http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 05:44:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone still hyped for Shadow of the Colossus?  (Read 19549 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 13, 2005, 11:17:33 PM »

What with FEAR, Quake 4, Call of Duty 2 for the PC and all the 360 talk around here, is anyone even still considering Colossus next week?  Comes out day after Quake 4 and FEAR.

I was still planning on getting it, but with FEAR coming out I may not get to it for awhile.  This is about it for the PS2 for me.  After this one, I will probably be getting rid of mine and making way for the next wave of machines.  

Seems the news on the web about this one has been relatively quiet considering it is coming out next week and all.  And oh, it's at a decent price point-$39.99.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 11:32:09 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
What with FEAR, Quake 4, Call of Duty 2 for the PC and all the 360 talk around here, is anyone even still considering Colossus next week?

me!!!...

(of course, what with currently having a great time with pokemon xd, while continuing to slowly slice'n'suture my way thru trauma center, & this is after having finished maybe one of my favorite rpgs ever, radiata stories, i'm not so sure i speak for the majority of people up here smile ...)

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 11:33:04 PM »

In a way, this is my most eagerly anticipated game of the year. Ico is in a league by itself.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 11:47:56 PM »

Heck yeah I'm excited!

Xbox Live: AgtFox
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 12:25:47 AM »

Not very.  Some of the screenshots I see look awesome and other ones look like crap.  I dont know, I couldnt stand ICO so chances are I wouldnt like this one either.

QWAYVE
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 12:50:52 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Heck yeah I'm excited!

Absolutely! Ico was one of the most beautiful and enigmatic games I've ever seen and Colussus seems to have it beat...I will finally get to hit something other than shadows!  Though they did freak me out a bit paranoid  
 I took the demo for a test drive and am looking forward to total landscape exploration without limits.  But most of all I want to know what that huge thing is in the water and if I have to kill it...how!!?

and yeah $39.99 is a bonus. thumbsup
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 12:56:34 AM »

It's so funny you bring this up, because I had no idea what the hell Shadow of the Colossus was until this morning. Happened across it looking up Ico 2 stuff, and now it's easily at the top of my most wanted list. Already savin' cash for it - and $40 USD helps too!

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 02:08:12 AM »

This will be one of the very few games that i've bought this whole year.

I'm patiently waiting for the game to be releasd after finally playing the demo for it last week.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 02:25:37 AM »

I played the demo, was incredibly dissapointed with it, and decided to forget about it frown
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 03:04:07 AM »

From everything I've heard it is a great game but there are graphical slowdowns and camera issues (EGM said that in their review).  There are also long periods of you running to find the next Colossus you have to battle.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 04:09:28 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
From everything I've heard it is a great game but there are graphical slowdowns and camera issues (EGM said that in their review).  There are also long periods of you running to find the next Colossus you have to battle.

Shits to both of those points.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 01:39:23 PM »

I'm waiting for impressions and reviews. It might be great, but then again.... how often have we seen a great game (or movie) have a crappy follow up?

Sony's had -tons- of series that have done well, with many of the follow up as good or better. The law of averages might be against them on this one.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 01:49:01 PM »

Well, EGM did give it at least a Silver (8.0 or above average), but I forget the scores and don't have my issue in front of me.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 02:27:04 PM »

When I first saw Ico I thought it looked dumb.  When I first played the demo for Ico, I thought it was boring.  When I forced myself to buy the game based on all of the glowing praise it received a few months ago and played all the way through it, I thought it was one of the best games of this console generation.

So, hell yeah I'm excited for it!

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 02:31:21 PM »

It's not a direct sequel to Ico though, is it? I was just under the impression that it was created by the same team, and took on a similar art style, but the story, characters, and world were unique from those in Ico.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2005, 02:48:42 PM »

Correct, it is not a direct sequel.  One of the cool things I've heard is that the opening cinema is controlled by you with the controller.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2005, 04:04:18 PM »

I was slightly dissapointed with the demo too. I'll wait for more reviews/impressions but I think I'll wait on this one.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2005, 04:25:14 PM »

I'll probably rent first.  I enjoyed Ico, and was impressed with it's artistic vision.  But once I was done, I didn't really have a desire to visit that "style" again.  We'll see.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2005, 01:43:53 PM »

Here's a review: 1up.com's review.
This game will remind you of why you play video games in the first place. No game makes you soar as high, sink as low, or feel as small as Shadow does, and that equals sheer adrenaline. Not the kind generated by zombies lurking around corners, or being run down by gangstas in a drive-by, but the sort of well-rounded emotional package that could exist only in a world like this. This is virtual reality, this is the great escape, this is a game that takes you somewhere you've never been before, Ico or no Ico. It's a game that dares you to exhilarate while hammering you with consequence. In short, Shadow of the Colossus breaks storytelling barriers none of us knew existed. It's the rare game for which the often overused words "ground-breaking" were truly reserved for, and it's enough to make you regret every stupid coin you ever collected. There's more to gaming than rote clichés and borrowed ideas, and Shadow of the Colossus is kind enough to remind us of what could be. You really couldn't ask for better than that. Besides merely being one of gaming's great moments, this is the experience of the year.

Score: 9.5

Cripes!  Another game I gotta buy!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2005, 02:27:24 PM »

Had to go there, huh? Snap - back in!

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2005, 02:49:02 PM »

After reading the review, there's two quotes that caught my attention:

While the first few colossi fall easily, at least in terms of conscience, it's not long before you find yourself feeling slightly off-balance in regards to why you're actually doing this. Sure, the pragmatic response is "Because I bought the game," but as each successive monster falls, a certain gravity takes hold of you as you make your way through the game. This is not a game in which ones machismo is easily riled. Yes, they're giant creatures, but unlike David and Goliath, these towering behemoths didn't do anything to warrant extermination, which is precisely what you're doing.

and

While the framerate could be a little smoother, it's stable, and never gets in the way of the action, and that's impressive considering the size of what's coming after you.

Still a little worried about the framerates, but hopefully other reviews will agree that, though the rates aren't ideal, they aren't as bad as some apparently found in the demos. This sounds like a fantastic video game, and a fantastic experience. Bring on the other reviews!

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2005, 07:30:40 PM »

Next week is going to make my gaming head explode!

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2005, 12:06:16 AM »

Ooooh, for any fellow Canucks out there, it looks like Future Shop is selling the game for $40 Canadian until the 20th. Now, the price is as listed on the website (and the webstore is out of stock), but FS does usually have sale prices for the first few days a title is released in store. I know I'll be checking it out after work on Tuesday.

I just hope a few more reviews pop up online on Monday. I really want to know what GameSpot thinks of the game, truth be told.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2005, 06:10:43 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Here's a review: 1up.com's review.
This game will remind you of why you play video games in the first place. No game makes you soar as high, sink as low, or feel as small as Shadow does, and that equals sheer adrenaline. Not the kind generated by zombies lurking around corners, or being run down by gangstas in a drive-by, but the sort of well-rounded emotional package that could exist only in a world like this. This is virtual reality, this is the great escape, this is a game that takes you somewhere you've never been before, Ico or no Ico. It's a game that dares you to exhilarate while hammering you with consequence. In short, Shadow of the Colossus breaks storytelling barriers none of us knew existed. It's the rare game for which the often overused words "ground-breaking" were truly reserved for, and it's enough to make you regret every stupid coin you ever collected. There's more to gaming than rote clichés and borrowed ideas, and Shadow of the Colossus is kind enough to remind us of what could be. You really couldn't ask for better than that. Besides merely being one of gaming's great moments, this is the experience of the year.

Score: 9.5

Cripes!  Another game I gotta buy!

Okay, back in.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2005, 07:20:34 AM »

Gamespot gives it an 8.7.  

I want to pick this up, but I've got too much on my plate right now.  *sigh*
More than likely I'll cave if I see it on sale, though.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2005, 02:53:29 PM »

And according to Gamespot's review, it also supports 480p.

I might have to pick this up for the wifey, as she and I both loved Ico, and it would be a cool surprise.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2005, 06:57:44 PM »

From the GameSpot review:

The game makes such an exceptional visual effort, in fact, that it's a disappointment that the technical execution is less than perfect. This is primarily due to an uneven frame rate, which is reasonably smooth while you're exploring the land but can dip dangerously low when a battle heats up--the worst time for it to happen. The camera can also be a bit erratic while you're climbing around the back of a colossus, though you can hold down L1 to center the camera on the monster, which helps to mitigate this problem. The low frame rate is actually countered somewhat by a motion blur effect, which makes everything appear a little smoother and adds a superb cinematic quality to boot ... In any event, this is still one of the best-looking games on the PlayStation 2, and these minor visual flaws absolutely shouldn't keep you from playing it. (Bold is mine.)

and

You can finish the main story in roughly 10 to 12 hours, and once you know how to defeat each colossus, much of the challenge is removed. But none of the wonder is.

and

Shadow of the Colossus deserves a look by anyone with an interest in cerebral, slightly offbeat action adventures. There's never really been anything like it, on the PlayStation 2 or on any other platform.

So the framerates can be nasty, but the game is still worth it. And it looks like it's longer than Ico, which was just a bit on the short side for my tastes. Unless a disasterous review comes out before Wednesday, I'll be buying this game.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2005, 04:19:51 AM »

Looks like IGN and Gamespy dug the game too.

(I think it's funny to note that the Gamespy url has the game tagged as Ico II.)

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2005, 04:24:28 AM »

I posted this in the "what are you buying thread", but here is the GameRankings totals so far (it's at 91%):

IGN  10/17/2005 9.7 out of 10 97.0%
1UP  10/14/2005 9.5 out of 10 95.0%
PSM Magazine   12/1/2005 9.5 out of 10 95.0%
Gamespy  10/17/2005 4.5 out of 5 90.0%
Official Playstation Magazine   10/1/2005 4.5 out of 5 90.0%
Electronic Gaming Monthly   11/1/2005 8.83 out of 10 88.3%
Game Informer   10/1/2005 8.75 out of 10 87.5%
GameSpot  10/17/2005 8.7 out of 10 87.0%

Wow...just wow.  I loved ICO, can't wait for this no matter if it is a 180 turn or not.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2005, 10:02:56 PM »

I just hope some of these reviews aren't of the "looking over our shoulder" variety after seeing how revered ICO turned out.  Granted, most of those places gave ICO a nice score, but since this one will most likely be declared genius regardless of quality it just makes me wonder.  Sometimes the hype is worth it.  I guess I am just a bit jaded today.

I guess it bodes well that nobody has came out and blasted it.  I really look forward to seeing just how big a collosus is!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2005, 11:52:01 PM »

Well, the Gamespy review is done by someone who never played Ico if that would sway you in any way, shape or form.

Let me just get this out before it gets any worse. I have a confession to make. I've never played ICO. Yes, I know. And I know a lot of the potential questions that'd I'd get if I were talking to most of the readers in person and saying that. Now, before some of you readers write in to demand that I'm fired and put out on the street to subsist on an unstable diet of day-old McDonald's and Arbor Mist, it is something that I consider to be an advantage. Having never played the previous game from this development team (I could go into a laundry list of reasons for not playing it ranging from delicately balancing two fields of journalism as a career to my dating and social life, but that's going to get in the way of why you're here, isn't it?), I can judge the team's newest title Shadow of the Colossus on its own merits rather than comparing it to any personal feelings or nostalgia I'd otherwise feel toward the other title.

Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2005, 01:16:03 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I really look forward to seeing just how big a collosus is!

I played the demo and for the first boss you stand about as high as its foot.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2005, 11:33:17 PM »

Just killed the third and had a blast all the way.  They are all so different and the moving of the killzones 1/2 the way through taking one down is a cool way to ratchet up the tension.  Just awesome.  But to be honest, part of feels kind of bad for killing them.  I mean afterall, what did they ever do to me?  But down they will go.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2005, 02:02:49 AM »

Just killed the third and had a blast all the way.  They are all so different and the moving of the killzones 1/2 the way through taking one down is a cool way to ratchet up the tension.  Just awesome.  But to be honest, part of feels kind of bad for killing them.  I mean afterall, what did they ever do to me?  But down they will go.

smile ...

eb just called to say my copy'd arrived, & to pick it up in 2 days or they'd sell it because they were sold out, which kinda surprised me & was good to hear...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2005, 02:41:40 AM »

Funny because I can only believe that when Dormin said, "the price in the end may be too high" to you at the beginning and you said, "I don't care" chances are killing the colossi is probably not the best thing in the overall scheme of things.  Just a guess though.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2005, 05:10:05 AM »

Picked up the game for $40 CDN (remember, Future Shop fellas!), and I'll be tackling it some time next week once I'm sick of We Love Katamari. Quite excited to play it though. Now I just have to stay clear of the impressions, since I've committed myself to the purchase.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2005, 02:05:23 PM »

Picked up the game yesterday, nice.  Beat the first 4 collosi in about hour 30 minutes.  The graphics are great along with the sound and music.  The voices are kind of creepy.

The only problem I have with this game is the camera.  It can be quite
unhelpful at times.  

I have got so many games in the past months that I had to make a pact that my next game purchase I would play till the end and I am glad that this was it.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2005, 02:16:07 PM »

But to be honest, part of feels kind of bad for killing them.  I mean afterall, what did they ever do to me?

I completely agree, I almost feel like I'm going around killing endangered species!

The solution?  I put the game's story out of my mind, and imagine that this bastard colossus has been terrorizing the kingdom for years on end.  The best armies in all the lands have been wiped out by this menace.  It's nearly upon my home village, if it isn't stopped soon, all that I hold dear will be lost.  I take up my hunting bow and my father's sword, and set off with my faithful steed against all odds to do what must be done.

Cheesy and cliche, I know, but for me it gives the fights a purpose.

Aside from the weak story, I am loving this game.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2005, 02:19:55 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
But to be honest, part of feels kind of bad for killing them.  I mean afterall, what did they ever do to me?

I completely agree, I almost feel like I'm going around killing endangered species!

I thought this was by design.
Reed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2005, 04:15:05 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Quote from: "wonderpug"

I thought this was by design.

I think it probably is, and they did a good job w/ it. The Colossus are very majestic (and just look at those eyes) and are typically sleeping and peaceful until you wake them up and start poking them full of holes, heh.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: