http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 12:40:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are there any good single player military shooters that aren't 4 hours long?  (Read 1831 times)
Aganazer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »

I feel like I've missed an entire generation of military shooter games. They all seem too focused on competitive multiplayer and have very short single player experiences. I have OpFlash, Arma, and Arma 2, but they are in a category of their own that I am a bit burned out on. I'm not counting Just Cause 2 since its really just a game of shenanigans and silliness. The last few military shooters I played were Boiling Point, Vietcong 2, and Death To Spies, none of which were all that spectacular.

So with all these CoD, MoH, and Battlefield games coming out every few weeks surely one of them has a lengthy single player game (20+ hours).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 07:10:48 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on November 05, 2010, 06:09:48 PM

So with all these CoD, MoH, and Battlefield games coming out every few weeks surely one of them has a lengthy single player game (20+ hours).

I don't think you're going to find a SP military shooter that length outside of the ones you mentioned.  The STALKER games might come close though, but it's been awhile since I played them.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 07:11:27 PM »

Got a console?  GRAW and GRAW 2 (especially) were very good, and I don't remember them feeling short (though I could be wrong).  Never played the PC versions, though I do know they were different and apparently very difficult.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 07:12:30 PM »

I guess they are saying those games are in the neighborhood of 12 hours.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 07:18:57 PM »

You may want to broaden your viewpoint to try stuff like the original Ghost Recon and early Rainbow Six game campaigns. I even think NovaLogic's Delta Force: Blackhawk Down had a lengthy and very intriguing single player campaign but their engine worked better visually for helicopter games imho.

Those are more tactical than shooter I guess, but shooters almost by definition are more action-action-action and the idea is to give you an adrenalized experience for a few hours, not give you a 12-15 hour single player game experience.

If your idea of military shooters begins and ends with stuff more like Medal of Honor: Allied Assault etc., and Call of Duty et al (I love most of the games in both series, but most of the campaigns were a little short), then yeah, you won't find much that will deliver a single player campaign with lots of length or replayability.

That said, I think Call of Duty 2 had one of the lengthier campaigns in total, since you played as three different sides (U.S., British and Russian) and had a different mini-campaign for each. Individually, they probably weren't so long, but if you wanted to complete all 3 campaigns, it took quite a while. I lamented the loss of "save anywhere" but I mostly had a good time with it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 07:21:21 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 07:40:30 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 05, 2010, 07:18:57 PM

That said, I think Call of Duty 2 had one of the lengthier campaigns in total, since you played as three different sides (U.S., British and Russian) and had a different mini-campaign for each. Individually, they probably weren't so long, but if you wanted to complete all 3 campaigns, it took quite a while. I lamented the loss of "save anywhere" but I mostly had a good time with it.

I won Call of Duty 2 in one sitting.

Because I can,
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »

You may want to broaden your viewpoint to try stuff like the original Ghost Recon and early Rainbow Six game campaigns. I even think NovaLogic's Delta Force: Blackhawk Down had a lengthy and very intriguing single player campaign but their engine worked better visually for helicopter games imho.

I played Ghost Recon and a few of the Delta Force games (including Blackhawk Down) back in the day. I guess what I am asking is if there is anything made in the last few years that is more like those. Death to Spies came close, but I was hoping to find some high budget blockbuster that I overlooked. I guess I am out of luck. Man it sucks that games like that have died out. The latest version of OpFlash (Arma 2) is getting quite long in the tooth these days.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 07:46:08 PM »

CoD 4, 5, and 6 are all at least 6 hours long so they would fit your criteria.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 07:54:40 PM »

The Battlefield Bad Company 2 I hear has a pretty long campaign.  Great graphics, but not very realistic.  Fun shooty shooty though, and I've seen it for reasonably cheap lately.

"Goonies never say die"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 08:48:42 PM »

It's a bit long in the tooth now but I thought Hidden and Dangerous 2 was excellent with some great tactical gameplay and a lengthy campaign. 
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 02:29:29 PM »

Sniper Elite may be worth looking into, since its a singleplayer only game, and thus I dont think its only 4 hours long

A new one
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 10:03:30 PM »

I'll second "Battlefield: Bad Company 2". For me, the SP was TONS better than the CoDs and MoHs, because it allowed you a lot more freedom in how you approached your skirmishes (sneak around back behind buildings, etc), whereas the CoDs and MoHs were just God-awful linear (albiet well-done linear if you like rail-shooters).

And yeah, if you're up for older stuff, definitely "Hidden & Dangerous 2" and "Sniper Elite". Excellent gameplay from both of those, and lots of freedom as well. Also, those two were very long games, at least by today's standards.

edit: I see kratz mentioned the GRAWS. I played both on PC, and while I had trouble getting into the first one, I really loved GRAW 2, and it looked good and played well on my old single-core.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 10:05:56 PM by Giles Habibula » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 04:47:27 PM »

I believe the longest military-ish shooter I ever played was Soldier of Fortune II in 2003. Its campaign went on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on...  

See this:
Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix
http://gamefreaks365.com/review.php?artid=538
Even though the single player campaign sucks, there is about 20-30 hours of gameplay here, that is, if you actually feel like completing the story.
I believe it included not one but two "helicopter gunship boss" sequences. It got more notoriety for its over-the-top optional gore.

I'm not saying it was a good campaign, or had great level design. But I remember when I finished it feeling I got my money's worth. Which may or may not qualify for it for inclusion in a thread with "good" in its title.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 06:38:28 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 06:40:26 PM »

SoF 2 rocked.  the first was cool too, at least up until the end when they decided they needed put in some sci fi weapon and make the final boss the beathmatch bot from hell.

avoid SoF Payback.  it was done as a budget title and not even by Raven.

Because I can,
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 12:17:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 05, 2010, 07:40:30 PM

I won Call of Duty 2 in one sitting.

With 41000 post I doubt you ever leave your computer.  One sitting (+ a pair of Depends)could be 20 hours. icon_razz
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:19:54 PM by Ragnarok » Logged
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 07:31:21 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 12, 2010, 04:47:27 PM

I believe the longest military-ish shooter I ever played was Soldier of Fortune II in 2003. Its campaign went on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on...  
Oh good lord yes. It took me two years to finish it!
Obviously, I went months between plays sometimes, but I was amazed at how long it was.
IIRC, wasn't that the one where they doubled or tripled the body parts in the dismemberment engine over SOF1?
edit: just clicked your link and I see it had 16 dismemberment zones, but I don't remember how that compared with SOF1.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 07:34:00 AM by Giles Habibula » Logged
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 07:39:54 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2010, 06:40:26 PM

avoid SoF Payback.  it was done as a budget title and not even by Raven.

I believe Payback started out as a budget shooter with a different name, and the publisher just slapped the SoF franchise name on it.
Taken strictly on its own merits as a pure budget shooter though, it was pretty good actually. Unfortunately, when it was released, it had a decidedly un-budget price of $39.99. Put the price together with the SoF name, and you had a ton of pissed off SoF fans. And rightfully so. But I was one of those who paid that price, and I thought it was an okay game (should have been $19.99 though).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: