http://gamingtrend.com
December 28, 2014, 11:40:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone twitching for F.E.A.R.?  (Read 2559 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2004, 03:48:39 PM »

Man, I still am. I DL'd the demo of the first 10 minutes of the game a while back, and I still watch it as an example of balls to the wall action done right. A realistic physics engine capable of massive amounts of environmental destruction, and opponents that seem to actually work together against you? All set in a X-Files/Ring/SWAT environment? Where can I sign up right now?!?! biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 03:55:01 PM »

This is actually the first I remember hearing of it... any links?

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 05:20:13 PM »

Yep, I'm twitching so hard I'm having an epileptic fit.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 05:34:57 PM »

Here's the link at GameSpot for the movie that shows mucho mayhem and ass-kickery. biggrin

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 05:36:10 PM »

Can't wait.  With Monolith's stellar track record I have no doubt it will be great.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 05:48:36 PM »

YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES!

This game is in First Place on my radar. Can't wait for it.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 06:00:38 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Can't wait.  With Monolith's stellar track record I have no doubt it will be great.

Other than Contrack Jack.  Which was bad.
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 06:31:35 PM »

I'm very excited, which sucks cause the game seems so far off =(
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 06:33:32 PM »

Can't wait!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 06:37:45 PM »

I'm definitely in.

It seems like they weren't given that much of a choice from their publisher for Contract Jack.  So, with little time, they had to showhorn an action game into the NOLF2 engine and pray for the best... it didn't work out.

This time, it looks like they've been planning and working on it for a long time, so I'm hopin it'll be up to their usual quality.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 06:59:21 PM »

Anyone else really creeped out by that little girl? :shock:

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 08:05:38 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Other than Contrack Jack.  Which was bad.

Like Turtle, I don't hold Contract JACK against them.  It really seemed like it was Monolith going "I guess gamers like fast action and playing the bad guy" without their heart (or many resources in it).
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 03:14:46 AM »

Is there anything resembling a release date yet?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 03:42:36 AM »

Middle of 2005 at the earliest.

I find it strange that they promoted this game this early, but maybe they were trying to convince their publisher to put more money into it?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 01:32:45 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Middle of 2005 at the earliest.

I find it strange that they promoted this game this early, but maybe they were trying to convince their publisher to put more money into it?

Nah- I think it was Vivendi's decision to highlight it at E3. I'm guessing that they didn't want the game's first E3 to be so close to actual release so they went ahead with E3 '04.  Based on the E3 stuff and subsequent videos it looks like Monolith was pretty far along in development.  Monolith has been very good about releasing games on time so I don't anticpate signficant delays (knock on wood).
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 09:49:03 PM »

I'm in with the "I want it the very second it's determined gold" group.

I watched that video at least ten times. I showed it to friends who only play console games and they were absolutely drooling. When I told them it's going to be PC only I thought they were going to throw tantrums or something. They're still disappointed that it's not going to come out on a console.

It was pretty funny stuff actually.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004, 11:51:56 PM »

My problem with the little girl is, well, isn't it too obvious?  Hey, look, we have a bunch of armed soldiers...and a little girl.  (Think "Men in Black".)  If they have hordes of little girls in this game (who aren't creepy), then it will work.

Here's what I mean: go play Marathon.  You have a bunch of innocent bystanders in this game, who are generally in full flight from alian badasses anytime you encounter them. Among these crowds are a few guys who AREN'T innocent civilians - they're secret kamikaze bombs.  After two or three encounters, anytime you meet people, you start being very nervous, and you will find yourself routinley gunning down innocent civilians because you're making sure no kamikazes are getting near you.  (This nervousness was heightened in the sequel, where some of those civilians are armed, and when you start opening fire on innocent people...)

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 01:46:30 AM »

The girl isn't supposed to look like a bystander.  She's supposed to be this evil little girl, that can take out groups of well armed and trained soldiers just by looking at them.

It's a contrast dynamic.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2004, 01:47:59 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
The girl isn't supposed to look like a bystander.  She's supposed to be this evil little girl, that can take out groups of well armed and trained soldiers just by looking at them.

It's a contrast dynamic.

Bingo.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2004, 02:59:39 PM »

Imagine of the girl from The Ring was actually scary when you saw her, and didn't look like a drowned rat. Then imagine if that girl blinked and not only is your arm flying off, but you've just been gutted too. Yeah, wouldn't really want to go up against that with anything short of tactical nukes.

But I can't wait to try. biggrin

Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2004, 03:47:22 AM »

I downloaded that demo last August, and I still watch it every now and then.  Best game demo I've ever seen, bar none.   :shock:   I love FPS games, and I love games with creepy atmospheres.  Combine those two things, and throw in awesome graphics and great rag-doll physics, and you have what is easily my top anticipated game.  *drools*  I just hope it'll run on my PC.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2004, 05:17:58 AM »

I think the best thing about that demo footage is that it's not a bunch of propoganda style short snippets of gameplay where you never really get an idea of how the game will play, instead it's a run through by an actual player of the beginning of the game.

Sure it'll definitely change on release, but it's enough so that I already know it's the kind of game I want to play.

Also a good sign is how complete the game seems, and it's still 5-6 months away.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2004, 05:27:42 AM »

Hey, if the game lets me kill little girls, I'm in!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2004, 07:34:52 PM »

I'm really looking forward to the game. And the little girl is scary, but not super scary. She would have been more scary if every scary movie from the past 5 years or so hadn't used a creepy little kid in it. Devilish little kids have become a horror cliche.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2004, 10:58:04 PM »

Quote from: "Old Negus"
I'm really looking forward to the game. And the little girl is scary, but not super scary. She would have been more scary if every scary movie from the past 5 years or so hadn't used a creepy little kid in it. Devilish little kids have become a horror cliche.

True enough, but when a cliche is done right it can be an amazing thing to behold. Look at The Incredibles - every possible "family is all important" cliche is used, but the way it was done made that movie spectacular to the nth degree. biggrin

I'm really wanting F.E.A.R. and wanting it right now (mainly because I'm still at work and can't play Half-Life 2 either).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: