http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 01:25:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone picking up The Punisher?  (Read 918 times)
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2005, 11:47:57 PM »

Just curious if anyone has picked it up. If so, whats your take on it? I played the demo and thougth is was fun.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 04:34:59 AM »

This game is a blast.

There's a lot of variety in the torture options (there are basically four you can do to anyone, but there seem to be a lot of "special interrogations"), at least in the few levels I've played so far.  There are also a few creative ways to kill people.  Dropping engines on their head, sending an unmanned forklift into the platform they're on...

One thing the demo didn't indicate is the light RPG element.  The better you do in the mission stylistically, the more points you earn (you can also get multipliers by not getting hit between torture sessions).  You use those points to give yourself better body armor, more ammo, better aim, etc.   There are also comic covers, weapons and mission challenges to unlock as you play.

The story is written by comics scribe Garth Ennis (Preacher, and, currently, The Punisher), and it is top notch.  Like all of Ennis' work, it's funny, deep and interestingly violent (bordering on sick at times, but the creative take keeps it on this side of the line).

There have been comparisons to Max Payne.  Though gameplay touches differ, there are definite similarities.  The Punisher isn't quite as somber a story.  It's important to note, however, that Max Payne was created with a lot of the Punisher's already existing story in mind.  I think Max Payne (especially #2) may be a better polished game, but so far The Punisher is more fun.

Really, if you're even slightly curious, I can't recommend it enough.  Not Game of the Year or anything, but a blast to play, well designed (I usually am impressed with Volition, so no suprise there), cleverly written, and just the right level of challenge.  CGFE GO!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 07:38:20 PM »

Interesting but I'll just have to hold off until it hits the bargain bin.

How does this work again?
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 08:04:01 PM »

Hmmmm, ok you sold me. I am picking this one up after work. Thanks for the impressions.  biggrin

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 10:56:30 PM »

volition made this?  very surprised and happy that they are still around, even though they aren't the same company they used to be.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 12:11:02 AM »

OXM: 6.8

Yikes.

Concept intrigues me, but I'm not really a follower of the punisher...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: