http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 01:06:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which catagory do you fall into?
Getting Madden - unsure of which platform - 0 (0%)
Getting Madden - PS3 - 8 (11.9%)
Getting Madden - Xbox 360 - 20 (29.9%)
Getting Madden - Wii - 6 (9%)
Getting Madden - last gen (PS2, Xbox, GCube) - 0 (0%)
Getting Madden - handheld (PSP, DS) - 1 (1.5%)
Getting Madden - PC - 3 (4.5%)
NOT getting Madden - 29 (43.3%)
Total Voters: 65

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you getting Madden 08? If so, which system? A poll.  (Read 13473 times)
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2007, 11:58:13 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 13, 2007, 08:15:45 PM

...I need this game...

And I thought you were not a Madden fan?  Being swept away with the Madden drones?  Oh Pete.  That desert sun is getting to you.  And did you expect anything less for Madden reviews?  icon_wink

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2007, 12:13:16 PM »

Quote from: jblank on August 14, 2007, 04:43:28 AM

Bought it for both consoles (I know, go ahead and rip me) and while I haven't played the 360 version here at the house, I did play the PS3 version a bit and watched some guys play the 360 version at my GS. Honestly, graphically, they are identical, so I don't know what Hillary Goldstein is smoking in docking the graphics on the PS3 version. Yes, you can see that the gameplay is a bit smoother on the 360 (reaad as faster), but is it something that will affect gameplay? I don't think so, and I have both NCAA 08's and the difference isn't noticeable once you start playing.

Wow you are spending $240 on EA football games this year.   icon_eek

I'm curious why you would get both versions of each game.  I have probably played the PS3 version of NCAA as much if not more than the 360 version at my neighbor's house.  To me the game plays considerably smoother on the 360, at least offline.  I haven't played the PS3 version online but I'm guessing the 360 version's advantage goes away due to the general laggyness.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2007, 12:20:41 PM »

Speaking of gamespeed, can someone refresh my memory:

Does Madden have a gamespeed setting (like APF) -  Slow, Normal, Fast

I can't remember.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2007, 12:23:19 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 14, 2007, 12:20:41 PM

I can't remember.

Not sure about 08, but previous versions have not.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2007, 12:26:39 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 14, 2007, 12:23:19 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on August 14, 2007, 12:20:41 PM

I can't remember.

Not sure about 08, but previous versions have not.

I'm screwed.   icon_neutral

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2007, 12:41:42 PM »

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/madden08/review.html

Solid 8.5 review from Gamespot.  The main complaint is the turnovers.  But according to the review it's not as bad as NCAA.  I like the weapon system.  I think it could really help to differentiate players.  I have always felt that except for speed, it was very hard to distinguish between good and bad players in previous versions.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2007, 01:44:33 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 14, 2007, 12:13:16 PM

Quote from: jblank on August 14, 2007, 04:43:28 AM

Bought it for both consoles (I know, go ahead and rip me) and while I haven't played the 360 version here at the house, I did play the PS3 version a bit and watched some guys play the 360 version at my GS. Honestly, graphically, they are identical, so I don't know what Hillary Goldstein is smoking in docking the graphics on the PS3 version. Yes, you can see that the gameplay is a bit smoother on the 360 (reaad as faster), but is it something that will affect gameplay? I don't think so, and I have both NCAA 08's and the difference isn't noticeable once you start playing.

Wow you are spending $240 on EA football games this year.   icon_eek

I'm curious why you would get both versions of each game.  I have probably played the PS3 version of NCAA as much if not more than the 360 version at my neighbor's house.  To me the game plays considerably smoother on the 360, at least offline.  I haven't played the PS3 version online but I'm guessing the 360 version's advantage goes away due to the general laggyness.

I have moved my 360 and the HD DVD add on to our bedroom and it's nice to have football on both consoles.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2007, 01:52:25 PM »

Here's a nice player ratings page.

http://www.sportsgamer.com/games/madden08/roster/position/halfbacks/

At first glance the ratings for most of the players seem pretty accurate IMO. 

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2007, 01:56:54 PM »

According to IGN, the PS3 version has noticable stuttering and frame-rate problems, enough so that it got 1 full point less than the 360 version:

For PS3 owners, this isn't as exciting. Madden 08 runs (sometimes) at 30 frames per second. It makes a huge difference, as you lose a lot of the subtleties in the animations. There are plenty of framerate hitches that will likely frustrate players. This can cause a lag in the Hit Stick sometimes. And, let's face it, no one wants to see a runningback pause for a second in mid air as the framerate stutters. You can still play and mostly enjoy Madden, but beware that on PS3 the game does not run smoothly.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2007, 01:59:07 PM »

Reggie Bush:  98 speed,  100 accelleration, 99 agility, 99 juke move, 99 elusiveness.

Drop The Hammer.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2007, 02:00:26 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on August 14, 2007, 01:56:54 PM

According to IGN, the PS3 version has noticable stuttering and frame-rate problems, enough so that it got 1 full point less than the 360 version:

For PS3 owners, this isn't as exciting. Madden 08 runs (sometimes) at 30 frames per second. It makes a huge difference, as you lose a lot of the subtleties in the animations. There are plenty of framerate hitches that will likely frustrate players. This can cause a lag in the Hit Stick sometimes. And, let's face it, no one wants to see a runningback pause for a second in mid air as the framerate stutters. You can still play and mostly enjoy Madden, but beware that on PS3 the game does not run smoothly.

As I said before, Hilary is smoking something. I saw no framerate "hitches" in the PS3 version last night. Yes, there is a perceptable difference in the fluidity of the game, due to the 60fps 30 fps differences, but as far as gameplay goes, once you start playing, you don't notice it.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2007, 02:13:48 PM »

Quote from: jblank on August 14, 2007, 02:00:26 PM

As I said before, Hilary is smoking something. I saw no framerate "hitches" in the PS3 version last night. Yes, there is a perceptable difference in the fluidity of the game, due to the 60fps 30 fps differences, but as far as gameplay goes, once you start playing, you don't notice it.

If you play safety on defense or manually catch passes with your WRs you definately notice it.  At least I do.  I feel like I get get caught in inescapable animations much more often in the PS3 version.

Just my opinion.  But most reviews have also mentioned it.  So there must be something there.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2007, 02:17:49 PM »

I want some Wii impressions!!!  I'm also very cautious about this turnover issue.   That was a game breaker for me in NCAA08.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2007, 02:42:13 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 14, 2007, 02:13:48 PM

Quote from: jblank on August 14, 2007, 02:00:26 PM

If you play safety on defense or manually catch passes with your WRs you definately notice it.  At least I do.  I feel like I get get caught in inescapable animations much more often in the PS3 version.

Just my opinion.  But most reviews have also mentioned it.  So there must be something there.

Well, maybe you're right, but I did some manual catches last night and I couldn't tell anything, so I don't know what to say. I plan on playing both versions A LOT more tonight, so I should have a better grasp on both games performance differences tomorrow.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »

Any chance the slowdowns could be resolution dependent (i.e. 720p vs. 1080i)?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2007, 02:52:59 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on August 14, 2007, 02:46:00 PM

I believe the PS3 version of NCAA only runs at 720p. Not sure about Madden.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2007, 03:10:45 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on August 14, 2007, 02:46:00 PM

It could be console related.  I've seen Tomb Raider Legend played on my 360 and later on a friend was playing it on his.  On mine the first level was pretty smooth but his kept on stuttering (I had played with a rental copy while his was new) so it does happen occasionally.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2007, 03:11:03 PM »

deno - how about some impressions on the 360 version?

LD

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2007, 03:14:40 PM »

Welcome to the site pogie! smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2007, 03:26:57 PM »

Maybe I should start a separate thread, but I've never quite caught on to how to control your own defenses and how to do manual catches.  Let me see if I can explain what I mean:

Offense:  I generally call my play and if it's a running play, control the back after the hand off, and if it's a passing play, try to throw to the open man and control the receiver after the catch.  How do you do a manual catch?  Do you press the B button to switch players and then the Y button to catch the ball?  How is there time for that?  Is it really only effective for long plays, or to evade defenders?  I would think I'm more likely to screw it up than to help out.  Is it really effective?

Defense:  I generally control a lineman and go for the opposing QB.  My experience has been that if I control my own defensive players, I'm more likely to screw things up than to help out, so I generally let the AI control all my other guys.  I'm guessing that the better players don't do that.  So, what's the deal.  I'm not talking about presnap adjustments, which are a whole different story.  But who do you control?  Do you take a lineman?  Safety?  CB?  Do you pick one and then switch depending on the play?  Do you control the player from the snap, or do you let the AI control him until you see where the play is going, for example, when you see the ball in the air?

I'm not a bad football player.  But I'd like to get to that next level.

Now that I've written this whole thing out, I think I will start a new thread so as not to derail the Madden love, so don't respond to this.  But let's discuss in my new thread!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 03:32:08 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2007, 05:15:20 PM »

Motherfuck.  I have a dinner tonight and a full morning of meetings tomorrow that I can't blow off.  I won't be able to play till tomorrow afternoon at the earliest frown.

gellar
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »

Grabbed the 360 version at midnight last night and got a game and a half in.

I'm pleased.  I loved how difficult it is to pass this year.  I think total, I went like 4/20 (I bumped it up to all-pro which was really difficult) with a few interceptions.  One interception was a very realistic tip and the domain was grabbed by a corner pretty much high-stepping into the end zone.

Running is fun.  The game is more twitchy, which equals more control.  This is something I've constantly had issues with Madden - I never felt like I had control.

So, my initial impressions are it's a very nice game of football.  It isn't a revolution by any means, but it's a commendable evolution.

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2007, 06:04:31 PM »

Oh, and my very first game, I started out on defense and got scored on.  So, my first possession, I run a play-action and roll-out to hit Randy Moss with a huge bomb and Trufant intercepts me biggrin 

It was a tad maddening, but at the same time, re-assuring.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2007, 06:13:14 PM »

Got it but won't be able to play until tonight:

Do you still run up the backs of your O-Linemen or find the hole like you could in Gameday '97?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2007, 06:36:48 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on August 14, 2007, 11:58:13 AM

Quote from: PeteRock on August 13, 2007, 08:15:45 PM

...I need this game...

And I thought you were not a Madden fan?  Being swept away with the Madden drones?  Oh Pete.  That desert sun is getting to you.  And did you expect anything less for Madden reviews?  icon_wink

I'm not a Madden fan, per se, but I am a licensing whore, and so I need my NFL football fix.  Football video games are only fun for me if I can play with real-life NFL teams and players (which is why All Pro Football 2K8 has zero appeal to me).  If the only way I can get it is by playing Madden, so be it.  Even though many consider the series to be an abomination and a consistent let-down, I have managed to get a lot of enjoyment out of the next-gen offerings, and with the reviews mentioning how this is the best NFL game yet, I can't help but get excited.

But I don't expect someone who gains more joy from games that allow you to play as a little girl with pigtails than from bone-crunching testosterone-fuelled NFL mayhem to fully understand.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2007, 06:40:26 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on August 14, 2007, 04:19:29 AM

Picking up my copy tomorrow for the 360 although NCAA is still my favorite football game.  2K8 has been a nice diversion but it just has too much of an arcade feel to it for the long term.

It has been a long time since we've played together.  Just a few minutes ago my wife stopped by my office and without even a single word of it from me offered to pick up a copy while she's out with friends.  And she even knows that I don't even have a working 360 and am still waiting for Microsoft to send me a "new" one.  Now that is true love.

You're mine, bitch.

What keeps the cows in................................DEEEEEEEE-FENSE!   icon_cool

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2007, 07:06:03 PM »

Quote from: Devil on August 14, 2007, 06:13:14 PM

Got it but won't be able to play until tonight:

Do you still run up the backs of your O-Linemen or find the hole like you could in Gameday '97?

Does it really matter?  You'll be dropping back and tossin' it to Reggie Brown or Westbrook all day anyway.  And if they ain't open, screw it, Donovan can still move pretty well.   icon_wink

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2007, 07:22:54 PM »

You're right.

I just wanted to know if ANYONE could run with the same control as a 10 year old game.

(I'll still kick your ass)

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
depward

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2007, 07:25:55 PM »

Got it - three sixty - FRED TAYLOR GONNA RUN OVER YOU ALL BOOM BOOM

*Fred Jones gets injured just thinking about running*

MAURICE JONES-DREW GONNA RUN YOU OVER YEAOWCH

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2007, 08:01:04 PM »

Another PR blow for the PS3.  USA Today praises the 360 version while dumping on the PS3 version.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2007-08-13-madden-nfl-08_N.htm

"PS3 owners, unfortunately, are greeted with a Madden that is sluggish in comparison. Action stutters far too often, particularly on injuries, penalties and turnovers. There's also a half-second delay between pressing the hike button and receiving the ball in your hands. Even close-ups between play look dull when lined up against the 360's sleeker cut scenes."

Perception is reality.  A large mainstream media outlet saying this really undermines Sony's claims that the PS3 is superior to the 360 technology wise. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 08:06:17 PM by denoginizer » Logged

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 14, 2007, 08:16:34 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 14, 2007, 08:01:04 PM

Another PR blow for the PS3.  USA Today praises the 360 version while dumping on the PS3 version.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2007-08-13-madden-nfl-08_N.htm

"PS3 owners, unfortunately, are greeted with a Madden that is sluggish in comparison. Action stutters far too often, particularly on injuries, penalties and turnovers. There's also a half-second delay between pressing the hike button and receiving the ball in your hands. Even close-ups between play look dull when lined up against the 360's sleeker cut scenes."

Perception is reality.  A large mainstream media outlet saying this really undermines Sony's claims that the PS3 is superior to the 360 technology wise. 

Yeah I saw that... that's a PR ass kicking.  MS did well to get that one placed.

gellar
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 14, 2007, 11:10:29 PM »

I was seeing receivers squeeking through tiny holes in the line.

I didn't experience any mario-running and my one rushing TD was actually a run up the middle where Maroney squeezed through a hole and shrugged off a DB.

TheMissingLink on PSN
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2007, 11:59:01 PM »

Ugh... some of the bugs posted in the OpSports forums already piss me off...

2X INT Bug (confirmed for both consoles) - Simmed games INT stats count double for the interceptor.  IE, Dre Bly gets an INT on Peyton Manning.  Bly gets credit on stat sheets for two INTs, though everything else works fine.
Roster Edit Bug (confirmed for 360, probably there on PS3) - Any roster edit on any player makes them have gigantic arms.

WTF, EA?

gellar
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2007, 12:00:31 AM »

Quote from: gellar on August 14, 2007, 11:59:01 PM

Roster Edit Bug (confirmed for 360, probably there on PS3) - Any roster edit on any player makes them have gigantic arms.

icon_lol
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2007, 12:03:07 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on August 15, 2007, 12:00:31 AM

icon_lol

We'll call it the Barry Bonds Bug.

gellar
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2007, 12:15:17 AM »

2X INT Bug (confirmed for both consoles) - Simmed games INT stats count double for the interceptor.  IE, Dre Bly gets an INT on Peyton Manning.  Bly gets credit on stat sheets for two INTs, though everything else works fine.

WTF, EA?

gellar

They will probably patch this.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2007, 12:21:03 AM »

Quote from: gellar on August 15, 2007, 12:03:07 AM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on August 15, 2007, 12:00:31 AM

icon_lol

We'll call it the Barry Bonds Bug.

gellar

icon_lol
You made me spit out my chicken McNugget.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2007, 12:22:05 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on August 15, 2007, 12:15:17 AM

WTF, EA?

gellar

It's EA.  I don't trust them to patch any further than I can throw them.

gellar
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2007, 12:24:53 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on August 15, 2007, 12:15:17 AM

WTF, EA?

gellar

That's almost as funny as the bug itself.  icon_wink
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2007, 06:06:00 AM »

Man, LT just lit me the f up.

45-0.  I got whooped 45-0.  Gonna turn the game down from all-pro to pro, methinks.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: