http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 11:50:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone still hyped for Shadow of the Colossus?  (Read 19812 times)
CrayolaSmoker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2006, 12:41:43 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Wound up getting sick today so I came home earlier this afternoon. Took down numbers four, five, and six. Currently working on numero seven right now and it's a bugger of a tricky one. Each one is indeed a completely different challenge in its own right, which is part of what's making the game so cool. That goddamn camera though makes me want to strangle the developers.

Well hell, if you're gonna burn through the game I may need to borrow it sooner than I planned.  :wink:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2006, 03:30:20 AM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Wound up getting sick today so I came home earlier this afternoon. Took down numbers four, five, and six. Currently working on numero seven right now and it's a bugger of a tricky one. Each one is indeed a completely different challenge in its own right, which is part of what's making the game so cool. That goddamn camera though makes me want to strangle the developers.

Well hell, if you're gonna burn through the game I may need to borrow it sooner than I planned.  :wink:

biggrin

No worries there. I'm currently on number 11 which is a bitch. Good thing there were two hours of LOST to take my mind off it. I did pick up DQVIII the other day with some store credit, and I'm dying to jump into that. As for Shadow, I think overall it is a wonderous world and story (yes, story) with some borderline fatal design flaws. I can't wait to see what the other colossi are like.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2006, 04:37:08 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Just wait Whiteboyskim, just you wait. This game was/is a masterpiece in both design, art direction and user interface. All that needed some fixing was control and camera, but overall it's a freaking amazing game.

Gorgeous to the end, not many games are as capable of attaching themselves to you without saying more than "Aggro.."

Personally, I think the user interface sucks ass but I thought the same thing about Ico. What I hated about Ico was they forced combat into a game in such a way that it was more difficult than necessary. I'm already terrified of taking on a colossus from horseback.

I found fighting in ICO extremely easy (you have NO health) I enjoyed the fact that you didn't have to worry about how many times you got knocked down, as long as you protect her....but maybe that was just me.

The camera in SOTC was annoying at times, but overall it wasn't that bad to me.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2006, 05:14:53 AM »

Getting knocked down was just the same in Ico as it is in Shadow. You get thrown to the ground, and there you stay for five seconds to give a sense of "realism." Meanwhile, the colossi or the shadows continue to kick your ass or steal the ghost girl and the only thing you can do is scream at the tv, "WHY GOD? WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME OHNOS!?!?!?!?"

In short, it may sound realistic on paper, but in practice it is a stupid, stupid thing to put into games like these.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2006, 04:51:33 PM »

I  can understand how it can be frustrating.  But to me, I enjoyed the fact that it was stripped down and simple...it's either a game where you worry about getting your large inventory, leveling up, gaining health..ect.  or a game that you just have to worry about getting pushed down and getting back up in time.  

I  dont know, I understand your point (cause you obviously don't want to loose) but I would of been more annoyed if you had a health meter in ICO when all you had as a weapon is a stick.

I hope they soon make another..but I hope its not a sequel to either..I think it would kill the mystery if they tried that.  I like the fact that they have similar subjects and possible links, but totally different.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2006, 11:03:50 PM »

Finished it. Hell of an ending but kinda... weird at the end of it. I think it's funny that the ending movie is 20 minutes long and tells way more of the story than you get through the rest of the game. Oh, and I want to burninate the developers for the camera. If not for that goddamn camera, I'd have finished the final colossus in less than the hour it took me. Why? Because that camera kept swinging around, reversing angles and along with it my character's position kept changing. Fucking ridiculous, plain and simple. Wonderful game, but good night nurse screw that camera!

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2006, 11:15:24 PM »

Loved that last colossus biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2006, 11:51:09 PM »

BTW, it's kind of fun to start a new game after clearning it and do the time attack challenges for each colossi - you get to warp straight to them (simply kneel + pray at their statues), and you earn some cool items for every few colossi whose time you beat.

The only bummer is that while your stamina level from the previous game carries over, you get a set amount of stamina while doing the time attack challenges.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2006, 12:15:51 AM »

Oh, and I want to burninate the developers for the camera. If not for that goddamn camera, I'd have finished the final colossus in less than the hour it took me. Why? Because that camera kept swinging around, reversing angles and along with it my character's position kept changing. Fucking ridiculous, plain and simple. Wonderful game, but good night nurse screw that camera!

i think themissinglink said it best earlier in this thread:

"You know, I was fighting the camera a little bit tonight and I was thinking about it...it's impossible, with a game like this, to have a perfect camera. I mean, how would that work? I don't know! Never had a game where I've fought HUGE HUGE things like this. But I think, all-in-all, it's handled well."

when you've got a camera pursuing a moving character climbing around on another moving (& massive) character, problems are gonna crop up, eh? (of course, if you can recommend a game that manages to pull off the same type battles even better, i'd be interested smile )...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2006, 02:26:55 AM »

Finished it. Hell of an ending but kinda... weird at the end of it. I think it's funny that the ending movie is 20 minutes long and tells way more of the story than you get through the rest of the game. Oh, and I want to burninate the developers for the camera. If not for that goddamn camera, I'd have finished the final colossus in less than the hour it took me. Why? Because that camera kept swinging around, reversing angles and along with it my character's position kept changing. Fucking ridiculous, plain and simple. Wonderful game, but good night nurse screw that camera!

I didn't care to slog through another four pages of very old posts where you may have answered this question, but ... have you played ICO, WBS?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2006, 02:31:07 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"

I didn't care to slog through another four pages of very old posts where you may have answered this question, but ... have you played ICO, WBS?

Yes I have. A lot of the problems I had with Ico (including the camera) I actually have with Shadow. Between the two I think Shadow was the better game overall.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2006, 02:38:07 AM »

Finished it. Hell of an ending but kinda... weird at the end of it. I think it's funny that the ending movie is 20 minutes long and tells way more of the story than you get through the rest of the game.

This should've been what I quoted. It's what I meant to ask about. Just wondering if you picked up on the very ambiguous connection that arrises between the two games at the end of SotC, the timelines, the characters. The top of the shrine.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2006, 03:16:49 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Finished it. Hell of an ending but kinda... weird at the end of it. I think it's funny that the ending movie is 20 minutes long and tells way more of the story than you get through the rest of the game.

This should've been what I quoted. It's what I meant to ask about. Just wondering if you picked up on the very ambiguous connection that arrises between the two games at the end of SotC, the timelines, the characters. The top of the shrine.

Maybe. Put what you're thinking in the spoiler tag as I don't think I quite made the connection you're looking for.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2006, 08:44:25 AM »

Uh...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Geez, I remember we had all sorts of other thoughts/theories/nonsense in another thread a few months back. But basically it boiled down to the notion that SotC was a prequel of sorts to Ico. That the main character from SotC had been corrupted by the greater evil power in the game, and his horned rebirth reflected that. And that he was likely some sort of ancestor to Ico ... but not related by blood. He was the first of ... whatever the hell the horned boys represented. But this may be a given. I don't know. Maybe I'll try to drudge up that other thread.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2006, 10:01:34 AM »

That other thread was really cool - lots of nice theories and stuff were floating around in there.  As far as what I have to contribute...

Spoiler for Hiden:
If I recall correctly, I had heard that the Princess was essentially the "mother" of evil...well, not sure if that's right, but she was significant in the timeline of SOTC and Ico.  Right after I beat it I really looked into the significance between the two games, but I totally forget now...I know there was a really interesting thread on GAF about this, too.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2006, 10:09:11 PM »

There was an interview with SotC creator on IGN yesterday (I couldn't come up with the link after a quick search), but he kind of debunked both of the theories by claiming that it is a spiritual successor to Ico only - no story elements were really intended to be spread across both.

It was also interesting that they created a little 3 minute demo using the existing Ico engine to sell the producers on the concept of the game, which almost sounded like the original reason horns/shadows/etc. made it into SotC.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2006, 12:27:51 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
There was an interview with SotC creator on IGN yesterday (I couldn't come up with the link after a quick search), but he kind of debunked both of the theories by claiming that it is a spiritual successor to Ico only - no story elements were really intended to be spread across both.

That rubs me the wrong way, somehow. If there's no shared story/world/mythology elements, then don't give us that crazy surreal and ambiguous ending in SotC. How did they expect gamers/insane fanboys to take it?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2006, 04:08:50 PM »

Why didn't you guys tell me this game was so awesome (except for the camera and horse control)?

I just started playing yesterday and had to force myself to stop after the 6th colossus went down. Loving it!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2006, 04:40:56 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Why didn't you guys tell me this game was so awesome (except for the camera and horse control)?

I just started playing yesterday and had to force myself to stop after the 6th colossus went down. Loving it!

d'oh!...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2006, 01:03:16 AM »

Didn't the five pages of posts tell you anything? biggrin

Absolutely outstanding game. Definitely one of the best on the PS2, period.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2006, 09:45:43 PM »

Well, you cheap-skates and fence-riders can now get your Colossus-on; it would seem that Shadow of the Colossus has gone ugly red bar and become a GREATEST HITS game.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=281345

Uhhhhh...let's drop the price now, guys.  A used copy of the game has been eyein' me for the last month now, and I've patiently been waiting for it to price drop to play through this masterpiece again biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2006, 10:29:11 PM »

I hate you. I thought I was the Destroyer of Threads with this post, and you had to go and ruin it. biggrin

On a more serious note: It's about time this excellent game gets a bit more notice in the gaming world.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2006, 11:47:59 PM »

Muaaahaha!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2006, 12:45:33 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
I hate you. I thought I was the Destroyer of Threads with this post, and you had to go and ruin it. biggrin

On a more serious note: It's about time this excellent game gets a bit more notice in the gaming world.

It did win the grand prize at the Game Developers' Choice Awards, didn't it?  By the way, I just received my copy back from a friend that I loaned it to months ago and I just beat the 5th colossus.  Awesome.  Flying around on that thing rocks.  

This is a great game and anybody reading this thread who has a PS2 and hasn't played this game should go get it right now.  Wal Mart is open 24 hours.

xbox live: nude rick james
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2006, 01:09:25 AM »

The 5th was definitely a highlight, along with the 10th and 13th.

Oh man, can't wait to go through this one again biggrin biggrin biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2006, 01:27:22 AM »

SO O-VER-RA-TED.

A gross dissapointment based on the hype.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2006, 01:43:45 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
The 5th was definitely a highlight, along with the 10th and 13th.

Oh man, can't wait to go through this one again biggrin biggrin biggrin

Just those three? I thought all of the colossui (colossuses?) were the highlight of this game.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2006, 02:07:53 AM »

Those three colossi were the HIGHLIGHTS of the colossi, for me, rather.

I loved taking on the colossi, but I enjoyed checking the whole world out, too.  It was gorgeous.  I spent as much time battling the colossi as I did roaming around the world, finding fruit in the trees, discovering new areas, slaying lizards... Tongue

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2006, 02:22:58 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"
SO O-VER-RA-TED.

Said the guy who:

- Wasn't able to get into God of War.

- Loves KotOR.

- Put MGS3 "back on the shelf."

You're living in bizzaro-world, my friend.

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2006, 12:33:33 AM »

SO O-VER-RA-TED.

Said the guy who:

- Loves KotOR.

You're living in bizzaro-world, my friend.

Says the person that listens to Paris Hilton music.
/thread.

Seriously though, SotC is slightly overrated.  It is a good game but it isnt the pinnalce of console gaming as we know it.  It will be forgotten.  Dont get me wrong, I like SotC, I just think people praise it waaaaaaaaaaaaay too highly.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2006, 12:39:41 AM »

I tihnk the big deal about this one was that it was different... we get a lot of really good games, but we don't get very much different. I think the same goes for the Katamari games.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2006, 12:50:16 AM »

I tihnk the big deal about this one was that it was different... we get a lot of really good games, but we don't get very much different. I think the same goes for the Katamari games.

You know, that could be the reason why we all love this game. There's just nothing to compare it to.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2006, 01:18:25 AM »

- Put MGS3 "back on the shelf.".

Ahem, how many times did *you* put MGS3 "back on the shelf" again?  :wink:
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2006, 01:48:22 AM »

For 19.99, I may have to grab this one at some point. It seems like a no brainer at that price point.  Im suprised I held out against the forum effect as long as I have.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2006, 02:28:01 AM »

SO O-VER-RA-TED.

Said the guy who:

- Loves KotOR.

All good points that underly my excellent taste.   Let's go item by item:

- Wasn't able to get into God of War.:  Indeed.  Played through part of the first level and it didn't jive with me. However, it is one of the reasons I bought the PS2 to begin with. Time just wasn't right

- Loves KotOR.: No doubt. As does 95% of the rest of the world. Starshifter, disturbed by your lack of faith, has been dispatched to your house.

- Put MGS3 "back on the shelf.": Hot off the heals of MGS2 which is a masterpiece, I was not ready for the complete paradigm shift in gameplay and pacing.  I played through the first mission about a dozen times to get the hang of it and put it away- again temporarily.  Someone, in my thread,  said that the game doesn't pick up until after the first mission so my initial malaise was hardly misplaced.  

Nice Avatar.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 25, 2006, 02:32:04 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

You know, that could be the reason why we all love this game. There's just nothing to compare it to.

I agree completely. It was magnificently different until the 4th Colossi or so.  Then it was the same thing from then on.

The first time I saw a Colossus I was -blown away-.  Second time,  yep!. 3rd. Still good. 4th ok. 5th...hmm 6th..ho hum 7th. meh 8th etc.

If there is a sequel or prequel or whatever and they flesh out a different variety of fights- not based on gimmicks, but on real variance- the game will be a surefire masterpiece.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2006, 02:56:31 AM »

I still would recommend the hell out of the game, and only wish that it had been released on something a little more powerful.

I think it's a game worth remembering.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
warning

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2006, 03:02:26 AM »

I tried twice to get into Ico.  First time I lasted about an hour and the second time I made it about 2 or so hours before I just became bored and frustrated.

Is there any chance I will like Shadow of the Colossus?
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2006, 03:41:57 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
I tried twice to get into Ico.  First time I lasted about an hour and the second time I made it about 2 or so hours before I just became bored and frustrated.

Is there any chance I will like Shadow of the Colossus?

YES!!!! I hated Ico, god I hated Ico.  But like I said before, I enjoyed SotC.

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 25, 2006, 12:24:01 PM »

The forum effect resulted in my renting SotC.  It might have been burnout from playing at the time, or the fact my 360 was 3 months old and I'd been primarily playing that, but the game didn't do much for me at all.  Granted I only gave it maybe an hour, found a Colossus (forget if I defeated it or not).  But it wasn't my cup of tea.  Not trying to be a hater; I can see where it'd be neat since it is pretty different -- but I loathe boss battles, and I forsaw a game of entirely boss battles...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: