http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 07:00:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which consoles will you buy?
NextBox 360 Only - 12 (18.5%)
PS4 Only - 7 (10.8%)
Both - 23 (35.4%)
I'll be a PC gamer moving forward - 15 (23.1%)
Neither - 8 (12.3%)
Total Voters: 65

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are You Stepping Into the Next Gen?  (Read 1914 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »

There's been some talk around the boards about how significantly gaming time has dried up as we've aged as a group.  I wonder if that has impacted everyone's plan  about moving forward with the next gen of consoles.

I can't foresee myself buying any of them.

The only reason I bought a PS3 was for MGS4 (there have been subsequent great games on the system for sure) and I bought the 360 because I loved XB1.  That said, almost every major IP that I'm attached to has either ended or  been born, lived and ended this generation so I don't see the need to go forward.

Also, I'm perfectly contented with the 360/PS3 combination and I hope that for several years they will have continued good support due to the install bases (whether that's ports or games designed specifically for).  I can't see Sony continuing with the PS3 for 7 or 8 more years, but I also don't see either side stopping support as abruptly as  MS did for XB1

On top of that, and as mentioned above, I just don't have the time or the desire to play that much anymore.

Lastly. I have a pretty new PC and for now that seems to be the best experience...though given the choice for current gen games, I lean toward the 360.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 05:39:02 PM »

I play less and less over the years, but I can't see a scenario where I don't own at least one of the consoles.  Most likely the Xbox, but if the next Playstation continues with the Uncharted franchise then I suppose I'll have to buy one of those too.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 05:43:22 PM »

I will definitely pick up the next Xbox, and possibly the PS4 if a must-have game shows up or they implement some new tech well. That's mainly because I haven't touched my PS3 in months but still use my 360 several times a week. I'm not sure that I'll be rushing to get the next Xbox if I can still play the 360 while they work out any kinks though. I shipped my 360 back to MS three times for the RROD and would rather not deal with that type of thing again.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 05:45:08 PM »

Aside from old PC games and the occasional iOS title, and emulation, I'm pretty much done. I have no desire to ever purchase a new console or upgrade my computer for gaming purposes again.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:46:44 PM by heloder » Logged
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 05:46:11 PM »

The question for me isn't 'which one', but rather 'which one first'

I can't answer that without more info slywink
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:30:37 PM by th'FOOL » Logged

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »

I'm a PC gamer first and foremost.  I'll consider the neXtBox if they find a way to cut down on multi-disc games (MS getting on the ball with classic games being downloadable wouldn't hurt either).  Sony will really have to wow me with first party/exclusive games (so I don't end up with another glorified blu ray player), the controller (DS3 feels too cheap, it needs concave triggers plus the thumbstick placement cramps my hands up) and the price of the console.

out of the current gent, my 360 barely gets used for gaming and more for Netfllx/Amazon Instant, my PS3 got replaced with a real blu ray player and my Wii gets used for Gamecube titles (and oddly enough Wii games on the Wii U).  I've been playing PSone titles on the Vita and I've been playing others on the PS2.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 05:47:51 PM »

There should be an option for yes I am going next gen, but just not sure which one yet.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 05:48:58 PM »

Given a couple years and some price drops probably both, but Iím in no hurry.  I purchased a WiiU on release day because I enjoy first party Nintendo games.  I canít really name a first party Sony or Microsoft game series that I care about. I will always be a PC gamer first and most third party titles will come out there anyways so I can wait.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 05:51:55 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 01, 2013, 05:47:30 PM

I'm a PC gamer first and foremost.  I'll consider the neXtBox if they find a way to cut down on multi-disc games (MS getting on the ball with classic games being downloadable wouldn't hurt either).  Sony will really have to wow me with first party/exclusive games (so I don't end up with another glorified blu ray player), the controller (DS3 feels too cheap, it needs concave triggers plus the thumbstick placement cramps my hands up) and the price of the console.

out of the current gent, my 360 barely gets used for gaming and more for Netfllx/Amazon Instant, my PS3 got replaced with a real blu ray player and my Wii gets used for Gamecube titles (and oddly enough Wii games on the Wii U).  I've been playing PSone titles on the Vita and I've been playing others on the PS2.

You sound like an old man
Ceekay to his neighbor kids  "Back in my day, we didn't need all these fancy graphics and buttons damn it! Dragon Warrior 1 only used 2 buttons and it only needed 4 different colored 2d slimes to be awesome! Ya darn youngsters need to learn what a good game is!"

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 05:53:59 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on February 01, 2013, 05:51:55 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 01, 2013, 05:47:30 PM

You sound like an old man
Ceekay to his neighbor kids  "Back in my day, we didn't need all these fancy graphics and buttons damn it! Dragon Warrior 1 only used 2 buttons and it only needed 4 different colored 2d slimes to be awesome! Ya darn youngsters need to learn what a good game is!"

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 05:54:11 PM »

I will get them both and both on the day they come out.  I am a junkie.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 05:57:30 PM »

Probably PS4 at first, but likely both eventually.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 06:13:26 PM »

I can't completely say at this point I won't get one of the two systems but I'm confident I'll wait until the first revision before jumping in.

My concerns are the continued focus on DLC and micro transactions. Will Microsoft continue to have a pay wall for multiplayer? Will games finally reach the point of being fully cinematic, play themselves affairs? I mainly play XBLA games right now with the occasional AAA release. I typically get more value from a $15 game than I do a $60 one that is essentially an interactive cut scene. I'm not sure I'm really interested in the current direction of modern video games.

Unfortunately I'm impulsive and a sucker for the latest and greatest gadgets I become bored with weeks after buying them. frown
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 06:42:31 PM »

I find myself shifting further away from console/pc games and more into board games. I find them more entertaining(even solo) and a much better value. I have a massive backlog from this gen, so that will keep me busy for awhile.

On the other hand I might be an early adopter and just go for it. I'm a sucker for new gaming stuff.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 06:44:25 PM »

I'll buy all the next round of consoles eventually, but just like I haven't been in a hurry to buy a 3DS or a Wii U, I think I can wait for a price drop on the new Sony & MS offerings.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »

The chances of me buying Day 1 or Year 1 are slim. The two heavy factors for purchasing during that time frame for me are 1) Games and 2) Price. If there are no real games I'd want to play then I'm out. If there are games I want but the price of these systems are $350 or more I'm also out. I can wait till the games come out and they start bundling the systems and offering that inevitable "improved" model.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 07:05:02 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on February 01, 2013, 05:46:11 PM

The question for me isn't 'which one', but rather 'which on first'

thumbsup

I know I won't be able to resist so why lie about it?   icon_wink

portable gaming is another deal entirely.  I'm surprised that I have no desire whatsoever to pick up a Vita or a Wii U.  The iPad and its wealth of boardgame ports is the only mobile gaming I do or even want these days.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 07:12:46 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 01, 2013, 07:05:02 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on February 01, 2013, 05:46:11 PM

The question for me isn't 'which one', but rather 'which on first'

thumbsup

I know I won't be able to resist so why lie about it?   icon_wink

portable gaming is another deal entirely.  I'm surprised that I have no desire whatsoever to pick up a Vita or a Wii U.  The iPad and its wealth of boardgame ports is the only mobile gaming I do or even want these days.

You know, I was disturbed recently to discover that both my Vita and 3DS are out of juice.  They haven't been charged in weeks.  I think I may be on the way out with handheld gaming (well, not the phone - that's taken over, which is undoubtedly the problem).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 07:20:57 PM »

I wish I could get into games on my phone. I'd save a ton of money. Most of them are horrendous to play due to the virtual control pad/buttons. I'll stick to my 3DS.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 07:38:05 PM »

I would love to be Xbox exclusive, because I vastly prefer its controller and dashboard. However, almost every exclusive game that I enjoy resides on the PS3- Uncharted, Infamous, Sly Cooper, God of War, Yakuza, Killzone, Resistance, etc. That means a PS4 is mandatory.

Meanwhile, from a gaming perspective I'm most able to dump the Xbox, as MS has basically destroyed their 1st party development. I'm not a Halo, or Forza fan, and Gears will go multi-platform if it continues next gen, and Fable is underwhelming.

PS+ is gaining ground on Xbox Live very quickly, and from a price-to-value point it has in many ways surpassed it. If this trend continues into the next generation, and MS has no stable of exclusive 1st party games for differentiation, I could see MS losing ground.

But for the moment, I'm in for both.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 07:46:58 PM »

I'm mainly a PC gamer right now, with MOBAs, MMOs and RPGs being my favorite games these days. The PS4 would have to make a serious impression on me for me to get it. I'm partial to PS franchises like 'God Of War', 'Uncharted' and 'Little Big Planet', so eventually I see myself owning a PS4.

Now, the XBox has never done a thing for me. 'Halo' and 'Gears Of War' have never interested me, and the last 'Fable' I played was the very 1st one on the XBox. So, Microsoft would have to pull a miracle to get me as a patron.

To add: And the WiiU has left me cold. Not until the next Zelda game is released do I see myself getting a WiiU.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 08:36:15 PM »

I checked neXtBox, but I'll end up where most of my friends end up

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 08:50:40 PM »

I'm sure I'll get both, but exactly when will depend. If they both come out at the same time, I would imagine I will go XBOX first unless Sony pulls something amazing out of their hat. On the other hand, given that there are almost no XBOX games that don't also come out on either PC or PS4, I will have some thinking to do.

I'll be looking to see how Sony improves their controller and the ease of use of PSN and what Microsoft does to make XBOX Live Gold a better deal.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 09:03:58 PM »

I'll be getting everything. Steambox, Xbox, PS4, and anything else that tickles my fancy.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »

I was an early xbox and 360 adopter, but if the PSN continues to be free, I will go that route first.  I had a bad experience canceling xbox live service that has me soured on MS's xbox live practices.  My family uses the PS3 and 360 just as much for watching movies on Amazon Prime and Netflix as we do for gaming.  If one platform offers a price fee option to get to both of those (like PSN does now), then that's where my $ will go first.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 09:30:26 PM »

If you have a high-end PC you're already in the "next gen", but as for which next gen console I plan to get, for sure the next Sony console since I know there will be a wealth of exclusives. I'll probably pass on the next MS console since I can get most of the games on PC, and Microsoft's exclusives don't excite me.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 11:36:56 PM »

I'm in wait-and-see mode.  My biggest concerns are a) will preowned games be permitted and b) will digital content purchases from this gen carry over in some form or fashion.   But I don't intend on purchasing all the consoles as I've done for the past three generations.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:03:43 AM by Laner » Logged
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 02:25:47 AM »

Im pc+wii+ds. My old comp still handles new titles and ive got backlog on all systems. Eyeing 3ds later in year and someday wiiu. Pc gives me fps fix and while me and kids like nintendo. Do like some of the ps3 stuff so might eye a ps4 but doubt it. Dont mind being a gen behind.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 03:45:45 AM »

Possibly, if there's something that really knocks my socks off.  (i.e. a Final Fantasy game at launch would go a long way towards swaying me one way or the other)  Not really dying to make the jump though...I barely have enough time to game as it is, and I'll be adding two more little ones shortly.

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 06:20:21 AM »

Not sure yet. The wife knows ill be grabbing one of em though. I was a Xbox fan got numerous 360s that died and went ps3. So... Not sure at all. Wait and see.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 06:34:36 AM »

I will be getting both but not at launch probably wait until the first revisions.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 11:57:06 AM »

'no' for several reasons.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »

Quote from: siege on February 01, 2013, 07:20:57 PM

I wish I could get into games on my phone. I'd save a ton of money. Most of them are horrendous to play due to the virtual control pad/buttons. I'll stick to my 3DS.

I see it as the equivalent of moving from the PC to consoles.  You may give up a little bit in graphics and control, but the convenience of playing on the couch (or on a phone that you have with you anyway) far outweighs those negatives.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 04:52:09 PM »

I just finished Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions for the Wii and may start up Arkham City soon. In other words, I won't be interested in a next gen until I am done with my backlog. (I still intend to play my unopened copy of Deus Ex for the pc someday)
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 11:34:43 PM »

Massive backlog on more than one system, plus a PC capable of handling whatever game comes out, plus my almost non-existent presence on XBL the last year means I don't intend on making the jump in the foreseeable future.  it's going to take exclusives and the death of ps3/360 before I migrate.  I will be strong and avoid the impulse console buy.  learned my lesson with the Wii and the 3DS.  I stopped myself before either the Vita or the WiiU became purchases. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 11:53:27 PM »

Backlog, how I curse ye!

I'm generally on the previous-gen systems. Once the PS4/XBox Next (or whatever) comes out, I'll likely be mashing the controllers of PS3/360.

On the plus side, doing that saves me massive amounts of money! smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 12:59:44 AM »

I've never bought and Xbox and I will probably continue to not do so thanks to the Live pay wall and the fact that the 360 has almost no decent exclusives (that I'm interested in playing). I'm also in wait and see mode especially since I don't play console games that much anyways. We'll see what happens on the 20th. I really hope that Sony doesn't pull a Sony and disappoint us all.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2013, 04:29:24 AM »

Even if they both end up gathering dust I refuse to fall into the behavior I had with both the 360 and PS3 - first I convinced myself I didn't want one, but then once they released and everyone was talking about them I ended up paying exorbitant prices on Ebay - both times!  You'd think I would learn my lesson.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 07:30:58 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 03, 2013, 04:29:24 AM

Even if they both end up gathering dust I refuse to fall into the behavior I had with both the 360 and PS3 - first I convinced myself I didn't want one, but then once they released and everyone was talking about them I ended up paying exorbitant prices on Ebay - both times!  You'd think I would learn my lesson.
Was there ever a time where you couldn't just walk into a store and pick up a PS3 off the shelf?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 08:10:11 AM »

In certain areas, just before they changed PS3 models, they were hard to find. But otherwise no.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: