http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 10:41:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Sudeki and Yager good bargain games?  (Read 1492 times)
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2005, 03:44:24 PM »

I've read some comments (reader reviews at Gamespot.com and IGN.com) that Yager and Sudeki are both underrated games that were reviewed poorly but were actually great games.....they are both $19.99 or less now and I was wondering if anyone here has any input.

Sudeki....I really like action RPGs with good character development and lots of loot....IGN review: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=404512

Yager....this one was just released in the US late 2004 and seems to have flown under the radar....I like flight games, especially with exploration and a story...(ie...crimson skies... - I've heard yager is coming to PC also,...should I wait for the better graphics)  IGN review: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=425114

I did a search on this forum and there wasn't much talk for either game.  Gamerankings revealed pretty average reviews for both ...any thoughts?
[/url]

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 04:09:13 PM »

I really enjoyed Sudeki, but you have to go into it knowing what to expect.  If you expect it to be the "Final Fantasy for the X-Box" as most people did, then you will be horribly dissapointed.   It's an RPG in the same way Baldurs Gate:  Dark Alliance is an RPG; a ton of action with a couple tweakable character stats thrown in for good measure.  There is little character development, a bare minimum of a story, and a minimally complex battle system.  What it does do well is action-oriented, hack-n-slash combat in beautiful environments.  I had a great time with it, for the 15 or so hours it lasted.

Be warned though, Sudeki has quite possibly one of the worst endings (or lack thereof) that I've ever seen in a game.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 04:11:24 PM »

I would like to know this as well for Sudeki.

I played the demo and loved it.  I've been hesitant to pick it up though because of all the negative feedback in the forums here specifically focusing on the lack of character development.  If I can't care about a character(s) then I usually can't get into a game.

I almost picked it up in my latest used games buying spree, but opted for Otogi 2 instead.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 04:46:07 PM »

I enjoyed sudeki I bought it after it went to around $15.

The action is great and the graphics as well.  I would recommed it.

Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 05:07:57 PM »

Gratch, an action RPG that is more fun and fighting and less reading, puzzles, etc...is right up my alley for sitting on the couch with a controller in my hand.  So, sudeki looks like a purchase for me...COMPUSA has it for $19.99.  

The word is still out on Yager.....also, with the PC version coming out, should I wait?

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 10:12:19 PM »

I'll echo Gratch's comments about Sudeki.  It's a short rpg, but it was fun while it lasted.  The ending is absurdly non-existent, and reminded me of action adventure console games from the 80s:

Final climatic battle followed immediately by...

"The End" {roll to credits}  

It's worth $15 if you like party-based rpgs, with minimal story elements but decent combat.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 11:26:03 PM »

For Yager, I think it's only available in Europe for one. I had it. (Oops, didn't read it was released recently). I was looking for a nice space-shooter type of game, like Rogue Squadron or something...

And well, the action's pretty good, but the universe is really weird and strange, with humour and a protagonist I totally could not believe in. It does have quite a story, and some variety in its missions. Graphics were good. It's just... well, mediocre I guess.

It does not have a lot of competition, but it doesn't have much going for it either in my opinion. Crimson Skies is waaay better by the way. But it's not a bad game, and maybe you'll end up liking it. It does have quite a bit of exploration and a story, the things you're looking for.
osufan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 02:51:03 AM »

Yager is only $9.99 at Best Buy, online and in store.  Based on IGN's review, I may take a crack at it for a ten spot.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 03:44:49 AM »

I saw that also. Let us know what you think of it.

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 04:32:11 AM »

Quote from: "Enigma"
Gratch, an action RPG that is more fun and fighting and less reading, puzzles, etc...is right up my alley for sitting on the couch with a controller in my hand.  So, sudeki looks like a purchase for me...COMPUSA has it for $19.99.  

The word is still out on Yager.....also, with the PC version coming out, should I wait?

I think you'll enjoy it, but let us know.  Unfortunately, Sudeki got a bad rap when it first came out (reviewers and gamers alike) because everyone was expecting this huge, epic RPG and felt somewhat let down when it wasn't.  As long as you go in with reasonable expectations, there's plenty of fun to be had.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 11:56:42 PM »

I got a decent way through Sudeki, and it was a lot of fun. I wanted more out of it as it had so much potential to meet that "Epic" gaming it was touted to be.

As to Yager; if you liked Wing Commander : Prophecy or Crimson skies, this is a definate MUST RENT (or buy for 10US). Regardless of the cheezy dialog (which I've enjoyed sofar) it has a decent dogfight element that reminds me of WC.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 04:41:40 AM »

I was very excited about Yager, but never played it beyond the first couple of missions.  I just wasn't compelled.  It's good for $10, sure, but if you wind up not playing it, what's the point?

Sudeki I really enjoyed (despite wanting to pronounce it Sue-de-KAI when it's really Sue-DEK-ee.  Lame).  The voices are a little annoying (nowhere near as bad as some games, though...I'm looking at you Baten Kaitos), and the story isn't amazing, but I found it compelling enough to keep going.  I got about half way through before being pulled away by other RPGs (Fable was a big one for me), but I do intend to finish it.  The graphics are really very good, I think.  And the combat makes for a nice, relatively mindless diversion.  Certainly worth $20.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: