http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 08:51:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assasin's Creed..E3 Trailer...  (Read 2477 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/772/772025/vids_1.html

This game looks too good to be true........

Grace: Unmerited favor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 03:40:34 PM »

I'm going to treat this one like Bioshock-  no new videos until the game is out!  it's too much torture, but not the good nipple twisting kind of torture.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 03:59:15 PM »

That trailer is better than the one at the MS event last night (since I guess that was played in real time), but I still have my doubts. The crowd reactions don't look much different from the GTA pedestrians', and the fighting AI didn't look the smartest ("yes, let's all wait patiently so that he only has to attack one guy at a time"). Still, the graphics are impressive and the scope of the city makes it looks like there should be lots of area to cover.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 04:11:46 PM »

I think Assassin's Creed looks very promising, but I sure wish they'd get somebody to do their live demonstrations besides Jade Raymond.  I thought she did a poor job back when she was a correspondent on G4's Electric Playground because she just was inexperienced and disinterested in the interviewees, but now she's a producer on Creed and she's *still* vague and disinterested.  This woman could make Spore seem bland and unoriginal.

I know everybody is all enamored with her because she's cute in that Volumizing-Hair-Conditioner-Commercial sort of way, but there are lots of girls in the world who are capable of looking nice *and* making oral presentations that don't sound as though they're counting the seconds until they're finished.

-Autistic Angel
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 09:04:03 PM »

Besides the graphics (and theme), the control scheme makes this one interesting.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/11/joystiq-hands-on-assassins-creed/

The first thing we had to come to grips with was the control scheme. As Ubisoft puts it, the buttons are laid out to correspond to parts of the body (the demo was running on a 360, so the buttons here refer to a 360 controller). The Y button is for the head (vision commands), X is for the weapon hand, B is for the unarmed hand, and A is for the feet. The right trigger serves as a modifier, switching Altair from "low profile" actions to "high profile" actions. As you would expect, high profile actions are more likely to get you noticed by guards. So, for example, the B button causes Altair to politely brush people aside as he walks by. With the right trigger held down, the B button forcibly grabs and pushes people away (which is handy for dealing with pesky beggars). This use of the right trigger allows Altair to alternate between behaviors like blending in with the crowd and walking (low profile) with others like sprinting and tackling those in your way (high profile).

Upon reaching our target within the fortified area, we were greeted by his cadre of personal guards, giving us a prime opportunity to explore the combat system. The left trigger targets your nearest opponent and the X, B, and A buttons allow you to attack, grab, and advance respectively. Holding down the right trigger transforms X, B, and A into counter, counter grab, and backstep. The combat felt highly reminiscent of Prince of Persia, as counters were the most effective way of dispatching enemies.

At least it's not the same old thing, huh?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 09:35:12 PM »

That sounds absolutely awesome brendan. Unlike some here, still super stoked for this one.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 10:45:49 PM »

Super duper supercalifragilistically stoked for this one.  This and Mass Effect are my number one and two most wanted games of the year.  God, I can't wait for them.  Finally, something dripping with quality and different.  What I have been wanting since the words next-gen were first penned.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 11:40:55 PM by mikeg » Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 11:22:44 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on July 11, 2007, 10:45:49 PM

Super duper supercalifragilistic stoked for this one.  This and Mass Effect are my number one and two most wanted games of the year.  God, I can't wait for them.  Finally, something dripping with quality and different.  What I have been wanting since the words next-gen were first penned.

Same.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 11:37:02 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on July 11, 2007, 10:45:49 PM

Super duper supercalifragilistic stoked for this one.  This and Mass Effect are my number one and two most wanted games of the year.  God, I can't wait for them.  Finally, something dripping with quality and different.  What I have been wanting since the words next-gen were first penned.

ditto

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 12:11:03 AM »

GameSpot is running a live stage demo of Assassin's Creed right now if anyone is interested.

-Autistic Angel
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 12:54:16 AM »

From the stage demo:

1. Jade Raymond has not read Ray Bradbury's "The Sound of Thunder."

2. In addition to his melee weapons, Altair can carry a limited number of throwing daggers.  The exact limit is determined by the player's rank as an assassin, and the weapons are instant-kills if they connect.

3. Noteworthy characters will be outlined in white when targeted.  This includes enemies you are currently fighting as well as "thugs" in the crowd who can be pickpocketed to get valuable items.

4. There is no time travel in the game.

5. Over 200 real people were photographed, and their facial features were then randomized to create a vast number of distinct in-game people.

6. You do not kill any popes.

7. The city and animations were inspired by "free-running" as seen in the movie District B13.

8. You start out the game at maximum assassin level, but then lost much your equipment and need to work to regain it.  (Think: Metroid, Symphony of the Night, God of War II, etc.)

9. The game is intended to last about 40 hours, and it's possible there will be future additions in the form of downloadable content.

10. Some of the equipment includes special gloves that allow you to regain your grip on a ledge, boots that help you regain your balance, a short sword, and upgrades for your primary sword.

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 03:52:23 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 12, 2007, 12:54:16 AM

9. The game is intended to last about 40 hours, and it's possible there will be future additions in the form of downloadable content.

dude!  I am so far IN I can taste Jade's tonsils!

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 04:20:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 12, 2007, 03:52:23 AM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 12, 2007, 12:54:16 AM

Mmmm...Jade's tonsils...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 04:29:29 PM »

I'm not sure why, but for a while now I've heard people talking about Assasin's Creed and I haven't really paid much attention.  I didn't know much about the game and figured I'd wait for reviews or to hear what GT or OO gamers thought about the game once it was released.  But, now after watching the trailer and reading up on the game, it has skyrocketed up to near the top of my must-have list. 

I cannot wait to play this game.   icon_eek 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 05:39:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay
Quote from: Autistic Angel

GameSpot has posted the full stage demo on their website if you want to see it for yourself.  Jade talks about the game's length at about 17:50:

Quote from: GameSpot
Jade Raymond:So, Assassin's Creed is, uh, it depends how long.  It's got that sandbox side of game play so sometimes, you know, if you just do the straight missions it should be around sixteen hours.  Um, if you do all of the optional objectives and you really get into the story side of things, or if you just do a lot of, like, free roaming and sandbox stuff you could end up spending, you know, forty hours and-

Rich Gallup: Forty hours!? (beat)  Awesome!

Raymond: Yeah.

Gallup: What about downloadable content?  Are you guys gonna add anything that way or that seems to be the-

Raymond: Maybe later.

Gallup: Maybe later?

Raymond: Yeah.

So I need to amend my previous post: Jade Raymond actually claims the game is about sixteen hours long if you focus exclusively on the story missions, and up to forty hours or so if you thoroughly explore each cityscape and pursue all of the optional content.

-Autistic Angel
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 05:47:51 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 12, 2007, 05:39:42 PM

So I need to amend my previous post: Jade Raymond actually claims the game is about sixteen hours long if you focus exclusively on the story missions, and up to forty hours or so if you thoroughly explore each cityscape and pursue all of the optional content.

-Autistic Angel

That's fine with me.  Hell, I've logged close to 90 hours in Oblivion, and all I've done of the Main Quest is drop Martin off at the Cloud Ruler Temple.   icon_eek  If I enjoy a game and really get wrapped up in the atmosphere and the story, it's easy for me to get sidetracked by additional quests and extra content.  I see no reason why Assasin's Creed wouldn't become yet another time sink for me.  And when it comes to "average length", it typically takes me much longer to complete a game than what is normally advertised as the "average length", so it should take more than the suggested 16 hours for me to even cover the main story missions.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 06:27:06 PM »

Looks hot, hot, hot.  Only thing I dislike is the white highlighting effect on NPCs.  I know there's some top-secret "technological" backstory to this whole thing that that's tying into, but I find it distracting.  But either way, the game sounds awesome.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 06:49:52 PM »

Quote from: kathode on July 12, 2007, 06:27:06 PM

Looks hot, hot, hot.  Only thing I dislike is the white highlighting effect on NPCs.  I know there's some top-secret "technological" backstory to this whole thing that that's tying into, but I find it distracting.  But either way, the game sounds awesome.

Yeah, I'm a little hazy on the whole matrix-esque glitching going on around the enemies, but there's apparently some sort of "secret" or "surprise" reason for that effect.  I'm not sure I like the idea of some kind of sci-fi twist on what I thought was already a cool story, but I'm not sure that Ubisoft Montreal can do any wrong, and so I will be picking this game up on release day.

7. The city and animations were inspired by "free-running" as seen in the movie District B13.

Now that just sounds too F-ing cool.  I loved the action in District B13 and am a big fan of parkour, and to be able to control a character with animations modeled after the sport and a city designed to facilitate free-running sounds like all kinds of kick-ass hella fun.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 07:04:01 PM »

Aye....put me in with the 'Don't like the Sci-fi' group. I really want to play, but I'll be disappointed if the tech stuff is any more intrusive than has been shown in the latest vids. icon_neutral
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 07:06:15 PM »

That's for highlighting what npc's you can interact with. Like pick pocketing or talking, things of that sort.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 07:12:15 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 12, 2007, 05:47:51 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 12, 2007, 05:39:42 PM

-Autistic Angel

That's fine with me.  Hell, I've logged close to 90 hours in Oblivion, and all I've done of the Main Quest is drop Martin off at the Cloud Ruler Temple.   icon_eek  If I enjoy a game and really get wrapped up in the atmosphere and the story, it's easy for me to get sidetracked by additional quests and extra content.  I see no reason why Assasin's Creed wouldn't become yet another time sink for me.  And when it comes to "average length", it typically takes me much longer to complete a game than what is normally advertised as the "average length", so it should take more than the suggested 16 hours for me to even cover the main story missions.

Don't make the mistake I did and save the main story for the end.  It becomes very monotonous that way.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 07:26:57 PM »

Yeah, I'll add a +1 to the "media blackout in the same category as Bioshock" idea.

I'm looking forward to this game, and am pretty darned confident it will be great.  That's as much as I need to know until I play it.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 08:33:17 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 12, 2007, 07:06:15 PM

That's for highlighting what npc's you can interact with. Like pick pocketing or talking, things of that sort.

The effect looks to reflect more than merely identifying an interactive character.  If you watch the demo video, any intereractive characters not only are highlighted in white, but there seems to be a matrix-esque glitch-like effect around the character as if the character is some sort of hologram.  It seems very "Total Recall".  If it were merely to identify interactive NPCs then I would think it would only be a white outline, sans all of the technologically-advanced looking image artifacts and glitches. 

Either way, even if the game has a sci-fi twist, as long as it isn't like the cop-out-bullshit-can't-believe-I-wasted-those-two-hours-of-my-life-garbage-nonsensical-for-the-sake-of-an-easy-ending crap I was subjected to in Vanilla Sky, I'm willing to give Ubisoft Montreal the benefit of the doubt. 

The simple fact that this same publisher has given us:

Xbox:
Far Cry Instincts
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lockdown
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent

and...

Xbox 360:
Far Cry Instincts Predator
Peter Jackson's King Kong
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas

They get the benefit of the doubt from me.  I loved the original Splinter Cell, the Rainbow Six series is my all-time favorite series on the Xbox and 360, and I even liked King Kong enough to play the game through to the end (playing and Kong was pretty damn cool), so whatever they're cooking up for Assassin's Creed, I'll assume quality unless I discover a reason to think otherwise.  But based on Ubisoft's track record, I have no qualms about picking this up sight-unseen.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 08:58:35 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 08:56:16 PM »

Ubi Montreal didn't do Pandora Tomorrow.  That was Ubi Shanghai.  They also didn't do the 360 version of Double Agent (Ubi Shanghai again).  But that just points out that Ubi Montreal is really the best dev house at Ubisoft since they were responsible for the best Splinter Cell games. 
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 09:00:42 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 12, 2007, 08:56:16 PM

Ubi Montreal didn't do Pandora Tomorrow.  That was Ubi Shanghai.  They also didn't do the 360 version of Double Agent (Ubi Shanghai again).  But that just points out that Ubi Montreal is really the best dev house at Ubisoft since they were responsible for the best Splinter Cell games. 

Oops.  You're right.  I edited my post accordingly.  I knew that Montreal didn't do Double Agent for the 360 (hence why so many preferred the Xbox version), and I also had a feeling that they didn't do Pandora Tomorrow, but when doing a quick copy-and-paste you sometimes run into such a problem.  Fixed.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 09:15:31 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 12, 2007, 07:06:15 PM

I'm commenting on its visual appeal, not its utility. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 01:17:31 AM »

OK, I watched the trailer to see what everyone was talking about with the 'glow' and it reminded me alot of Thief 3's glow system, which didn't bother me.

god I want this game.

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 01:35:45 AM »

Cool looking game.  But did he really just do a swan dive from a hundred feet up into cart of straw???
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 03:47:29 AM »

Looks absolutely freaking awesome. Cannot wait. See-10 words or less.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2007, 03:26:12 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 13, 2007, 01:35:45 AM

Cool looking game.  But did he really just do a swan dive from a hundred feet up into cart of straw???
Yeah, that seemed ot test the limits a bit.

Looks like there were a few glitches in there, just some odd bugs, but other than that, looks great. I'm sure those will be mended before the release.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 02:46:14 PM »

This game SO underwhelms me.  I don't see what the hook is.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 02:53:48 PM »

I thought that was pretty silly as well.  Other than that, it looks very cool.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2007, 11:50:59 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 17, 2007, 02:53:48 PM

I thought that was pretty silly as well.  Other than that, it looks very cool.

I totally agree.  How friggin dumb.  You're supposed to be sneaking around trying to set up a kill as an assasin, and what do you do?  Why nothing says stealth like  swan diving off of church steeples. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2007, 11:57:02 PM »

I think what "YOU" do with your assasin is your business.

I think they were showin off the engine more than anything.

If you think an Assasin couldn't make such a jump, then dont do it...too easy.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2007, 12:15:07 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on July 17, 2007, 11:57:02 PM

But isn't one of the supposed main draws of their engine the whole crowd awareness stuff? You would think diving into a pile of straw from 200 feet would garner some sort of reaction.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2007, 12:42:42 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on July 18, 2007, 12:15:07 AM

But isn't one of the supposed main draws of their engine the whole crowd awareness stuff? You would think diving into a pile of straw from 200 feet would garner some sort of reaction.

not if you were a ninja.....  ninja2

Because I can,
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2007, 01:22:23 PM »

Yeah, agreed. Honestly, it seemed like the crowds in general were pretty unaware as to what was going on the whole time.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2007, 01:28:29 PM »

Quote from: jimmyorr99 on July 18, 2007, 01:22:23 PM

Yeah, agreed. Honestly, it seemed like the crowds in general were pretty unaware as to what was going on the whole time.

Ok, if we're still talking about the Swan dive off the tower and the lack of crowd response then I guess there is a concern there. But just think about the amount of code scripting if someone nearby responds to everything you do..I know pulling of a perfect 10 dive from 100ft should draw SOME attention, absolutely.....But I'm sure the feed-back they're getting from this and other testing will allow for some adjustments here and there.

It is still pure speculation on any front concerning this game.....

Oh crap, I just read through this post of mine and others in the thread......I'm sounding like a Fanboi of this game......
Not something I'm aspiring to believe me.... paranoid
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 01:30:21 PM by Arclight » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2007, 03:28:37 PM »

Quote from: jimmyorr99 on July 18, 2007, 01:22:23 PM

you never know, it could be an everyday event for the cattle- err.. 'crowd' to see  icon_wink

Because I can,
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2007, 01:22:41 PM »

Yeah, I mean I thought that was kind of wierd, but the rest of the game looked really good. I guess you can't expect 100% crowd awareness like real life. Fighting looked really cool I must say.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: