http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 04:17:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you going to play Guild Wars preview 10/29-10/31?  (Read 2899 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2004, 11:54:28 PM »

I am thinking about getting the client and trying ti out since I missed the boat the first time they had one of these preview events.  Anyone else planning on being on-line this weekend playing?

obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 12:34:20 AM »

Wasn't too impressed with the last event but the game does intrigue me.  Also I had like no time last time.
I'm going to be trying it out.  Also have a pre-order code to try out the rest... though no pre-order.... yes....
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 01:03:24 AM »

A definite NO. I was in a previous event and did'nt like itl. It has graphics but thats all I liked. Its a simple instanced map game with no meat.

I dont even consider it a MMORPG..its more along the lines of BF1942 in my eyes. Same reasons why I dont give a rat's ass about Tabula Rosa either.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 03:40:40 AM »

I pretty much agree with Daehawk. The last one left me flat.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 04:14:36 AM »

Yup, I had a blast. I even went and pre-ordered it.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 05:00:27 PM »

I'll probably give it a try.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Juntei
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 05:35:08 PM »

Yup I'm gonna check it out.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 05:37:05 PM »

Hell no. IT was one of the most...vapid, empty, content-less games I have seen in a long time when I played the first preview. Pretty graphics for sure, but the gameplay was pre-Diablo simplistic.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 06:30:44 PM »

Nope. I had such high hopes for this game early on, but those days are gone. As I tried to explain to their community liason who dismissed my comments about the gameplay entirely because I compared a game in development (GW) to a game that was released (CoH), Guild Wars is like one of those "before" shots in a shampoo commercial: dull, boring, and lifeless.

Such potential, wasted. I was really hoping for a Diablo style of pacing, with lush 3d environments and more tactical options. The game is beautiful, but the pacing was so slow, and my character (leveled up to max [I think] for the E3 event) felt so weak it was just sad. I alos think while the scenery is gorgeous, that the "on a rail" design was poorly thought out. Now I have heard that team vs team combat is fun, so if that's your bag, then you should give it a shot. After all, not much to lose.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 07:04:10 PM »

Might just give it a shot
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 07:39:00 PM »

Certainly.  I think anyone who had any interest in this game at any time is an idiot if they don't at least try out the latest version for a little bit.  Six months is  a long time to implement big changes.  Besides, WoW's open beta won't be out by then so it'll give me something to do.

Who reads these anyway?
Zork
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 07:43:26 PM »

In case you haven't heard yet, they opened up the World Preview Event early.

Here's the link: http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/guildwars/

-Zork
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 09:03:32 PM »

I was hoping for more choices in the character creation portion.  All you do is choose a main class to set your main appearance and then hair, face, and skin color.  Pretty model graphics though.

Oh and I would look for a link here http://www.guildwars.com instead.  No download wait.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 09:45:02 PM »

Ah, what the hell, I'll give it a go, being that it is free.  Sheesh, the dl is extremely slow, I'm getting 2k/s on my cable.  This is gonna take all night to install.

Edit:  Ah, it picked up, getting 200k now.  So far, my only impressions are that the character models look great.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 03:31:33 AM »

That was a total waste of my life playing that mess.  No wonder they are offering it for free (as far as a monthly fee goes).  Utter garbage and boring.

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2004, 05:50:57 AM »

Well, the graphics are nice for the most part. It seems like it has a good idea, but it sort of seems more like a console type MMORPG than a computer one.  Not that this is a bad thing, but it is missing a certain depth.
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2004, 06:05:27 AM »

i played a couple quests tonight...it's a diet mmorpg.  more like diablo with a ton of people than anything else.  looks nice, plays ok, but not what i'd consider groundbreaking or anything.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 10:05:44 PM »

Been playing for little while with a friend ran through one quest. Was prett cool. Send a tell to Abaddon in game lets hook up for some quests.

Abaddon
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2004, 04:11:45 PM »

I played with a group of friends last night and we had a good time.  The game was okay but since we use voice conferencing it adds a lot to be able to taunt someone when they keep dying because they run off from the group and get slammed by a pack of monsters.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2004, 05:10:31 PM »

Well, I've played it a bit more, and I actually think it's pretty fun.  It's missing some depth, but it's still several months away from completion, so a few of things are going to be addressed during the next few months.  Also, we're relatively limited at the moment as well in terms of level, as we can only gain from 15th level to 20th.   At game launch, everyone will start at level 1.  I'm not sure how that will work, or whether the instanced missions will be scalable as the character ges stronger.  Should be interesting to see how they work that.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2004, 11:50:28 PM »

I tried this back in May and was thoroughly unimpressed. It just didn't click with me. Tried again to give it more of a fair shake and I gotta say I'm liking it a whole lot more. Dunno if you could invite henchmen into a group and do a mission "alone" before or not, but it's a cool idea, especially when you're trying to figure out how the game works.

I liked the new tutorial also.

Agree that the character models (the males anyway) are lacking. They all look like sissy Eurotrash (nothing personal, you Eurotrash who are reading the forums).

This one has gone from a "blech" to a "possible" purchase. Yes it seems like "diablo-lite" but you know, I think the gaming world has room for that. smile

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2004, 12:57:17 AM »

people judging the game from mays event are missing a hell of a lot more content. what was to me a decent game before is now very fun and a day one purchase for me. it really has a lot more than what was seen 5 months ago.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2004, 07:23:27 AM »

Played through the beta through to the last mission.  Who ever heard of a stealth mission in an online game?  Baring the oddness it has to be my favorite mission!  Stumbled through it with a group of good friends; it was awesome, and frequently hilarious.  I still think the game play is less stellar but overall the game is good team oriented fun.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2004, 12:37:30 AM »

I really enjoyed it.  I know it didn't have a lot of depth but I think that is what I liked.  I don't want or expect to spend hours and hours leveling up in a on-line game, so something simple and fund was nice.

One thing I don't understand....why can't they copy the huge number of items from Diablo?  How hard is it to figure out that one of the biggest draws of D2 was the hundreds and hundreds of interesting items you could get.  You wanted to keep playing just to see what new object you might get.  90% of the stuff in Guild Wars was boring.  All the staffs looked the same, etc.  How hard is it to have a couple artists make some cool looking stuff?

Hansey
Gaming Trend Reader

Random Lurker

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2004, 12:26:49 AM »

Hubby and I had a good time playing it.  Finished the six missions and did quite a few guild matches (in the end our guild had something like 18 wins and 2 losses).  Some of the most enjoyable parts for me though was exploring the random areas outside of the missions, looking to see what yuo could find.  We found that you could walk out of one mission area and end up in another starting area, even if you hadn't completed the preceding mission yet.  Also in the outer areas, we found Rotscale, and level 28 (I think) Bone Dragon and his horde of undead... here's Rotscale's temple with his Bone Dragon Minions (and skeletal sorcerers, monks and rangers out of sight):

And here's poor old Rotscale after we beat him down:

We took on the rest of his minions shortly thereafter... and then lost a battle against approximately 35 undead at once behind us. :/

Yes, it was a lot of fun, and I'm pretty sure we'll be picking it up on release. smile
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2004, 06:31:41 AM »

Farley,

I agree about the graphics.  However, my only hope is that a lot of the graphics were not complete because it's only beta.  I can't tell you how often I wanted to see a storm artifact look different than a flame artifact which all looked like small shields to me.  In any case, I'm looking forward to the release.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: