http://gamingtrend.com
November 21, 2014, 06:14:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone willing to sum up the past 2 Halo's?  (Read 3706 times)
JuniorDan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2007, 05:23:37 PM »

I am getting the 3rd installment, after having the first 2 but never completing any of them I am at a total lost on what is going on. 

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 05:31:27 PM »

I asked the same and got a link to http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 05:39:45 PM »

Guy.
He runs around.
Shoots things.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:41:30 PM »

More like:

Guy.
He runs around.
Shoots thi...
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 06:12:27 PM »

I'm just curious: if you didn't enjoy the previous two games well enough to complete them, why would you want to buy the third?

-Autistic Angel
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 06:15:31 PM »

More like:

Guy.
He runs around.
Shoots thi...

HOLY CATS!! IS THAT THE GIANT PLANT FROM LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS???
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 06:18:08 PM »

Check out this link at Kotaku, it's a leak of some of the Halo 3 manual.  There's a couple pages of "The story so far..."

http://kotaku.com/photogallery/halo3manual/

Specifically, here's the actual pages:

http://kotaku.com/photogallery/halo3manual/2408781
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 06:18:55 PM »

Spoiler for HALO - Combat Evolved:

Humans on a huge ship (called the Pillar of Autumn) are being attacked by covenant forces.
They hit the randomizer / lightspeed button, and arrive at a gas giant with a HALO ring orbiting it. They are curious but the covenant forces arrive and they mount an attack on the Pillar of Autumn.

Captain Keyes calls for the Spartan that's currently in cryo-sleep to be revived. (That would be Master Chief). You talk to the captain, and he tasks you with keeping the most important item on the ship from the Covenant; Cortana (the ships sentient AI / DB of all human knowledge). She downloads herself into your suit. You then fight off Covenant forces, but eventually have to bail in a life pod, and Captain Keyes sets the ship on a crash course for the Halo ringworld.

Your life pod, like the others, has been set to rally to the closest object; the HALO ring world. Upon landing there, (as the sole survivor in your pod) you make your way towards other life pods and rescue those troops. Cortana hacks the Covenant communications channels, and you head off to find out what this HALO is for as the Covenant speak of it as a holy place / weapon.

In finding the function of Halo (you now know that it's a weapon), you basically find the Flood, which is a parasite that looks like a small head-crab that feeds on flesh and can reanimate corpses. The flood-infected cadavers "seems to be" a mindless zombie-like race, and the Covenant inadvertently released them. Now most humans and Covenant forces have been infected by the Flood.

Guilty Spark 343, the Monitor for this HALO world, then takes you through the Library to get the trigger to destroy the Flood. He controls the Sentinel forces (flying turrets), and has you go through the worst level in the game; the Library. (this is the one level I don't like playing because it is so repetitive). Once you obtain the trigger key, you head back and initiate the HALO weapon.

What he didn't tell you the only way to destroy them is to wipe out any life forms large enough to host them, which basically means destroying the galaxy. HALO is #4 of 7 ringworlds, and if one goes off it triggers the others. Once THAT is revealed, your new quest is to obtain the keys to detonate the Pillar of Autumn in hopes that it can stop HALO.

Once you accomplish this, you fly away from the broken pieces of HALO. All alone, in the cold vacuum of space.

Spoiler for HALO 2:
Ripped from the link above:

The game begins shortly after the events of Halo: Combat Evolved. Before the game begins, we catch a small glimpse of the Covenant via a cutscene. For the first time, we learn a little bit about the society of the Covenant. A constrained and armorless Supreme Commander is being branded with the Mark of Shame. It is revealed that he is the former Supreme Commander of a Covenant fleet that destroyed Reach, as well as the one who failed to save Alpha Halo.

John-117 begins on Cairo Station, one of the three hundred space defense platforms orbiting Earth. Shortly after the Covenant arrive, a bomb is set on the station. After a while, Master Chief finds the bomb and uses it to destroy a Covenant assault-carrier. He and the Marines then set out to the city of New Mombasaas a sole surviving Covenant ship landed on Earth . While in the city, Master Chief destroys a Scarab. After the Scarab is destroyed, the Covenant ship makes a Slipspace jump which destroys the city, and the UNSC ship, In Amber Clad, with the Master Chief aboard, gets swept up in the warp field in a desperate attempt to follow it.

The Arbiter
The Elite branded in the opening cutscene was supposed to be executed, however, rather than have him slain outright, the Prophets of Truth and Mercy made the decision to give him a chance to regain his lost honor and serve the Covenant again.

The Prophet's offered him the role of Arbiter, the highest honor for an Elite during a time of need. As Arbiter, he must conduct missions for the prophets that are hopeless and suicidal and die as a martyr for his race. This is part of the Great Journey, which is a religious series of events that the Covenant heavily believe in, to complete their "Great Journey", the Covenant must activate a Halo installation.

As his first mission as Arbiter, the Elite must eradicate a group of Heretics who have separated themselves from Covenant society. They reside in a gas facility near the destroyed Alpha Halo. The Arbiter was to die during this mission, but he narrowly escaped death and defeated the heretic leader. This is the first time we witness conflict within the Covenant society as the heretics constantly tell the Arbiter he is a fool for believing in their Great Journey and the lie of the Prophets.

Discovery of Installation 05
During this time, Master Chief, aboard the ship UNSC In Amber Clad, is transported to the vicinity of another Halo ring - the Delta Halo - perhaps many tens of thousands of light years from Earth, on which they land. This time, Cortana and Master Chief are well aware of the dangers of Halo. They quickly begin to search for a way to disable it before the Covenant are able to reach it. Master Chief discovers the existence of the Prophet of Regret, and must infiltrate his temple and kill him. Rather than aiding, the Prophet of Truth calls back the Phantoms and destroys the temple with an Energy Projector. Narrowly escaping, Master Chief is then captured by Gravemind.

Master Chief battles Regret.
The Index and Gravemind
The Arbiter remains alive and is sent by the Prophets to Delta Halo. The Arbiter is sent to lower the contamination shields surrounding the Library so the Covenant ships may approach. It is revealed to the Covenant that the Flood have been released, however, the Covenant still press forward. After completing his mission and retrieving the Index, Brute Chieftain Tartarus takes the Index from The Arbiter. The Arbiter objects, saying the Prophets will not stand for his actions, to which Tartarus laughs, informing him that the Prophets sent him to kill Arbiter. Tartarus then throws the Arbiter into the seemingly bottomless core of the Library.

In the next cutscene, the Arbiter is caught in a green vine-looking object. He is next to Master Chief who has just regained consciousness. A giant being known as Gravemind, a form of the Flood, holds the two. He comments on the differences between Humans and Elites and informs the Arbiter of the Prophets replacing Elites with Brutes as they don't feel Elites can protect them any longer. He tells of their killings and then reveals that he has reanimated the corpse of the Prophet of Regret as part of himself. He also has with him 2401 Penitent Tangent, the monitor for Delta Halo. 2401 and Regret argue about the truth behind The Great Journey, Regret saying it will bring salvation while 2401 disagrees with the Covenant's responsibility in handling Halo and the Flood. Gravemind comments that the Covenant will not find the salvation they are looking for. He then transports both Master Chief and The Arbiter to places they will likely find the Prophet of Truth who has the Index, which Gravemind wants back. It is now that the Arbiter realizes the Elites have been betrayed, and finds it hard to believe.

High Charity
Master Chief is transported to High Charity where he inputs Cortana into the Covenant network, separating himself from her. She discovers that the Covenant are in the middle of a civil war with the Prophets executing a genocide against Elites, feeling the Elites can not protect the Prophets. Brutes are put in their place and sent to wipe out the remaining Elites. As Master Chief travels through the holy planetoid, he encounters much conflict between Covenant, allowing for less resistence against himself, making it easier for him and Cortana to infiltrate the area. Their success leads to Prophets to promote this as a failing of the Elites rather than acknowledging their forces are scattered and unorganized.

When Master Chief reaches the other prophets (Truth and Mercy), he sees Sergeant Johnson and Miranda Keyes get captured and the Flood starts to attack. In the attack the Prophet of Mercy dies. After Master Chief gets close to the Forerunner ship, he tries to grab Cortana but can't because she does not want to risk a remote detonation of In Amber Clad so she stays on and becomes seperated from the Master Chief and is left within a computer on High Charity.

The Great Schism
The Arbiter is transported to a forest and finally realizes the truth in Gravemind's words after being attacked by a group of Brutes, who were once his allies. He rallies Elites and makes his way to the entrance of the structure. Once making his way through the cavern, he reunites with Rtas 'Vadumee, an Elite Commander. They combine forces with Sergeant Johnson and help get the Scarab to the middle structure to make an entrance for the Arbiter to get to Tartarus. He then makes his way to the center of the structure to stop Tartarus from activating the ring.

The Halos, we learn from 343 Guilty Spark, were built to prevent the Flood from spreading throughout the Galaxy, and that the Forerunners who built it were wiped out when they fired it as a "weapon of last resort" at some point in the remote past. In spite of this, the [Brute leader Tartarus forces Miranda to activate the ring in preparation to fire, to bring about - in his eyes - the Great Journey. The player must fight Tartarus(and on higher levels other brutes) to retrieve the Index and stop the activation of Installation 05.

The Index is retrieved and the Installation cannot fire. 343 Guilty Spark reveals that although the Index was removed before Delta Halo had time to complete it's firing sequence, it sent signals to other Installations in the Galaxy, putting them on standby mode. Now, they can be activated remotely from the Ark (assumed to be either on Earth or the Forerunner Ship itself).

After that scene the camera moves to a picture of Master Chief apparently aboard the Forerunner ship. When asked why he is on the ship all he says is, "Sir, finishing this fight."

After the credits roll, a teaser for Halo 3 shows where the Flood has completely taken over High Charity with the Gravemind saying "Silence fills the empty grave now that I am gone, but my mind is not at rest, for questions linger on." The scene then changes to a stand in the council chambers of the Hierarchs the Gravemind then says "Now I shall ask, and you shall answer." It then changes to Cortana saying "Alright, shoot".

I would suggest not reading these, and instead play through them. You have 3 weeks, each game in coop will not take that long. It is an exciting ride, and well worth a play through.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 06:25:08 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 06:20:21 PM »

Halo 2:

you get pumped up for a massive battle...
but then the game ends.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 06:31:12 PM »

Summary of Halo's story: it's pretty much the same as Half Life, but not based on Earth.  And there is a lot less crawling through vents.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 06:34:19 PM »

And a Halo 3 spoiler: You get pumped to fight Covenant on Earth, then your 360 red rings.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 06:35:01 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 06, 2007, 06:12:27 PM

I'm just curious: if you didn't enjoy the previous two games well enough to complete them, why would you want to buy the third?

-Autistic Angel

A sucker for game hype I guess.. disgust

PS3 Spinks
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 06:39:16 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on September 06, 2007, 06:31:12 PM

Summary of Halo's story: it's pretty much the same as Half Life, but not based on Earth.  And there is a lot less crawling through vents.

Seriously? Hrm. I think maybe you need to replay the game and not skip the cut-scenes. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 06:42:11 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 06, 2007, 06:39:16 PM

Seriously? Hrm. I think maybe you need to replay the game and not skip the cut-scenes. slywink

That's the abridged version.  If you played Half Life (I'm just talking about the first one), you already know Halo's story.  Headcrabs are going to turn everything into zombies.  The End.

Actually, now that I think about it... comparing Half Life's story to Halo's really does a terrible disservice to Half Life's story.  I guess you can look at Halo as an Uwe Boll interpretation of Half Life's story.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 06:44:14 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 06:47:49 PM »

I like the Halo story/universe.  There, I said it.  Don't worry, I'll show myself to the door.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 06:48:27 PM »

Unb, I suppose that's one opinion.

It would be a closer match to say that it's more like Aliens... you know, with the ORIGINAL headcrabs. Roll Eyes

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 07:01:22 PM »

Quote from: Bob on September 06, 2007, 06:47:49 PM

I like the Halo story/universe.  There, I said it.  Don't worry, I'll show myself to the door.

I like it too!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 07:05:02 PM »

How have we made it this far into the thread without Calvin jumping in to defend how awesome the Halo 2 ending was?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 07:19:12 PM »

i am replaying halo 1 now,as i couldnt remember nothing from the two games except the shit ending of number 2

and i can safely say...i hate the warthog...i cant control the bastard!!why couldnt they just make the controls like every other vehicle in games?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 07:21:29 PM »

I would suggest not reading these, and instead play through them. You have 3 weeks, each game in coop will not take that long. It is an exciting ride, and well worth a play through.

To be honest, with Bioshock, Stranglehold and my current back log. That Will never happen in 3 week. unless the games are like 4-6 hrs each.

Thanks for that Summery though, I really appreciate it.  thumbsup
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 07:23:28 PM by juniordan » Logged

PS3 Spinks
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 07:22:26 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 06, 2007, 07:19:12 PM

i am replaying halo 1 now,as i couldnt remember nothing from the two games except the shit ending of number 2

and i can safely say...i hate the warthog...i cant control the bastard!!why couldnt they just make the controls like every other vehicle in games?

The warthog is where I stopped on One, on that bridge thing.

PS3 Spinks
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 07:46:57 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on September 06, 2007, 07:05:02 PM

How have we made it this far into the thread without Calvin jumping in to defend how awesome the Halo 2 ending was?

You don't need Calvin.  I will tell you.

The ending to Halo 2 was in fact brilliant.  It was such a tease.  I had the same reaction to it that I did when I first saw Empire Strikes Back in 1980, "I have to wait until the third movie to see what happens to Han Solo and company?"  The anticipation was killing me.  Same with Halo 3. 

It's stories like this, with unexpected cliffhangers, that make it worth the wait and can build the anticipation to explosive levels.  I loved Halo 2's ending.

September 25th cannot come fast enough!  nod

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 07:53:44 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on September 06, 2007, 07:46:57 PM

It's stories like this, with unexpected cliffhangers, that make it worth the wait and can build the anticipation to explosive levels.  I loved Halo 2's ending.

There are cliffhangers and then there are non-endings.

The ESB comparison does not ring even remotely close.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 07:54:39 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 06, 2007, 06:48:27 PM

Unb, I suppose that's one opinion.

It would be a closer match to say that it's more like Aliens... you know, with the ORIGINAL headcrabs. Roll Eyes

Actually I was thinking Star Wars.

....with headcrabs.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 07:57:29 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on September 06, 2007, 07:46:57 PM

The ending to Halo 2 was in fact brilliant.  It was such a tease.  I had the same reaction to it that I did when I first saw Empire Strikes Back in 1980, "I have to wait until the third movie to see what happens to Han Solo and company?"  The anticipation was killing me.  Same with Halo 3. 

Picking an arbitrary stopping point does not a brilliant cliffhanger make.  The great cliffhangers like Empire give you a fully satisfying finale while still leaving interesting threads open for the followup.  Empire's ending wouldn't have been nearly as good if it had been "Luke, I am your father" and then fade to starfield and credits without the great lightsaber fight, rescue of Han, and escape from Cloud City.  Halo 2 didn't signal to me that I had reached the finale of the game.  It felt like just another level and then it was over. 

I know it didn't work for everyone but I'll point to Tomb Raider Legend as a recent game with a cliffhanger that worked for me.  It *felt* like the final level of the game and the final boss.  It was only in the very last moments of the end cutscene when the music was already swelling signaling the game was over that you get the bit of information that made it a cliffhanger. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 09:33:39 PM »

LOL,i remember when my mates were pissed off with the ending of lord of the rings;the fellowship of the ring..having to wait until the year after to find out what happens....i also used the ESB method and told them it took return of the jedi some 3 years to find out after
Spoiler for Hiden:
darth saying 'luke i'm your father'
Spoiler for Hiden:
icon_lol...see i put a spoiler incase the one amazonian kid deep in the jungles didnt know about it

Halo 2 ending was more ....in the middle of things....or so it felt,i was expecting another level...and yet it ended

the ending pissed me off,but not as much as not playing as master chief all through the game,like as i have said before metal gear solid 2,no one wanted to play as Raiden,it was snake who was the hero,who we loved....as was master chief not the Arbiter,and then coupled with the ending,left a very hollow experience for me

i am hoping that halo 3,only lets you play as master chief

actually kevins first paragraphs is exactly how i felt,and i should of read it better before posting this...but oh well...i still stand by not wanting to play as someone other than master chief
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 09:37:05 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 12:41:52 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 06, 2007, 07:57:29 PM

Picking an arbitrary stopping point does not a brilliant cliffhanger make.  The great cliffhangers like Empire give you a fully satisfying finale while still leaving interesting threads open for the followup.  Empire's ending wouldn't have been nearly as good if it had been "Luke, I am your father" and then fade to starfield and credits without the great lightsaber fight, rescue of Han, and escape from Cloud City.  Halo 2 didn't signal to me that I had reached the finale of the game.  It felt like just another level and then it was over.

+ a zillion gajillion infinities!

I know it didn't work for everyone but I'll point to Tomb Raider Legend as a recent game with a cliffhanger that worked for me.  It *felt* like the final level of the game and the final boss.  It was only in the very last moments of the end cutscene when the music was already swelling signaling the game was over that you get the bit of information that made it a cliffhanger. 

Agreed.  Now as long as they actually follow up with the continuation there will be no bloodshed.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 03:53:18 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 06, 2007, 07:19:12 PM

Don't hammer the gas dude... once you get used to controlling it and realizing that driving an offroad vehicle at full speed at 90+ deg angles is BAD, then you get GOOD at something. slywink

As to the ending, it did feel like they should have either cut it off sooner (at the point where you kill Mr. Brute-Dude) and give the ending more .... significance ... or at least let you as the MC commandeer a ship and be flying on your own or something.

As to the Arbiter, get over it. There is more than just Luke in Star Wars, and the Arbiter was a pretty well developed character (hell, there's character development as opposed to the Master Chief who's basically the inspiration for Sam Fisher's level of dialog)

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 09:51:42 PM »

Thanks for the spoiler tags guys, as I am one of the few people who have never played either Halo.  I actually just picked up a used copy of the first game and am on the 5th level.  I'm really enjoying it and didn't have any idea it was so story intensive.  If anyone is interested in playing co-op with me, send me a PM.  I assume it works on the 360.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 09:54:59 PM »

it does, and if you ever see me online, send me a message. I'd be more than happy to go a level or two with you.

(Halo2 of course; Halo1 has no coop live IIRC)

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 10:38:38 PM »

Ah, I am still on Halo 1.  As long as we're on the subject, how long are Halos 1 & 2?  I'd like to try to play through them before Halo 3 comes out.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 10:54:14 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 12, 2007, 09:54:59 PM

(Halo2 of course; Halo1 has no coop live IIRC)

Unfortunately, Halo 2 co-op is also split-screen only. No xbox live play. frown
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2007, 11:40:43 PM »

You know nothing of the story if you actually believe that.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2007, 11:51:10 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on September 06, 2007, 06:42:11 PM

That's the abridged version.  If you played Half Life (I'm just talking about the first one), you already know Halo's story.  Headcrabs are going to turn everything into zombies.  The End.

Actually, now that I think about it... comparing Half Life's story to Halo's really does a terrible disservice to Half Life's story.  I guess you can look at Halo as an Uwe Boll interpretation of Half Life's story.

retard

Sorry but you're completely and utterly wrong here. Read the novels (a 4th Halo novel is due in October), listen to the 6 hour radio show, watch the videos, and spend some time actually reading about Halo before you make a statement like that. Halo has far more going for it than Half-Life when it comes to lore and the overall depth of its story.

You obviously know very little about the story and should just stop pretending.

I'd liken the whole of Halo's story to an interactive Iain Banks novel.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 12:36:18 AM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on September 12, 2007, 11:51:10 PM

retard

Sorry but you're completely and utterly wrong here. Read the novels (a 4th Halo novel is due in October), listen to the 6 hour radio show, watch the videos, and spend some time actually reading about Halo before you make a statement like that. Halo has far more going for it than Half-Life when it comes to lore and the overall depth of its story.

I'm all for continuing stories across mutlilple mediums (didn't care for the one Halo novel I read but loved I Love Bees), for the purposes of this discussion it's only fair to discuss what's actually in the game.  While I don't agree with unbreakable's conclusion, I don't think you can say "Halo's story is really deep if you read the novels."  Any differences (and there are tons) between the stories in Halo and Half Life storylines should be mentioned in the context of what's in the game. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2007, 12:55:41 AM »

retard

don't forget the comic books!

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2007, 02:53:28 PM »

retard

LOL, you are completely insane.  I played Halo.  That's all one should reasonably be required to do in order to know THAT GAMES STORY.

So you are trying to tell me that I should read 4 books, 6 hours of radio shows, videos, magazine articles, years of bad fan fiction, etc in order to realize that the first Halo's story was not, in fact, a really bad and lazy rip-off of Half Life's story?

There's a word for that... I think it's pronounced "insane".

If Bungie can't tell that game's story inside that game... there's something definitely wrong.  I really loved Half Life's story, and I didn't need to read 4 books, 6 hours of radio shows, videos, magazine articles, years of bad fan fiction, etc.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 02:55:41 PM by unbreakable » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2007, 03:12:08 PM »

I'm still having trouble seeing how Halo was like Half Life beyond aliens invading.

Half-Life: Modern dayish scientists open a portal which allows aliens to cross over dimensions and assault a military lab.

Halo: Future setting, aliens are invading from the same reality, galaxy wide conflct.

heck, if anything Halo is more a rip off of Quake 2.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2007, 06:11:20 PM »

HL : Black Mesa experiments on earth rip open a void and we get "invasion" and mysterious men in black who seem to be puppeteering. The headcrabs seem to serve the invading forces.

Halo : Earth forces have encountered (and in the VERY FIRST CGI IN HALO1) they've identified that the Covenant, a group of alien races (later revealed to be under the banner of a false religion of the forerunners) are attacking human forces and so the Pillar of Autumn is fleeing away from earth so they never find our homeworld.

The covenant release the flood; an ancient pestilence which doesn't actually mount to the head, but some of the animated corpses have the flood parasite control them via the place in which human bodies are controlled; their head. There's also bloat monsters, etc.

I'm failing to see the fundamental parallels you allude to. They both have humans, they both have aliens, and they both have smallish yellow creatures, that through different means control human corpses. Neither take place in the same time, place or with the same sorts of people. There is no plagerism and I'm pretty sure the Flood were planned before Half-Life was released as the Bungie guys have been working in the same universe for years and the HALO game was initially planned for 97 (but went through several design reworkings). I don't doubt that the storyline changed but that seems like a pretty big plot-point.

Now Sparhawk is a little off base in saying that you _need_ to read boox, or comix, or hear radio playz to GET the world as described in HALO. The fact that all of that DOES exist does help flesh out the world (I have not done any of those 3 said things, and never followed the bees/ants viral marketing). Just playing the games (all HLs and HALOs) the only thing they share is that they are both terrific games with compelling storylines that go in their own directions with their own twists and turns.

To compare one to Uwe's works is just inflamatory and uncalled for. It doesn't really sound like you paid much attention to the storyline... I don't see how "landing on a ringworld fully armed for combat and racing for the prize" = "trying to find your way home from work once shit goes bad oh, and here's a crowbar!".

You may hate HALO for the colour of the box or the orchastra /operatic music at the beginning or because you prefer PC games(initial release) and want to be a scientist in a biosuit carrying 20 weapons at once as opposed to being a military trained badass with a spartan battlesuit and a reasonable restriction in how much you can tote around; your taste is not wrong, it's just yours.

To fault one over the other for being a knockoff is a cop-out. And as I recall, in recent memory the only game that left me more disappointed with it not continuing than Halo 2 was Half-Life 2. It too had an aborted feel that made me a little terse about not having closure. People throw around the word hate or bad too much, it was just a bit of a letdown (on both HL2 and H2).

PS. if it seems like I'm coming down on you, I'm not. I'm just a little annoyed at the beligerent tone you've taken in your H/H2=Uwe post(s). smile
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 06:13:18 PM by Purge » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2007, 06:17:41 PM »

+ a jillion to Purge and his non-angsty post  icon_biggrin

See kids, if you wait long enough someone comes along and makes the wordy post for you.  Now you know, and knowings half the battle.

GO JOE!

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: