http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 04:52:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Armed Assault  (Read 2117 times)
Eduardo X
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2006, 04:19:27 PM »

As told by the frontpage, Worthplaying has a preview of Armed Assault, the spiritual successor to Operation: Flashpoint, which just happens to be one my my favorite games.
Armed Assault looks AMAZING, and I can't wait to get my hands on it.
The multiplayer in OFP was quite a feat. It only supported 16 people, but those co-op missions were extremely exciting, and the team-death matches were also great.
But check this out:
In addition to the cooperative mode, there is a new mode called "capture the island," which is exactly what it sounds like. In this mode, up to 100 players must fight for control of the island by capturing cities, resources, and other control points. There is no formal mechanism for any sort of commander role, but individual squad leaders have the sole responsibility of leading their forces. A standard-sized session of this mode can take hours, if not days, to complete, which is why a "join in progress" system has been implemented to allow players to join and leave the game at will. It'll definitely be strange to hear of co-workers who play for a little while in the morning, go to work, and come back in the evening to rejoin the fight.

/me drools.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 04:50:37 PM »

I'm looking forward to Armed Assault providing the co-op gameplay that GRAW didn't on the PC.  I've been playing Operation Flashpoint some, and once you move past the dated graphics, it is a pretty good game.  The part that is the hardest to get past is the non-sighted targeting.  You don't have a crosshair in the middle of the screen that you turn with.  Instead you have an area where you can aim, and if you go too far in any direction, it then moves your POV.  It doesn't sound right, but it works well for simulating off the hip shooting, and doesn't require any more mouse travel than it normally would.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 06:45:16 PM »

Did you use the iron sights? It is really hard to play without those. Also, the game zooms in a bit when you use those.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 07:07:54 PM »

Of course I used iron sights. smile  I wanted to actually hit the enemy.  I like some of the mods that have been released for OpFlash.  FFUR is my favorite currently, really bringing the game up to date.  The game still lacks ground clutter like Joint Ops, but the models are much improved.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 03:16:57 PM »

Although I can't read the article, anything billed as a succesor to OFP cannot be bad. That's awesome, I'll read up on it during my lunch break.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 03:23:39 PM »

Quote from: "jimmyorr99"
Although I can't read the article, anything billed as a succesor to OFP cannot be bad. That's awesome, I'll read up on it during my lunch break.

Apprently, Codemasters still owns the OFP name, so Bohemia Interactive just called it "Armed Assault."
BIS is also working on another game, apparently called "Game 2" at this point. That should be excellent as well.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 06:00:56 PM »

Beautiful screenshots on the Front Page. It looks like there are still some odd tree sprites/models and oddly flat terrain, but other than that the game looks great.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 07:39:22 PM »

Drop in multiplayer is key for me.

I suspect my friends and I will be designing our own combined arms co-op missions and then having lan parties to play through them.

The big problem with this in OFP was that it didn't ship with any combined arms co-op multiplayer maps.

The infantry mode was too unforgiving, combined with a lack of respawning made playing co-op very difficult with players geared towards more actiony games.

Also, basic military tactics weren't explained in the game, not even in the tutorial, so even that wasn't very helpful.

Then don't get me started on how the game suddenly turns you from an infantryman into a tank commander and then a pilot.  Hopefully they'll give each branch its own campaign and tutorials.

If AA delivers, I forsee us having a blast using classic combined arms gameplay.  I remember trying to zero in my friend who was flying a cobra down on a house and street from which a lot of enemy infantry were firing (custom co-op mission).  All the while the blackhawk that brought us in was circling a nearby hill, suppressing a squad of soldiers with its minigun that were moving in to kill another friend who was a sniper.  Then the sniper suddenly sees enemy armor coming from down the road (something we scripted in to randomly appear) so the cobra has to break off and seek cover as there's an enemy AA vehicle in group.

So, as an infantry man, I pickup an RPG off a downed enemy, sneak towards the road, blow up the AA gun, then the cobra comes out of hiding and blows up the rest of the tanks while I'm running for my life from two trucks full of infantry chasing me.  Then the sniper finally decides to help me and starts picking off the soldiers.

Unfortunately, the guy flying the cobra was a bit of a hotshot and really doesn't look where he's flying, and out of all that airspace, he flies directly into the blackhawk.  From there we're picked apart by superior numbers since we can't respawn.

Now mind you, I like the intensity of a single life, but sometimes it's just not how you want to play.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 08:48:46 PM »

See...that kind of mission is what makes me a happy tactical FPS player.  Each his own role, and getting the experience of trying the various roles.  I've been trying to design a good combined arms missions using the tanks and helicopters in Joint Operations: Escalation, and while the game handles it well when the computer is in control of the assets, it does not do the same when the players are in control of the assets.  Granted, it works fine for the Advance and Secure game mode, but there isn't a way to put AI on the other team for that mode, and I'm looking for a good co-op experience.

(I might mention, that despite it's learning curve, Dangerous Waters also rocks for co-op.  I really think developers are mission the chance to design great co-op games...because they think it's a small market due to the fact that people don't play it online.)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 11:59:19 PM »

Dangerous Waters has good co-op?  Well sign me up.  I don't mind a steep learning curve.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 05:24:24 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"

I suspect my friends and I will be designing our own combined arms co-op missions and then having lan parties to play through them.

The big problem with this in OFP was that it didn't ship with any combined arms co-op multiplayer maps.

The infantry mode was too unforgiving, combined with a lack of respawning made playing co-op very difficult with players geared towards more actiony games.

Also, basic military tactics weren't explained in the game, not even in the tutorial, so even that wasn't very helpful.

Then don't get me started on how the game suddenly turns you from an infantryman into a tank commander and then a pilot.  Hopefully they'll give each branch its own campaign and tutorials.

If AA delivers, I forsee us having a blast using classic combined arms gameplay.  I remember trying to zero in my friend who was flying a cobra down on a house and street from which a lot of enemy infantry were firing (custom co-op mission).  All the while the blackhawk that brought us in was circling a nearby hill, suppressing a squad of soldiers with its minigun that were moving in to kill another friend who was a sniper.  Then the sniper suddenly sees enemy armor coming from down the road (something we scripted in to randomly appear) so the cobra has to break off and seek cover as there's an enemy AA vehicle in group.

So, as an infantry man, I pickup an RPG off a downed enemy, sneak towards the road, blow up the AA gun, then the cobra comes out of hiding and blows up the rest of the tanks while I'm running for my life from two trucks full of infantry chasing me.  Then the sniper finally decides to help me and starts picking off the soldiers.

Unfortunately, the guy flying the cobra was a bit of a hotshot and really doesn't look where he's flying, and out of all that airspace, he flies directly into the blackhawk.  From there we're picked apart by superior numbers since we can't respawn.

Now mind you, I like the intensity of a single life, but sometimes it's just not how you want to play.

I think OFP was the best multi-player game I ever played, though I only got on 2 or 3 internet sessions.
With this game, I'll have more reliable internet access, and both here and at BC, a tighter community to play with.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 09:00:06 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"

I think you can be pretty sure that co op will be in here. This is sweet news too, love the game and I'm pumped to play this. I didn't play much online, mainly because I got into the game late and dying every single time because everyone else was so good at it isn't much fun is it? Still though, loved the single player and I will pick this up. Definitely.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 11:11:13 PM »

Apparently, this game is set for release all over Europe in November, but BIS still doesn't have a US publisher. WHEN?
Also, there will be some sort of digital distribution, so maybe we'll be able to download it right when it releases in Czech.

I recall waiting so anxiously for the US release of OFP, playing my hacked demo over and over and over.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 04:04:09 PM »

I got this in the mail last night, but only had a chance to play a few missions.

FUN FUN FUN! It seems to have a lot of the same problems as OFP, but more of the good stuff, too.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 04:10:27 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on February 27, 2007, 04:04:09 PM

I got this in the mail last night, but only had a chance to play a few missions.

FUN FUN FUN! It seems to have a lot of the same problems as OFP, but more of the good stuff, too.

More specifics plz. Kthnx.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 05:00:57 PM »

Well, the graphics suck. They are refined from OFP, but that was a game released in 2001, 6 years ago! However, as you can consider this a war game, the graphics work. You know what you're looking at. And it is certainly prettier than OFP, but... so is any budget shooter. It is a bit disappointing.

However, there are some neat geographical features: rivers, large rocks to hide behind, etc.

The AI has been pretty good thus far. I still love how different each mission plays out upon replays. The aiming is a bit screwy, but you need just adjust your floating settings to get your rifle to feel "natural" for you. It can either feel like you're swinging a ladder around or nothing, depending on how you set it, which is nice to have.

I currently am just using my on-board 5.1 sound, and on one mission, Beaten Dog, where you and a bunch of other soldiers are holding off a large scale assault (armor, dozens of infantry, UAZ's, etc) the sound kept cutting out on me.

Also of note: there should be a new patch today or tomorrow that fixes a lot of issues.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 04:20:12 PM »

I only got a bit of playtime last night, but it seems that you will have a choice of missions in the campaign. Each map will give you 3 missions to choose from 2 of which are optional but will affect the way the "main" one plays out. For example, you could choose a sniping mission to go take out a convoy of troops headed toward the main battlefield. If you succeed, there won't be as many enemy soldiers attacking.

Resistence added a bit of strategy to its mostly linear campaign, and this addition of auxilary missions does the same. My only worry is that the campaign will be really short because of this. We'll see.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 06:22:05 PM »

Thanks for the impressions. It definitely sounds good, but likely somethign I would pick up at the 19.99 price point. The aging graphics dont help either smile
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 07:11:51 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 28, 2007, 06:22:05 PM

Thanks for the impressions. It definitely sounds good, but likely somethign I would pick up at the 19.99 price point. The aging graphics dont help either smile
Take heart! Amazon.com is taking preorders for the US version, due out in May, for $20.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 10:01:16 PM »

Nice! Good price point-I will likely buy it!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 10:56:04 AM »

At that price point, even I'd buy it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: