http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 12:22:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone picking up Stronghold 2?  (Read 2478 times)
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2005, 07:36:04 PM »

I really enjoyed the first one. And part 2 comes out today. Anyone picking it up? If so, what are your impressions?

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 11:01:46 PM »

Any takers...no one? no one is picking this one up?

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 12:49:55 AM »

I really wanted to get it today, but my EB has begun to follow the "day after everyone else gets it" strategy with PC games.

I'm beginning to feel like I should be ashamed when I walk up to the counter with a PC game from somewhere in the back of the store.  I am just wondering when they are going to set up a privacy wall, so I can peruse the PC games without embarrassment...

So, since I have to wait anyway, I might as well wait until next month, since I don't see anything interesting out during May anyway.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 01:22:38 AM »

I picked this up for me and my pop this morning, since he's infatuated with the stronghold series. Installed it on his comp, but alas, couldnt emulate the CD/find a cd crack/burn the play CD, so Ill have to wait for a crack until I can play  frown

What I did get a glimpse of was Stronghold, but in 3d. Same everything, but more of it and in a new, spectacular dimension. And thats not nessessarily a bad thing Tongue

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Jaraq
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 10:11:07 PM »

The game feels really unfinished. As if  they rushed it. Example being the memory leaks and LAG on my top-end computer system.

Not to mention in one scenario you have to 'archer zerg' to get past the objective. And that feels REALLY cheap.

The building organization is a mess too.

Yeah, I'm really disapointed with this game.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 10:55:43 PM »

Feels laggy?  Is Starforce involved?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 11:53:57 PM »

Quote from: "Crowley"
I picked this up for me and my pop this morning, since he's infatuated with the stronghold series. Installed it on his comp, but alas, couldnt emulate the CD/find a cd crack/burn the play CD, so Ill have to wait for a crack until I can play  frown

Isn't that piracy?

Ale
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 02:23:31 AM »

Quote from: "Alefroth"

Isn't that piracy?

Ale

:wink:  thumbsup

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 02:33:34 AM »

Well said.  biggrin

Ale
Jaraq
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 04:45:33 AM »

I can't believe how much of a mess this game is. And the fact they released a patch so quickly is a sign of it. Especially the fact game lags on a high-end computer system, which I'm using. Didn't they run optimization on this code?

1) In tutorial, the Stockpile placement can't happen because the footprint for placing it never appears.

2) Free Play and Defending a Castle Siege end instantly with defeat!

3) Kingmaker won't go past the setup screen and none of the buttons do anything. If anything it looks like a multiplayer setup screen.

4) Multiplayer never connects and from what I hear its a complete joke with so many bugs and missing features!

5) Combat is a chaotic zergfest with a horrible ui for trying to control things. AI is a joke too.

6) The load time at game startup is for what? Compiling the game on my computer because it wasn't finished by the developers?

7) The lack of options in terms of key bindings and such in-game is a joke as well!

Cool I'm not even going to bother ranting about how dated the graphic engine is despite it being such a resource hog!

They rushed this game out the door. It should not be on shelves in this pathetic state!!! I wonder what the reviewers were smoking or bribe with, giving it anything over a 50 percent approval rating.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 06:35:03 AM »

Is there a skirmish mode where you can setup multiplayer-like games with the computer? (2vs2,etc.)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 08:42:56 PM »

Anyone?  :?
I'm thinking of picking this one up at EB but just want to make sure it has a skirmish mode (unlike the original Stronghold) since some RTS games these days are lacking them.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Jaraq
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 09:09:06 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Anyone?  :?

Honestly, I'd wait on buying it.

They do have a mode where you either defend or siege a famous castle.

Another is Kingmaker where you war against other Lords, similiar to multiplayer versus AI.

I'd get Empire Earth 2 though, as this game feels really unfinished.
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 09:16:44 PM »

Quote from: "Jaraq"

Not exactly the best game to use as a counterpoint to an unfinished one :lol:

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 10:53:29 PM »

Quote from: "Jaraq"

Not exactly the best game to use as a counterpoint to an unfinished one :lol:

Why do you say that?

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 02:05:53 AM »

I've played the first 8 or 9 missions of the peaceful campaign and so far I like Stronghold 2 a lot. There's an extraordinary amount of detail in the building and unit animations and the game's simulation of castle life is just really fun to play around with.

I agree that it feels rushed and I hope they patch in a boatload of improvements, but I'm still having fun with it.

Not perfect, or even great, but I'd give it about 80%.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 12:08:19 PM »

So is that a yes to there being a skirmish mode?
Basicallly just something that I can play offline, like 2vs2, but instead of human players, it'd be myself and 3 computer players. Stronghold Crusader had such a feature, but the original Stronghold didn't. Hard to justify $40 for a game when it doesn't even have a skirmish, and unfortunately, some RTS games don't have one. (I read that the newest Settlers doesn't even have one.)

Azhure
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005, 09:47:40 AM »

Yes, there is a skirmish mode.  Its called Kingmaker mode and the same maps are used for both MP and SP against the AI
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005, 05:21:37 PM »

Stronghold 2 isn't worth 40 bucks.
There are usually 3 (THREE!) games going on online at any given time (even 7 year old starcraft has more than that), the AI is a joke especially when it comes to castle sieges (they seem to get confused really easily, especially with the ladders) and the game lags really bad when you get too many units on the screen during a castle siege, or even just a game where you might have yourself and 5 computer players. It's like being on a 28.8k modem with 5 players, except that you aren't even online. (My computer is a p4 3.4ghz 1gb ram)
The clipping is pretty bad as well.

The idea behind the game isn't that bad at all and the castle sieges are definitely fun. Not too many games let you post archers on the walls (Rome Total War is about the closest I can think of) but in Stronghold 2 you have a "Lord" which is another nice feature, you can move him into battle, keep him in your castle with castle guards protecting him, but if he is killed, you lose. Sometimes it's fun taking him to the front line (he's an extremely powerful unit) and have him fight alongside your troops until his health goes low, then send him back to the safety of the walls.
Reminds me a lot of another old game - Dominus. In that game you controlled only one character in a RTS view, your leader. The rest of the units were strictly AI-controlled, both allies and enemies. If your leader unit was killed, you lose.

Over all I'd give Stronghold 2 a 70%, just know that it's probably going to go down in price soon and when you pay $40 for a game and a week later it goes to $30 (or below) it feels like a waste of money.
Lets just hope Firefly continue to support the game through patches as it could still use a lot of improvements and fixes.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: