http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 05:23:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are any of the comic superhero games good (other than Arkham)?  (Read 639 times)
Hrothgar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2012, 05:54:14 PM »

I loved Spiderman 2 back in the day.  The Batman: Arkham titles are great.  I enjoyed the Wolverine Origins title quite a lot for what it was.  I played the Superman Returns game because I liked the idea of the city as your health meter, but the execution of that game left much to be desired.  As some here know, I've loved almost all the Marvel pinball tables even though others are getting burned out on them.  I'll even throw in Darksiders as a comic game I loved though I don't know if they ever made a comic out of it.

So with the new Spiderman game out and some of the sales going on, it made me wonder if any of the titles I skipped were worth playing.  I'm thinking of Captain America, Thor, Ironman I & II, Green Lantern, Hellboy and the two previous Spiderman games.  Though I'm open any titles that might fit the mold.  So are there any hidden gems out there, or any that are just worth playing now that they're in the bargain bin?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 06:01:07 PM »

Hulk Ultimate Destruction was fun.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »

I actually really enjoyed the PS3/360 version of Captain America. It was a shameless ripoff of Arkham Asylum, but to me that was a good thing.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 06:32:37 PM »

I really liked Spiderman: Web of Shadows, even if the frame rate on the 360 did struggle in the last sections of the game.  The city swinging was well done and the combat system blew every previous Spiderman game out of the water.

Then Beenox took over as the primary developer for the Spiderman license.  I quit Shattered Dimensions a few hours in upon discovering that it was designed to be exactly the opposite of anything I would want from a Spiderman game, and incompetently executed besides.  The fact that everyone seems to agree Web of Time is even worse really says something.

Captain America is supposed to be passable, having liberally borrowed from the Arkham Asylum combat system without quite delivering on the full quality or scope of that game, and both Thor and Green Lantern sound like serviceable, if imminently forgettable action romps.

I'd recommend inFamous 2 over most any of the licensed superhero games out there.

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 07:12:50 PM »

I'm still morning the loss of The Indestructibles.

THE INDESTRUCTIBLES is an ambitious project involving superhero combat, in the vein of Hero Software's aborted CHAMPIONS game. INDESTRUCTIBLES players will use points to modify eight attributes, create their own superhero costume with an art utility, look for a worthy super-foe, and engage in real-time comic book-style battles. All of the characters, as well as the game universe, will be true 3-D characters (based on motion capture movement), and the action will be physics-based (modified by super attributes, of course) rather than rules-based. Also, though the original game concept called for the player to become a member of a team of superheroes, THE INDESTRUCTIBLES is intended to be so open-ended that garners can even be supervillains if they so desire.

it was also going to have deformable terrain.  alas, Bullfrog deemed it 'too ambitious' (the company with Peter Molyneux thought a game was 'too ambitious'?) and cancelled.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 07:28:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 26, 2012, 07:12:50 PM

I'm still morning the loss of The Indestructibles.

THE INDESTRUCTIBLES is an ambitious project involving superhero combat, in the vein of Hero Software's aborted CHAMPIONS game. INDESTRUCTIBLES players will use points to modify eight attributes, create their own superhero costume with an art utility, look for a worthy super-foe, and engage in real-time comic book-style battles. All of the characters, as well as the game universe, will be true 3-D characters (based on motion capture movement), and the action will be physics-based (modified by super attributes, of course) rather than rules-based. Also, though the original game concept called for the player to become a member of a team of superheroes, THE INDESTRUCTIBLES is intended to be so open-ended that garners can even be supervillains if they so desire.

it was also going to have deformable terrain.  alas, Bullfrog deemed it 'too ambitious' (the company with Peter Molyneux thought a game was 'too ambitious'?) and cancelled.

You are sure you aren't afternooning it? ;-)

That said - it does sound quite awesome. just like the cancelled Avengers game we saw a glimpse off a few months back. I wish they would just release it out in the wild, but I guess the art assets could be re-used elsewhere.

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 07:33:43 PM »

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 are pretty great games,if you can find them

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 07:40:48 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 26, 2012, 07:33:43 PM

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 are pretty great games,if you can find them

for me X-Men Legends 1 & 2 were better, but alas, they were on the original Xbox, Gamecube and Playstation 2.  you might be able to track down a copy if you have a Wii that still has backward compatibility, a PS2 or an older PS3 with BC.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 08:09:51 PM »

Ultimate Spider-Man was good.  There was a good Punisher game, as well.  I actually enjoyed Batman Brave and the Bold quite a bit.  And the Wolverine game was infinitely better than the movie.

But Hulk takes the prize, IMO.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 08:18:16 PM »

The new Spiderman game is good. Not as good as the Arkham games but definitely worth renting at least.
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 04:38:00 AM »

Not a superhero, but The Darkness is pretty awesome. Prototype has a comic anti-hero flair and was really fun until the end.

If you are feeling frisky, I really recommend Freedom Force on the pc.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 03:18:21 PM »

Crackdown 1 is also a good sandbox game. Super-Agent rather than Super-Hero. Less goodytwoshoes. Much like Infamous / Infamous2.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 04:42:13 PM »

I'm a fan of Hulk Ultimate Destruction and Crackdown as mentioned above.

I guess there's also LEGO Batman 2 that recently came out if you don't mind the cuter atmosphere.

And you can play Champions Online or City of Heroes if you're into MMO's at all.  I think they're both free to play (to some extent), and Champions can be played on PC or PS3.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 06:35:53 PM »

Quote from: siege on June 26, 2012, 08:18:16 PM

The new Spiderman game is good. Not as good as the Arkham games but definitely worth renting at least.

+1

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: