http://gamingtrend.com
November 20, 2014, 11:31:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARMA2 what's the verdict?  (Read 471 times)
El-Producto
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2010, 01:04:28 AM »

I just finished devouring Generation Kill, and I've got a hankering for some realistic tactical shooter.  How is ARMA2?

I'm looking for something that's more tactical, no MW2 like.

Is SP any good.. or is it only worth it for MP?

"Goonies never say die"
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 03:30:01 PM »

I have it but haven't really played it yet. Snagged it cheap sometime ago.

They are still releasing patches and users are still busy making missions/unit mods for it. Not sure of the state of the OG campaign but there should be lots of SP missions for it. You can always just plunk troops in the editor and fight.

I picked it up since I like OFP and ArmA, even with their clunky controls and I liked the ArmA2 demo.

If you haven't tried the demo, try it.

I don't think I would pay full price for it (unless OFP and ArmA are your fav games) so find it cheap or maybe wait until its standalone exp comes out (2011?) and check its reviews.

Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 10:42:48 PM »

I'd give it the edge over Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.    Dont know if you've played any of the op flashpoint games, but they're realistic in terms that a lot of the time you never even see what kills you.   
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 10:12:47 PM »

Tough call, since you're focused on single-player. It really depends on how hardcore you like your games. ARMA2 is very difficult, and very realistic - probably the most realistic all-around military sim I've ever played. On the other hand, it lacks the polish of big budget, big developer games. The AI can be a little wonky, it can occasionally be a little buggy. The trade-off is a game world that pretty much lets you do anything you want to do.

Personally I love the game, but it's because I play with 7-8 co-workers twice a week running multiplayer co-op missions. There are a lot of user-created missions out there that are a blast to play with a team of humans. What keeps it refreshing is that it's never the same game twice. There have been missions that took us 5-6 tries to beat, but finally completing something against all odds is the best feeling in the world. And there are always all kinds of unscripted funny moments - like the time I shot down an enemy chopper and the flaming wreckage crashed into our troop transport, killing my whole team.

The game is demanding in terms of patience - the maps are absolutely huge and can take 15-20 minutes real time to traverse. Crazy things can happen like having your transport chopper get shot down, leaving you stranded in the middle of the woods miles from civilization with no choice but to run to your destination in real time. You may get one-shotted for no reason, and never see the guy who shot you. You can run out of ammo. Pretty much all of the little nuisances that a lot of games sacrifice for gameplay, ARMA2 leaves in for realism.

If you can accept that this is not a generic Call of Duty-esque shooter, but an attempt at a serious military simulation, it can be extremely rewarding. Otherwise you're probably better off with something like Operation:Flashpoint which is similar but more friendly to newcomers.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 10:14:40 PM by YellowKing » Logged
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 12:33:54 AM »

I completely overlooked this game on release because my PC at the time would've just laughed in my face.  But now, after upgrading and trying the demo I've already ordered it.  I loved Operation Flashpoint and Arma 2 looks amazing.  I can't wait for it to arrive.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: