http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:01:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone try Shadowgrounds Survivor yet?  (Read 1370 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 01, 2008, 02:57:57 PM »

I like the top down creepy crawliness of it and plus enjoyed the romp through the first one.  Just came out the first week of December and looks to just be more of the same.  I see you can download it and start playing immediately from ebgames.com for $19.99. 

Considering it if I can be sure it will not chugalug on my system.  Also curious about length.  For the price 6-8 hours would be acceptable.

Here is a link to some gameplay footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlCq2PW6uQw

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 05:47:01 PM »

I have it but haven't played more than the first few minutes so can't speak to length.

But did want to mention you can get both Shadowgrounds games for $12.95 on Steam (which is where I got them). I think that price goes away sometime today.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 07:01:31 PM »

I downloaded the demo of the first game and my comp would play it on medium o k a y, but there was some chug during intense moments, so, I figured I would not be able to play the new one unless on low and have no desire to do it.  So, I am skipping at any price.  But dang, $13 for both is a heck of a deal if you can run em.  Better comp and I would jump all over it.  Good old school fun.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 02:10:21 PM »

Here's the official site:

Shadowgrounds Survivor
http://www.shadowgroundssurvivor.com/

I loved the original game, and I used to hang out at Frozenbyte's (dev) official forum for the game. However, this followup game they already had to do a patch for (and their forums have several complaints about bugs and crashing problems) and it sounds to be like yet another premature release.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 08:38:05 PM »

I guess I'm a little late adding to this.  icon_razz Having lost interest even in stuff I had just bought to revisit (Kane & Lynch), I needed... something.

So I revisited Shadowgrounds (which I had bought at retail and quite enjoyed in its day), and then I realized I don't think I'd even played the demo of Shadowgrounds Survivor. I played the demo on Steam, and it's a blast. I like the graphical improvements, and the exploding barrels add quite a bit to it. I need to get better with the hand grenade tossing. Environments are a little bit more open than the original game, and here and there are some unexpected "monster ambushes".

I've forgotten the strategy for taking down those nasty mech-spider things (I think it's too shoot them from behind but they're awfully agile at keeping their back away from you), and at the medium difficulty I was getting whupped repeatedly near the end of the demo.

They've also added something of a "leveling" system where you earn personal upgrades (this is sort of separate from the upgrading of weapons which is still a big part of it). Some of the cooler upgrades are an "auto use" of medkits when you fall to 50% health or below; and a pricey one (Brute Slayer) that lets your character hop up on top of a particularly nasty beasty creature and head-shot it (you don't get to see the Brute in the demo afik, but I've seen it in the trailer for the game, and the top down animation is pretty awesome).

I'm sorry I missed the $5 Steam sale on Survivor last year. I think it's $14.99 [note: Not $19.99, fwiw] these days. If I end up getting it, I'll post some belated observations here.

At their forums, some folks with 64-bit Vista had trouble with the boxed version in terms of installing it. In most cases, it seemed that installing NVIDIA's PhysX drivers fixed it (even if your video card doesn't support it, it seems to inexplicably be required to install the game properly on some systems). I don't think the Steam version has that problem though, and the demo ran smoothly on my 64-bit Vista, fwiw.

btw, Frozenbyte is getting quite a bit of hype and good buzz for their upcoming PS3 (PSN)/PC side scrolling 3-race platformer (for lack of a better word) Trine:
http://trine-thegame.com/site/
I've read in interviews it actually uses a heavily modified (and re-coded since it wasn't designed for PS3) version of the Shadowgrounds Survivor engine...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 01:16:45 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 08:44:58 PM »

I played it on Gametap and really enjoyed it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 01:31:44 AM »

I went ahead and got it via Steam, it's down to $14.99 now.

A peek at the upgrades screen...

I just think they should warn you the Brute Slayer one isn't (it appears) of any use in the demo levels. Spacebar is the default "Special Attack" key.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 01:33:16 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 01:31:49 AM »

Napalm guy is interesting.

I like how the missions jump a bit between the different characters, who each have a differently limited set of weapons to choose from. It at least keeps you from just using the same weapon throughout the campaign (as I often did in Shadowgrounds).

Everything splatters and breaks up real good. I'm glad they did away with the "fading flashlight power" schtick; now you can just leave it on all the time.

Further down the marine tree, things get interesting.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 04:46:05 AM »

I feel bad I waited so long to play this, as I'm having a lot more fun than with a lot of my more pricey games.  icon_smile

Generally, light puzzles with a deathray laser in the middle make me scream, but fortunately this is easier to get through than it looks.

The mech missions towards the end are a wonderful hoot, esp. with more destructible environmental items around.

Sentry gun. I had an idiot attack earlier and didn't realize you have to stand by the rear platform side in order to "man" it.  icon_redface

Slimed!!!

I find the grenades frustrating to use until you can get the Cluster Bomb grenade upgrade. THEN, it's pretty awesome.  drool

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 03:30:44 PM »

This caught my eye in the update on the "Humble Frozenbyte" bundle:
Second, we have released the source code for our Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor games.
Not that I'm smart enough to do anything with it but it might be fun to see what players use it for.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: