http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 08:58:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which consoles will you buy?
NextBox 360 Only - 12 (18.5%)
PS4 Only - 7 (10.8%)
Both - 23 (35.4%)
I'll be a PC gamer moving forward - 15 (23.1%)
Neither - 8 (12.3%)
Total Voters: 65

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are You Stepping Into the Next Gen?  (Read 2601 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2013, 08:44:30 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 03, 2013, 08:10:11 AM

In certain areas, just before they changed PS3 models, they were hard to find. But otherwise no.

and Jack Tretton still owes a lot of people money!  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 04:54:35 AM »

I'll be moving to the next gen with the next Xbox, but I won't buy one until it's been on the market for at least a year - might even wait longer. Halo became my favorite console franchise this gen, so I need the system that plays it. That said, I'll probably get a new PC before I get my next Xbox. I just don't game enough anymore to justify buying the other 2 consoles.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 05:32:12 AM »

I'll be getting both.  With two children, age 16 and soon to be 9, I have a built in excuse to give my wife when i buy them.    icon_biggrin
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 07:55:21 AM »

Yep, Sony leadership was just plain boneheaded. It was basically a bunch of mindless execs sitting pretty on the success of the PS2.

It sounds like with the PS4, they're trying to save face and get back as much support from developers as they can. Developer comments coming out the woodwork say that Sony has been way more helpful with the SDK, and have made the system architecture much more PC-like. However, I think this is also partly because they're lacking so much money that they're going with more off the shelf components from AMD, which seems to be their major partner.

I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up the PS4, but only if it's BC with some 2013 titles like The Last of Us. I'm eager to see what all the new first party titles will be like on newer generation hardware. Just imagining the next Uncharted or LittleBigPlanet game makes me very eager.

And, if my housemates don't get a Durango, I'll be picking that, but only well after the PS4.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:03:30 AM by Turtle » Logged
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on February 01, 2013, 06:46:00 PM

The chances of me buying Day 1 or Year 1 are slim. The two heavy factors for purchasing during that time frame for me are 1) Games and 2) Price. If there are no real games I'd want to play then I'm out. If there are games I want but the price of these systems are $350 or more I'm also out. I can wait till the games come out and they start bundling the systems and offering that inevitable "improved" model.

My guess is you're going to be out of luck. Thoughts out there are the systems will debut at $399.00 a piece, though I think games will stay at 59.99. I don't think the market will support a 450 or even 499 price point at this time...but we'll see.

Interesting discussion guys. The poll is quite divided.
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »

wont be day one buys, but I'm hoping as in the past, that there will be games that come out on them that just make me buy the system in order to play that game.

As in the past, I need to be "WoWed"   if not then I m perfectly content with my pc gaming.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 05:07:54 PM by tcweidner » Logged

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 08:11:13 PM »

I want to want the next XBox.  Between the [likely untrue] rumors, a decent backlog of things I've purchased, and general lack of time to play much at all, "We'll see".

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
IamChuckles
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 08:27:07 PM »

As someone mentioned earlier, the question may be what system do we buy for our kids?
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2013, 04:53:21 AM »

Can I completely mess with the poll and say, "I bought a Wii U, so I already have"? Tongue

I'm probably just going to go PC. The indie games coming out on PC are incredible, and there is rarely a game that makes me wish I had a PS3 or 360.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2013, 09:16:37 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on February 09, 2013, 04:53:21 AM

Can I completely mess with the poll and say, "I bought a Wii U, so I already have"? Tongue

You're probably joking, but for the record: The Wii U is current gen, not next gen. Nintendo just took their sweet time getting there.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2013, 10:13:17 AM »

looks like I've already stepped into this next gen 3 times according to Wiki list of the 8th generation of consolesbiggrin

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2013, 03:23:29 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 09, 2013, 09:16:37 AM

You're probably joking, but for the record: The Wii U is current gen, not next gen. Nintendo just took their sweet time getting there.

Wii was current gen.  Wii U is next gen.  It's just not as next gen as the other next gens.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 09, 2013, 03:23:29 PM

Quote from: TiLT on February 09, 2013, 09:16:37 AM

Wii was current gen.  Wii U is next gen.  It's just not as next gen as the other next gens.

This.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2013, 10:42:16 PM »

The biggest question for me is WHY?

I picked up the 360 to go with the HDTV, as well as since the PC had been somewhat forlorn before Steam completely re-energized it (IMHO).  I never picked up a PS3 or a Wii.  I've barely touched my 360 in the past 8 months, and I think I'm more likely to hook up a computer to my TV and go from there.

Ask me again in October, it's possible they could wow me, but for now, I haven't seen anything that would lead to me becoming an early adopter.  Maybe if I go with a new 4k tv or something, but for now I'm thinking that true value is on the PC side.  There's going to have to be something there that isn't being done well on the PC (and cheaper).  So far, I haven't seen it.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »

neXtBox information on Kotaku

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 01:39:17 PM »

Xbox 360 controllers won't work with the Durango, as they use what Microsoft is calling a "new wireless technology.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Bet within 12 months of release they put out a 'Durango classic controller' that's the 360 controller on the new frequency.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 12, 2013, 01:39:17 PM

Xbox 360 controllers won't work with the Durango, as they use what Microsoft is calling a "new wireless technology.

Bet within 12 months of release they put out a 'Durango classic controller' that's the 360 controller on the new frequency.

I disagree - for all we know, the new controllers have FFI (far-field-induction) and charge while idle. Controllers deal with power and communication - there may be more at play here rather than a reason to simply make more controllers to sell.

The thing I found interesting about the southbridge is the HDMI 1.4a IN. Pass-through?

The kinect-hardcoded console works for me. They expanded the range by 1m (.5m closer, .5m further out, no more waiting for the kinect to "nod" at you).

I was just thinking of this yesterday - it'd be pretty damned cool if the xbox controllers had an IR on them, so you could tell the kinect to adjust your volume, change your tv channel, etc.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 04:56:25 PM »

I don't want Wireless unless they have the same set up as the PS3 with the USB cable(no batteries or battery pack),I was sick of ponying up for Batteries or the Battery packs just dying all the time when i am 3ft from the TV so i bought a Wired controller,and love it to pieces

The next-generation Xbox—the one that will follow the still-popular Xbox 360—will run multiple games at once

icon_eek saywhat  Roll Eyes is this catering to the same crowd who were crying their eyes out for having to switch discs on a 3 disc game?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 06:10:58 PM »

Well maybe they'll actually sell a HD at a reasonable price (instead of 2 to 3 times laptop HD prices), or failing that, include a nice big one. So all games are just installed to a HD.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 06:12:58 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 12, 2013, 01:39:17 PM

if you look at the rest of the quote:

The Durango's control pad will be a "natural evolution" of the Xbox 360's pad, according to SuperDaE's info. While this suggests a near-identical layout—not necessarily a problem considering the cross-platform popularity of the layout with the PC—Xbox 360 controllers won't work with the Durango, as they use what Microsoft is calling a "new wireless technology."

they may not be changing the actual layout- unless they decide to put an LCD screen on the controller I don't see them changing the design much.  the controller S was a hit, and people love the 360 controller.  about the only change I can think of that would be cool is if they're planning on making the battery rechargeable and going with a regular USB cable to do so.

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2013, 06:52:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 12, 2013, 06:12:58 PM

they may not be changing the actual layout- unless they decide to put an LCD screen on the controller I don't see them changing the design much.  the controller S was a hit, and people love the 360 controller.  about the only change I can think of that would be cool is if they're planning on making the battery rechargeable and going with a regular USB cable to do so.

I saw that. But it would boost sales (imo) if they sell a base unit at 70.00 less without any controllers and allow their huge install base to bring that hardware forward. They could come in cheaper than Sony no matter what and it would encourage current 360 owners to jump in sooner...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2013, 06:58:53 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 12, 2013, 06:52:57 PM

I saw that. But it would boost sales (imo) if they sell a base unit at 70.00 less without any controllers and allow their huge install base to bring that hardware forward. They could come in cheaper than Sony no matter what and it would encourage current 360 owners to jump in sooner...

ah, gotcha.  I agree.  even if they didn't do a discounted version without a controller at least people wouldn't have to go out and buy a second one.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2013, 01:55:10 AM »

Quote from: ATB on February 12, 2013, 06:52:57 PM

See, you're supposed to explain why you thought it was dumb. If the only thing they're changing is a controller communication channel and a logo, then I totally agree.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2013, 01:28:42 PM »

I know, the more I think about possibilities, the more I'm interested in these new consoles.

The second generation of motion controls, or other methods of input, will hopefully be enough so that developers can at least try some game types that have been missing on consoles.

I'm playing 999 on the DS right now, and I just realized a game like that would be great on a bigger screen.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2013, 05:52:55 PM »

funny you say that,new rumours are that SONY are moving their start and select buttons to make way for a touch screen
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/390977/more-ps4-controller-rumours-emerge/

Fresh rumours concerning the form of the PlayStation 4 controller have been published online.

According to a VG247 source, the controller is "more or less" the same shape as PS3's DualShock, but the Start and Select buttons have been have been moved to accommodate a front touchpad.
The report also claims that the L2 and R2 shoulder buttons have been remodelled, and that the previously rumoured 'Share' button doesn't exist.

Edge recently reported: "A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet."

If the latest rumour turns out to be accurate, the removal of the Share button wouldn't necessarily result in Sony dropping support for the above-mentioned feature.

In January, a senior games studio source working on an upcoming Sony game told CVG that the new system's controller has undergone numerous iterations, few of which resemble the DualShock build that has become synonymous with PlayStation. Versions of the new PS4 pad include biometric sensors on the grips and an LCD touch screen, they said.

I don't think i like anything in that has been said in those paragraphs(new or old) apart from the L2 and R2 buttons being remodelled,hopefully to make them more natural like the 360 controller...other than that,it's all "Nintendo style gimmicky bollocks™"

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2013, 06:04:07 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 13, 2013, 05:52:55 PM

funny you say that,new rumours are that SONY are moving their start and select buttons to make way for a touch screen

Not touch screen. Touch pad. It's the same kind of thing you'll find on the back of the Vita.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 13, 2013, 06:04:07 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 13, 2013, 05:52:55 PM

Not touch screen. Touch pad. It's the same kind of thing you'll find on the back of the Vita.

oh,sorry(i was thinking iPad/touchpad).....same reaction though to be honest

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: