI still has some serious issues - as you stated, standing on a rooftop knocking off guards one by one is the best defense by far (forget hiding - this is easier and faster). Just not as fun as running for your life.

And I'm not a fan at all of the 'pick 5 out of 10' things. I feel outright sorry for people without HD TVs, as you really have to look hard (or fully understand the picture you're looking at) to figure out those puzzles.

Final thought - wall climbing isn't as easy as it was in say InFamous. I've actually had Enzo get 'stuck' on a wall - I got him into a position via climbing that he wouldn't move at all (short of dropping off the wall and falling down). Most of the time it works great - other times you're cursing the character out for his stupidity.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2009, 05:46:57 PM »

I only played for half an hour so far so not much in the way of impressions from me, but I sure wish developers would learn from Half Life 2 which came out years ago and learn how to do proper lip-synching.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2009, 06:10:10 PM »

Final thought - wall climbing isn't as easy as it was in say InFamous.

thank go for that. It felt like the guy in inFamOuS was wearing a Velcro suit, and every little thing in the city that could get in your way was also covered in Velcro and you'd find yourself sticking on the damnedest things     .

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »

Played more while home for lunch and it made me late coming back to work!  I'm pleased to see that, like Batman:AA, the collectibles are done right- fair and fun with either direct incentives or relevance to the story.  In fact if the release window between the two titles wasn't so close I would say that they lifted the collectible system right from AA. 
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2009, 07:39:58 PM »

Seen on Kotaku:

I wanna know where the Pikmin and Banjo-Kajooie elements come in.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:41:58 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2009, 08:12:40 PM »

I asked for this for my birthday next week.

YK: "Umm....I thought of a birthday present I'd like to have."

Wife: "I've already bought your birthday present!"

YK: "Yeah but the baby hasn't bought me one yet..."

I think I've got a 50% shot of this ploy actually working.  paranoid

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2009, 08:23:30 PM »

Damnit YK - make up a ploy that *doesnt* involve a baby so others can use it okay??

A new one
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2009, 08:38:30 PM »

I don't get that chart, there is tons of repetition in the game.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2009, 08:57:50 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 18, 2009, 08:38:30 PM

the only repetition I see here is the repetition of you whining about repetition repeatedly  Tongue

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2009, 08:59:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 18, 2009, 08:57:50 PM

the only repetition I see here is the repetition of you whining about repetition repeatedly  Tongue

*shakes fist* My voice will be heard!  icon_razz
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2009, 09:05:19 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 18, 2009, 08:59:28 PM

SILENCIO!

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2009, 09:16:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 18, 2009, 09:05:19 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 18, 2009, 08:59:28 PM

SILENCIO!

Nothing but repeated calls for silence!!!  ninja
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: