http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 10:49:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone play on Live without the headset?  (Read 1462 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2006, 04:47:27 PM »

Just got a refurbished 360 network adapter ($62 shipped on Ebay) with yesterday's mail, hooked it up and was up and running on Live in no time.
Was planning on just using Silver but it gave me a month free of Gold so naturally I tried a couple games online (PDZ, Saints Row, BFMEII etc.) but didn't even bother hooking up the headset yet and it was just so.. peaceful!

The last time I had Live, around 2002 or so on the original xbox, I remember all the bitching 13 year olds screaming into their headsets like they were the rulers of the free world.
I'm just an average casual player who plays for fun and avoids the ranked stuff, but in smaller games, say a 3vs3 in Unreal Championship, if I don't have the exact amount of kills the little child wants, he'd say something like "You suck!!" and I'd either have to bite my tongue or engage him in some pointless arguing. Most of the time (as I was younger then) I'd engage him and it'd take away from the game experience.
I always said something like "It's just a GAME. Who cares if we win or lose? Its not like the fate of the world's depending on it" and the kid would be like "I care!! You suck [insert lots of curse words here]"

Sometimes that made me miss PC gaming online - where the vast majority of games still used just a regular keyboard to talk. Sure people still bitched on their keyboards, but it was far less frequent, and you could ignore it if you wanted to, unlike the voice chat which you were going to hear whether you like it or not.

Even on the PC - in Unreal Tournament 2004 with it's voice chat - we had one female in the game and practicially every guy in the game with a headset was hitting on her. Hitting on someone they dont even know.. she could be Sally Struthers for all we know!
So I made a comment like "This isn't a dating service it's a game, go to the chat rooms if you all you want to do is talk" and so the little boys turned on me and so did the female who had been getting all this attention.
In UT2004 unfortunately you coudn't just disable voice chat all together, you had to disable it by each player individiaully, which was time consuming and annoying. People came and people left, and you had to constantly disable each player if you didn't want voice chat.

What I'm getting at is, as I get older, I'm finding myself less and less tolerant of the BS of kids these days. If I want to game online, I want to do so casually and for fun, not to hear little next door Bobby act like a gangsta because he's behind his TV with a microphone where nobody knows who he really is (because you know half these kids woudn't be saying what they do if it was in the real world face to face) and last night without the headset, it actually was fun.
I played a game of Battle for Middle Earth II - first game  online - 1vs1 - lasted about 40 minutes. The guy completely destroyed me but I put up a good long fight before he took down my final building.
Played a bit of the Battlefield 2 demo, so good it's going to have me buying the full version now, and the entire game, not a single voice chat.. while I wish we had a keyboard (so you can do some basic communication with your team like on the PC) it was still a lot of fun.

So.. anyone here actively game on Live without the headset? How's your experience been?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 04:51:30 PM »

I typically only play with friends and folks I know here and on another board I visit, so I tend to use the headset.

If I'm going into random play, be it in Halo2 or Uno?  I'm at least muted and more likely headset free.  Little kids tick me off on xbox live.  Of course you are better than me at video games kid, I'm married, employed and have a mortgage  smile

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 05:08:30 PM »

when playing with friends (and the guys from GT/OO/QT3 are a blast) the headset adds to the game immensely.  When playing with people I don't know, which I tend not to do, I have it off most of the time.  That or I mute the ones who are annoying me.

On BF2, Papasmurff and I play fairly often.  Look us up if you do go ahead and get the full game.

Gamertag:Jarrodhk for me and... Papasmurff4 I believe.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 05:51:45 PM »

i play call of duty 2 with the headset but have the mic turned off,this is because IF people come on bitching and screaming,i am the first to yell back at them...but to be honest,call of duty 2,hasnt really been that bad for it,nor has Battlefield 2 modern combat,it was only the xbox 1 days do i recall in halo 2 that there was a lot of kids screaming and giving out abuse

i still hear a bit of swearing in call of duty 2,especially when the other side wants to use f*&^$%$ shotguns,for easy f&*^&(^  kills..but it isnt anything i cant handle

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 06:06:59 PM »

Buddy of mine and I were playing Halo 2 online a couple of weeks ago and he got into it with some punkass whose balls hadn't even dropped yet. The kid was complaining about how all of us sucked and he was always saddled with losers that never played and on and on. My friend starts in on him and of course it escalates from there. Meanwhile I'm laughing at them both and just making comments about how everything my friend gets he deserves for arguing on Live. God I hate that aspect of it.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 06:56:35 PM »

Yeah I guess there are both ups and downs of using the headset on Live.
Since Live is built around voice chat (compared to say PC which is getting there - but still relies heavily on keyboard chat) I was wondering if I might be missing the "true" experience.

Like I said I did have Live in the early days and sure sometimes there were good games with mature players who were there just to play and have a good time, but then there were plenty of other times where you get immature 13 year olds who think they know it all.

I play with the headset on SOCOM (PSP) sometimes and while I hear a lot of bitching (people calling eachother racial slurs is a big one) I just sit back and ignore them, so rarely do I ever get into an argument with anyone on there.
It's a shame people can't play just to play, but have to go into personal insults, racial attacks, and so on because you know they'd never be doing this in real life. Spineless cowards, IMO.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 07:39:54 PM »

I'm confused......does lack of headset actually mean lack of hearing the other people?   I thought it came over your speakers if you didn't have one.   

Note....I've only been online headset gaming since April when I got the 360.

- shaggy

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 07:50:29 PM »

I've found that if my headset is not in, I can barely hear the other people, though it does go through my TV's speakers.  I might hear voices but can't identify what they are saying.
I think you can also force sound to always go through the headset, even if it isn't there?

Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 07:55:51 PM »

If you don't want to hear anyone, you don't have to (thankfully).
Of course this means you can't talk either.

I don't have Live anymore, but when I did, I never bothered with the headset.
I really don't want to hear other people, and I especially don't want to hear obnoxious ones. I'm sure I saved myself a great deal of aggravation having voice turned off.

Still, there are a few occasions when it would be nice, as in co-ordinating attacks with teamates. Or if the game happens to be filled with people I actually know, then I'd want to hear them, but that never happened.

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 08:03:38 PM »

Um most of the time I go with the headset and just mute people that are stupid.  There is the exception, HALO 2, damn little kids (unless I need a good laugh at the shit they say)

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 08:46:47 PM »

One thing I do have to say: GRAW with the crew would not be .0000001 as much fun without the voice chat.

So much fun to hear someone say 'oops..' and know from the tone of voice that I need to run as far away from them as possible before the grenade goes off.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 08:53:23 PM »

I either don't use the headset, or I put my wife on it and have her trashtalk all the teenage punks smile
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 09:46:56 PM »

Playing Uno has kind of depressed me about the general state of things in the world. Listening to what some of these people say is just kind of sad. Of course, not everyone out there is an idiot, but it's a pretty high percentage. Or maybe the percentage isn't that high, but the idiots are just more vocal. I hesitate to open my mouth online because it seems one of these jerks will just come back with some sort of slur/insult/insight about my mother.

I also have the cam and enjoy putting my dog and cat onscreen sometimes. This really offends some people. "Why aren't you on the camera, f-gg-t motherf-cker?! You scared?" Who cares??

I don't get it. It would be great if there was an easier way to mute people. Takes just a smidge too long to do in Uno.

BTW, why am I playing UNO with my next-gen console???? That's so weird!!! And I've been playing a lot!  eek
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 09:55:57 PM »

That's why I have 70-odd people on my friends list.  Excepting BF2, I don't play online unless it's with people I know, or from the boards.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 02:20:44 AM »

When I used to play Live games on my original XBox I used the headset for the first couple weeks and then never bothered hooking it up again.  Since my free month of Gold ran out with my 360 I haven't even bothered to renew the subscription, and never used the headset.  Playing with random, overly vocal teenage jerkasses has burned out my patience for online games. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2006, 02:26:21 AM »

I rarely use the headset.  I dont like being told I suck when I am losing and that I cheat when I am winning.

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 12:54:07 PM »

I sometimes enjoy talking trash back with the little kids.  I've told them to shut up and go do their homework a few times.  More obnoxious ones I've actually pulled the Shatner line out, "Have you ever kissed a girl?"

Then I realize I'm making fun of a 12 year old kid, and feel like an ass.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 01:42:57 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on October 12, 2006, 08:46:47 PM

One thing I do have to say: GRAW with the crew would not be .0000001 as much fun without the voice chat.

So much fun to hear someone say 'oops..' and know from the tone of voice that I need to run as far away from them as possible before the grenade goes off.

Or be able to talk to everyone ELSE who's died at the end of some maniac's 400round.p.minute rifle. (I'm looking at YOU, MM.  icon_wink )

It would be boring just watching everyone otherwise. Especially since MM would go on for another 10 minutes to finish the map anyways.
In Co-op it's a must. If I go play marble madness or something I generally take it off. I use mute and feedback for offensive/annoying people who go too far with trashtalk and ignore warnings.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 03:15:34 PM »

I just turn off voice completely if I don't know who I'm playing with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: