http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 11:37:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apparently a time-bomb comes standard with every 360.  (Read 2938 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2007, 02:20:02 AM »

Without any prior warning, without any previous indication, without any prior cause for concern, this evening I became the proud recipient of the ever-popular TRROD, otherwise known as the Three Red Rings of Death.  And after numerous reboots, now my 360 won't even turn on. 

Even though 360 failures have been rather common, it seems that the frequency of failures has increased a great deal over the past few weeks.  Hell, I've seen a high number of failures just between the GT and OO communities fairly recently.  And now you can add PeteRock to the list of deceased. 

I'm debating whether I should wade through the nightmarish customer service disaster that is Microsoft customer "support" (because I have plenty of spare hours in the day to waste on hold), or simply pull a typical PeteRock and buy a new 360 merely for convenience.  I've had my eye on a new Elite, anyway. 

Either way, even though it's not by choice, it looks like I'll have some time to get back to my PS2 backlog.  It's about time I finished Kingdom Hearts and God of War, anyway.

Now I am seeing first-hand just how much the TRROD really sucks.  And they came completely without warning.  My 360 booted up just fine, and the moment I clicked on my Friends list the screen became scrambled, the sound cut to static, and that was all she wrote.  I think Simba learned a fair number of new and interesting four-letter word combinations this evening. 

And it figures that this happens right when I'm back into Oblivion.  I finally finished the Mage's Guild quest, I was about to start the Fighter's Guild, and then all I'd have left would be the main storyline and then the Dark Brotherhood.  I've been thinking about playing all day.

This really sucks.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 02:23:10 AM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 02:42:56 AM »

Welcome to the club  icon_frown

Suggestion:

Buy the Elite and send the 360 for repair.
When it comes back from MS, you can trade it in without getting hit for a refurbishing fee.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 03:02:25 AM »

I feel your pain, mine just got shipped back last week. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 03:15:18 AM »

Sorry to hear that Pete.  I bet it was Simba constantly playing it when no one was home that did it in  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 04:43:32 AM »

Same EXACT thing happened to my brother a few days ago. Absolutely no warning whatsoever. And it was a launch console he played a ton on (as well as viewed HD-DVD movies on).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 05:05:40 AM »

Yeah when mine a sploded it gave no warning.  You have my sympathies.

gellar
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 05:15:19 AM »

Send it in, buy a PS3 to occupy you while you wait.  Then enjoy both systems.  slywink
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 08:48:51 AM »

Was it one of the first X-Box's to ship? I have one that was made in Nov. 2006, I'm wondering if I can have hope for a better experience with it?

Thanks.

Sorry to hear about yours going South.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 09:18:29 AM »

Arc, my X-box was one of the very first Xbox 360s.  My Dad just walked into a store at the height of the 360 rush and picked one up off the shelf since he wanted one.

It's worked fine ever since, however, it hasn't gotten too much use.  I've only had two really long gaming sessions, otherwise maybe 2-10 (average 3) hours a week with maybe double that with DVD watching time.

So, obviously not all boxes turn out like this.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 10:50:41 AM »

sorry to hear the news

when the disc tray on my 360 wouldnt close i had to send it off,first the customer service was better than i thought it would be(although i am in England....but we do tend to have crap customer service on average)...and a UPS truck came i think the next day and the woman said it would be 7-10 days(not sure if it was working days she said)...i got my 360 back within the week...although,my problem wasnt the 3 rings of death....but i was quite happy with the service,true it shouldnt of broke on me like that,after 8 months buying the console...but i was expecting my pain to be worse

that was last August,i am hoping that they may of improved the service some more by now

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 11:52:31 AM »

Welcome to the club my friend.  I'm on my THIRD X360 unit.  My suggestion is to get that repaired at MS since it's free.  Hold off on the Elite until this fall when MS is suppose to be shipping new 360 units with smaller chips and better heat management.  That's what I'm doing.  I will be picking up an Elite this fall.  In addition, you will still need your X360 unit to transfer all your stuff over to the Elite hard drive.  Get back to those PS2 games for now.  I know you have been itching to finish Cookie 'n Cream!   icon_lol icon_wink

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 01:02:09 PM »

I am on my 3rd box also.. I don't have the patients to wait for Microsoft or anyone so I just keep getting the Gamestop warranty and swapping my box out when it dies. And yes that no warning thing really sucks, you are all hyped up to play your game and boom system flatline.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 01:51:41 PM »

Quote from: juniordan on July 25, 2007, 01:02:09 PM

I am on my 3rd box also.. I don't have the patients to wait for Microsoft or anyone so I just keep getting the Gamestop warranty and swapping my box out when it dies. And yes that no warning thing really sucks, you are all hyped up to play your game and boom system flatline.

Also on #3. My original one made it from Nov '05 to June '06 then poof, just like yours.
#2 was a refurb from MS that died within a week.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 02:14:43 PM »

I cross my fingers every time I boot mine up.

Although I did buy them at Costco so I'm not too worried.  slywink

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 02:22:32 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 25, 2007, 09:18:29 AM

Arc, my X-box was one of the very first Xbox 360s.  My Dad just walked into a store at the height of the 360 rush and picked one up off the shelf since he wanted one.

It's worked fine ever since, however, it hasn't gotten too much use.  I've only had two really long gaming sessions, otherwise maybe 2-10 (average 3) hours a week with maybe double that with DVD watching time.

So, obviously not all boxes turn out like this.

you did knock on wood after posting that, right?  don't tempt fate man!  icon_wink

Because I can,
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 03:00:25 PM »

I'll probably be buying a 360 in the next few months so that I can play Rock Band when it comes out.   We don't currently have a Costco in Omaha but there is one being built.  Hopefully it'll be open by the time I'm ready to finally pick up a 360.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 03:22:07 PM »

I'm on #4 - this refurb has lasted longer than the others (3 months) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  One of the really strange things about the 360's is the variance in noise levels.  My first and second sounded like jet aircraft, the third was very quiet (and died quick).  The one I have now is in between somewhere - not as noisy as the first couple but not quiet either.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 03:27:01 PM »

I may finally get back to firing mine up this weekend after a month of non-use.  I'm thinking of getting some bomb squad protective gear just in case.....

Because I can,
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 04:01:10 PM »

Sorry to hear about your pain.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 02:46:27 AM »

Mine also gave up the ghost suddenly.  Worked fine up until the day it died, and it died 100% that day.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 03:07:39 AM »

Quote from: Interloper on July 26, 2007, 02:46:27 AM

Mine also gave up the ghost suddenly.  Worked fine up until the day it died, and it died 100% that day.

Sheesh.  That's, what, half a dozen from GT'ers in the last 2 weeks alone?

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 04:15:35 PM »

I just got an email this morning letting me know that my 360 has shipped.  I can't wait to play Madden '08, but lately I've been getting caught up in the buzz surrounding Bioshock.  I had zero interest in it, but with a review average of F-ing 99% on gamerankings.com and the positive praise the demo is receiving around here, I just can't wait to see what all of the fuss is about.

Once in a rare while does a game of this caliber come around, and I just don't think I can resist the OO and GT forum effects.  I'm going to download the demo immediately when my 360 returns to see if it is a must-have title.  Lately I've been so desperate for NFL football that I've been playing my copy of Madden '06 on my original Xbox.  Man I can't wait to play '08.  I AM READY FOR SOME FOOTBAAAAAAALL!

At least before I knew my 360 shipped I resigned myself to simply not having one for a while, but now that I know it's coming I think I'm going to go crazy with anticipation.  HAUL ASS UPS!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 04:16:39 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 17, 2007, 04:15:35 PM

I just got an email this morning letting me know that my 360 has shipped.  I can't wait to play Madden '08, but lately I've been getting caught up in the buzz surrounding Bioshock.  I had zero interest in it, but with a review average of F-ing 99% on gamerankings.com and the positive praise the demo is receiving around here, I just can't wait to see what all of the fuss is about.

you know you want it to run your perfectly manicured fingertips over.

Because I can,
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 05:14:26 PM »

You'd best pray to the gaming gods that you don't get Eduardoed.

gellar
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 06:51:59 PM »

They recently sent me back a replacement unit with a manufacture date 6 months older than the one I sent in to get fixed.    Hope you have better luck.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2007, 09:47:16 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 17, 2007, 06:51:59 PM

They recently sent me back a replacement unit with a manufacture date 6 months older than the one I sent in to get fixed.    Hope you have better luck.

Does the serial number have any significance in terms of manufacture date (i.e. the higher the number the later the manufacture date)?  For example, I had a launch unit with a serial number starting with "4034--------" and the unit they're sending back has a serial number starting with "9015--------".  Here's to hoping that I get a newer unit.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2007, 09:55:10 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 17, 2007, 09:47:16 PM

Does the serial number have any significance in terms of manufacture date (i.e. the higher the number the later the manufacture date)?  For example, I had a launch unit with a serial number starting with "4034--------" and the unit they're sending back has a serial number starting with "9015--------".  Here's to hoping that I get a newer unit.

I don't think so.   My original unit's number started with a 1, and the new (older) one starts with a 9.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2007, 09:57:54 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 17, 2007, 09:55:10 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on August 17, 2007, 09:47:16 PM

I don't think so.   My original unit's number started with a 1, and the new (older) one starts with a 9.

Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2007, 10:01:56 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 17, 2007, 05:14:26 PM

gellar
Thanks for reminding me. I haven't done this in a while:

Those lousy motherfucking ass shit fucks! Kameo? That's it? Microsoft should be locked in a cell, Padilla style, and convinced to work for Sony, Padilla style, against their own best interest.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2007, 10:48:18 PM »

If I personally apologize, would that help?  frown
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2007, 10:50:42 PM »

FINALLY!

"Your package is on time with a scheduled delivery date of 08/22/2007."

All day the UPS website has said "Billing Information Received."  At least now I have an idea as to when my 360 will show up.  Wednesday won't get here soon enough.  But I'll have my 360 back just in time to play Bioshock.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2007, 11:35:54 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on August 17, 2007, 10:01:56 PM

gellar

Those lousy motherfucking ass shit fucks! Kameo? That's it? Microsoft should be locked in a cell, Padilla style, and convinced to work for Sony, Padilla style, against their own best interest.

That reminds me I should call and give them some outrage for sending back such an old unit.  Probably won't make a difference, but maybe I can get a free game out of it.  slywink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2007, 12:55:21 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 17, 2007, 11:35:54 PM

Quote from: Eduardo X on August 17, 2007, 10:01:56 PM

gellar

That reminds me I should call and give them some outrage for sending back such an old unit.  Probably won't make a difference, but maybe I can get a free game out of it.  slywink

There's probably a ton of copies of Vampire Rain just sitting around....

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2007, 01:22:18 AM »

Hey, maybe I could pick up Bullet Witch! 

/ducks

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2007, 05:23:38 PM »

Well, I finally got my new 360 back, and in all honesty, I think I'm happy things happened the way they did. I've been out of town for work over the past month, so I wouldn't have had time to play, anyway. And, the 360 I received yesterday was one of the new models with the HDMI connection and a manufacture date of "2007-08-06". Here's to hoping that the HDMI port and recent manufacture date are indicators of some of the failure problems being addressed.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2007, 06:29:43 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 23, 2007, 05:23:38 PM

Well, I finally got my new 360 back, and in all honesty, I think I'm happy things happened the way they did. I've been out of town for work over the past month, so I wouldn't have had time to play, anyway. And, the 360 I received yesterday was one of the new models with the HDMI connection and a manufacture date of "2007-08-06". Here's to hoping that the HDMI port and recent manufacture date are indicators of some of the failure problems being addressed.

Glad that turned out well for ya Pete.

However, hearing this just makes me even more pissed that I got stuck with an older replacement unit.  And that was, what, 2 weeks before Pete gets a brand spanking new one?  Fucking MS...   icon_evil   icon_evil

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2007, 01:04:49 AM »

I just got my empty box from UPS today and sent my 360 out.  Here's to hoping that I get one of the new model back, too! 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2007, 01:08:24 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 23, 2007, 06:29:43 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on August 23, 2007, 05:23:38 PM

Glad that turned out well for ya Pete.

However, hearing this just makes me even more pissed that I got stuck with an older replacement unit.  And that was, what, 2 weeks before Pete gets a brand spanking new one?  Fucking MS...   icon_evil   icon_evil

told you that you should have sent them a pic of yourself in with your 360 like Pete was planning to.  They like the pretty boys.

Because I can,
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2007, 01:20:37 AM »

Reminds me it is about time to go visit best buy again and see if they have the newer systems in yet.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2012, 07:21:08 PM »

Well, it has been a good run.

My last RROD was back in July of 2007 and I got a replacement Xbox in August of the same year.  That Xbox has lasted almost exactly five years, but today unfortunately marks its inevitable demise (three weeks shy of its 5-year anniversary).  A few days ago Force Unleashed II froze and the screen scrambled, so I turned it off and moved on to other things.  Out of curiosity I turned my Xbox back on this morning and my suspicions were unfortunately validated.  The three RROD lit up as anticipated.

As I've gotten my money's worth and then some with five long years of uninterrupted gaming (which was technically even longer as my replacement was still under warranty back in 2007), rather than opt to have my Xbox repaired for a fee, I think I am going to purchase a new 250GB model which should easily take me into the next generation of consoles.

It is just unfortunate that my current console died as I manage expenses associated with beginning a new semester (new laptop, new TV for my grad apartment, academic supplies, housing supplies, etc).  Hopefully as it is a sanity-maintaining necessity, I can successfully justify the cost to my wife. 

Wish me luck.   ninja

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: