http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 05:38:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone use the 360 drive for xvid/divx playback?  (Read 783 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2008, 07:55:02 PM »

I had a strange thing happen the other day, wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of behavior.  I had a disc full of episodes of a tv show that I needed to catch up on, in xvid format.  Popped the thing in the 360 and watched 3 or 4 episodes, no problem, looked great.  Got up to one episode and the machine told me that it couldn't read the file and put a red circle with a line through it next to the file.  Then all of a sudden the same icon started appearing next to a lot of the other files, and episodes I had already watched suddenly wouldn't play.  Wondering if there is some sort of ability to recognize copyrighted material?  That seems far-fetched.

As a side note, did you know that you can watch all 3 seasons of Lost on abc.com in streaming HD with just some small 30 second commercial breaks?  Very cool, although they only have limited episodes of their other shows and generally not in HD.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 08:50:46 PM »

I do all the time and haven't had a problem. I stream ripped DVD's from a 500 gig external drive attached to my pc.

I really doubt it's a copyright thing.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 01:58:44 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on February 25, 2008, 08:50:46 PM

I do all the time and haven't had a problem. I stream ripped DVD's from a 500 gig external drive attached to my pc.

I really doubt it's a copyright thing.

Same here - I shoot it across my network from my PC and only have problems when the source file has problems.  (or the damned thing red rings....I'M NOT BITTER!)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 11:08:53 PM »

I've played several Xvid files from burned discs, and they've all played just fine.

On a related note, some of the files I've tried to play don't fill out to the edges of my screen, like its playing the file in its original resolution instead of stretching it out to fill the screen.  Does anyone know if there's a way to tell the 360 to stretch or zoom the video out to the size of my screen?

-Autistic Angel
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 01:42:10 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 26, 2008, 11:08:53 PM

I've played several Xvid files from burned discs, and they've all played just fine.

On a related note, some of the files I've tried to play don't fill out to the edges of my screen, like its playing the file in its original resolution instead of stretching it out to fill the screen.  Does anyone know if there's a way to tell the 360 to stretch or zoom the video out to the size of my screen?

-Autistic Angel

yup, press A to bring up the controls and use the d-pad to go over to the right and you'll find a control for the aspect ratio.  It has like 5 different options (zoom, letterbox, stretch, etc.)

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 02:25:08 PM »

I'll definitely have to check that out.  Thanks!  thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: