http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 01:24:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have doubts of EA's intent to corner/destroy pcgaming  (Read 3067 times)
jpinard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2004, 03:47:19 PM »

If EA buys out Ubisoft we are in deep shit.  Say goodbye to the only publisher putting out real military sims.

The rap-crap backed EA is going to destroy our hobby.  Lets pray they never buy out Vivendi or Sony games division, otherwise we'll have "World of Warcraft - Samurai Smackdown", and "Everquest 2 - Dudz expansion".

Man EA is becoming a monster.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 04:19:11 PM »

Not that i want to EA take over..quite the opposite.

However, your statement about military sims is patently false.  Making such broad, false statements with no support is the wrong way to go about trying to make a point about EA being bad.

Frankly, I know there's a lot of people me included that hate ubisoft just as much as EA.

I mean look what they've done to the Rainbow 6 line of games.  They turned into the equivalent of taking WoW and making it WoW: Samurai Smackdown.

Saying ubisoft makes genuine military sims is like saying EA makes genuine realistic nascar sims.

EA and Ubisoft both make games geared towards more of a mass market audience so they can sell more licenses.  It's all about the almighty dollar.   EA and Ubisoft are not killing gaming as it used to be per say.  It's the consumers that are killing gaming as it used to be.

The bigger an audience gaming gets, the more generic games will get to try to grab more license sales across the board.  We don't see many games like Falcon 4.0 or the origional rainbow 6 or operatioon flashpoint because they are games from a different era.  An era where gamers will still widely considered geeks the audience being marketted too was a niche who would go after the most technical and realistic product.

These days your real market is storefront shelves and windowshoppers and parents buying christmas presents etc.

The publishers and producers are not killing gaming.  Gamers are killing gaming.

We wanted gaming to become more popular.  Well it's happened, now we live with the consequences of mass market gaming.
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 04:22:38 PM »

What is rap-crap?

You better buy some ERTS.

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 04:24:06 PM »

Fuzzballx - EA woudl NEVER had allowed the go ahead developement of those simulation games becasue there's not enough profit in it.  GUARENTEED.  

Would you rather have what UBIsoft published or nothing at all?
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 04:31:13 PM »

Quote from: "jpinard"
Fuzzballx - EA woudl NEVER had allowed the go ahead developement of those simulation games becasue there's not enough profit in it.  GUARENTEED.  

Would you rather have what UBIsoft published or nothing at all?

Considering I havn't bought anything from ubisoft in a while...since I don't care for their mass market offerings...  Well i'd like to see what someone else could cook up with their IP.  Not neccessarily EA but Ubisoft is a wash if what you want is old style sims.  Your way of base there.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 04:36:06 PM »

I'm just saying I like all the sims UBIsoft is putting out.  And if you don't care about them, then I see why this whle deal doesn't bother you.

But with sims like Silent Hunter III coming out next year, we're struggling to hang onto a tiny part of what's left and Battlefront and UBIsoft are the only ones delivering.  IF EA purchased UBIoft, they'd cancel all the military sims because they're too risky with too low profit potential.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 04:41:08 PM »

They are still trying to buy Battlefield developer Digital Illusions. Let me be clear..I HATE EA!

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 04:47:48 PM »

Odd that Ubi and Dice are both have a history with racing games.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 04:49:43 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

they do?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 05:02:17 PM »

Microsoft needs to get off their ass and start outbidding EA.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 05:22:51 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

they do?

I'm not sure on Ubi's titles (can't think of it), but DICE made Rallisport Challenge 1 and 2 and Midtown Madness 3 (jpinard wouldn't know this since he stated he doesn't own a console).

As for EA, I personally have no problem with them and I buy their games of my own free will.  Do I buy all their games?  No.  Do I buy a lot of them?  Yes.  I mostly buy the games from the developers EA has gobbled up (like Westwood and Maxis for instance) and I rarely buy internal EA studio projects (outside of EA Sports and BIG) because they tend to be of lesser quality.

Maybe Ubisoft needed an infusion of cash or something.  I'm sure things aren't selling as well this year as they did last year for Ubisoft and they basically have a sequel out this year for everything brought out last year (Myst IV, PoP: Warrior Within, RS3: Black Arrow, etc.), all of which probably sold less copies than the original (I know Pandora Tomorrow did).  Does this mean EA is going to take over Ubi?  Who knows.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 05:24:49 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"

I think Microsoft is very trigger shy after the huge amount they unloaded for Rare with nothing to show for it to date.  You may see something finally come out of it in March when Conker comes out or on the next system, but it's going on however many years with little to show for it.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 05:29:31 PM »

I would be afriad of MS buying out, and making X-Box versions of everything.  I still think Halo would have been way better if it'd stayed on track for pc - instead of being a console port.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004, 05:46:58 PM »

UBI had a couple of racing games.  Their most famous being POD.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 05:49:21 PM »

Quote from: "dangerballs"
UBI had a couple of racing games.  Their most famous being POD.

WOW, I remember all the hype surrounding that game!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 06:02:18 PM »

I've never even heard of that game...I was thinking of their sim offerings, including a couple of F1 titles.

DICE also made Rally Masters and 2 Swedish Touring Car Championship titles.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 06:41:10 PM »

Yes, I have doubt about EA intending to corner/destory PC Gaming

Sorry, I do not think that is their intention.  I just do not seem them sitting in their board room saying "ok, how can we destroy PC Gaming guys?"

Sorry for picking on the wording of your title to the subject but you are the one being a little dramatic about it
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2004, 07:06:03 PM »

Quote from: "croman"
Yes, I have doubt about EA intending to corner/destory PC Gaming

Sorry, I do not think that is their intention.  I just do not seem them sitting in their board room saying "ok, how can we destroy PC Gaming guys?"

Sorry for picking on the wording of your title to the subject but you are the one being a little dramatic about it

Kinda my point in straightfoward words.

EA is not destroying gaming.  It is changing it from niche to mass market.  Exactly what niche gamers thought they wanted a few years ago.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2004, 09:05:34 PM »

EA is not destroying gaming. It is changing it from niche to mass market. Exactly what niche gamers thought they wanted a few years ago.

Same as killing it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2004, 09:07:34 PM »

Unless of course you take into account that PC gmaing was a "niche" market for 20+ years before recentlly.  And had enough success as such that it grew into a mass market.

morlac00 on PSN
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2004, 09:10:43 PM »

for what it's worth, EA was the publisher for the Jane's series of military sims back in the day.  those were without a doubt the best sims of their time and their gameplay still holds up very well today (although they look pretty dated).

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2004, 12:48:52 AM »

What I meant was EA would never publish a military sim NOW such as Lock-On, Silent Hunter, Il-2 Sturmovik.  I loved the old Jane's Combat games.  But EA (maybe becasue Jane's didn't make enough), woudl not do that now.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2004, 02:43:30 AM »

What I meant was EA would never publish a military sim NOW such as Lock-On, Silent Hunter, Il-2 Sturmovik.  I loved the old Jane's Combat games.  But EA (maybe becasue Jane's didn't make enough), woudl not do that now.

Basically nobody would publisher a a flight Sim like the Janes titles anymore, just like Adventure games are pretty much the domain of smaller companies like The Adventure Company. At least outside of the couple of Myst titles recently.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2004, 12:22:36 PM »

EA Games buy Sony Games division? What have you been smoking, because I need some! Got a date with a fine spanish beauty tonight.
Thats like Sony selling themselves to Microsoft. They have so much money (not only from the playstation series but from their movies, dvds and vcrs, tvs, computers, you name it, sony does it. Why on earth would they sell part of their company to EA? If anything they'd try to acquire EA and call it "Sony EA Games") they don't need to sell any of their divisions within the company.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2004, 03:31:18 PM »

EA tredi to buy the NBA license.  It was rejected.  Now what about the NHL's decision?

http://sports.ign.com/articles/574/574539p1.html?fromint=1
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2004, 03:49:30 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
EA Games buy Sony Games division? What have you been smoking, because I need some! Got a date with a fine spanish beauty tonight.
Thats like Sony selling themselves to Microsoft. They have so much money (not only from the playstation series but from their movies, dvds and vcrs, tvs, computers, you name it, sony does it. Why on earth would they sell part of their company to EA? If anything they'd try to acquire EA and call it "Sony EA Games") they don't need to sell any of their divisions within the company.

Actually SCE is currently the only profitable division of the company from what I've heard. All their other divisions haven't been doing all that well but again it would make no sense for them to sell off their money maker.

How does this work again?
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2004, 05:59:48 PM »

Guess I can surrender any hopes for Sub Culture 2 frown
Bulletproof
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2004, 06:01:51 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Quote from: "Eco-Logic"

I think Microsoft is very trigger shy after the huge amount they unloaded for Rare with nothing to show for it to date.  You may see something finally come out of it in March when Conker comes out or on the next system, but it's going on however many years with little to show for it.

What are you smoking? You mean Grabbed by the Ghoulies didn't strike you as a GOTY candidate? I'm shocked I tell ya. Shocked.  :wink:
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2004, 07:07:25 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
EA is not destroying gaming. It is changing it from niche to mass market. Exactly what niche gamers thought they wanted a few years ago.

Same as killing it.

I dunno. IIRC, the video game industry has made 5+ Billion / year for more than 3 years; I think what's happening is that its starting to emulate itself too much. It *has* been mass market for a long time, it's just that everything coming out is a military shooter, platformer with quirky characters, or anime "inspired" RPGs.

It's like my video games all became the same effen game. Everything is the same lyrics, same beat, same song. Artistic diversity has given way to stockholder profit margins.

Hold on tight boys, piano ties and 60hr work-weeks are coming back with the 80s all over again. Age of aquarius; my *A*S*S*.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2004, 04:20:28 PM »

Quick thought: In the short fun, less profitable sims and other games could certainly fall off the radar if EA and other companies expand the gaming industry into mainstream America. However, with a much larger total base later on.....sims and niche games could actually become more possible as the small percent of a larger base makes it more profitable. Hard to say....but it could be better in the long run :-)
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2004, 11:03:14 PM »

If I based everything off this thread, I would say the only thing EA is killing off is the hardcore simulation games which I never got into anyways. Personally, I like EA's offerings because there is usually a level of quality with it. The Command & Conquer series is still great and I'm estatic about them continuing Red Alert, the games haven't become any easier since EA ate Westwood.

What will hopefully happen is smaller companies will continue releasing those simulation titles. It also seems like foreign developers (German and Swedish) are covering some of the less mainstream genres with games like Silent Storm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: