http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 12:47:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone still hyped for Shadow of the Colossus?  (Read 19625 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2005, 10:26:53 PM »

Quote from: "Reed"
Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Quote from: "wonderpug"
Quote from: "mikeg"
But to be honest, part of feels kind of bad for killing them.  I mean afterall, what did they ever do to me?

I completely agree, I almost feel like I'm going around killing endangered species!

I thought this was by design.

I think it probably is, and they did a good job w/ it. The Colossus are very majestic (and just look at those eyes) and are typically sleeping and peaceful until you wake them up and start poking them full of holes, heh.

quite an accomplishment - hard to remember any boss battles (except maybe bowser?) where i've empathized as much with the bosses...

really delighted with the game so far - can't believe they've pulled off so much (occassional quirky camera aside) so well. definitely an experience to take in slowly & just kinda savor...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2005, 01:22:36 AM »

Just downed my first colossus after about a dozen tries.  I think it classifies as one of 'those' moments.  You know, the ones that when people ask 'Why do you game?', you can point to the sheer thrill of something like that and say 'That's why'.  I could never get into Ico, but SofC is nothing short of amazing.

The wonky camera is certainly a problem, though.  I died 6 times fighting that thing, and at least 3 of them were because the camera either obscured my view, or switched angles right as I was trying to do something.  Grrr...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2005, 02:03:14 AM »

Is the game boiling down to.......shining your sword to find where to go, riding your horse there, shining your sword at the colussus for it's weak spot, climbing on it and killing it.  
Repeat. ?

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2005, 03:30:25 AM »

Quote from: "Zekester"
Is the game boiling down to.......shining your sword to find where to go, riding your horse there, shining your sword at the colussus for it's weak spot, climbing on it and killing it.  
Repeat. ?

I suppose if the "climbing on it and killing it" wasn't incredibly fun and original, this game would be a real stinker.

I for one am blown away by the "climbing on it and killing it."

Come on, Zekester's inner child, get him to boss #3 and make him see how cool it is to just hold L1 for a good view and see the giant monster smashy smashy!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2005, 02:47:41 PM »

Quote from: "Zekester"
Repeat. ?

i would bet someone at sony said this when ueda first pitched it. &, to the extent that having sex boils down to a bit of tussling about, you'd both basically be right...

it's just that, in both instances, it's also kinda irrelevant, in a way smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2005, 09:24:56 PM »

Just took down number 6.  Number 5 was my fav so far.  Something about leaping onto a flying dragon-like gargantuan hawk thingie when he swoops in for an attack and then taking him down bit by bit all the while hanging on for dear life as he soars around flapping his wings and twirling upside down to throw you off.  

Wow. What a ride.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2005, 09:28:33 PM »

Ok, ok.......i'll just buy the damn game already!  :wink:

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2005, 10:43:02 PM »

IN!

(Jerks)

:wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2005, 01:19:50 AM »

Just took down number 6.  Number 5 was my fav so far.  Something about leaping onto a flying dragon-like gargantuan hawk thingie when he swoops in for an attack and then taking him down bit by bit all the while hanging on for dear life as he soars around flapping his wings and twirling upside down to throw you off.  

Wow. What a ride.

hehheh...

just took down #6 as well, & yeah, the flying one's definitely my pick of the litter, too - mind-bogglingly beautiful...

pass on this game at your own risk...

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2005, 01:36:31 AM »

So, I'm apparently an idiot.  How the &*#% do you get on #2?  I've shot about 50 arrows into the only spot I can see light coming out of (his feet), and it doesn't do anything.  Am I missing something blatantly obvious here?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2005, 01:40:28 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
So, I'm apparently an idiot.  How the &*#% do you get on #2?  I've shot about 50 arrows into the only spot I can see light coming out of (his feet), and it doesn't do anything.  Am I missing something blatantly obvious here?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Shoot an arrow into the bottom of one of his feet where it's glowing, then you can climb onto him.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2005, 02:01:50 AM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Quote from: "Gratch"

Spoiler for Hiden:
Shoot an arrow into the bottom of one of his feet where it's glowing, then you can climb onto him.

Hmmm, I tried that for about 15 minutes straight and it didnt' seem to have any effect.  Guess I'll try it again...

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2005, 08:28:54 AM »

Quote from: "shon"
Beat the first 4 collosi in about hour 30 minutes.

So unless the game becomes more difficult or it is harder to find the colussi(es,er,aeiou,sometimes y) it is shaping up to last about 2 to 3 hours at that rate?

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2005, 12:30:32 PM »

They get harder and longer.  I am on 10 and 9 took me quite awhile.  As for 10 I have tried for almost an hour to just figure out HOW to get on him.  Still have no clue.  Has killed me 10x.  If they ramp up like this it will get much harder indeed, but I agree it will not be over 10 hours I think.  Still glad I own it though.  Just so much wonder in the game.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2005, 12:43:09 PM »

Yesterday I picked up FEAR and Age of Empires 3. I plan on picking up Call of Duty 2 next week and Civ 4.  I want to play SotC and Fire Emblem as well...

ARG!

Sometimes there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2005, 04:29:57 PM »

I cant afford to buy all these games, DURN YOU ALL... say it stinks, pleasepleaseplease... lol

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2005, 05:06:25 PM »

Just so much wonder in the game.

okay,... remember the last great state-of-the-art game boss - the hydra in god of war? well, amp up both the 3-dimensional depth of the creature & the purely visceral qualities of that battle & that'll give you something of an idea of what battling a colossus feels like...

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2005, 06:54:34 PM »

They get harder and longer.  I am on 10 and 9 took me quite awhile.  As for 10 I have tried for almost an hour to just figure out HOW to get on him.  Still have no clue.  Has killed me 10x.  If they ramp up like this it will get much harder indeed, but I agree it will not be over 10 hours I think.  Still glad I own it though.  Just so much wonder in the game.

Good to hear!  You jerks are really tempting me to spend money on this game!  Hmm, maybe I can trade something in for it!

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2005, 07:40:24 PM »

It's awfully epic. I'm not sure if I'm going to really get into killing however many collisi and finishing the game, but hearing the music cresendo while I take down an absolutely massive beast has gotta be one of the best moments of gaming I've experienced.

TheMissingLink on PSN
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2005, 05:32:19 PM »

This game is so incredibly cool! Working on #12 right now which coincidentally may have been found in real life.
http://www.arkadysimkin.pl/infocus_eng.html

Watch the video at the bottom of the page.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2005, 06:08:19 PM »

Finally started the game last night ... and was actually getting a little frustrated with the controls. Then I got the hang of the horse - you steer the horse, you don't control the horse like in, say Ocarina of Time - and got a hang of the camera and aiming controls, and I'm enjoying the hell out of the game. It's going by too quickly! The camera can be wonky from time to time, and the game does have more slowdown than I would have liked, but it's not enough to make me stop. Not nearly enough. Truthfully though, I would have accepted a game slightly less pretty for the sake of framerates.

If there's one thing that I wish the devs had done differently, it would be that the jump button should have been the lower button, the, um, the X button, the one that calls/spurs your horse. I know riding the horse is an important part of the game, but maybe it would have been better if one of the triggers was the "horse" button, almost like a gas pedal. Oh, and for what it's worth, I love the grip button. I know some reviews found it odd to have it separate from jump, or not automatic, but it's so crucial to the gameplay, and knowing when to let go is so important, that I don't know how it could have been any other way. Plus, because it's the upper trigger button, it's almost like a tactile simulation of the game, since I almost feel like I'm gripping onto the beasts themselves, albeit vicariously through the controller.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2005, 07:41:12 PM »

A few more thoughts/observations:

First, as with the rest of you, I really sympathize for the colossi. Right from the moment I slew the first one, I felt for 'em. I especially felt sorry for #5 - Grampa Colossus, as I think of him.

Second, anyone noticed that you can chop at the lizards that run around the place, and pick up their tails? Anyone know what the hell that's about? I only ask because I found a lizard with a white tail, and I wonder if it's some obscure side quest for a bonus weapon where you have to catch 'em all.

Third, anyone notice that you can replay the fights by travelling to the bodies of the fallen colossi and pressing O (the light beam button)? It activates remembrance mode, or reminisce mode (something like that), where you basically fight any given colossus over again, but now with a sepia filter and old movie film scratches on screen. Makes it look like an old black and white monster movie. Kinda neat. I was just crawling over the remains of the first colossus, curious to see if anything did if fact remain - and found it out by accident.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2005, 07:59:10 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"

Third, anyone notice that you can replay the fights by travelling to the bodies of the fallen colossi and pressing O (the light beam button)? It activates remembrance mode, or reminisce mode (something like that), where you basically fight any given colossus over again, but now with a sepia filter and old movie film scratches on screen. Makes it look like an old black and white monster movie. Kinda neat. I was just crawling over the remains of the first colossus, curious to see if anything did if fact remain - and found it out by accident.

Wow that sounds very cool. I really want to like this game, just with the demo, I thought it controlled so poorly and I had no freaking clue what to do against that beast. Should I try it again?
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2005, 09:22:44 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Should I try it again?

Yes. The game is not perfect. I'm not sure if the flaws are from developer ambition, or from a dev cycle that was just a bit too short, but regardless of the cause, the game is not perfect, and it can be frustrating. If anything, it's a shame that an otherwise great game couldn't be uniformly polished. Despite the imperfections, though, the game is still amazingly engaging. It's so simple, like Ico was, yet it's so epic and so effective at the same time. It is so frighteningly compelling, and more than enough to renew my faith in video gaming.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2005, 09:55:20 PM »

I am only on the second boss but my annoyance factor is pretty high.  

Really the controls could use *a lot* of work.

Take using the bow for example.  Right after shooting my arrow I want to run to climb the colossus, makes sense right?  But even after you put away the bow the left thumb stick moves the camera for a few seconds, so you can't run right away...annoying.

The camera is a bitch in lots of other ways as well and basically makes me want to scream.  I don't like games where the toughness is due to design issues rather than gameplay.

I loved ICO so I will give it a bit more of a try but so far I am not really impressed.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2005, 10:06:29 PM »

Using the L1 key to turn the camera towards the colossus helps me bail out of most camera issues, especially when using the bow.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2005, 10:26:20 PM »

Farley, when I replayed the first colossus, I found that I'd gotten used to the controls much more. I think most of us have had to battle against the controls at the beginning, and I agree, they're not nearly as tight as I'd like. But you'll get the hang of it.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2005, 10:38:52 PM »

Second, anyone noticed that you can chop at the lizards that run around the place, and pick up their tails? Anyone know what the hell that's about? I only ask because I found a lizard with a white tail, and I wonder if it's some obscure side quest for a bonus weapon where you have to catch 'em all.

lizard tails (esp white) = more stamina (grip circle)
fruit (use bow) = more life (lifebar)

Quote from: "farley2k"
I am only on the second boss but my annoyance factor is pretty high.

not the greatest at action games, i've found the controls to be a bit irritating sometimes, but certainly no more than that - something i could say about psychonauts, killer 7, & a number of other games i've enjoyed. like wonderpug's example, the existing control scheme, intuitive or otherwise, has pretty much allowed me to do what i've needed to do pretty easily, & i'll be going after #11 shortly...

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2005, 11:47:02 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
lizard tails (esp white) = more stamina (grip circle)
fruit (use bow) = more life (lifebar)

Whaa? How does this work? Does it increase your maximum, or refill your life or stamina? And how'd you find that out anyway?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2005, 12:18:53 AM »

I've seen those lizards and I've shot arrows at 'em...I guess you gotta hit 'em with the sword, huh?

And the fruit I'm guessing is just hanging around in the trees?  Haven't seen any of that...

AND GOOD TO KNOW about the beach on light to replay collossi - was wondering how you went back to play them again (I really, REALLY enjoyed the third).

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2005, 02:55:05 AM »

Just took down number nine ...

Spoiler for Hiden:
... and it took me an hour, if not more. For the love of me I couldn't figure out what to do once I was clinging to his belly, and I spent the longest time crawling around looking for somewhere to go. Then I wondered if I'd be able to stay on top of him when he flipped back over, just for the hell of it, and the rest was history. He was actually quite easy once I was on top. Go figure. And I cheered when that grouchy cave bastard went down. Man he was a pain in the ass. Guess I'm only sympathetic to the guys who don't put up much of a fight. Wonder if I'll continue to feel the same way, as I'm sure the oncoming colossi become increasingly more difficult.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2005, 07:54:12 AM »

#4 has been taken down - took me awhile to figure it out!  Was trying something *entirely* different for the first 20 minutes or so biggrin

You know, I was fighting the camera a little bit tonight and I was thinking about it...it's impossible, with a game like this, to have a perfect camera.  I mean, how would that work?  I don't know!  Never had a game where I've fought HUGE HUGE things like this.  But I think, all-in-all, it's handled well.

I am really really liking this one more than I thought I would.

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2005, 11:44:18 AM »

Whaa? How does this work? Does it increase your maximum, or refill your life or stamina? And how'd you find that out anyway?

1) no, i'm not kidding
2) no idea
3) increases maximum of each
4) agro told me slywink ...

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
You know, I was fighting the camera a little bit tonight and I was thinking about it...it's impossible, with a game like this, to have a perfect camera. I mean, how would that work? I don't know! Never had a game where I've fought HUGE HUGE things like this. But I think, all-in-all, it's handled well.

very, very good point. i agree...

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2005, 04:45:15 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
... increases maximum of each ...

Really. Sounds like it's time to grab a piece of fruit or two. I think I must have maxed out my stamina, because I think the circle is actually bigger than when I started, but it doesn't seem to grow anymore. Life, on the other hand, is still sucker sized, I guess.

Oh, and I have to say that the camera worked fantastically for bosses nine and ten, which were both horse-riding heavy fights. Holding the left trigger to keep the camera on the colossi was a must, and steering the horse like a car was actually very natural. The bow's auto aim was a handy feature too.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2005, 06:32:15 PM »

I think I must have maxed out my stamina, because I think the circle is actually bigger than when I started, but it doesn't seem to grow anymore.

trust me, more lizard tails (esp the white ones near the temples) if the circle doesn't extend to at least below the lifebar - it really does help in those 'just one more charged attack' -type situations...

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2005, 07:52:09 PM »

My circle is below the life bar, and I don't think it's been moving anymore with more of mom's old fashioned lizard tail munchies, so I think it may be maxed out. I chop away at any lizard I come across though, so I guess it'll only continue to increase if it can. Still haven't found any of the fruit though.

He he, I just had to bring up something that had me howling last night in regards to the fight with colossus number ten (I think it was number ten):

Spoiler for Hiden:
As I was fighting the sand dune snake/tremors-type monster, I had to rest at the base of the stone pillars a few times (as I'm sure you guys did too) where I was safe. Watching the horse react to the colossus was priceless. All I'd hear was the horse whine off screen, then the poor bastard would bolt right past the screen so fast I couldn't follow his direction. I'd look, and he'd be gone. Then I'd hear him cry out again, and he'd whip by a second time. Then, after my health was full, I'd call him, but the sand worm would charge at me, smoke the horse, and the horse would charge off again into the distance. It was a pain in the ass, but funny as hell.

Man, that poor horse took a beating.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2005, 10:42:09 PM »

My circle is below the life bar, and I don't think it's been moving anymore with more of mom's old fashioned lizard tail munchies, so I think it may be maxed out. I chop away at any lizard I come across though, so I guess it'll only continue to increase if it can. Still haven't found any of the fruit though.

so you're saying my stamina would've been growing even without the tails?! damn! - getting some of those white-tailed ones has been as hard as bringing down a colossus! that aside, the fruit thing definitely works - my bar's almost twice the original size...

&, as for your spoiler:

Spoiler for Hiden:
that's the only time in the game my wife, who's been watching me play, has criticized my 'playing style', to the point where i started resting up at the cavern entrance so's agro would stop getting clobbered...

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2005, 11:52:08 PM »

Sorry, I meant that I've been chopping and eating(?) the lizard tails, and my stamina circle won't increase any more. So either I've maxed it out because of the tails, or it has increased on its own (though I think that the life bar has remained the same).

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2005, 12:25:27 AM »

I watched someone drop bosses 7, 8 and 9 and thought it seemed rather easy...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2005, 02:47:14 AM »

Once you know what to do, I'm sure the bosses would be pretty easy, and it would only be about taking them through the paces so that you can stab the ol' sweet spot. But figuring out just how the hell to get to that sweet spot is the trick. The only way I could describe this game would be that it's a puzzle game done through boss fights. I spent an hour trying to take out a boss, trying everything I could think of, fucking around at some points, but then once I figured out what to do, he went down pretty quickly.

If your buddy figured out what to do in a span of minutes, then more power to him.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: