http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:43:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRGGHH, why the **** does EB sell OPENED games at FULL COST  (Read 3151 times)
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2005, 09:53:56 PM »

Fucking assholes. They fucking sold me a game that's ALREADY OPENED. Don't they see the difference between USED/OPENED and NEW/UNOPENED?!

Fuck, the game's in fine condition, but I'm returning it on principle. Fucking assholes.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 09:57:31 PM »

The only copy my local EB will sell at full price opened is the one that is on the display rack.  When they say the only one available is on the display rack I politely decline to take it.

I know others have lots of new opened copies available, I guess I am lucky.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 10:03:07 PM »

While I'm looking, he packed it and put it in the bag. I didn't pay attention, so didn't know it was in that fucking case. It even has a scratch on the back!

Jesus, I'm PISSED OFF.

And if I see another Super Mario DS case on the display, it's MURDER.  finger
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 10:46:56 PM »

Why do they do it?  Because people continue to buy them.

If you want to make a mark, make a point of asking BEFORE YOU PAY whether they have any unopened copies.  If they try to sell you an opened copy, refuse.  Also, make it a point to call a district manager and voice your disapproval of this practice.  Maybe they'll listen if enough people complain.

Or maybe not.  I can dream, can't I?

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 01:09:12 AM »

Well, I went back to EB... and guess what they have? Yep, an UNOPENED COPY! Man, at that moment, the clerk behind the counter was the luckiest man alive, because if he's the same guy who sold the opened copy to me earlier, I'll probably tear his head off and make his biweekly checks disappear finger

Alas, he's not that guy, and was cool about it. Swapped it for the unopened copy, and now I'm back.

:shakes head:
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 02:05:11 AM »

I bought a "new" copy of Magic Pengel the other day, fairly rare to get and I was happy buying the gutted copy, until I inspected the game and it had several large scratches on both sides of the disc, pretty much rendering it useless. I was dissapointed but the store money kindly refunded my money and somehow I made 3 bucks off the deal.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 02:14:45 AM »

they did that to me, so i went home played it for a few days, then brought it back.  when the guy started to break out the "trade in" pad, i explained to him "very nicely" that i had my receipt and was given the game in that condition - if they were going to sell me a game as new in used condition, i could bring back a used game and call it new.  after the 10 second stare down, i had my fifty bucks back - maybe that will make them change their stupid policy.
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 03:20:28 AM »

Quote from: "Doopri"
after the 10 second stare down, i had my fifty bucks back - maybe that will make them change their stupid policy.

I pictured a Sergio Leone moment with a crumpled ball of video game shrink wrap blowing across the way between you two.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 06:07:36 AM »

Well, they have to gut something to show what they have.  If they put a live, unopened box out then a) you can't look at the manual to see things the box doesn't tell you and b) people would just steal them.  The only other alternative is the Walmart locked cabinet approach that doesn't let you look at the case at all.

So I guess what I'm saying is what solution are you offering?  Gutting a copy to display is ok with me as long as the disk is in good shape.  I always ask to see it to make sure before I buy it.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 06:45:16 AM »

I frickin REALLY hate this too. If I open my game after I buy it, it`s used and only tradable, not returnable. But they SELL me a OPEN copy, and it`s new...WTF!?!?!?!?!? That drives me nuts. I only buy sealed games on principle :wink: .
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 07:32:11 AM »

I feel your pain man, well maybe not, but i dont see whats the problem here. So you bought a game at a cheap price( I hope so, maybe 4.99 or 6.99 in the budget section ) and its brand new and its open, but no marks is on the cd, whats the big deal here?

This is joke/rant post right?  :lol:

Why are you trying to make fun of me?
You think it's funny?
What the ____ you think you're doing to me?
You take your turn lashing out at me.
I want you crying with your dirty ass in front of me - K.O.R.N.

* The World Aint Knowing "
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 08:03:37 AM »

Oh Jesus H. Christ.

We're talking about 'New' titles.  $49.99 titles.  Things which are NOT pre-owned.  Things which are supposedly sealed.  

Only to find out that the drones at EB/Gamespot have either pulled the discs from the box for 'safekeeping' or to take home and try out, and are now passing off as 'new'.  

Please remove your head from your rectal orifice, thank you.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 01:28:29 PM »

That bugs me too but not nearly as much as how much they ask for some of them used suckers.  Many are $44.95 months after release.  Gimme a break.  And if I bring the same game in to swap 2 months after release, guess what?  Yep, I get $11 for it.  I understand needing to make a profit, but jeez.  I quit going in there and buying like I used to.  Now, I only buy when I get an online special and can do an in store pickup, like I did when I ordered F.E.A.R.  Other than that, no business from me.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2005, 01:34:37 PM »

Zarkon, it's usually the last copy, or a gutted copy used for display. On a side note I've noticed my local stores using gutted copies less and less and just putting the pre-release boxes out there with a price tag.

I believe Gamestop got in a lot of trouble for doing this, but continue to this day.

It's a pain in the butt, but when they have decent trade-in deals, or deals that you can use to your advantage then it's worth shopping there. It's better than the lack of selection/service from the big boxes. What I really need is a good local shop.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2005, 02:24:50 PM »

I know the EB by me will keep open and empty boxes on the shelves here becuase they have a problem with kids stealing.  They keep most new titles in the case behind them, with some opened boxes on the shelves.

I understand the whole, new/used problem.  I also dont know why your EB may keep opened copies.   I mean if its seriously that big of a issue, you could always find some other place to get games.  Gamestop.  Bestbuy.  Media Play, Meijers.  Wal-Mart.  <shrug>  EB doesnt have a monoploy on games.
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2005, 02:47:52 PM »

Well 50 bucks, well then, thats the first problem. Try heading to the budget section and pick up 4.99 or 9.99 games.

You think it's funny?

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2005, 02:56:47 PM »

You know, I hate to say it...but the General's got a point.  I've got so much of a backlog I'm trying to wait on games to drop...although I have problems doing that (Damn you, Nintendogs, Atelier Iris, Meteos and Burnout Revenge!)

But other than that, he's got a point.  There are solid games out there for cheap.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005, 03:03:12 PM »

So you're saying in order to combat opened games being sold as new, we should buy more used games?
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2005, 03:21:29 PM »

Didn't say that.  Said that he had a point that there were good games in the budget section.

The only way to combat open games sold as new is to refuse to buy them and complain to corporate.  That's all you can do, honestly.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2005, 04:27:38 PM »

I would be all for new copies of games being held behind a case, with an empty, gameless, show copy of any given game, that was sent solely to be used as a display, placed on the shelves up front.

Works well for new and big releases, not so well for the last copy of a game, or a bargain bin title.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2005, 08:34:34 PM »

I suspect some if you didn't even read my post. It's for Super Mario DS. Old, hard-to-find, bargain game it is not. And they DID have new copies behind the counter, they just decided to give me the one in the banged up display box, and probably opened up ANOTHER one to put it's case up there.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2005, 08:50:05 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I would be all for new copies of games being held behind a case, with an empty, gameless, show copy of any given game, that was sent solely to be used as a display, placed on the shelves up front.

Works well for new and big releases, not so well for the last copy of a game, or a bargain bin title.

There's two problems with that system.  First, it is hard to keep track of what you've sold out of if you have a case that is just for display.  You would have more instances of taking a case up to buy the game and finding they are actually sold out.  Second, someone has to supply a case or art to create such a display.  That is an expense the not all publishers are willing to take on.

- American Dad
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2005, 09:03:15 PM »

Okay, having worked at Eb for 2 years I can tell you a couple of things.

Almost every game has a coming soon/display case/box sent to the store, for all kind of POP/POS promos. So if the stores hold onto those they can be used as display boxes.

Normally, if a store only gets one or two copies they won't gut any of them, if they get several boxes of the game they will gut one or two, and if it's going to be a huge title ala Madden they gut up to ten games.

Nine times out of ten you would never notice the difference. At our local EB's they seal the game in shrink wrap so it's still brand new never played.

The problems allways occur on the smaller releases or harder to find games. Their are allways exceptions, like Raven's Mario 64 DS fiasco, but those are rarer than you'd think.

For the most part though, you can usually have no problems getting a new sealed copy of a game if you ask. Most register jockeys are smart enough to know not to give out guts when they have unopened copies sitting in the storage cases, which all Eb's have.

All Eb's are supposed to have been remodeled to have a large glass case behind the register as well as several drawers for storing extra copies. The good employees know what's in those cases so as to avoid any out of stock incidents.

Just to be fair to EB, they have all the things we want in this thread in place, it's the local retail jockeys and monkeys that usually goof them up.

Don't hesitate to get the District Manager's number, or a 1-800 customer service line and complain. It'll only change if they know about it.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2005, 10:18:31 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
There's two problems with that system.  First, it is hard to keep track of what you've sold out of if you have a case that is just for display.  You would have more instances of taking a case up to buy the game and finding they are actually sold out.  Second, someone has to supply a case or art to create such a display.  That is an expense the not all publishers are willing to take on.

How could it be hard to track what you've sold out of? The computers know how many copies of a title are currently in the store, if the store is keeping a proper inventory. The moment the last copy of any given game is sold, a note pops up on the computer telling the employee to pull the demo box. Simple.

As for the demo box, you have a handful of cardboard copies of the exterior of the game, with identical cover and back art. Costs a buck or two for a whole rack of them, then you recycle them once the game is no longer in high demand. Much cheaper than a whole rack of real games being lifted.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2005, 11:24:20 PM »

How could it be hard to track what you've sold out of? The computers know how many copies of a title are currently in the store, if the store is keeping a proper inventory. The moment the last copy of any given game is sold, a note pops up on the computer telling the employee to pull the demo box. Simple.

As for the demo box, you have a handful of cardboard copies of the exterior of the game, with identical cover and back art. Costs a buck or two for a whole rack of them, then you recycle them once the game is no longer in high demand. Much cheaper than a whole rack of real games being lifted.

Sounds simple but it isn't.  For one, the computers don't tell you it's the last copy.  And what if there are copies on hold for reservation customers?  Or one was stolen?  The computer doesn't know everything.

Demo boxes are sent out, but often early in process.  They don't reflect final box art, technical requirements, etc.  The retailer then is reliant on the publisher to send out stuff in a timely manner. An example: early on GameStop did not gut PSP UMD movies.  They were reliant on either receiving box art inserts or using generic hand printed inserts.  Most stores had sections dominated by generic boxes because the inserts either weren't being sent at all or were arriving late.

Even then, it still eliminates the ability to check out the manual.  Just because a box says multi-player on the back doesn't tell you what kind of multi-player it is.  That's the kind of info that gutting a copy gives you access too.

- American Dad
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2005, 12:55:45 AM »

i've never had problems with console games at eb.  I bring the case to the cash and they bring out a new sealed copy.

PC games on the other hand though, whenever I've bought anything, they keep the cd/manuals in a ziploc bag and puts everything in when you pay.  That pisses me off.  Someone's already put their greasy hands all over them, so how can they still consider it new??

But then, I'm off eb nowadays, when they didn't carry silent hunter iii and there was 20 copies at walmart that was in the same mall.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2005, 02:56:49 AM »

Quote from: "lex"
i
But then, I'm off eb nowadays, when they didn't carry silent hunter iii and there was 20 copies at walmart that was in the same mall.

Didn't carry Silent Hunter 3?  EB is where I bought my copy.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2005, 03:10:05 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Didn't carry Silent Hunter 3?  EB is where I bought my copy.

I couldn't find it at the local best buy or futureshop either when it first came out (I haven't seen it there still).  I think I did see a copy at EB not too long ago, in the so-called 'PC' section that's tucked away in the corner near the cash register.  Makes me feel like going into the adults section in the video store.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2005, 08:25:11 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
Even then, it still eliminates the ability to check out the manual.  Just because a box says multi-player on the back doesn't tell you what kind of multi-player it is.  That's the kind of info that gutting a copy gives you access too.

How the hell do you read the manual in the case/box of a factory sealed game?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2005, 02:51:54 PM »

Madden 06 is 50 bucks, but in reality the game is only worth 19.99. Just a few upgrades, same bored looking graphics, so yea again 50 bucks for a game is really a crime. They can still get good profit from selling games at maybe 39.99 or 29.99, but thats just my way of thinking.  biggrin

You think it's funny?

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2005, 06:40:26 PM »

How the hell do you read the manual in the case/box of a factory sealed game?

I was referring to the one advantage of game stores "gutting" a copy of a game and putting the case out on display rather than leaving it sealed (as some prefer) or using a display case.  The case on display can be opened in most of those places so you can actually read the manual.

- American Dad
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2005, 06:46:44 PM »

I figured you were talking about gutted cases, but I wasn't sure. I hate gutted cases for that reason also, 'cause I don't want some dude thumbing through the manual and wrecking it, alongside the EB clerks that take the game home, scratch the game disk, and pop it back in the game disk drawer.

I hate opened games that are sold as new.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: