http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 11:11:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone pick up Men of Valor?  (Read 1070 times)
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2004, 02:52:01 AM »

Just was curious if this was worth getting?

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 03:48:43 AM »

We'll have a writeup of the PC version soon and I should have Xbox code to review shortly. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 06:18:26 AM »

I spent a good couple of hours with the Xbox version tonight.  I should point out that I'm sad about the shift from WWII to Vietnam in games.  I just find the WWII era more interesting.  Also, it feels like your going to be in rice paddies or the jungle in a Vietnam game.  It's hard to get a lot of variety in your maps there (although I thought Vietcong did a nice job on the PC [the console version was awful]).

I've enjoyed what I played so far (the fact that I went into a second mission [longer, too, to my chagrin]), despite the fact that Otogi 2 was sitting next to me is testament to the fact that I've enjoyed it.  

There have been complaints about the framerate in reviews.  So far, I've only had a problem in transitional moments (passing through a checkpoint or before/after a cutscene).  Not ideal, but I haven't had a problem during action yet.  The character movements are a little awkward, but it's the kind of thing I'm used to in these types of games, so I live with it.

The graphics themselves were underwhelming when I started the training mission, but I've grown to like them.  However (and this is a problem, again, with the setting), your shooting at guys who are frequently quite far away on the rice paddy or shooting at them through heavy vegetation, so your not seeing much until they get right up next to you or you enter one of the jungle towns.

I'm enjoying the story and character.  It's not an amazing story, but the voice acting is decent (do I detect Edward Herrmann as the narrator, too?) and I'm getting attached to the squad, which I'm sure will be bad in the long run.  However, there are already a lot of cliches.  Things like a sniper getting the guy in front of you.  The water buffalo ambush.  Stuff that really happened, of course, and it's too bad we're so used to it, but there you have it.

Control is okay.  Crouch movement is a little too slow for my taste.  I'm not sure how I feel about the whole B button bandage thing (sometimes, it raises the stakes and is quite interesting, other times you want to wrap some bandages around the idiot's neck who came up with the idea and pull tight).  And I wish there was a zoom button, historical accuracy be damned.  But I find the aiming speed just about right and walking movement pretty good, too.

Sound is amazing in 5.1.  Really drives it over the top.  It's great to have things flying overhead ('specially if their delivering some napalm, love that AM smell and all) and bullets whizzing all around.

If I had to put a number on it at this stage, I'd probably go 7.5 or so.  Not amazing, but good enough if you're not tired of this sort of thing.  Still, it is early in my playing, and I understand there are some urban settings ahead, which should add some nice variety, so that number could go up or down.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 11:03:45 AM »

I totally agree with the above post.  He hit it on the nail.  I will add one thing-this Vietnam shooter is the best Nam shooter to date.  Imagine Medal of Honor in Nam and you have it.  One thing I do like is that  it appears you are always with a squad, which is a good thing in my opinion.

7.5 nails it I think.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 03:22:13 PM »

I also agree with the above posts.

The sound is oustanding.  Some of the best sound work I have heard in a game in a really long time.

My friend and I are having a great time playing through it coop.

Wake up.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 03:35:39 PM »

I played through the demo and it further cemeted the fact that I am sick of the theme park war shooter genre.  Won't be going anywhere near this one.

I will agree though that the sound was fantastic.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 03:53:11 PM »

Anyone tried the coop mode?  Is it any good?

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 04:17:41 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"

My friend and I are having a great time playing through it coop.

Yes, as I said above.  My friend and I are having a blast with it.  If one of you dies though, you have to wait till you get to a checkpoint to return.  It's quiet intense smile

Wake up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: