http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 10:34:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone playing Dofus?  (Read 1577 times)
RightBastard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2005, 06:06:58 AM »

It was posted on the front page a few days ago.  It's an MMORPG that uses Flash and is currently in beta testing.  Just wanted to if any CG'ers were giving it a spin.  I've never played an MMORPG before and it's interesting that I just spent the past hour mining iron out of cave walls.  I can't tell if I'm having fun or not but it is strangely compelling.

If anyone from CG is playing, add me to your friends list.  My character is named Fickle.

Here's the URL in case you missed it.

http://www.dofus.com/

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 02:04:37 PM »

Is it fun?  It certainly looks neat.  Any idea what their pricing plan is going to be?  I can't find any info on the website.  Can't go wrong with a free beta, in I go!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 05:40:39 PM »

Man, could they have picked a worse name?

What's the slogan going to be?  "Don't be a doofus -- play Dofus!"

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 05:51:47 PM »

So, anybody care to explain what this game is about exactly? Is it some sort of action MMO? Or is it something else entirely?

I'm curious about this, as since it's Flash based, I can play it at work. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 08:26:41 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Man, could they have picked a worse name?

What's the slogan going to be?  "Don't be a doofus -- play Dofus!"

That is pure genius.  They should hire you to right the ship.:lol:

As for the game itself, I'm not sure what it's all about.  As I've never really played one of these things, I can't compare it to say, WoW or EQII.  But the fact that it's free, flash based and cute says something.  The ingame economy is all out of whack and to do anything requires a lot of grinding.  I'm working as a miner and it's taken a long time to level up.  And there are a ton of people fighting over very miniscule resources.  And some of the quests involve ridiculous requirements that no one is going to ever fulfill.

So yeah, it's rough and unfinished and has a lot of issues.  But it's easy to pick up and I'm somehow engrossed by watching my little guy hack at a wall with his pick axe.  And most of the people in the game are new so you don't feel completely lost when you're wandering around.

Worth a few minutes time, at least.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 08:46:35 PM »

I've only dabbled in it for a little while, but it seems like a fun little game.  The character classes are pretty unique, I wish the big name MMORPGs where this creative.  They've got a masochistic class that needs to get hurt in order to attack, a 'gambling' class that has very powerful spells that all have a big chance to backfire.

Here's a listing and description of the different classes.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 02:34:51 PM »

So, after playing this MMOTBSRPG for a bit, I'm kinda liking it. But it's a really weird title, overall.

In short, the combat engine is different from any other MMO I've seen out there. It's not truly real time at all. Instead, you have turns like say Final Fantasy Tactics, but only a limited amount of time to actually choose what you'll do in that turn (needed as you're playing with other players).

The character classes are wildly different from each other, and some of them are quite original as well.

Overall, I like it. Best of all though, it's a Flash based game (which can also be played inside your browser). In other words - it's playable from work. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 03:08:20 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
So, after playing this MMOTBSRPG for a bit. . .Best of all though, it's a Flash based game

You need to add Flash based to the acronym, its a FBMMOTBSRPG.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 03:28:55 PM »

I'm trying it out as a Time Mage equivalent and it's OK.  The Engrish-quality translation is just amazingly painful though.

One really obnoxious thing is that the combat actually isn't turn-based.  You have a countdown timer to complete the actions of your turn.  I have no idea why that's there or why they thought it'd be a good idea to have it.

Here's a good example of the massive translation work that still needs doing:

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 03:45:03 PM »

One really obnoxious thing is that the combat actually isn't turn-based.  You have a countdown timer to complete the actions of your turn.  I have no idea why that's there or why they thought it'd be a good idea to have it.

So when people play chess with a timer, they're no longer playing it turn based? ;)

It is silly to have the timer when you're soloing, but I think it's a necessary feature for groups to keep things moving along.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 04:17:45 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
It is silly to have the timer when you're soloing, but I think it's a necessary feature for groups to keep things moving along.
Ah, that makes sense.

Anyone know where to find a Black Tofu for the first nub quest?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 04:26:14 PM »

Anyone know where to find a Black Tofu for the first nub quest?

I still haven't found mine, but I saw a thread where someone said a good place to wait for one to spawn is 2 screens left of the quest giver.

Ah, spawn camping on the first quest...yup!  It's a MMO!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 04:45:42 PM »

Aaaaaaannndddd... I've lost patience with the game.  It's laggy and hurts my brain.  And it's got Lineage 2-quality progression and mechanics.

The quests are laugh-out-loud impossible -- for example, an NPC will tell you to gather 100 'Blue Jelly Slimes' or something.  Just on the way to the NPC, I fought 5 or 6 Blue Jellies, and had one Slime drop.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 08:15:29 PM »

Aaaaaaannndddd... I've lost patience with the game.  It's laggy and hurts my brain.  And it's got Lineage 2-quality progression and mechanics.

The quests are laugh-out-loud impossible -- for example, an NPC will tell you to gather 100 'Blue Jelly Slimes' or something.  Just on the way to the NPC, I fought 5 or 6 Blue Jellies, and had one Slime drop.

Exactly.  I don't know how they expect you to fulfill that sort of requirement. There are a lot of broken mechanics in this game, which makes sense considering its beta status.  Either way, I'm feeling less and less inclined to boot it up.

Black tofu spawns at -8, -6, right near where you use it.  People fight over it but apparently, almost everyone gets one if you join a fight, though when I got it, I was the only one in the party.

Flannery O'Connor
KanGee
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 03:46:28 PM »

I tested DOFUS too. Its so cool!
Its not in beta anymore but you can still play for free in a full part of the game.

I have a lot of fun with texts and characters and the colorful Graphics are really different from other RPG.
Quests are very nice too.

I'll spend some time playing it.
KanGee
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2005, 03:46:38 PM »

I tested DOFUS too. Its so cool!
Its not in beta anymore but you can still play for free in a full part of the game.

I have a lot of fun with texts and characters and the colorful Graphics are really different from other RPG.
Quests are very nice too.

I'll spend some time playing it.

:lol:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: