http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 12:52:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anything new on Team Fortress 2?  (Read 1235 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2005, 02:12:21 AM »

Seeing the other duke nukem forever post got me wondering about maybe the longest delayed game ever, Team Fortress 2. A lot of people think Team Fortress 2 was originally planned as an expansion to the original Half-Life, however the truth is, it was planned as an expansion pack to Quake *II*! Way back in the days. ID Software had some kind of disagreement where they woudn't let John Cook & Robin Walker release TF as a "pay for" expansion pack to it. So that's when they turned to Valve and Half-Life.
Even way back then I remember them saying bots would play all available classes, including team commanders and squad leaders. This was years ago and now just about everything TF2 was supposed to deliver, has already been done. Games with vehicles? Done. Different classes? Done. Bots that play all the classes and even squad leaders? Done.

It's hard to believe how all these years have gone by and nothing new about TF2.
What's the deal with that game? Have they given up on it and just failed to tell their clueless fans about it? Or is it still planned for release sometime in our lifetime?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 06:11:40 AM »

Chances are that it has been quietly cancelled with the hopes that the fans would have forgotten about it. They keep claiming that it is still being worked on, but have shown no proof of it at all.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 07:16:21 AM »

No proof?! Have you forgotten about THIS picture?  :wink:

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 07:33:20 AM »

I still have the CGW mag that talked about TF2 as an expansion for HL. To show how old it is the article was a 3-way preview roundup of TF2, Quake 3 and UT.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 09:38:29 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
No proof?! Have you forgotten about THIS picture?  :wink:

I hope not. I still have some of the old media movies of it on a hard drive somewhere. That clip, the ammo loading for mounted gun, the lipsynching where guys are parachuting down in the background, and other stuff. I would have been elated if it was looking like that and released at that time. We would probably be on Team Fortress '05 by now.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 01:04:06 AM »

This would be a Day One purchase for me IF they ever did it, heck I'd settle for TF: Source! Instead we got CS:Source and DoD Source.  :roll:
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 02:37:20 AM »

Um, guys, this is Valve here.  Same company that kept it's work for HL2 under wraps for five years.

They could easily keep TF2 under wraps for a while, then suddenly release a flurry of new information.
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 02:56:20 AM »

Say what you will about id, but at least their games end up getting eventually released!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 03:20:15 AM »

So I guess Half-Life 2's release just went right over everyone's head?
Queequeg
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 08:08:49 AM »

This may be as close as we get to TF2. It looks great and should make it out in 2006.
chump24
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 09:27:44 AM »

I really loved playing TF. I still have hope, but its dwindling every day.  frown
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 03:51:21 PM »

Quote from: "Queequeg"
This may be as close as we get to TF2. It looks great and should make it out in 2006.

Neato!

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 06:40:04 PM »

Quote from: "Queequeg"

Hmm, I'll have to keep my eyes on this one.  I loved half life team fortress.   Matter of fact, it's my favorite online multiplayer fps ever.

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 07:35:26 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
So I guess Half-Life 2's release just went right over everyone's head?
Not at all. They just promised the fans that they would release information about TF2 real soon after it's release. Yes I know 'soon' and Valve do not go together but something in a year I would hope would not be too much...

unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 02:16:21 AM »

When I saw "fortress forever", I was thinking it was a TF2 mod for Duke Nukem Forever.

Merging those two projects seems to make a certain amount of sense right now.  If they release it as a Phantom-only game, that would be a totally killer trifecta!

[edit] I know it isnt cutting edge, but the ultimate free multiplayer game, Enemy Territory, also has a version of TF called Enemy Territory Fortress.  It's... ok right now.  I still prefer TFC over it, however.  ETF's levels seem TOO big, some of the classic levels make me feel like a little child running around the levels; everything is way oversized.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 03:24:09 AM »

I agree about ET:TF. The size threw me off when I tried it as well. TFC kicks mucho ass. Too bad it's not as popular anymore.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: