http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 04:51:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Got it? Like it?  (Voting closed: November 28, 2005, 09:42:16 PM)
Love it (or like it) - 36 (47.4%)
Hate it - 4 (5.3%)
You lucky SOBs, I didn't get one - 36 (47.4%)
Total Voters: 76

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you happy with your 360?  (Read 4764 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2005, 07:30:26 PM »

Where is the 'Didn't get one and think the rampant fanboy and anti-fanboyism surrounding this console is completely insane.' option?  slywink

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2005, 07:37:57 PM »

Stop with the Hetz bashing. Make it funny, or STFU. Plain and simple. biggrin He's a gamer who gets easily excited about shiney new things just like the rest of us, but a little moreso on the 360 because it will let him play Oblivion.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. We now return you to your regularly scheduled gaming thread already in progress...

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2005, 07:45:18 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Quote from: "Arclight"
Oh yeah, heaven forbid someone doesn't like something that a ton of others do.

Next we'll all be wearing brown shirts shouting, Heil Hitler.

I think the problem is that people vote but then post nothing detailling why they don't like the system.

Bingo.  If you genuinely "hate" it, let us know why!  For those of us that don't own one or are on the fence, weighing the pros and cons is important.  Personally, I'd like to know why someone hated it, as long as it's for reasons other than "OMG M$ $UX PS3 4EVAR LOL11!"
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2005, 08:09:53 PM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
Reasons I love my Xbox 360:
Kameo
Call of Duty 2
PGR3
Condemned
Xbox Live arcade games (SMASH TV!!!)
Xbox Live features that track single player gaming achievements
Universal dashboard game settings
Streaming mp3s
Streaming digital photos
Themes
Shutting the console down from the couch (priceless)

Reasons I hate the Xbox 360:
Hetz constantly bickering

crybaby

Anyway, you seriously need to change your avatar. It makes me want to vomit each time I read a post from you...   Tongue

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
warning

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2005, 08:11:14 PM »

Sure I'll keep it civil....That really isn't hard for me to do.

Thank you.  I'm sure it's not hard for you to do.  We all get riled up from time to time.

Regardless, Hetz is a provoking personality that obviously takes delight in belittling and baitting others...

So, does he get a warning, warning? :wink:

I saw a little friendly (seemed friendly to me anyway) baiting earlier in this thread but no belittling.  The belittling happened yesterday with Hetz and it was already addressed.

Quote from: "Gratch"
Where is the 'Didn't get one and think the rampant fanboy and anti-fanboyism surrounding this console is completely insane.' option? :wink:

Quoted for Truth, Justice and The American Way!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2005, 08:21:49 PM »

SNAP!! Warning wins!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2005, 08:28:51 PM »

I'd like to see this poll again after a couple months.  When you've just dropped $500 on something, it's hard to, you know, say bad things about it.

See also:  PSP

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2005, 08:38:48 PM »

If any of you who just got this machine and actually hated it, I'd slap you up side your head. One week after launch? You should be ecstatic to have one let alone actually playing games on it.

Now a year or more down the road is the where the real lovers and haters live.

I think it's great that many of you jumped the grenades as early adopters. I appreciate it. This way I can feel really comfortable when I decide to get one because I know I'll have a more affordable system, with less bugs and ultimately cheaper games!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2005, 08:52:42 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
crybaby

Anyway, you seriously need to change your avatar. It makes me want to vomit each time I read a post from you...   Tongue

Oh, don't cry, Hetz! Kobra gets 98% of the blame.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2005, 08:57:31 PM »

See also: PSP

Absolutely! Only system that comes close to 360 for me!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2005, 09:00:40 PM »

I have a few minor beefs with the system. It seems like most--if not all--of the new dashboard functionality could have been incorporated into the original Xbox dash. Arcade could have been successful were it a dash option instead of a disk. Yes, those are more gripes against Microsoft than the 360, but while they are cool, they don't seem "next gen." More importantly, they have completely broken the chat function. Meeting in the dash made it much easier for a group to decide on a game to play. The voice quality has also plummeted. I don't understand the need to have four dedicated voice channels, especially if I can only talk to one person at a time. Nor can you talk to original Xboxers, so the "community" Microsoft touts so highly is instantly fractured. Backwards compatibility isn't very well implemented thus far, either.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2005, 09:10:35 PM »

Quote from: "adamsappel"
Backwards compatibility isn't very well implemented thus far, either.

I haven't tried any outside of Halo 2 myself but I've read lots of reports of framerate problems and at least one game with an enormous scripting bug (Freedom Fighters) in "officially" BC games.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2005, 09:39:38 PM »

Not just functionality, but volume. Barbie's Horse Adventure aside, where are all our favorites? I played a bit of Crimson Skies and Halo 2 and those seemed perfect to me.

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2005, 09:41:11 PM »

Arcade could have been successful were it a dash option instead of a disk.

:?
I don't understand what you are saying here. Are you talking about the fact that you had to get an arcade disk for the Old School Xbox?

As to you comment about the dashboard, I agree it 'could' have been done in the old version, but I for one thank god it isn't.

LiveTAG: happydog
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2005, 11:05:35 PM »

:

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
I'd like to see this poll again after a couple months.  When you've just dropped $500 on something, it's hard to, you know, say bad things about it.

See also:  PSP

TheMissingLink on PSN
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2005, 11:18:40 PM »

Oh yeah, heaven forbid someone doesn't like something that a ton of others do.

Next we'll all be wearing brown shirts shouting, Heil Hitler.

Right, questioning why is definately inline with the facist nazi regime.  :roll:  Frankly, if I were to state I hated stars and stripes or apple pie I'd get just as much flak. Freedom Fries my ass.

The comment from hetz was to reflect that until he posted about this at OO, there were no nay-sayers. Then the no-s come rolling in (33-4 at this time) and no reasons as to why people hate it. The people who love it comment though.  :?:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2005, 11:36:34 PM »

seems like most--if not all--of the new dashboard functionality could have been incorporated into the original Xbox dash.

I disagree. The way the Xbox1 loaded (as I understand it) is the BIOS loads the software (game) and then the game loads the networking functionality. Every time I was in LIVE on the XBox1 and switched games, it would ALWAYS drop. I mean, consistantly. I'd have to ask for the invite again. The Live functionality we enjoy on the 360 is consistant throughout, and I don't know if the structure would lend itself well.

Arcade could have been successful were it a dash option instead of a disk. Yes, those are more gripes against Microsoft than the 360, but while they are cool, they don't seem "next gen."

Agreed, since we all had the Hard disk with Xbox1. I don't know that it would have truly "sold me" on it though.

More importantly, they have completely broken the chat function. Meeting in the dash made it much easier for a group to decide on a game to play.
I have not been able to create a multi-person chat room, and this bothered me a bit. Not significantly, as I can still send messages to multiple gamers at the same time.

The voice quality has also plummeted.
Not for me; it seems better. I have the play-n-charge kit; maybe the "AA" method is saving power? (I'm assuming here; I may be wrong)

I don't understand the need to have four dedicated voice channels, especially if I can only talk to one person at a time.

The four channels looks like a throwback to .... The Microsoft Game Voice. Yep, it's back. Think of it this way... your game has it's independant chat function, and then you have 4 private channels... you can invite someone whom you are playing with (in a team of people) to privately converse, whether to take something "offline" or to speak about more personal matters ("Did your 'Roids clear up?") You can have up to 4, and they're all private. (and the alotted channels stay while the system is turned on.. when someone leaves it to move to another channel you are notified, as well as when they return). Also it means you can play with one person, and talk to another without interrupting your game.

Nor can you talk to original Xboxers, so the "community" Microsoft touts so highly is instantly fractured.

You can talk to them when you're ingame (such as Halo2). The only functionality "broken" is the dashboard... and I've not tested it for myself, it may well work. Perhaps only the private channels don't work, and there's something we're overlooking.

Backwards compatibility isn't very well implemented thus far, either.

It works fine for me. The live integration can't carry over as the system needs to run in emulation... that means that all of the available system resources need to "seem like" the Xbox1. That means no continued chat, or integration with the new dashboard functions.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2005, 11:36:54 PM »

What I find funny is the insinuation that anyone who votes that they "hate the 360" is an automatic troll.  I've heard more than enough accounts of crashing problems and the like to believe that there are people out there that may have gotten the 360 and aren't having a magical unicorn love-fest experience with the thing.

And where's everybody getting 33-4?  I'm showing 33-3.  The only 4 I see is the 4% the 3 votes make up.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2005, 11:41:26 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
And where's everybody getting 33-4?  I'm showing 33-3.  The only 4 I see is the 4% the 3 votes make up.

Sorry, my mistake. I glanced up. 33-3

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2005, 11:59:01 PM »

I agree that it is understandable that someone might not like it too much especially if, as said, theirs doesn't run worth crap, but I do think it would be helpful to hear from them to get another perspective and thus possibly help someone on the fence make a decision.  

I myself definitely want one and hope to be enjoying one some day, but there are no doubt many that are sitting on the sidelines watching and waiting, and probably, hoping all is good so they can feel better about diving in.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2005, 12:21:16 AM »

I love the 360...and I even have one! biggrin

Regardless of how weak or strong the games are, each one has really impressed me in terms of graphics. The one exception being that piece of crap, King Kong, which will be traded in at EBGames shortly. God I frickin' hate that game.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2005, 01:01:43 AM »

I am saving everyone the trouble and invoking Godwin's Law.  Thread over people, move along, nothing to see.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2005, 01:53:52 AM »

When Xbox Arcade was originally announced, it was implied that the disks would be as ubiquitous as AOL's. They were "thinking outside the Xbox" and they would distribute them in new and novel ways. Turns out they were mostly a bonus disk for pre-ordering MechAssault 2 or were sold with a $10 magazine. There is no technological reason, I don't think, they could not have implemented Arcade then as they have done with the 360. Also, if they had, we wouldn't have to repurchase any game we'd already bought. It was a new and novel idea that Microsoft, as is its seeming way, rolled out in a shitty fashion and then fixed in a later version.

It is very cool how you are always connected to Live and can chat while you download, change disks, etc.

We've wondered whether the wired controllers handle chat better. I'm reasonable confident that Microsoft will address the issues. Maybe create a "chatroom game" that can be downloaded.

I'm fine with the BC games I've tried thus far (Halo 2 and Crimson Skies seem perfect to me) and I don't need them to have all the 360 functionality, I just wish there were more titles, especially Live games, done.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2005, 02:02:36 AM »

It is very cool how you are always connected to Live and can chat while you download, change disks, etc.

This brings up an issue that I have- unless I'm missing something, I can't play a game or do anything else in the console while I download which I find very annoying.  It would be nice to start to download a game demo and then play a game while it downloads in the background.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2005, 05:17:04 AM »

I love my 360.  I (so far) love Kameo, Condemned, and Quake 4... having really only sampled each - quick look at Condemned, the tutorial of Kameo, and a few levels of Quake 4.  I just wish I had a Hi Def TV... next TV will have to be one, just don't know when I'll be able to afford it.

The Arcade is a blast, I've already bought one full game (Zuma) and may get others if I turn out to be any good at them (Geometry Wars, Hexic, ie).  I haven't even checked them all out, yet.

I'm glad Oblivion was a launch title, or I may never have pre-ordered in mid-May!  Now I'm glad I did.  And I'm having no over-heating, crashing, or memory loss problems (except my own!) - no doubt because I got the store warranty with it...

And, Starshifter:
Much better than any woman could hope to ever be!

LOL, what about a woman with a 360? Gotcha!  :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2005, 12:03:41 PM »

I'm very pleased so far. I've really enjoyed PGR3. Spent some time with Crimson Skies. Need to get more in with NFSMW (though what I have seen was a lot of fun). Hexic is a big time-sucker.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2005, 12:46:04 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
And, Starshifter:
Much better than any woman could hope to ever be!

LOL, what about a woman with a 360? Gotcha!  :twisted:

Darn.  Got me there Ms. Mytocles!  You are right.  She would definitely be special indeed - and it might just change my thinking.  I haven't talked with you in awhile.  I hope everything is going ok for you and I hope you had a good Thanksgiving.  Take care sweetie! biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2005, 01:13:36 PM »

Yeah, Arcade has been the huge surprise for me with the Xbox 360. I had no idea that these games would be so fun and sharp looking!

I have purchased: Geometry Wars, Mutant Storm Reloaded, Zuma, Bejeweled 2 (for the wife), Smash TV, Gauntlet and Joust.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2005, 07:05:49 PM »

Yeah, Arcade has been the huge surprise for me with the Xbox 360. I had no idea that these games would be so fun and sharp looking!

I already have Smash TV on the SNES and Midway Arcade Treasures 1.  Is it worth it to get it on Xbox Arcade then?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2005, 08:41:56 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"

I already have Smash TV on the SNES and Midway Arcade Treasures 1.  Is it worth it to get it on Xbox Arcade then?

Depends how much you care about co-op play over the internet. I think it's a blast. smile

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: