http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 02:50:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Area 51 Out Next Week  (Read 1896 times)
ElijahPrice
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2005, 08:43:46 PM »

So following the barrage of FPSes anyone still interested in picking up Area 51?  There is an awesome 9 min preview at gamestop:

Trailer #4
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/area51/index.html?q=area+51

This is my rundown so far:

Brothers in Arms - Lots of fun and refreshing squad based FPS, still waiting to replay.

TS3 - Was very disappointed.  The single player campaign was pretty boring and ending playing most of it in co-op and still had trouble really enjoying the gameplay or the story.  Graphics were just sub-par.

Splinter Cell - Not really FPS but quality 3rd Person Shooter.

Skipped:

Republic Commando - May buy down the road.
Project Snowblind - Never interested
Doom III - wait for price drop with CE.
Cold Winter - Ehh...not impressed
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 08:59:54 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
So following the barrage of FPSes anyone still interested in picking up Area 51?

That would be a negative...not interested at all.  Early reviews have not been very kind.  I'm not sure why Midway gave the thumbs up to such early reviews (like OXM's).  The nicest review so far is from Game Informer, which gave it an 8.5.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 10:54:59 PM »

I will definitely be renting, but unlikely I would ever buy, at any price.  I am anxious to play it though as I am a sucker for alien conspiratorial type stories like this.  And I like the demo alot.  So, I will for sure rent it, but I am done buying anymore games unless they are mega mega anticipated super duper titles.  Money is getting tight around the house as of late.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 12:02:20 AM »

looks pretty sweet. i won a copy from gamespot, so i'm getting it smile
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 01:22:23 AM »

No love for Timesplitters?

Most fun I've had with an FPS in a long time!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 02:55:53 AM »

Cold Winter - Ehh...not impressed

Really?  I read a preview of it today in Edge (best gaming magazine on the market by far) and they seemed pretty optimistic and Edge isn't afraid to call out potential issues in their previews.
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 06:42:40 AM »

Definitely renting.  Really enjoyed the OXM demo.
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 12:45:41 PM »

I'm interested in the PC version. Can't stand a FPS on a console. It's abominable smile

My smile still stays on.
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 12:54:13 PM »

I played the demo that came on last months OXM and I didn't really care for it. I might give it a rent....
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 07:20:10 PM »

IGN just gave it a 8.5/10.

I am a sucker for alien conspiracies too and the Duchovny angle.  Its one of my soft spots.  So for that and the demo definitely being FUN as opposed to tryingt o get all technical and crazy.  I think it might be able to balance between Timesplitters arcade fun and then more tactical-ish fighting in Halo (if you want to even call that tactical I guess).

I need to read up on cold winter...(grey - I remember are last FPS talk and I trust your opinion, so I'll give her a shot).  But i wasn't impressed thus far.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 07:58:45 PM »

I am a sucker for alien conspiracies too and the Duchovny angle. Its one of my soft spots.

As a former X-Files fanboy I have a soft spot in my heart for David Duchovny but did you hear his voice-over in XIII?  I thought it was a great game otherwise but, wow, was he awful.  After reading an interview where he talked about his voicework on Area 51 with absolute derision I have little hope that aspect has improved.

I need to read up on cold winter...(grey - I remember are last FPS talk and I trust your opinion, so I'll give her a shot). But i wasn't impressed thus far.

Well I'm not actually endorsing the game.  Haven't played it at all (is there a demo?) but the Edge preview intrigued me.  I'll definitely be waiting for reviews first.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 09:35:18 PM »

Heh.  Duchovny's interview for Area 51 was hilarious.  You mean the Duchovy and Manson one, right?  Seemed like they were just messing around the whole time.  He was alright in the demo.  It does just bring back the X-files glory days in my mind.

Anyways... team xbox has a 4-pager with videos and screens for multiplayer.  It has a ton of cutomization, pretty cool:

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox/973/Area-51/p1/
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 06:00:51 PM »

Double Post for Review:

Got the game yesterday and I am quite impressed.  Seems that they made some small yet significant changes to the demo that was released:

Demo Changes

- Screen Shake - still present but does not alter shot as much
- Voice Overs - As far as I can tell they re did the opening scene voice overs and are a lot better (might be wrong, haven't checked yet)
- Squad Members - the game starts with you as a member of a squad of hazmat soldiers.

Graphics (9/10)

The xbox version has some pretty tight cut scenes as already scene in the demo that give a good impression from the start.  The in game graphics are pretty solid though the texture of the soldiers could use a little polishing, sometimes looking blocky.  The textures on the levels and extras within the game area also above average but not cutting edge.  Lighting is nicely done, for example the flashlight is located on the gun so when you reload the light flips up and off the screen leaving you temporarily in the dark.  Looks really nice and gets you a bit freaked out when you can't see the aliens running at you.  Overall, the graphics are easily entertaining and nice to look at.

Sound (8/10)

I am not overly impressed with the sound of bullets hitting things, kind of a dull twang sound.  However, the voice overs seem to have been polished up really nice.  Don't seem like they are acting but are actually an essential piece to the puzzle.  The story draws you in quick with the dialogue.  Otherwise, alien snarls, yelling from teammates, and random explosions and footsteps are definitely on par immersing you within the game.

Controls (9/10)

A bit different with the zoom being on the "L" button and grenade being the "B" button.  But it gets comfortable pretty quickly.  At first the panning/sensitivity was a bit off so I adjusted it and it is quite perfect now.  As usual you can adjust to inverted Y or not.  Overall, the controls are different but easily manageable and comfortable.

Game play (9/10)

I am enjoying the game play so far.  Though the game begins with aliens simply coming from certain directions they balance the alien/zombie aggression with not tryign t o die too easily well.  In addition they have a killer duck and weave move that gets me often.  At the beginning it is nice to have teammates that fight along side you giving you a sense of a multiplayer game and some great convo.  Level design is fairly simple to start but gets more complex with multiple levels and railings and even walking around in rafters and catwalks.  So so far it seems that the level design will have some good variety even though being mostly in-doors.

Overall Initial Impressions (8.8/10)

Area 51 is definitely something to keep an eye on.  Several people were taken aback by the demos but it appears that they have improved the game enough to change many of those initially critical players.  From the start I did not feel like I was PLAYING a game as much as enjoying the game.  It moves at a good speed, nice graphics, and has a story line that is enjoyable.  I think that PS2 folks should definitely check it out since TS3 is the only real FPS competition right now and I think this is going to be much better.  Xbox folks, ehh, halo fan-boys will enjoy it but this is no halo-killer and shouldn't be touted as potentially being that.

I hope this helps!  Let me know what you all think.  Me kinda new to trying to write big reviews, only happens when I really like something.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 04:26:08 AM »

What are it's multiplayer options? Co-op?

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 10:48:50 AM »

Watch the front page for a contest on this very game....very shortly. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 04:50:01 PM »

Since I am lazy and have my xbox in my room away from the internet connection, I have not played Multiplayer yet myself.  Thats for this weekend.  

Of what I know (and in the team xbox link above) the basic break down is:

4-16 players
16 Maps
5 multiplayer modes - Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Capture and Hold and Infection mode (sounds really cool)
Dynamic Levels - that change size base don player # (Sounds like a enat idea, would like to see how it actually works)

-- unofrtunately, no co-op (I don't know whygames don't just have this option now adays)

Of what I read quickly in other places the MP is VERY fluid and smooth in addition to being highly and easily customizable.  But I'll get back to you after I play this weekend....
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 01:50:59 AM »

So what's the scoop on this?

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 02:18:09 PM »

Scoop is above.  The Single player is still a blast and my roommate keeps fighting me to play it.  I still haven't had a chance for the MP.  Sorry, woul dlove to report on it but the lady friend is being very demanding lately.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: