http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 08:28:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: apollo justice: aa impressions...  (Read 1119 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2008, 03:49:07 PM »

roared thru the first case last night. recognized the defendant almost immediately (man, has he gone thru some changes smile ), & thought apollo handled himself pretty well. they introduce the 'tell' ability, which lets apollo notice gestures people make when they're hiding something - not sure if that's gonna replace the psyche-lock bit or be there in addition to it...

i think part of my addiction to these games (other than the fact that they make me laugh) is that they come as close to watching a tv series as someone who doesn't watch tv can get. the comfortable, familiar format, the running gags, the huge recurring cast of major & minor characters - it's like a television show you play (maybe if the real ones were like that, i'd watch them too?)...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 01:41:20 PM by semiconscious » Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 01:14:26 AM »

yikes! - can you feel the excitement up here for this game smile ...

finished the third case, &'m having a helluva good time. unlike the first one, these cases are long, & as complex as any of pw's. things i'm liking:

1) trucy. she's every bit as cool, funny & unique a sidekick as maya, & goes a long way in making apollo an acceptable new lead. also (hope i'm not spoiling anything here), gumshoe's replacement turns out to be an amazingly inspired choice, as well...

2) apollo's ability to detect tells is handled really well (ie, not over-done). the psyche-lock stuff appears to be gone, but this new bit is a very good (& tricky) replacement...

3) this the first 'built for ds' ace attorney, & the third case in particular involves some pretty clever uses of the touchscreen...

free-standing as it is, i'm really glad i've played the other games - while not over-loaded with references to the previous entries, there's enough going on here'n'there where having some background lets you enjoy things even more...

i'll only add that, impressed as i was with professor layton, it only took about a half-hour of this game to just about make me forget i'd ever played it smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 01:45:27 AM »

semi!  I AM excited to read your impressions but the thing is - I just stalled on the second Phoenix.  Dunno why... except I didn't like the music as much as I liked the first and the cases weren't as exciting.  But, due to your nice impressions, if I do come back or feel like something different than good ole' Phoenix, I'll give this one a try   icon_biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 03:49:07 AM »

I finally picked up the 3rd one, so once I finish it, I will pick up Apollo Justice.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 02:13:29 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 25, 2008, 03:49:07 AM

I finally picked up the 3rd one, so once I finish it, I will pick up Apollo Justice.

the last case of pw3 is just great, & really does bring things to an end almost perfectly...

i've decided that maybe the best job in the gaming industry is doing the localizations for ace attorney games (particularly for the judge, & yes, he does return in aj). whoever's doing them is obviously having a heckuva good time smile ...

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 02:38:32 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on February 25, 2008, 01:14:26 AM

I know I'll be getting it eventually, but I kind of burned myself out on the series when I tried to finish the first three all in a row.  I think these games are much better played spaced out.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 25, 2008, 02:38:32 PM

I know I'll be getting it eventually, but I kind of burned myself out on the series when I tried to finish the first three all in a row.  I think these games are much better played spaced out.

I agree.  I enjoy them immensely, but by the end of one, I am ready to play other things for a while.  It's why I am just now getting to the 3rd one.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 03:23:39 PM »

I got into the fourth case in the first one, and never finished it.  Picked up the second, but didn't start because of not finishing the first.  Never got the third because of the non-start on the second.  Can't make myself buy Ace Apollo because of the above.  At some point, I want to work through the PW series, and then I'll get AA.  I hate having a backlog.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 04:06:55 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 25, 2008, 02:47:00 PM

I agree.  I enjoy them immensely, but by the end of one, I am ready to play other things for a while.  It's why I am just now getting to the 3rd one.

agreed...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 04:25:29 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on February 25, 2008, 04:06:55 PM

Quote from: The Grue on February 25, 2008, 02:47:00 PM

agreed...

Yeah, I'm still in the second game.  These are huge time sucks.  They're good, but finishing just one case can feel like a marathon.  Especially on a handheld, which still feels designed for quick sessions to me (though I don't think the read-a-plenty gameplay would work well on a console).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 09:41:06 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 25, 2008, 03:23:39 PM

I got into the fourth case in the first one, and never finished it.  Picked up the second, but didn't start because of not finishing the first.  Never got the third because of the non-start on the second.  Can't make myself buy Ace Apollo because of the above.  At some point, I want to work through the PW series, and then I'll get AA.  I hate having a backlog.

Dammit, you're me aren't you? ADMIT IT.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 11:28:19 PM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on February 26, 2008, 09:41:06 PM

Quote from: Chaz on February 25, 2008, 03:23:39 PM

Dammit, you're me aren't you? ADMIT IT.

I was here first.  Are you sure you're not me?   icon_eek

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 10:15:07 AM »

So, I finally finished Apollo Justice yesterday. As always with these games, it took a lot of time and was very enjoyable. There were both good and bad changes from the earlier games:

- Both the graphics and sound have received considerable upgrades. You might not notice right away if it's been a while since you played any of the PW games, but by the end, you'll be quite aware of the difference. It's a welcome touch after the GBA-quality we've become used to. There's more animation for each character too, sometimes quite elaborate ones.

- I don't remember the PW doing this, but AJ is full of flashbacks. Especially case 3 is notorious for this, where you'll be seeing lengthy flashbacks to scenes you've already seen earlier in the case at least every 5 minutes (usually more often than that). It topped itself when, at one point, it showed a flashback to a scene from *less than a minute* earlier. By the time case 3 was finished, I had seen some of the scenes and dialogue about 20-30 times each, with no way to skip them. I was ready to chuck my DS at the wall each time these flashbacks occured.

- The difficulty is slightly lower than what I'm used to. This makes the game less frustrating, but also means you won't encounter many real mindbenders (until the last case, at least). This ties into my next point:

- They removed the ability to present people as evidence unless you're specifically asked to do so. This is a good thing, in my opinion. The two previous games suffered during the adventure sequences because they required you to present specific people to the right person, and there was no way to proceed until you figured out just which combination would work. This doesn't happen any more, so it's very hard to get stuck now.

- Apollo Justice replaces the psyche-lock system with a Perceive system. This doesn't mean they are similar, because they aren't. Perceiving is a nice addition, though it's always crystal clear when you're supposed to use it since its icon lights up. During those witness testimonies where the icon is active, you can press it at any time to zoom in on the person talking while he slowly says each line in his dialogue. When he lies or says something that is stressful for him, he'll have some kind of "twitch" that you may notice. It can be really obvious (like someone touching the back of their neck), or it can be really subtle. Some of the later uses of this are very satisfying, but the system isn't used enough.

- There are only 4 cases this time, compared to the earlier games' 5. The fourth case is satisfyingly epic though, which makes up for this. Also, the first case is a bit more involved that the usual PW introductory case.

All in all, this is a good addition to the series, even if case 3 now competes with the circus case in one of the earlier games for being the least fun case I've played so far (because of the flashbacks. Yes, they really are that bad). I'm looking forward to the next game, and I hope they take the time to explore the fates of the characters from the previous games who didn't appear in this one.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 03:51:44 PM »

finished as well. didn't really have a problem with the flashback part (maybe i just liked the video?), & thought the 4th case was awesome, as well, if a little even-more-bizarre than usual smile ...

also glad they ditched the 'people as evidence' part (which definitely used to mess me up in the previous games), but it does indeed, along with everything else, end up making this the easiest of the ace detective games (either that, or i'm just learning to think like the writers do)...

very satisfied with the ending, & with the new cast, & looking forward to more...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: