http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 12:37:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Are you such a hardcore gamer that you will buy the PS3 at its announced price?  (Voting closed: May 09, 2006, 02:19:40 PM)
Yes, while a hard pill to swallow I must have the newest tech. - 12 (19.4%)
No, sheer economics price me out of this, no matter how hardcore. - 24 (38.7%)
I want a PS3 but will wait for a price drop. - 26 (41.9%)
Total Voters: 61

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you hardcore enough....  (Read 1654 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2006, 02:19:40 PM »

With all the talk about the price of PS3, I present a poll.

Edit to add:  While I would like to get a PS3 at some point, it will not be at launch, for me the price needs to drop a minimum of $200 before I would consider it.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 03:15:13 PM »

I'm pre-ordering. If possible I'm going to get it at release.

Ascendent
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 03:31:16 PM »

I'm considering pre-ordering for the eBay sale, but... that seems wrong somehow.

PSN ID: EduardoX
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 03:43:12 PM »

Price drop!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 03:50:15 PM »

I'm going to do one of two things.  I'm going to either go into Gamestop and EB and preorder one from each store and hope that the demand is so great that I can sell one on ebay to pay for the other.  Or I am going to pass.

I'm leaning towards preordering 2 because I can always get my deposit back if my plan falls through.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 03:58:39 PM »

Not to get too off-track, but the local Gamestop here won't even take pre-orders.  They are expecting to receive so few, the Regional Manager apparently doesn't want to go there... or so I was told.

This could be an ugly launch.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 04:21:09 PM »

I am really torn. I am one that wants the newest tech (hell I bought a 3DO!) ....but this just seems wrong.

I don't know what I will do. If I start to see some more really impressive stuff, then I might bite the bullet and get it....but as of now, I'm out.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 04:37:28 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Not to get too off-track, but the local Gamestop here won't even take pre-orders.  They are expecting to receive so few, the Regional Manager apparently doesn't want to go there... or so I was told.

This could be an ugly launch.

You know, this is what I'm expecting as well. None of the stores want the backlash that the 360 had, so why chance things again?

This console will be impossible to find come November. Well, short of eBay, where they'll be $1000 easily.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 04:45:16 PM »

I didn't vote as there wasn't an option for me. I can wait, unless there is an exclusive game that I really, really want (GTA?). This is what I did with the PS2 and it worked great for me.

LiveTAG: happydog
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 04:52:33 PM »

I'm young, dumb, and have a relatively large amount of disposable income.

I'm getting one.

gellar
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 05:08:10 PM »

I figure 400 bucks for the game part, and 200 hundred for the hd movie part. If you break the system down into the two things it is, it is not hard to rationalize.   HD movie player is going to run you 200 at least anyway, so is 400 bucks any different than other new gen systems?

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 05:09:19 PM »

If my job situation allows it, of course.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 05:16:51 PM »

Nope... I bought all of the last gen consoles the day they came out.  But my 360 will tide me over for quite some time.  I'm certainly not going to pay $600 for full blu-ray capability, especially when it could easily disappear a la Betamax.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 05:25:25 PM »

I'll need a couple great games to pull me over to Sony, like the next MLB or such.  Otherwise, one next gen console plus a Wii will hold me over I hope.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 05:46:54 PM »

If it doesn't price drop by the time MGS4 comes out, I'll be forced to.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 06:01:42 PM »

I suppose if I had the extra cash at that time, I'd get one.  It's doubtful I will, especially around holiday time, so it looks like I'll be waiting for a price drop.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 06:02:16 PM »

Depends on how rich I am at the time, but my magic 8 ball says, probably not right away, no.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 06:25:32 PM »

http://1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7012050&publicUserId=5380122

And as expected, they dropped some bombs. Only this time, instead of going into the following day to see how the survivors are dealing with the wreckage, we're staring straight back at Sony and the damage they did to themselves. The bombs, for once, backfired. Damage was dealt, but for the most part, there was a severe, premature detonation.

The conference, for all intents and purposes, was a disaster. From an atrocious looking demo of Gran Turismo 4 running in high definition (Why did we need to watch this for 10 minutes?) to an almost pitiful Kaz Hirai almost begging for applause when showing off the original Ridge Racer running on a PSP ("It's Ridge Racer. . . RIDGE RACER!").

With the exception of the absolutely stunning Metal Gear Solid 4 trailer -- a title that I, even as a Metal Gear fan really wasn't interested in until that moment, everything was a dud. And yet, they managed to top themselves.

It would should have been the single moment in time where we could pinpoint exactly where Sony would continue their reign upon the console throne, we were thrown for a loop. We were punked.

Somewhere in Los Angeles, a smile crept slowly across the face of Microsoft's Peter Moore. No longer would the term "Tard Pack" be synonymous with Microsoft and his XBOX 360.

For now, Sony has managed to one up them. Presenting, The Playstation 3 Tard Pack. Yes, for only $499 dollars, you too can own a crippled Blu-Ray player, complete with a lack of much touted WiFi connectivity (Peace out wireless PSP interaction) and memory stick slots that would not only make way for a sort of open source "memory card" solution, but also the "Ultimate media center" angle goes out the window too.

Ouch.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 06:43:03 PM »

Speaking of "hardcore", I ran across an article yesterday about how 4 out of 10 Americans play video games of some kind.  Pretty cool, pretty cool.  Then I kept on reading and they categorized "hardcore" gamers as those who play for more than three hours a week.  Isn't that a little low to classify someone as a "hardcore gamer"?  I thought so.

Anyway, I THINK I may wait on a price-drop for the PS3.  Unless there are SEVERAL - not just one or two - games that look awesome and "unmissable."

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 08:19:58 PM »

Quote from: "happydog"
I can wait, unless there is an exclusive game that I really, really want (GTA?).

It is looking like I can wait.

LiveTAG: happydog
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 08:29:05 PM »

When the core system hits $300, that's when I'll get it.  By that time, there should be a good mix of newer titles and Greatest Hits to offer a nice selection of games.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 02:26:20 PM »

I will be buying it day 1.

I payed $500 for the 360 w/ wireless adapter. So paying $600 for built in WiFi, HDMI, and a 60 gig drive not to mention a blue-ray drive is a bargain in my book.

Hell, I payed $400 for my last video card.

Quite frankly I don't understand why people are up in arms. If you break down everything that goes into that box, that price is a steal.

I can understand if you are in school or can't afford it due to some circumstance, but to say that they are charging too much is slightly out of perspective.

People spend $1500 or more sometimes on a gaming rig. Yeah, you can say the PC does more, but you can buy a $450 box if all you want is web surfing and email.

People spend the added dough so they can play games, or if they have a job that requires high end computational power.

It is all perspective. If you compare it to other technologies, it is one hell of a deal.

I remember paying $299 for a Turbo Graphix 16 and then laying down another $400 for the CD-ROM attachment just so I could play Y's, and that was back in the late 80s early 90s!

Let the flames begin  :wink:

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 02:43:33 PM »

ITs shock right now, let it settle down. But 600$ is not a mass market price, and alot of people do not spend this much on entertainment at home. DVD's didnt become mass market until the player was under 200.00

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 02:54:18 PM »

Yes, with two caveats:

1) I'm actually getting the $500 version for reasons I've stated before on this and other forums.  It makes perfect sense for me and I won't be missing out on anything so it certainly makes the price much more manageable.  

2) Launch is six months away and plans can always change so if my finances take a hit for some unforseen reason then, yeah, I'll wait until I can afford it.  But as of right now it will be my Christmas present this year just like the 360 was last year's present (not sure what holiday I'll use to justify the Wii to my wife just yet).
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 02:57:52 PM »

No for me.  I never really played my PS2 so why buy the PS3?  Nothing on it excites me.  MGS bored me to death several iterations ago.  Final Fantasy's are too long and drawn out (FFVIII was fun though).  Dragon Quest was horrible.  Katamari never grabbed me and Guitar Hero has no appeal to me since I'm not into rock and don't know the songs.  I never played God of War so I can't comment about it.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
warning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 03:03:57 PM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
I will be buying it day 1.

I payed $500 for the 360 w/ wireless adapter. So paying $600 for built in WiFi, HDMI, and a 60 gig drive not to mention a blue-ray drive is a bargain in my book.

Hell, I payed $400 for my last video card.

Quite frankly I don't understand why people are up in arms. If you break down everything that goes into that box, that price is a steal.

I can understand if you are in school or can't afford it due to some circumstance, but to say that they are charging too much is slightly out of perspective.

People spend $1500 or more sometimes on a gaming rig. Yeah, you can say the PC does more, but you can buy a $450 box if all you want is web surfing and email.

People spend the added dough so they can play games, or if they have a job that requires high end computational power.

It is all perspective. If you compare it to other technologies, it is one hell of a deal.

I remember paying $299 for a Turbo Graphix 16 and then laying down another $400 for the CD-ROM attachment just so I could play Y's, and that was back in the late 80s early 90s!

Let the flames begin  :wink:

The problem is there are a lot of moderate to lower income people who can and did afford a PS2 for themselves or for their children.  They bought it because it was inexpensive (<$250) and there were a lot of relatively inexpensive games available for it.  Usually they were Christmas presents or were bought with tax return money.  Often they were purchased because they could also double as a first DVD player - allowing access to that new medium.

That demographic is effectively priced out of the PS3 for years to come, and possibly forever.  Sure the hardcore gamers could buy it and people with enough disposable income could buy it and you and I could buy it.  But middle to lower-middle class people probably don't have HDTV's so Blu-ray means nothing to them.  Why would they pay around twice what they paid for their PS2's just for video games?

I can't see the price on the PS3 getting down to the more or less affordable under-$250 range anytime soon.  By releasing this console at this price Sony has ensured that a portion of the people who made the PS1 and PS2 so successful can't participate.

Suddenly Microsoft and (especially) Nintendo start to look a lot more attractive to that population.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2006, 03:35:01 PM »

If I can get my hands on one on release day and I have the money, sure I'll buy one.

ANd then I'll sell it on Ebay for two or three times what I paid for it.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2006, 03:57:51 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
(not sure what holiday I'll use to justify the Wii to my wife just yet).

easy - hanukkah...

if there's a launch title or 2 that looks good (& that's really ready at launch), yeah, i'll probably get one. otherwise, i'll wait...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2006, 05:29:23 PM »

Definitely a wait and see.  Last Fall I sprung for the 50" Plasma +Wall Mount+ High-Def cable DVR and got the 360 to go with it.  Rather than pump $600 + $50-100 on accessories + $60/game + Sales Tax, I'll probably just get 3-4 360 titles and maybe the HD-DVD add-on to the 360, if it looks like the titles will be there, as well as quality, etc.

Sony appears to be banking on the kind of reception the 360 got to drive demand, but a chunk of that demand is tied into the HD market and HD gaming, and it may be that Sony is going to launch too late/too expensive to really catch that wave.

It *May* be.  Between now and November, every gamer buying HD sets will also get a 360 to maximize the experience.  Then they'll be faced with another large outlay for the PS3.  If there are any to be had.  Any production shortages just might kill the PS3 - MS could survive last holiday season's shortages because there was no competition, Sony can't - every box a potential buyer can't find easily the first time into the store will likely become a 360 buyer - cheaper + more games + available will be tough to compete against.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2006, 05:34:47 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
*what warning said*

You make a lot of excellent points there. Simply put - the console is priced outside the price range of your more 'average' consumer. The one who's possibly purchased an extra console due to whatever reason.

So, yes, this console will sell very well at launch (thanks to all the hardcore people out there, and/or eBayers), but beyond that, it will fail. You just can't expect the average consumer to drop over half a G just for a gaming console.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2006, 06:01:24 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
easy - hanukkah...

.. only if your Wii is circumcised. :roll:

I'm just covering off all the easy jokes here; I don't think of Nintendo as a bunch of penis-peddlers.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2006, 02:23:37 AM »

It all depends on the future of Guitar Hero... if I need a PS3 to play a future guitar hero... well... that might just do it for me.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
unbreakable
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2006, 03:24:34 AM »

I think the issue is Sony's intentions with the PS3.

THEY do not see it as selling you a console, they view it as selling you a home entertainment system.  Perhaps it's just due to the difference between the Japanese and American markets.  I don't remember the statistic, but a heavy percentage of Japanese users had their PS2 as their only DVD player.  In the USA, not so much.

Sony is using the PS3 to get Blu-Ray players into everyone's house, and possibly win the format war based on that factor alone.

Will their gambit pay off?  Time will tell.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2006, 07:05:53 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
Speaking of "hardcore", I ran across an article yesterday about how 4 out of 10 Americans play video games of some kind.  Pretty cool, pretty cool.  Then I kept on reading and they categorized "hardcore" gamers as those who play for more than three hours a week.  Isn't that a little low to classify someone as a "hardcore gamer"?  I thought so.

Anyway, I THINK I may wait on a price-drop for the PS3.  Unless there are SEVERAL - not just one or two - games that look awesome and "unmissable."

Yeah, I think play for more than three hours a week = a gamer. Play less than 3 hours a week = non gamer.

Hardcore gamers are those who play games almost daily.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: