http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 06:33:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone trying Mythos?  (Read 1694 times)
unbreakable
« on: November 16, 2007, 07:17:51 PM »

I just noticed Flagship (the Hellgate dudes) also have a free diablo-type game in beta right now called Mythos.  I guess it's going to be free to download and play once it's released.  Kind of wondering how free is going to make them money... but that's their problem.  Maybe Google is going to buy them  icon_biggrin

So anyone try it out, or know much about it?
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 07:24:35 PM »

Yup, we've talked about it some earlier on the forums.  Apparently Flagship was using Mythos to test the on-the-fly content downloading part of the Hellgate engine or some such.

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,23203.0.html
http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,21062.0.html
http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,21602.0.html
http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,21186.0.html
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 07:36:40 PM »

Wow, so I'm really really really late to the party.  Anyone have invites anymore?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 07:36:48 PM »

As someone frustrated by Hellgate and its bugs at about every other turn, I've started to wonder if the Diablo II boys are actually working on Mythos, and that's why Hellgate doesn't really have Diablo II's feel, personality or relative (Lord Knows, Diablo II got patched often post-release, but I recall it being more about balanacing than fixing) polish.

If Mythos has FPS movement controls and can be played without carpal tunnel/tendinitis setting in from clicking everything in sight, I'll want to give it a look. smile

Maybe we should look at Hellgate as a "dry run" for Mythos, and Mythos will gain the benefit of learning from all of Hellgate's mistakes. That's my glass half full view.  icon_neutral

I don't know anybody testing Mythos alas. When I mentioned playing Hellgate at my fading COH SG's forum, a bud mentioned that he was hearing far more positive things about Mythos than Hellgate.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 11:33:17 PM »

Mythos is about 100x the game Hellgate is. Look for them to keep pounding on it and for it to go from free to a full retail release-thats my guess. I bet it would do moderate, Titan Quest style numbers.
andon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 11:34:05 PM »

I have several invites available.   PM me and I'll send out as many as I can.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 01:33:27 PM »

Any idea what the hard drive space requirements for this are? I'm at the point where I'm having to uninstall games every time I get something new. I'm interested in Crysis and the PC Gears of War but both have something like 12GB space requirements.  eek

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 01:37:52 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 20, 2007, 01:33:27 PM

Any idea what the hard drive space requirements for this are? I'm at the point where I'm having to uninstall games every time I get something new. I'm interested in Crysis and the PC Gears of War but both have something like 12GB space requirements.  eek

Compared to those games, squat. I'd like to say under 1GB, but I don't have a semi-current installation to make sure.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 03:05:17 PM »

The Mythos directory clocks in at 320 MB.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 10:31:31 PM »

Wow, I played Mythos for a while today... and WTF is with Hellgate?  They don't even have to take notes from WoW about how to improve their UI... they can just play Mythos and take notes.

Given the state of both games, I have to wonder why they didnt push Mythos to get released and keep Hellgate in beta, instead of the other way around.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 03:38:17 AM »

Mythos will never hold a candle to the polished, deep, artfully designed, full of really interesting quests, Hellgate: London. There is no comparison!... Wait for it.... keep waiting.... just a bit longer...

Kidding!  smirk

Seriously, Hellgate: London is what the Diablo creators came up with when they were (according to Bill Roper) shocked that Vivendi Universal accepted their resignations instead of communicating better with them. It's their baby. It's their pride and joy. They built the company around it. OK, basically they dumped it overboard (the game, not a baby!  eek) and are now desperately trying to resuscitate it.

My own brief Mythos experience was that it felt like a more constricted Titan Quest, or a slightly jazzier Fate (Fate's lead designer is behind Mythos). It's OK. I think the juxtaposition next to Hellgate (in its launch form, it gradually improves, but so far at a glacial pace) makes Mythos look more mythic than it really is, imho. smile

I say, leave it be, and let it enjoy modest expectations and an absence of frantic over-hyping from Bill Roper.  nod

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 05:26:18 PM »

Well, one thing I noticed is that the UI is just like Diablo.  Almost literally.  It's actually a bit improved over Diablo, since having your inventory and character open doesn't obstruct the entire screen.

So that's why it astonishes me that Hellgate's UI is so horrible.  Open your character page... obstruct the whole screen.  Open you inventory... obstruct the whole screen.  Including the chat window, which takes up have the screen.  And my personal favorite is how opening a trade window obstructs everything, including the chat window.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 05:51:02 PM »

Yeah, I don't get this - they made Mythos entirely to test out their 'content delivery system', and in the end it's a FAR better game (and less buggy) than Hellgate.

WTF?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 08:09:23 PM »

Well, they just said the next Hellgate patch will have UI improvements.  So, hopefully, they are going to do something about it.  Better late than never, I guess.  Hopefully it's a big improvement, and not a quick-fix.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 06:39:13 PM »

Anyone get the e-mail on the update? 

I didn't bother to look when it came in, but I'm assuming it's relatively recent:

Great news! We have released a new update for Mythos today that adds tons of great new features, improvements, and bug fixes. It gives us great pleasure to present the following "patch notes" that detail some of the great things in this new version of Mythos. No need to reinstall, no need to download anything. Just log in and you will be automatically patched and ready to go.

FEATURES

* Guilds have been added! Speak to the Guildmaster in Tulin's Hope to start one at a cost of 5 Gold.
* Hardcore Mode has been added, for extra challenge! In Hardcore, when you die - your character is gone forever, so be careful!
* Elite Mode has been added. In Elite mode, monsters are faster, more aggressive, and tougher. Champions appear more often. You can only sell items for half of regular price.
- Note that Elite and Hardcore players cannot party or trade with players who do not match their setup, to preserve the economies of these different play styles.
* Re-specs are now allowed (although not in Hardcore or Elite mode) - speak to a Skillmaster in Stonehill or Tulin's hope. Re-specs are free from level 1 through 5, and above that, cost starts at 1 Gold and increases from there. There is a maximum of 3 re-specs beyond level 5
* Quests are now Trackable - check them in your log to view them onscreen at all times
* Maximum Questlog size increased to 8 quests.
* Hardware Mouse Cursors! This should make mouse response lightning fast. Hooray!
* Achievements system has been added - complete goals to earn equippable achievements that give you extra bonuses! Unlock a new achievement slot every 10 levels
* Emotes - there is an emote button above the chat pane that will show you the options
* Zivia's Puzzle Box!
* Party Finder – post your party and description and meet some new friends! You can also post yourself as looking for group to the list.
* Ignore List is now account-based and actually saves.

CONTENT ADDITIONS

* Mossy Gothic Tileset.
* Sand Temple Tileset.
* Goblin City Tileset.
* 2 New Boss Battles.
* Many new monsters.
* New monster spawn layouts for Zone 2 that are much imporved.
* New Gadgeteer Dusters and Mage gear - including non-robe Mage gear.
* Tulin's Hope has guard patrols.
* New socketable gemstones.
* New level decorations and breakables in zone 2 outdoors.
* Lots of new sounds.
* Many particle updates.
* A few new quests

IMPROVEMENTS

* Quest titles are color-coded by difficulty relative to your level.
* Maximum town player population has been increased.
* Chat instance size has been increased.
* Faster auto-map performance.
* You can purchase directly to equipment slots if they are empty.
* Ants are now more interesting as monsters.
* Zombies now no longer crawl out of the same hole.
* Skills only charge mana once they have fired, so you don't lose mana if interrupted during a warmup.
* You can now see party member mana.
* Chat box now waits a second before fading in, and does not fade in if LMB is down.
* Questlog improved - shows the full text of quests.
* Quest system streamlined - no more multiple clicking to accept quests! Quests automatically advance to the next chained quest too, so you don't have to re-click on the NPC.
* Chat enhancements. (context prefix, auto switch to pane when chatting to a different pane, etc.)
* All buildings/props now have bottom faces for nicer vanity views.
* Bargain Hunter shows you item requirements, and has a new icon to help identify him.
* Hirelings can have equipment and can be healed (use CTRL-hotkey to quickly heal them with potions from your Active Bar, or drag from your inventory onto their portrait.)
* Improved travel menu lists locations on the right. You may travel by clicking directly on the name. Additionally, legs of the journey are color coded to show you the furthest extent to which you may warp.
* Luck and Speed Bonuses displayed in details pane.
* Changing options that require restart should notify you that this is the case.
* Random quest-giver has better loot, and 3 choices.
* Chat box background is a little more opaque.
* Anchorstone can be placed in your Active Bar.

TUNING

* Leveling rate improved - monsters now give about 30-35% more XP.
* Monsters about 15% tougher.
* Rifle damage nerfed past level 7 or so - it was pretty excessive.
* Partied players now get 100% credit for each monster kill.
* Quest XP balanced where it was ridiculously low (or oddly high).
* Trinkets now appear with higher level random stats at later levels.
* Trinkets have varying level requirements - low-level trinkets have no level requirement.
* Fang Rexes, Tongued Lashers, Boars have improved HP.
* Flaming Fist now has a higher interrupt chance, making it more useful.
* Early quest ranges re-leveled to take into account our faster leveling rates.
* Epic dungeons no longer give solo players full party credit (it was 3x!) for each kill.
* Mage robes now get damage effect affixes.
* Hollow Archer damage and refire speed reduced, accuracy reduced as well.
* Wider hit buffer on attack ranges to give you a better chance of hitting fleeing monsters.
* Pathing is improved when pathing to unreachable locations.
* More revised level layouts to make different level types more distinct.
* Item colors have been reorganized - the current progression is Green->Blue->Purple->Gold->Yellow(Unique)

FIXES

* Friends list actually scrolls now, and properly sorts by tab.
* Several memory leaks repaired.
* Various network connectivity and stability fixes that we inherited from Hellgate. Thanks, guys!
* When going to a map location which you cannot fully warp to, you will begin walking at the nearest location - not the beginning!
* Pet icons shouldn't disappear, and neither should party members if they are on the same level.
* Monsters now respond to hits outside of their range - no more potshotting them at the corner of the screen!
* Disappearing item bug should be fixed.
* Pets shouldn’t lurk in town after logout.
* Hopeful fix for the unloadable characters?
* Student Shoulders and Master Shoulders fixed.
* Sky in intro scene shouldn’t look crummy on Low quality shaders.
* Many quest fixes.
* Blurry texture in Heath clearing fixed.
* Attempted fix for that nasty cave corner where everything gets stuck.
* Fixed up some of the crummier item affixes.
* Various incorrect skill icons fixed.
* Satyr male chain coif fixed.
* NPC satyrs now have horns.
* Fixed weird disappearing bosses with out of range resistances.
* Fixed irritating map bug that made it difficult to click on a location.
* Fixed goblin runt starting levels.
* Fix for some improperly leveled dungeons.
* Several bugs with Hireling damage and speeds fixed.
* Fixed monster poisons.
* Failed trades now show a proper message instead of a window that blinks immediately off.
* Fixed some oddly fullbright models.
* Tongued Lashers can stun again.
* Spin buttons on character select larger.
* A ridiculous ton of skill fixes and balancing.
* Stuck skills can now get ‘unstuck’ by casting the skill again.
* Warping champions now don't do it so often.

SKILL BALANCE WORK

* Piercing Barrage was often doing double damage, as well as too much of that. Fixed. Also doesn't do infinitesimal poison damage in early tier.
* Suppression and Mind Control widgets now no longer target the same monster.
* Blood Command missiles show proper speed on client.
* Flame Serpents third node damage bonus doubled.
* Razor Aura reduces max mana by 25% while on.
* Human male Gadgeteer Deafening Shot animation fixed.
* Bauble trap has a little less health.
* And many, many more balance changes! More than we can remember to list.

NOTE
* The Friends system has been rebuilt, and so you will need to reconstruct your Friends list on your next login. The new system remains account based, but is much improved on the server side.

For technical assistance and to report any bugs please go to this forum for assistance.

The Mythos Team

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 06:48:07 PM »

Great new patch, must try again soon.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 03:06:46 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 17, 2007, 06:48:07 PM

Great new patch, must try again soon.

Same.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 03:37:05 PM »

i'm playing Hardcore Elite in a guild called Cheat Death
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: