http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 06:20:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone still hyped for Shadow of the Colossus?  (Read 19616 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2006, 02:04:16 PM »

Quote from: "JLu"
but I loathe boss battles, and I forsaw a game of entirely boss battles...

Definitely boss battles and nothing but boss battles. But I remember games like Alien Soldier (Genesis - Treasure) that was the same way more or less - 90% boss fights. Heck - the best way to put SotC is all the best bosses from any shooter you've played over the years all thrown into one game.

Quote from: "Dafones"
I still would recommend the hell out of the game, and only wish that it had been released on something a little more powerful.

Yeah, the PS2 just wasn't the platform to put a game like this on. It just couldn't do what the developers wanted it to do. However, the programming routines they did use were amazing, as the graphical quality and details are second to none.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2006, 03:08:38 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
It will be forgotten.

:lol:

No, no it won't.  It's the sheer definition of how cinematic, moving and unique gaming has become this console-generation.  I haven't played a game with nearly as much scope as this one manages to pull off.  It actually feels like you're traversing a real world...amazing.

Quote from: "ATB"
The first time I saw a Colossus I was -blown away-. Second time, yep!. 3rd. Still good. 4th ok. 5th...hmm 6th..ho hum 7th. meh 8th etc.

I thought there was enough colossi variance to make nearly every battle unique.  There were a couple of "oh hey, this one again" colossi, but I can distinctly remember quite a few of the battles to this day...

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2006, 03:15:31 PM »

It actually feels like you're traversing a real world...amazing.

Now that is actually a very good point.  You're absolutely right. It did a great job of making you believe you were but a small piece to a giant world and it should get kudos for that. Definitely.

But, btw, did I mention that one of my complaints was you spend more time looking for the Colossi than you do battling them? slywink frown
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2006, 03:19:28 PM »

OK, I see the red 'PS2 Greatest Hits' bar on the top of the box, yet it's still listed as $39.99 on both Gamestop and EBGames.  WTF?   Did they raise the price of the Greatest Hits?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2006, 03:25:55 PM »

Yeah, I've got an Xbox game that isn't backwards compatible that I picked up used that I want to trade for a used copy of SotC - but the website gives that price frown  I may swing by a b&m GStop and whine until I am able to trade for it biggrin

I liked looking for the colossi!  However...there was one...I think it was the 14th...wow, it took me forever to find that one.

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2006, 05:37:14 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
It will be forgotten.

:lol:

No, no it won't.  It's the sheer definition of how cinematic, moving and unique gaming has become this console-generation.  I haven't played a game with nearly as much scope as this one manages to pull off.  It actually feels like you're traversing a real world...amazing.

Sure it will.  10 years from now very few people will fire it up and play it.  Like I said before, it isnt the pinnacle of console gaming.  It isnt a Mario or a  Zelda or a Final Fantasy.  The story, what little there is, is forgettable.  Sure you'll remember some of the colossi but hey, if you loved this game so much why did you trade it in anyway?

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2006, 10:33:12 PM »

I always trade my games in!  You know that!

There is little story, I agree, but it's hardly forgettable.  It had one of the most badass endings I've played in a video game.

And the music only added to how epic the whole game felt.  

SotC...we will never forget.

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: July 26, 2006, 06:32:59 AM »

I always trade my games in!  You know that!

There is little story, I agree, but it's hardly forgettable.  It had one of the most badass endings I've played in a video game.

And the music only added to how epic the whole game felt.  

SotC...we will never forget.

You're right, I just enjoy seeing you get worked up slywink

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 26, 2006, 12:37:16 PM »

It had one of the most badass endings I've played in a video game

Whuh?!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2006, 02:43:07 PM »

It had one of the most badass endings I've played in a video game

Whuh?!

I'd say it was a pretty cool ending too.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2006, 03:08:21 PM »

Perhaps it's because I'm not familiar with ico, but...

Spoiler for Hiden:

So the mage guy casts a spell that rocks the whole joint.  The protagonist is sucked into the goop and the bridge collapses.

After the credits demon baby (the protagonist in new form) makes an appearance and the girl takes him and the horse to the top of the temple to live happily ever after.

An oversimplification, but what's so cool?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2006, 03:17:49 PM »

How about the fact that...

Spoiler for Hiden:
You just didn't sit there, watching the ending...you actually controlled your character, essentially the super evil demon (or whatever...it's been awhile folks).  I was seriously fighting the void for about 5 minutes!  It was just super...artsy.  It was a fantastic ending.

It was a poignant and beautiful ending.

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2006, 04:28:57 PM »

How about the fact that...

Spoiler for Hiden:
You just didn't sit there, watching the ending...you actually controlled your character, essentially the super evil demon (or whatever...it's been awhile folks).  I was seriously fighting the void for about 5 minutes!  It was just super...artsy.  It was a fantastic ending.

Spoiler for Hiden:
But there was absolutely nothign you could to change the fact that he got sucked in. i realized this and gave up after about a minute.  Different strokes.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2006, 10:10:02 PM »

If you weren't moved by the characters during the game, then you won't be moved by the ending.  Personally everything about that game was emotionally charged for me.  Fighting those creatures was almost a dilemma at first - for instance the guy who was just lounging around, hanging out enjoying the sun on top of that huge plateau.  Then all of the sudden I come along and start stabbing him in the head.  

It's a vastly different type of game than anything I ever encountered before.  I don't know any other developer who would consider making a huge, beautiful landscape, and refusing to fill it with anything but vastly-spaced giant creatures.  It strikes me as a backwards idea, but it totally worked for me in every part.  

I guess it's the difference between enjoying a movie like this vs. some Hollywood blockbuster.  They can both work, but for totally different reasons.  (That is a fantastic film, btw).  I can certainly see that the pure gameplay elements had some negatives associated with them but overall it definitely falls into the category of games I would put forward if someone ever challenged me on the "games as art" question.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 27, 2006, 12:04:45 AM »

Quote from: "kathode"
If you weren't moved by the characters during the game, then you won't be moved by the ending.  Personally everything about that game was emotionally charged for me.  Fighting those creatures was almost a dilemma at first - for instance the guy who was just lounging around, hanging out enjoying the sun on top of that huge plateau.  Then all of the sudden I come along and start stabbing him in the head.  

It's a vastly different type of game than anything I ever encountered before.  I don't know any other developer who would consider making a huge, beautiful landscape, and refusing to fill it with anything but vastly-spaced giant creatures.  It strikes me as a backwards idea, but it totally worked for me in every part.  

I guess it's the difference between enjoying a movie like this vs. some Hollywood blockbuster.  They can both work, but for totally different reasons.  (That is a fantastic film, btw).  I can certainly see that the pure gameplay elements had some negatives associated with them but overall it definitely falls into the category of games I would put forward if someone ever challenged me on the "games as art" question.

(Well said!)

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 27, 2006, 12:26:42 AM »

wtf that baby picture is nutty

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 27, 2006, 12:30:43 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
wtf that baby picture is nutty

Yet amazingly appropriate. bravo!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 27, 2006, 12:51:12 PM »

I think it's quite...and the background reminds me of a certain colossus slywink

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: July 27, 2006, 02:24:39 PM »

I think it's quite...and the background reminds me of a certain colossus slywink

If we are thinking of the same one, that was the worst colossi fight IMO.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 27, 2006, 02:28:11 PM »

If we are thinking of the same one, that was the worst colossi fight IMO.

I'm blanking. Which one?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 27, 2006, 08:06:58 PM »

GEYSER!

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 27, 2006, 08:38:00 PM »

GEYSER!

Spoiler for Hiden:

In the desert where you have to have the geysers knock the dude over?

If so, this perfectly ties into one of my problems with the game.  The puzzle element- determining how to best whip the colossi- is too simple.  I mentioned in my write up of it some time ago that the game should allow you to turn off the hints if you like...or give you a system for earning hints.  The geyser colossus was one of the easier ones to figure out---though not necessarily execute...

One of the brilliant ones is where you have to figure out that the guy needs to slam down on that concrete plate to shatter its armor.  That was amazing.

Others, I was just on the cusp of figuring out what to do and the voice tells me. Gah! Not enough  sense of discovery in the battles, imo
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 27, 2006, 08:45:55 PM »

Yeah, I will agree that I found the hints a little overkill on a few of the Colossi. That would be my biggest complaint.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: July 28, 2006, 12:43:39 AM »

GEYSER!

Spoiler for Hiden:

In the desert where you have to have the geysers knock the dude over?

If so, this perfectly ties into one of my problems with the game.  The puzzle element- determining how to best whip the colossi- is too simple.  I mentioned in my write up of it some time ago that the game should allow you to turn off the hints if you like...or give you a system for earning hints.  The geyser colossus was one of the easier ones to figure out---though not necessarily execute...

One of the brilliant ones is where you have to figure out that the guy needs to slam down on that concrete plate to shatter its armor.  That was amazing.

Others, I was just on the cusp of figuring out what to do and the voice tells me. Gah! Not enough  sense of discovery in the battles, imo

Easy to figure out yes, though a combination of control issues, camera issues, and strange AI patterns made it a terrorist of a bitch to conquer.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2007, 06:59:28 AM »

So, I grabbed a used copy tonight and played for about 90 minutes.  Actually, I spent 60 of those minutes fighting the controls and the final 30 playing around with the first Colossi while still fighting the controls.  Definitely not my thing  icon_frown -  I'm going to see if I can return it tomorrow at EB.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: January 20, 2007, 07:36:01 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 20, 2007, 06:59:28 AM

So, I grabbed a used copy tonight and played for about 90 minutes.  Actually, I spent 60 of those minutes fighting the controls and the final 30 playing around with the first Colossi while still fighting the controls.  Definitely not my thing  icon_frown -  I'm going to see if I can return it tomorrow at EB.

If it's used I'm pretty sure you have 7 days to return it for any reason whatsoever.  I guess this might not be one I pick up after I've caught up on my previous PS2 purchases. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2007, 08:20:28 AM »

I heard they were making a sequel for the PS3.  I'm anxious to see what kind of amazing colossi they'll make for that using next gen hardware.

But more importantly, I want to see the colossi take a more active role in dealing with you, things like reaching to knock you off, grabbing, etc...  Turn it into as much an action adventure/puzzle like Zelda.  The tilting controller can be used to great effect where players try to balance on the colossus by tilting the controller.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2007, 09:55:36 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 20, 2007, 08:20:28 AM

I heard they were making a sequel for the PS3.  I'm anxious to see what kind of amazing colossi they'll make for that using next gen hardware.

The moment this rumor becomes reality is the moment I purchase a PS3.

MGS4 + SOTC2 = justification

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2007, 11:49:28 AM »

Yep. It sucks.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2007, 02:57:28 PM »

It is also my primary complaint. Once you get onto the collosi the camera is well behaved, but prior to that...*shakes head*

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2007, 03:14:51 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 20, 2007, 11:49:28 AM

Yep. It sucks.

All I can say is that you are both wrong.   icon_biggrin

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 20, 2007, 03:34:15 PM »

This was my reaction too.  Fighting the camera & controls more than the Colossi does not make for a fun game.  I got up to the fourth one, then it simply became too frustrating.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 20, 2007, 04:58:35 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 20, 2007, 03:34:15 PM

This was my reaction too.  Fighting the camera & controls more than the Colossi does not make for a fun game.  I got up to the fourth one, then it simply became too frustrating.

+1. That is how I felt, except add on to that the fact that I was too inept to take down the first Colossus. Yeah, that was fun.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 20, 2007, 05:17:46 PM »

y'know, if anyone has any theories as to how someone with as mediocre gaming skills as myself ended up having a ball with this game, i'd be very interested - seriously...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: January 20, 2007, 05:23:15 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on January 20, 2007, 05:17:46 PM

y'know, if anyone has any theories as to how someone with as mediocre gaming skills as myself ended up having a ball with this game, i'd be very interested - seriously...
I think honestly you get the hang of it after the first one.  Because then it's more of a puzzle then issues with the controls.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 20, 2007, 05:24:56 PM »

Amazing game.  A true masterpiece.  Loving the second go-around on hard!  Controls work great for me.

And if you think about it, if you're demanding a perfect camera in a game where you're fighting massive moving mountains; you're asking for something that can't really happen.  And what else do you want?  You can MOVE the camera, you can ZOOM in on the colossi (like a z-targeting system [and nobody complains about Zelda's camera]), and you can auto-center the camera.  What more do you want!?  Want it to move with your MIND!?  Get a Segway!

Gratch!  You were on the 4th one!?  Maaaan, the 5th one would have blown your mind biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 20, 2007, 05:26:04 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on January 20, 2007, 05:17:46 PM

Hey, ditto!  I heard about how each boss had a different puzzle, and that is definitely not my thing.  But taking down a colossi is exhilarating and the game is jaw-droppingly beautiful.  I think we just appreciate art, that's all biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 20, 2007, 05:38:45 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 20, 2007, 05:24:56 PM

Amazing game.  A true masterpiece.  Loving the second go-around on hard!  Controls work great for me.

And if you think about it, if you're demanding a perfect camera in a game where you're fighting massive moving mountains; you're asking for something that can't really happen.  And what else do you want?  You can MOVE the camera, you can ZOOM in on the colossi (like a z-targeting system [and nobody complains about Zelda's camera]), and you can auto-center the camera.  What more do you want!?  Want it to move with your MIND!?  Get a Segway!

Gratch!  You were on the 4th one!?  Maaaan, the 5th one would have blown your mind biggrin

Not asking for a perfect camera, as I know there's no such thing.  However, I felt like I was constantly fighting the camera in order to see what the hell I was doing.  I'm all for a good challenge or puzzle, but when the camera alone becomes the main source of frustration, it's time to find a different game.

FWIW, I completely appreciate what they were trying to do with the game, and I really wanted to like it.  Just didn't work for me.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 20, 2007, 06:42:33 PM »

I played the first level and had some trouble with the controls. It seemed pretty cool but it didn't grab me and it was a bit frustrating so I set it aside. I do plan to go back and give it another shot, maybe when the PS2 component cables that I ordered from Amazon get here next week.

However, ATB, you are a stone-cold gooseneck turkey for saying "It sucks." If it ain't your bag, that's cool, baby. But one look at the game, or the opening menu, or hell, the cover art and anyone can tell this game does not *suck*. That's just ridiculous horse puckey.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 06:44:17 PM by rrmorton » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 20, 2007, 07:51:28 PM »

Most overrated game of 2006.  Period.

It's the same thing over and over. Minor variations in the colossi, but basically they're all the same.

You spend more time wandering than fighting.

No story to speak of.  I'm killing these things to raise this chick?  Is it his Sister? Mother? Twin? Does she owe him money? Blah blah.

Most overrated game of 2006. Period.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: