http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 05:28:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] ARMA 3  (Read 2602 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2011, 04:23:31 PM »

ARMA is coming back, and this time it looks like the fight will be going underwater too (OK, maybe no actual fighting underwater but scuba diving!):

•Single-Player Campaign - Evolve from a lone prey into a military commander in the open-ended & story-driven campaign.
•Vehicles & Weapons – Control a multitude of aircraft, vehicles and ships with accurate simulation; shoot anything from pistols to sophisticated weapon platforms.
•Customizable Soldier Load - Choose your uniform; assemble your weapon kit; change your load-out; get loaded up.
•Physical Simulation & Improved Animations – Take advantage of PhysX™ supported vehicle simulation, in-game interactions and the revamped animation system.
•Rich & Authentic Environment – Explore an unsurpassed military combat experience set on an authentic Mediterranean island modelled from real geographic data.
•Multiplayer Gameplay – Experience both cooperative & competitive scenarios with the full support of dedicated servers for both Windows and Linux.
•Completely Extensible & Moddable - Design & create countless customizable scenarios using the intuitive & easy-to-use mission editor.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:07:10 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 11:14:41 PM »

teaser trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKKbisvGspQ&feature=player_embedded

I'm thinking part of that is live action.

Because I can,
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 04:00:17 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 18, 2011, 11:14:41 PM

I'm thinking part of that is live action.

I hope not!!  ninja
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 12:51:21 AM »

OH!  I hope there's snorkeling too!  ARMA 4, now with para-sailing.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 01:10:52 AM »

I'm the odd one out when I want to see someone mod this so that it has more of an action movie feel with a nod towards realism. Not CoD style action movie, but rather just making it so that the player is more like say, a low powered action movie hero. Not Rambo, but have some regenerating health or health kits along with the ability to survive gunshots.

Just seemed like there was no middle ground, you couldn't get this scale of game without being saddled with realism.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 07:06:12 PM »

That's true about the realism, but I personally loved the at-times-insane difficulty/realism of their original Op Flashpoint. Codemasters is straddling the middle ground with the Op Flashpoint license now, and it isn't exactly panning out well.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 04:06:39 AM »

alpha release after E3: http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/285-scanning-the-horizon-arma-3-in-2012

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 07:18:50 PM »

lighting video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIwfS8uJJIk&feature=player_embedded

Because I can,
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 11:17:32 PM »

Did ARMA 2 ever get better? I played it for about 5 hours, and got tired of being shot from a gajillion meters away by some random guy who was barely a pixel on my screen. And this is coming from someone who typically likes realism (loved op flashpoint).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 06:24:08 PM »

vehicle showcase: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7EdL5jVK28&feature=player_embedded

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 03:49:27 AM »

and here's diving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElWZbZ_mL38&feature=player_embedded

looking ahead, can we say underwater zombies?  nod

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 06:47:29 PM »

fire support options: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UOt1XthOaac

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 07:40:13 PM »

Alpha access is now available through Steam if you pre-order the game.

Purchase the Arma 3 Alpha now to receive immediate access to the Alpha, 3 Alpha Lite invites for your friends (available March 14th to June 18th 2013) as well as Beta access and the Full game upon it's release!

In the Alpha, you'll be able to explore Stratis Island, enjoy a taste of Arma 3's diverse gameplay, and team up with your friends to fight against enemies in 2 co-op mulitplayer scenarios! There are also 8 different vehicles featured in the Alpha and a collection of weapons to help customize your loadout.

a bit later than they had said, but I blame Greece.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 04:23:58 AM »

ArmA 3 maxed out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zUPHT-GOrPM

it's alpha footage, and one hell of a rig running it.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 03:30:24 AM »

played some of the alpha.  it is basically some set missions plus MP, but I haven't seen any limits on where you can go during the missions.  some random thoughts:

voice acting is miles ahead of ArmA2.  when they call out an enemies position it flows a lot better.

graphics are nice, cannot wait to see how they progress.

combat is deadly as always.  got plugged running for cover during an unexpected encounter while assaulting a village.

I can tell they took Take On Helicopters controls and plopped them into the game.  once I figured out what keys to hit I was doing barrel rolls and loops; of course I didn't quite get landing down biggrin

Because I can,
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 04:00:45 PM »

How can you do a barrel roll or loop in a helicopter?

As for landing, I usually "cheat" a little... Right before landing, I switch to Auto-hover...

Only played through some of the "training" missions, so far... but like what I see...

and yeah, the voice commands are MUCH better..
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 09:19:10 PM »

i've figured out i need to wait a few years to get the arma games as they always crush the rig i have when they are released. so the game ends up in backlog for a few years until ive upgraded. played lots of arma1 and have but still need to play arma2 as ive just barely played any missions.

frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »

I have to say that 3 seems to be improved as far as performance goes.  It just seems to run more smoothly, maybe due to engine improvements.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 04:17:24 PM »

the alpha phase is ending, and the beta phase starts June 25th.  from the Steam page:

Arma 3 Beta available on June 25th
June 20th, 2013 - Nelios   
Today Bohemia Interactive confirmed the 25th of June as the official release date for the Arma 3 Beta. Building upon the well-received Arma 3 Alpha, the Arma 3 Beta features a varied selection of brand new content – including 10 vehicles, 7 weapons, 4 showcase missions (Combined Arms, Supports, Commanding & Night), 2 multiplayer scenarios and 4 challenges.

Set against the beautiful backdrop of Stratis (20 km²), the Arma 3 Beta turns its focus towards firepower and logistics. The Challenges game mode will also be making its first appearance, enabling players to practice their weapons handling and movement across a selection of firing drills. Plus, all of the content from the Arma 3 Alpha will be available, alongside the popular scenario editor and modding support.

Joris-Jan van ‘t Land, Project Lead on Arma 3, adds:
“Having just showed off the Beta for Arma 3 at E3 2013, we are keen to get it into gamers' hands quickly. Bringing some heavy firepower and additional transport options will allow for more diverse scenarios in both singleplayer and multiplayer. We also can't wait to open up the Steam Workshop scenario publication, which will make content-sharing with other players much more convenient.”

People who are currently participating in the Arma 3 Alpha will gain access to the Arma 3 Beta through an automatic Steam update. Those who are new to Arma 3 can join in by purchasing the Arma 3 Beta (which includes a version of the full game) from Steam or Store.bistudio.com.

The price of the Arma 3 Beta, in comparison to the Arma 3 Alpha, will be increased. The regular Arma 3 Beta will be available for 34.99 EUR/29.99 GBP/44.99 USD (current price: 24.99 EUR/19.99 GBP/32.99 USD), while the Arma 3 Digital Deluxe Edition will be sold for 44.99 EUR/39.99 GBP/59.99 USD (current price: 39.99 EUR/34.99 GBP/49.99 USD). Please note that the current (heavily discounted) Alpha deal, which includes Beta-access and the full game, will still be available until Tuesday June 25th.

Those who would like to sponsor development further have the option to purchase the Arma 3 Supporter Edition (69.99 EUR/59.99 GBP/91.99 USD) from Store.bistudio.com. The Arma 3 Alpha Lite, a free but limited variant of the Arma 3 Alpha, will be discontinued after June 25th.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 09:17:23 PM »

Strongly considering buying in at this point.    Can someone tell me what it's like?  I know it's not a COD game, but someone told me it was very hard.    Define very hard?   It is like America's Army or something simliar?   

Thanks!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 03:39:15 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 28, 2013, 09:17:23 PM

Strongly considering buying in at this point.    Can someone tell me what it's like?  I know it's not a COD game, but someone told me it was very hard.    Define very hard?   It is like America's Army or something simliar?   

Thanks!
It's definitely not COD!. It is closer to America's Army, but I'd say arma is actually more realistic for many things... It's also open world so you can do missions your own way many times (but not always).. It has realistic bullet physics/drop. You also can't generally take a hail of bullets. There is a learning curve, especially if you are used to COD type games.. That being said, I've bought every Arma game that came out and love them..
Disadvantage would be in MP, but the same problem with all MP... depends on who you play with... Get the right group of people and it is hella fun!
Go to youtube and look up Arma2 videos to get a good idea of the game...
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 01:53:32 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on June 29, 2013, 03:39:15 AM

Quote from: msduncan on June 28, 2013, 09:17:23 PM

Thanks!
It's definitely not COD!. It is closer to America's Army, but I'd say arma is actually more realistic for many things... It's also open world so you can do missions your own way many times (but not always).. It has realistic bullet physics/drop. You also can't generally take a hail of bullets. There is a learning curve, especially if you are used to COD type games.. That being said, I've bought every Arma game that came out and love them..
Disadvantage would be in MP, but the same problem with all MP... depends on who you play with... Get the right group of people and it is hella fun!
Go to youtube and look up Arma2 videos to get a good idea of the game...

Is it open world with little direction thus resulting in me running the wrong direction and getting totally lost, or is does it have enough direction so that I know what I need to be doing?

America's Army was lethal, but the maps were contained so everyone was guided to conflict.   COD is neither lethal nor open world.    I realize this one is more open worldish, but my fear is that I spend a lot of time on a big map trying to find someone to kill.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 07:41:46 PM »

what I remember of ArmA2 is that you are given a(n) objective(s) and a point on the map.  it's your job to get there and back and you get lifts from heli's and use of HumVees and the like on the ground. 

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 09:32:08 PM »

As Caine said, there are objectives. This is in both SP and MP.
In SP there is a campaign and you will have different objectives like securing a town or rescuing someone. You'll get a map location and you decide how you want to do it. stealth or assault or something else you can think of. There are vehicles available for certain missions and some missions require vehicles.
For MP, it depends on what type of game you are playing, but there are usually missions and map objectives as well. "IF" you find the right crew, this can be the best co-op experienced game ever and is one of the few games I do go back to for co-op. I also enjoy PVP with the right crew as well... Most MP missions are of the "secure this town" variety and again, can be PVE or PVP.
However, there can be times where you have to do a TON of traveling and no vehicles are available... This is usually in MP with the "wrong" crew... IE.. people who take off in empty choppers then either land and abandon them or just crash them into the landing site... Same thing with ground vehicles.. people take off and you are waiting for a ride..(although, even if ground vehicles are available, it can take a while to drive somewhere.)
The game does have an active mod community and the developers support them.. The zombie mod DayZ is made in Arma 2 and is made by one of the developers of the game.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 08:27:43 PM »

i love OFP & Arma but controls are a big learning curve.

you have usually wasd (or however you configure) but then you also have lean, crouch and lay down. you can also double tab to maintain run, lean or crouch while walking, etc.

would suggest trying demo of Arma 2 to at least get feel for it. http://www.arma2.com/demo/

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 11:28:10 PM »

Arma 3 - Community Guide: Helicopters

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »

Is there any published info on minimum and recommended specs? My computer will run ARMA II at reduced settings, so I was wondering what's the story with ARMA III.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 06:17:38 AM »

about all I've seen is the beta specs from Steam:

System Requirements

Minimum:
        Processor:Intel Dual-Core 2.4 GHz or AMD Dual-Core Athlon 2.5 GHz
        Memory:2 GB RAM
        Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD 3830 or Intel HD Graphics 4000 with 512 MB VRAM
        DirectX®:10
        Hard Drive:10 GB HD space
        Sound:DirectX®-compatible

Recommended:
        Processor:Intel Core i5-2300 or AMD Phenom II X4 940 or better
        Memory:4 GB RAM
        Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 7750 with 1 GB VRAM or better
        DirectX®:11
        Hard Drive:20 GB HD space
        Sound:DirectX®-compatible

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 06:22:51 AM »

apparently someone is already porting DayZ over to Arma 3.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 03:48:24 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 06, 2013, 06:14:00 AM

Is there any published info on minimum and recommended specs? My computer will run ARMA II at reduced settings, so I was wondering what's the story with ARMA III.

My buddy at work said that III runs better than II did on his home PC, for what it's worth.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2013, 04:18:16 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 06, 2013, 03:48:24 PM

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 06, 2013, 06:14:00 AM

My buddy at work said that III runs better than II did on his home PC, for what it's worth.

Yeah, I can run it fine on my laptop, which is a I5(430), 4 GB Memory and a Radeon HD 5850M - A lot better than Arma2 actually.

A new one
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2013, 05:55:53 PM »

Is this a good game to show-off pretty graphics?  I was considering getting beta since I just upgraded my desktop.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2013, 06:35:45 PM »

Quote from: skystride on August 06, 2013, 05:55:53 PM

Is this a good game to show-off pretty graphics?  I was considering getting beta since I just upgraded my desktop.

I'd say so. here's some beta footage.

I fired up the beta for the first time in awhile last night, and noticed it feels like they changed the helicopter controls.  In the alpha I was able to fly fine, but now not so much.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 06:58:37 PM »

and it's out of beta on September 12th.  The single player campaign is going to be added in after launch though:

The official campaign will be added in 3 Free DLC Episodes, available to everyone who owns Arma 3.

Each of the Campaign Episodes will be downloaded automatically via a Steam update once they become available.

until then it's going to be 'showcases' and challenges unless you want to do MP.

Because I can,
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 04:16:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 08, 2013, 06:58:37 PM

and it's out of beta on September 12th.  The single player campaign is going to be added in after launch though:

The official campaign will be added in 3 Free DLC Episodes, available to everyone who owns Arma 3.

Each of the Campaign Episodes will be downloaded automatically via a Steam update once they become available.

until then it's going to be 'showcases' and challenges unless you want to do MP.

The Arma series is one of the few series where I actually have. Lot of fun in MP...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 12:08:59 AM »

new sneak preview

I didn't watch th whole thing, skipped around, but I don't think jets are in the beta.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2013, 10:56:04 PM »

fun with drones.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 09:35:38 AM »

a video about bullet physics.

The terminal and exterior ballistics models of Arma 3 underwent significant improvements compared to Arma 2, and in this video I'll go into some detail about how it works and what you can expect from several common bullet types.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 03:49:10 PM »

That's nice. Now what about a campaign?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 06:29:15 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 29, 2013, 03:49:10 PM

That's nice. Now what about a campaign?

part one is supposedly out, haven't had time to try it yet.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: