http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 10:43:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone replaying FF7?  (Read 3738 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2005, 11:39:37 AM »

I'm replaying Final Fantasy 7 in preparation for Advent Children, but I have a  strange problem.  The PS1 memory card I'm saving games on is now full, with FF7 taking up the final slot. However, when I go to save in the game, it shows all 15 slots as empty and able to be saved into. In most games, full slots are marked as unavailable when you go to save, but for some reason, FF7 is showing them as empty.  If anyone else is playing it, could you check when you save and see what it says for the save slots?  I'm worried I'll forget the memory card is full, and inadvertantly overwrite another game's save.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 11:47:52 AM »

Nha...It'll just fail to save.  FF7 was before they started showing exactly how many spaces were available to save on.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 12:55:55 PM »

I've got a FFVII save that I've been working on here and there for nearly a year.  It'm about 30 hours in, and I'll usually get around to playing a couple hours or so a month.  Maybe I'll eventually I'll get through it (it's my 4th time through), but there's no rush.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 06:28:55 PM »

I was actually thinking about replaying it.  I have the PC version though.  I think I got about half-way through (where you lose Cloud).  Would I be just as well off picking up the PS1 version and playing it on my PS2?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 06:32:28 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
I was actually thinking about replaying it.  I have the PC version though.  I think I got about half-way through (where you lose Cloud).  Would I be just as well off picking up the PS1 version and playing it on my PS2?

You should pick up the PS1 version and play it on your PC using an emulator.  Not only will you get a better looking game but you can use save states to save anywhere.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 06:44:04 PM »

Thanks - I didn't remember having this issue the first time I played, but I also forgot that the game doesn't support analog control.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 06:51:46 PM »

I've got it on my shelf, waiting to be replayed.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 07:23:37 PM »

who's gonna hook me up with a copy of it???  never played it smile
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 08:18:51 PM »

Played it, but dont own it.

I'm playing FF8 right now, again.......

Do they still sell copies of these older games? I want to pick them up, just so I can say I own them.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 08:28:41 PM »

Quote from: "Darren8r"
Played it, but dont own it.

I'm playing FF8 right now, again.......

Do they still sell copies of these older games? I want to pick them up, just so I can say I own them.

About the only Playstation One games I find in my area are Final Fantasy 7-9 + Tactics.  Should be easy to track one down.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 08:33:53 PM »

I've got it for the PC. I might play it. I have been thinking about it honestly, but the graphics are so primitive now to my spoiled eyes!!
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 08:34:18 PM »

Aww cool.

Thanks for that info. You think they will even have it in my little crappy town of 200, 000 people?

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 08:42:49 PM »

Aww cool.

Thanks for that info. You think they will even have it in my little crappy town of 200, 000 people?

They have it in my crappy little town of 50,000 people.  Where I live we call 200,000 a bustling metropolis!

If you can't find it, I'll pick you up a copy and you can send me the $15 or whatever it costs.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 08:43:57 PM »

Aww cool.

Probably.  As warning said, copies of the PSX FF games are in plentiful supply.  You're almost guaranteed to find it any store that still sells used or new PS1 games.  If not, its quite easy to get online.

I'll replaying it again before Advent Children too.  I just replayed it last year but already feel like another run through.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 09:07:25 PM »

Kevin, what do you recommend to get around the graphics-whore prejudice and the very slow opening-eveyr time I try to play the first 2 hours or so just bore me to tears frown
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 09:31:23 PM »

Well scratch that, my PC version wont install.I will find the PSX version and emulate.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005, 10:05:37 PM »

Can anyone recommend a good PS One emulator?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2005, 10:08:32 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"
Can anyone recommend a good PS One emulator?

Google for ePSXe.

I'm on my first time through.  After 5 or 6 tries (over the last 3 years), I've finally started getting into the game.  I hated the drabness and linearity of Midgar.  After leaving Midgar, I'm actually enjoying the game.

Now if I only had time to play it.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2005, 10:38:14 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Well scratch that, my PC version wont install.I will find the PSX version and emulate.
Last time I checked, the PC version of FF7 was worth something.  Might want to explore eBaying it, if it was complete.

Also, it's been fan patched to be playable on XP, I think.  There are guides out there.

Kevin, what do you recommend to get around the graphics-whore prejudice and the very slow opening-eveyr time I try to play the first 2 hours or so just bore me to tears frown

I'm not Kevin, but my recommendations are:

-Just play it

and

-Just play it

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2005, 10:59:31 PM »

I also have a copy of FFVII for the PC.  Runs pretty well.  Runs even BETTER with the Win XP patch.  I use to have a critical error whenever I went to the Golden Saucer for the first time.  Patched it up with the XP patch and that never happened again.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2005, 11:02:56 PM »

The PC version of FFVII has a bit more content, although it isnt a super-huge big deal.  I dont remember exactly what it was, I think its just another master materia and some other stuff (there are two 'Weapons' which werent present in the American PS version.  I believe the PC version is a port of the Japanese International version).
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2005, 11:10:27 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
The PC version of FFVII has a bit more content, although it isnt a super-huge big deal.  I dont remember exactly what it was, I think its just another master materia and some other stuff.
I don't remember that at all.  I thought the PC version was just a port and nothing more.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2005, 11:13:17 PM »

I guess I was editting it when you posted.  There are two (or three?  I forget) additional Weapons which werent in the PS version, so the optional rewards for beating them are the additional content.  Otherwise it is the same.

It is a port, but it's a port of the Japanese Internation version, which had the additions.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2005, 11:47:02 PM »

Yeah ePSXe can help out quite a bit although I've only  just got into that in the past few months.  My replays last year were with just the plain vanilla PS2 backwards compatability.  

That said, I still really like the graphics in FF7.  The character models are basic to be sure but the backgrounds are still stunning and I think the battle graphics and effects hold up well.  Truth be told I was more impressed visually with FF7 than FF8 when I replayed both last year.  

Can't help on the slow opening though- the opening 10 hours is easily one of my favorite parts of the game.  I just love Midgar and wish more of the game had been set there.  But for  lots of people the game really kicks in and "opens up" and you get access to the world map about 10-15 hours in.  

How far have you got before giving up?  Did you make it to the assault
on the Shinra headquarters (I thought that section kicked much ass)?

EDIT- Oh yeah- have you never tried the PSX version?  IMO it is superior.  While the graphic acceleration on the PC is nice, the backgrounds weren't re-rendered for the higher resolutions and look horribly pixellated even at 640x480.  The natural filtering of a televion set smooths everthing out and looks better IMO.  ePSXe will do a great job smoothing all of the polygons but won't help much for the background images.  I would recommend outputting the ePSXe to a TV if possible- that will give you the best image quaity possible with the game.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2005, 01:21:07 AM »

"Kevin, what do you recommend to get around the graphics-whore prejudice and the very slow opening-eveyr time I try to play the first 2 hours or so just bore me to tears"
Watch the FF7 intro tech demo that Square made, and then pretend the rest of the game is using those same graphics slywink  Either that, or wait 5 years or so for the the PS3 remake.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2005, 01:23:21 AM »

Ok I am going to borrow it from a friend tomorrow and EPSX it. Thanks guys!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2005, 01:43:44 AM »

Ok, so to use ePSXe, I have to somehow extract my BIOS from my playstation? That sounds awful compelkated.

-John

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2005, 01:51:02 AM »

Ok, so to use ePSXe, I have to somehow extract my BIOS from my playstation? That sounds awful compelkated.

Or you could, ahem, do a search for the BIOS.  It is readily available and doesn't take any l33t hacking skills to find.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2005, 02:12:41 AM »

Yikes. It actually took me far too long to find it. I overcomplicated the search.

-John

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2005, 03:00:15 AM »

Yikes. It actually took me far too long to find it. I overcomplicated the search.

Yeah its easy to find.If you own a PSX or PS2 I wouldn't feel bad about it either-you own the system, you aren't costing them a red cent, so far as I know.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2005, 03:55:31 AM »

I do own a playstation and FF7 (although my FF7 discs aren't at home at this moment).

I tried getting this thing to work with Blood Omen. While it will run, I just can't get the speed quite right. I had to use my DVD-RW. My 52xCD-ROM just couldn't keep up, which seemed odd to me. With no FPS limiting, the opening movies play nicely. But then, after Kain is killed the movie where he turned into a vampire plays to quickly. If i limit the FPS, then the 2nd movie plays ok, but the first is too slow.

I also had some odd graphical oddities at times. I have never had luck with PSX emulators, dating back to Bleem. Oh well, I probably don't have time to play FF7 now, anyway, but I was intrigued about being able to play it with slightly better graphics. Thanks for the help.

-John

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2005, 04:22:19 AM »

Generally you will get much better performance if you rip the PSX CDs to ISOs using a program like ISO Buster.  

I've played Blood Omen on ePSXe within the last month and it worked perfectly when I ran it from an ISO.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2005, 04:31:39 PM »

Yes, I may take that step next and see how that works for me. Thanks for the tip!

-John

warning

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2005, 04:45:21 PM »

This will help to get FFVII running in ePSXe.

http://www.lordkane.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=476/0

He gives specifics on what settings to use.  Works perfectly for me.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2005, 05:24:31 PM »

I've got FF7 and FF8 for the PC, but I haven't played them in a long time.  This has got me itching to reinstall them.  I already don't have enough time in the day and now I need to find more to play these!

warning

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2005, 03:17:13 AM »

Oh you guys suck.

I've been playing FFVII for a couple hours today.  I'm playing the Playstation version using ePSXe and the config mentioned above.  I've got to say it looks pretty sweet and the ability to save anywhere/anytime using save states makes this much more playable for me.  I can put in 10 minutes here and there and not have to backtrack or wait for a save point.

I'll try to take some screenshots later - with smoothing, high resolution and all the other bells and whistles it's hard to believe it's the same game.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2005, 03:50:07 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
I'll try to take some screenshots later - with smoothing, high resolution and all the other bells and whistles it's hard to believe it's the same game.

Sweet!  Would love to see some screenies!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2005, 04:04:29 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Oh you guys suck.

I've been playing FFVII for a couple hours today.  I'm playing the Playstation version using ePSXe and the config mentioned above.  I've got to say it looks pretty sweet and the ability to save anywhere/anytime using save states makes this much more playable for me.  I can put in 10 minutes here and there and not have to backtrack or wait for a save point.

Don't tempt me!! Post screenies!!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2005, 04:12:08 AM »

Okay here's some screenshots.  I'm playing at 1280x1024 and the screenshots were all 5mb in size.  I compressed them down a bit to save on bandwith but it should give you a pretty good idea.  The 3D parts look great in a low-poly way.  The prerendered stuff doesn't look bad for a game from what?... 1997?  The originals before I compressed them looked quite a bit crisper....

Barret is an idiot by the way.  Proof?

Here's a pretty good closeup of Cloud.  Remember how jaggy he used to be?

A battle scene

I am one victorious mofo!

Remember Airbuster the second boss battle?

Kicked his ass....

The cinematics look like crap.  That's about the only problem.  They were originally designed for TV's so they are 320x240ish scaled up to 1280x1024 so they look blurry as hell.  Oh well.

Cloud meets Aeris again.  Ah Aeris... *sniff*
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2005, 04:47:53 AM »

Awesome dude, I think I will have to start tomorrow frown Do you know at all if it will work with my PSX to USB adapter?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: