http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 08:59:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone still hyped for Shadow of the Colossus?  (Read 19699 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 20, 2007, 09:12:35 PM »

Did you fight each colossi, ATB?

And I spent about equal time wandering and fighting.  I loved the wandering because of how beautiful the landscape was.  I guess that didn't bother me.

No story?  Again, I don't think you beat the game or you wouldn't say that.  One of my favorite ending sequences in a game, easily.

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 20, 2007, 09:19:38 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 20, 2007, 07:51:28 PM

Most overrated game of 2006.  Period.

It's the same thing over and over. Minor variations in the colossi, but basically they're all the same.

You spend more time wandering than fighting.

No story to speak of.  I'm killing these things to raise this chick?  Is it his Sister? Mother? Twin? Does she owe him money? Blah blah.

Most overrated game of 2006. Period.

1) your choice of most over-rated game of 2006 was actually released in 2005...
2) please do continue bashing the game at every opportunity - i'm sure there's some theraputic value still to be gotten, even after all this time smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 20, 2007, 09:37:21 PM »

Played the whole game.

Demon baby and all.

Made no sense whatsoever.

And yes the colossi were all largely the same. Some have long hair. Climb em. Stab em in the shiny part.

Some have arms to climb. Climb em. Stab em in the shiny part.

Some have shiny parts under their feet.  Dodge em and stab em in the shiny part.

Some have shiny parts in other places but a bunch have them on the top of their heads.  Stab em there.

Oh and the colossi's have NO WAY OF SHAKING YOU OFF OTHER THAN A FEW HEAD TWISTS! No grabs. No drop to the ground and roll over.  Nothing that would make you think that strategy had to be involved to beat them.

Yep, I'm bashing SoTC cause people are CRAYZAY in love with it and that to me is inexplicable!  retard retard retard
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 20, 2007, 09:49:59 PM »

I just picked it up last week and so far love it. 

16-bit and loving it!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 20, 2007, 09:55:03 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 20, 2007, 09:37:21 PM

Yep, I'm bashing SoTC cause people are CRAYZAY in love with it and that to me is inexplicable!  retard retard retard

relax, it's probably just something simple, like we're a little weird/fucked-up, & you're not - kinda like how i feel about people who like licorice, or chiwawahs...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 20, 2007, 10:55:13 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 20, 2007, 09:37:21 PM

Oh and the colossi's have NO WAY OF SHAKING YOU OFF OTHER THAN A FEW HEAD TWISTS! No grabs. No drop to the ground and roll over.  Nothing that would make you think that strategy had to be involved to beat them.

Well, what other options do the large colossi have?  You really think as massive as many of the colossi are they could be nimble and agile enough to roll around on the ground?  You're taking down HUGE, IMMENSE mountains.  Shaq has a hard enough time rolling on the ground, man, come on.

One colossi tried to bash you into a wall.  A few had projectiles.  One flowed with electricity.  One chased you.  A couple of them flew.  One is scared of fire.  One had you directing where it went.  A couple were under-water.

It wasn't the same strategy for each colossi.  I think your hatred for the game is making your memory fuzzy.

I mean, if you're going to bash it, bash it for legitimate reasons.  You're coming across as mis-informed and somewhat delusional :/

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 20, 2007, 11:27:30 PM »

NO YOU ARE!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 21, 2007, 12:14:41 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 20, 2007, 10:55:13 PM

It wasn't the same strategy for each colossi.  I think your hatred for the game is making your memory fuzzy.

I mean, if you're going to bash it, bash it for legitimate reasons.  You're coming across as mis-informed and somewhat delusional :/

give it up now, bud - it's either that, or be prepared to do the same 2-step with him re: okami 6-9 months from now smile ...

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 21, 2007, 12:18:14 AM »

My kids got this as one of their gifts for Christmas.

I have only played through 2-3 Colossus (so far), but I have to say this is one of the most brilliant games I have played in a long time.  The presentation is unbelievable, the execution is solid, and the story line really has me interested.  I am savoring every moment of this game and don't want it to end, so I am doing like 1 colossus a week. ;-)

Just a fantastic game imo.  ATB sounds like the game murdered his pet hamster or something.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 12:21:02 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2007, 12:30:16 AM »

Whew, good thing it was a game of 2005 icon_wink
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2007, 12:42:27 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 21, 2007, 12:30:16 AM

icon_eek icon_lol

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2007, 01:32:39 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 21, 2007, 12:30:16 AM

Quote from: semiconscious on January 20, 2007, 09:19:38 PM

It's the same thing over and over. Minor variations in the colossi, but basically they're all the same.

You spend more time wandering than fighting.

No story to speak of.  I'm killing these things to raise this chick?  Is it his Sister? Mother? Twin? Does she owe him money? Blah blah.

1) your choice of most over-rated game of 2006 was actually released in 2005...
2) please do continue bashing the game at every opportunity - i'm sure there's some theraputic value still to be gotten, even after all this time smile ...

Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2007, 03:24:09 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 21, 2007, 01:32:39 AM

Tongue

Dammit, didn't realize there was a Page 5!!!! Tongue
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2007, 04:39:55 AM »

I find it amusing that ATB is the one who missed the wonderful symbolism of the story.

I simply cannot understand how you can complain that all the collosi were the same.  Did you miss this one?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2007, 10:07:58 AM »

I like the wandering in this game, even though I'm a big fan of good pacing in games.  The thing is, the wandering really wasn't ever wandering considering that you always know which way is the next colosssus located.  And you got to see some very well designed landscapes with what limited polycount the SotC team had to use.

Also, each colossus is not the same thing, and yet it is.  If you go in with a action/adventure zelda style game in mind, you'll be disapointed by how simple the combat is.  However, if you go in with a more adventure/puzzle mentology, then you can really appreciate the game.

As with puzzle games, story doesn't mean as much but it's there and it's a heartfelt story.  It's a very minimalist story, and by the end you understand it.  In fact, it leaves a lot to imagination what the relationship is between the hero and the girl.  They don't press on to you a soppy love story or yet another generic tragic knight saves princess story.  Instead, you get enough story to know that there's magic in this world, the long travelling sequence at the beginning shows how far the knight has travelled and how experienced he is, and hints at how far he is willing to travel to save her.  Little things like him already having acquired the sword shows that he has been on adventures.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2007, 05:34:24 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on January 21, 2007, 12:14:41 AM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 20, 2007, 10:55:13 PM

give it up now, bud - it's either that, or be prepared to do the same 2-step with him re: okami 6-9 months from now smile ...

Totally different. I wanted to like OKAMI in a bad way, but just couldn't. It just didn't grab me.  I won't bash it however.  It was a fine and interesting  game that just didnt' click with me.

SoTC:

From may in my attempt to ascertain if the game got any different:

Quote from: ATB
So, admittedly, the first few times you see a colossus, it's impressive.  I've done away with 6...but it's now just repetition. Find the proper way to climb on, stab the weak spot, repeat.

I have a feeling there is a plot twist coming (NO SPOILERS PLEASE) and am trying to be patient.

Does the formula change at all?  Is there more story development? Character development?

I mean, he's killing these beautiful creatures to raise some chick from the dead.  Whatever, right now I'm siding with the colossi.   

Tell me that's not the formula every time?  And there was no plot twist.

Followed by: 

Liars!

The very next two colossi were vastly different.

minor colossi spoiler locations:

One was underwater and the other was in an arena.

Zounds!

The underwater one was awesome.

End minor spoilers.

Yippee!

So again was trying to like the game.

4 days later after I finished it:

I shall draw my fair share of hatred for this, but: Shadow of the Colossus is by far the most over rated game I've played since Chronicles of Riddick. I'm on the last Colossus and cannot wait for this game to be over. 

Things I don't like:

The horse controls (so unresponsive, static and aggravating)
The horse
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm glad it died. True the death was compelling and even moving, but man I hated that horse
The way the kid runs- what's that about?
They way there's no story to speak of (at least not yet, 15/16 into the game)
The way you spend more time looking for the colossi than you do fighting them
The camera (not a big problem but occaisionally quite frustrating)
The repetitiveness of the battles (some are brilliant, most are far too similar)
The lackluster AI, rather the lack of any AI.  The colossi behavior is entirely forumulaic:

Spoiler for Hiden:
You're telling me that when a little peanut sized dude is climbing on top of a colossus stabbing it in its most sensitive of areas, all it's gonna do is shake? Why no grabs with the hands?  Why not just fall down and crush it under its weight? This would make for interesting game play...you have to swing out of the way or jump off just in time....I mean even the giant in PoP: WW made grabs at you that you had to duck...edit. May have been PoP:TT...

The game is very short (which is saying something coming from me).  However, this is a good thing as it is an agony to me to play it. Well, maybe not an agony...

and most of all:

It's far too easy.  Once you have figured out the colossi behavior or easily ascertained the rudimentary environmentally based strategic advantages, the battles are almost always one two three done.  Also, the hints from the 'light being' are annoying too. Several times I was just on the cusp of figuring out what to do- perhaps off by my location a step or two or in the process of panning the camera to see where to go, and the hint comes in and spills it all.  How about this in the eventual sequel: You have to find special....rocks or flowers or something.  If you're in a battle and you have no idea how to kill the thing, you offer up one of the flowers in exchange for a hint...that way you only get as many hints as flower rocks you find and only WHEN YOU WANT THEM. I couldn't find a way to turn them off. 

As it sits right now, I give SotC a C+. If there's an amazing ending it might get a B-.

The Colossi for the most part are incredibly well animated and the scale is done exceedingly well.  But man is it humdrum and I don't know why it has so taken everyone by storm.

Tell me anything in that post is inaccurate. Anything. Especially that 2nd spoiler.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 05:36:09 PM by ATB » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2007, 05:39:22 PM »

Oh and you check the whole thread for other 'haters' too:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,12951.0.html
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2007, 06:37:18 PM »

Neat!

Spoiler for Hiden:
If you didn't have watery eyes when Agro fell down, launching you to safety by sacrificing himself, you have no heart.  That connection alone justifies a somewhat decent "story", if you will.

And a C+ is a pretty good score for a game you have so much hatred for.  B- if it had an amazing ending, too (and how the f could you say the ending wasn't amazing!?)!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2007, 08:25:34 PM »

I still love the game, but then I never had problems with the camera or the controls. I only glaring flaw, for me, was the erratic frame rates due to the PS2's hardware, but even then it wasn't a deal breaker.

I had no expectations going into the game. And the game that was presented - which does have more variety than I think ATB will give it credit for - worked for me. I enjoyed the gameplay that was offered, a lot. It entertained me. I wanted to play more. And in the end, I had a great time playing it.

ATB's not the only one who hated it, and I'm not the only one who loved it.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 21, 2007, 08:43:35 PM »

Considering I was paid $15 to own it, I cannot find any flaws.   saywhat

EBGames sent me a copy, it broke loose inside the case and scratched it to hell and back.  I called and bitched, they sent me a second copy for free and told me to keep the other one or do whatever I want with it.   So I sold the scratched one for $15 on Amazon, listed it as "Scratched to hell, but still works perfect".

Anyway, I love the game, even reports of it being short don't bug me, because I love shorter games.  10 hours on a console game can take me 2-3 weeks to pass!

unbreakable
« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2007, 04:25:13 AM »

I heard this game compared to Zelda, so I'll probably pick it up.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2007, 05:18:15 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 22, 2007, 04:25:13 AM

I heard this game compared to Zelda, so I'll probably pick it up.

Well, the best Zelda comparison would be a game comprised of nothing but Zelda bosses with the overworld present but completely empty of content. 
unbreakable
« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2007, 05:23:39 PM »

So there is nothing to do in the world except fight the boss?  That kind of takes the fun out of exploration.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 22, 2007, 05:25:27 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 22, 2007, 05:23:39 PM

So there is nothing to do in the world except fight the boss?  That kind of takes the fun out of exploration.

Pretty much.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2007, 07:17:16 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 22, 2007, 05:23:39 PM

I would not compare it to Zelda. At all. The game is a twisted platformer/puzzler, where the platforms and the puzzles are big freaking monsters. These aren't boss fights in the traditional sense. Seriously, they're more like mobile levels. There's no dungeons. No items. No overworld. It's just one, big, expansive landscape dotted with a variety of giants to take down.

For anyone on the fence about the game, I'd say rent it. Get three, four Colossi in, and by then you'll know if you enjoy the game or not and choose to keep playing or send it back. Either way, it'd be cheaper to rent the game for two weekends and beat it than to buy the game (I think?), so it's win-win.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2007, 07:40:37 PM »

UB - it's a game of exploration with 16 boss battles and nothing else in between. The story kicks in big time after the 8th colossus and again after I think either 12 or 13. Personally, I thought it was a fantastic game and the 20+ minute finale was emotionally excellent. But yes, the camera controls and the horse controls doth sucketh mightily.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: