http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 04:39:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone getting Radiata Stories?  (Read 3110 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2005, 08:05:49 PM »

Anyone planning on getting Radiata Stories tomorrow?  With all the RPGs coming out before the end of the year, I'm trying to only pay full price for the ones that are likely to become rare quickly, so I'm going to hold off a few weeks on Radiata until I can get it used.  It's from the makers of the spectacular Star Ocean : Till the End of Time, and reviews are ranging from 7.5-8.5.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 08:09:18 PM »

I debated on it, but thanks to the guys here on the PC forum, I'm currently playing Baldur's Gate 2. biggrin

That'll keep me occupied until Oblivion comes out.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 09:28:48 PM »

I loved Star Ocean 3 so I'll definitely be getting Radiata Stories. It will be a few weeks though.  I've got a cross country move coming up at the end of this week plus I'm already embroiled in RPG overload while simultaneously replaying Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Chrono Trigger.  

I like what I've read about RS and I'm actually glad that it looks significantly shorter than SO3.  It took me approx 75 hours to beat Star Ocean and I don't see myself putting that amount of time into a single game until Dragon Quest 8's release.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 09:41:11 PM »

I'll be getting it, just don't know when. I want to finish Ys, and then I still have Nocturne, several Strat Rpgs, Star Ocean and a ton of other rpgs left on the plate, not to mention DQ8... Who needs next gen?

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 10:01:37 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Who needs next gen?

thank you - couldn't've said it better...

i had such a surprisingly great time with so:eot that it's mighty tempting, despite the somewhat negative reviews (& i'm with kevin on the 'less is just fine' part). will be picking up my reserved copy of rebelstar later this week, at which point i guess i'll find out if my 'resistance is futile' or not (nothing on my back-burner but the 2 zelda: oracle games - & my deluxe edition copy of death jr (ugh!) is just dying to get traded in)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 10:10:20 PM »

I was JUST about to make this topic!   biggrin

Yes I'm receiving it in the mail tomorrow.  And yes, I should have some impressions up by tomorrow night as well.

I wasn't originally going to get it, but a couple of factors made me decide to purchase it:

a)  I <3 my RPGs
b)  Developed by Tri-Ace (though, I didn't like Star Ocean 3 very much, I did love the heck out of Valkyrie Profile
c)  Square-enix?  Hello!  Fanboy-ism is at full-throttle with that company

SO yep.  I'm not expecting anything totally worthwhile . . . just a "fun" humor-filled RPG that I can have some fun playing.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 12:39:20 AM »

Well, my Gamestop.com order is messed.  The game is now "backordered" and I was on the line on hold trying to cancel my unshipped item for about 30 minutes.  So I just e-mailed in the cancellation - hope that works.

So I suppose I'll have to make the trek Wednesday to pick it up.  Impressions tomorrow night!

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 12:43:21 AM »

As big of an RPG as I am, I have yet to enjoy an Enix-developed game.  The Dragon Warrior games are dreadfully dull, Valkyrie Profile is not nearly as good as the rabid fans say it is, and I despised nearly everything about Star Ocean III.  So I'm sure I'll try Radiata stories eventually, but not I can find it cheap and used.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 02:55:53 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
As big of an RPG as I am, I have yet to enjoy an Enix-developed game.  The Dragon Warrior games are dreadfully dull, Valkyrie Profile is not nearly as good as the rabid fans say it is, and I despised nearly everything about Star Ocean III.  So I'm sure I'll try Radiata stories eventually, but not I can find it cheap and used.

Uh bite your tongue. Dragon Quest rocks the hizzouse. Anyways, what the heck is this game about? Is the combat TB or stupid SO style action?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 04:40:01 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"

Uh bite your tongue. Dragon Quest rocks the hizzouse. Anyways, what the heck is this game about? Is the combat TB or stupid SO style action?

Stupid SO style.  Though, apparently it's a bit "dumbed down" from that.  And you're only able to play as Jack, the main character.  No switching shall be done in Radiata Stories!

Though I like that aspect as long as the A.I. is a bit better than Star Ocean's A.I.  I hated it how sometimes my teammates would cast a WHOLE BUNCH of spells, drain their mp down, and then get hit with some weak mp hit and die.  Yeeeah sure you could change up their tactics and such, but still.  Didn't like the A.I. in Star Ocean 3.

The game parallels (to an extent) a sort of Shenmue type of world to it, where it's an on-going constant world.  SO people are out during the day, might be in during the night or at a bar, that sort of thing.  Not TOO much like Shenmue, but I guess a tiny bit like it in that regard.

You can recruit 176 other characters to fight with you.  Nifty.

Pretty light-hearted game.  It doesn't take itself very seriously apparently.  Which I sometimes like in a game!

There ya have it Rage.  A little sypnosis for you!

Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 04:43:09 AM »

Nice cover art for the NA release, though some may prefer the original version.

Japanese version

depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 05:03:45 AM »

Whoa I like that Japanese cover art!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 05:39:53 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
Whoa I like that Japanese cover art!

That japanese art ROCKS!  thumbsup
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 06:14:02 AM »

the american cover art is actually pretty darn nice though.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 02:28:59 PM »

SO3 definitely sucks, but the rest of what you wrote makes you a HEATHEN!!!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 02:29:28 PM »

And Radiata Stories got assy reviews, so I'll be passing up on this one.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 05:47:31 PM »

Once again, anyone with a Fry's in there neck of the woods- Radiata Stories is $40 w/ free poster.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 06:49:33 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Once again, anyone with a Fry's in there neck of the woods- Radiata Stories is $40 w/ free poster.

Okay, for $10 less than retail on a game that odds are I'll buy anyway... What the heck.

I hate you for pointing out this deal, by the way. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2005, 06:52:49 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
SO3 definitely sucks, but the rest of what you wrote makes you a HEATHEN!!!

Heh, so I've been told.  Different strokes and all that...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2005, 06:55:28 PM »

"And Radiata Stories got assy reviews, so I'll be passing up on this one."
I'm not sure of the exact definition of "assy" slywink, but the reviews range mostly in the 7/10 range, with an 8 from IGN and 4.5/5 from RPGamer on the high end.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2005, 07:22:16 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

I hate you for pointing out this deal, by the way. biggrin

If it makes you hate me any less I'll only have have a Fry's local to me for two more days smile  I'll soon be back among the "damn I wish I had a Fry's near me"  club.  

I'm sorely tempted by the offer too.  Unfortunately I just purchased a new, second HDTV, a widescreen LCD monitor from Dell, an IPod Mini, plus all the expenses that will be incurred by driving cross country.  Not quite sure how I'll justify Radiata Stories to my wife but I'll have to think on it smile  Then again, I feel like I should probably pick up Rebelstar Tactical Command first since it's likely to be rare soon, something almost certain not to happen to RS.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2005, 07:28:35 PM »

I read a review on this last night and when they talked about the "juvenile story" and boring progression I lost most interest.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2005, 07:55:39 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
"And Radiata Stories got assy reviews, so I'll be passing up on this one."
I'm not sure of the exact definition of "assy" slywink, but the reviews range mostly in the 7/10 range, with an 8 from IGN and 4.5/5 from RPGamer on the high end.
Scores aren't bad, the reviews' text is what made me say "Hell No."

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2005, 09:13:09 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
If it makes you hate me any less I'll only have have a Fry's local to me for two more days smile  I'll soon be back among the "damn I wish I had a Fry's near me"  club.  

I'm sorely tempted by the offer too.  Unfortunately I just purchased a new, second HDTV, a widescreen LCD monitor from Dell, an IPod Mini, plus all the expenses that will be incurred by driving cross country.  Not quite sure how I'll justify Radiata Stories to my wife but I'll have to think on it smile  Then again, I feel like I should probably pick up Rebelstar Tactical Command first since it's likely to be rare soon, something almost certain not to happen to RS.

But you're saving $10! How can you possibly pass that one up? biggrin

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2005, 04:31:02 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

But you're saving $10! How can you possibly pass that one up? biggrin

Uh, well, I didn't.  I'm weak!!! Was at Fry's tonight for something else and couldn't resist.

Won't be any impressions from for quite a while though.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2005, 04:34:01 AM »

Was at Fry's tonight for something else and couldn't resist.

Yeaa.....something 'else'...sure..... slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
depward

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2005, 06:57:43 AM »

Got it, played a little bit of it (NHL 2k6 online got a LOAD of playing time tonight), need to write a paper right now, but I'll play a bit more tonight (tomorrow morning, heh) and come back with some impressions!

So far I'm VERY impressed!!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2005, 09:04:07 AM »

After playing two hours tonight I'm really enjoying Radiata Stories.  A word of warning though - everyone knows how it is when it comes to new games.  The first several hours, although being a pretty good indicator of how one likes a game, can also be somewhat deceiving to the player.  I could THINK this game is really great and fun and such but discover several hours later that I don't.

Fortunately, I don't think Radiata Stories is that type of game.

From the two hours I've played, I'm really digging Radiata Stories.  Like I noted before, the graphics are phenomenal.  It has a pretty distinct and unique look.  The characters are very finely detailed in the field as well as those "speaking" parts where from about the top of the chest to the top of the person is animated.

Voice acting is pretty dang good.  Everything seems quite natural and there haven't been any of those awkward weird sentences that seem like questions but are in reality just statement-type of instances.  SO!  Voices match their animated counterparts quite nicely.

And there is a lot of humor involved!  A couple of times I actually laughed out loud!  And some characters I've come across (especially the always-drunk dwarfs) are truly eccentric.  A mage-type of dude that you party with early on is a weirdo.  But, like I said, the voice-acting matches up to his character nicely.

Battles do seem like Star Ocean but "dumbed down" to an extent.  You can only control one character in battle - Jack.  And it's essentially (almost) a hack-n-slash type of thing.  But there is a bit of strategy involved so you don't go in there O-button a'blazin'.  You can block and counter-attack, dodge, or use a nice Volty attack.  I personally like this "dumbed down" battle system, because it simplifies things for me.  It just seemed like Star Ocean: Till the End of Time was too chaotic.

The music has been pretty light-hearted and upbeat.  It has some pretty neat tunes!

That being said, so far, it does seem a little "juvenile" . . . but you know, I'm fine with that.  There hasn't been anything TOO juvenile, nono, so it's not obscenely juvenile.  But the world the game takes place in - with the "morphed"-looking anime'ish kind of characters - gives it that kind of juvenile "feel" to it.

So I am indeed enjoying it!  The kicking aspect of the game might get old after awhile, buuut I like to go around kicking various objects.  Such as desks.  People.  Or chickens.  But so far, it's been quite fun!  Having a good time with it!

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2005, 05:53:24 PM »

Sound great Dep.  Makes me want to bump it up on my queue a bit.  Still will be a minimum of a week before I can play it though.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2005, 10:59:46 PM »

a couple hours in, & i agree with depward: dumbed down but not dumb, silly but not irritatingly so, it's so:eot lite, doesn't try to be anything more, & is almost relaxingly enjoyable. the voices & music are fine (the main characters are very good), & the colorful, simple graphic style is pretty & works well. it has that feel of a kids game that doesn't condescend - maybe not as polished or clever as superstar saga or paper mario 2, but along those lines...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2005, 11:19:04 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
a couple hours in, & i agree with depward: dumbed down but not dumb, silly but not irritatingly so, it's so:eot lite, doesn't try to be anything more, & is almost relaxingly enjoyable. the voices & music are fine (the main characters are very good), & the colorful, simple graphic style is pretty & works well. it has that feel of a kids game that doesn't condescend - maybe not as polished or clever as superstar saga or paper mario 2, but along those lines...

Agreed!  (Wait - I'm agreeing that you're agreeing?  How does that work?!)

But I'm still really enjoying it!  Those dwarfs are seriously nutty as heck though . . .

As far as battle is concerned, yeah, it plays more "hack-n-slash" than anything else really.  But I like that!  Plus you still have options on different attacks that you can learn.  And there are numerous other types of weapons to be had!

It's just a silly kind of RPG.  And I'm enjoying it a LOT!  Won't be able to play much this weekend (parents are in town) but it seems as though semi and I are on the same wave-length   biggrin

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2005, 12:20:10 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
It's just a silly kind of RPG.  And I'm enjoying it a LOT!  Won't be able to play much this weekend (parents are in town) but it seems as though semi and I are on the same wave-length   biggrin

hehheh...

bashing my way along & still having fun, but, man, why so stingy with the save spots?! not to mention, word is that you go right from the end of dungeons to the bosses with no save spot in between? (granted, no respawning enemies lets you double back pretty easily, but that's a type of 'extended gameplay' i've always been happy to live without). *sigh!* - should've known this wasn't gonna be the piece of cake it appeared to be...

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2005, 07:34:16 AM »

Best Buy has it on sale this week for $40.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2005, 10:42:42 PM »

man,...

either i'm a sucker for mediocre games, or this one was very under-rated. granted, it's my first experience playing a 'stalker sim', but i'm really impressed by this game, double-backing & all (finally having access to the warp points definitely helps). very well put together, great characters, very consistent dumb but low-key sense of humor - maybe not a world-class rpg, but very tight, & (for me, anyway) more just plain enjoyable than some more ambitious titles (sh:c, tos) i've played in the last while...

weirdly addictive & lovable (& the story, so far, ain't half-bad either). i'm officially hooked...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2005, 11:15:27 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
man,...

either i'm a sucker for mediocre games, or this one was very under-rated. granted, it's my first experience playing a 'stalker sim', but i'm really impressed by this game, double-backing & all (finally having access to the warp points definitely helps). very well put together, great characters, very consistent dumb but low-key sense of humor - maybe not a world-class rpg, but very tight, & (for me, anyway) more just plain enjoyable than some more ambitious titles (sh:c, tos) i've played in the last while...

weirdly addictive & lovable (& the story, so far, ain't half-bad either). i'm officially hooked...

Hey glad to hear it!

I haven't probably put as much time into RS as you (been SUPER busy with school), but I'm finding it the same way.  I don't know why it was panned in reviews so bad really . . . sure the combat is pretty simplistic.  But I find it fun!  The world it's set in, with orcs that have shades and drunken dwarves and such, is fun and enjoyable.  It's just fun to play!

The great appeal that I've had with this game is that it doesn't overstep its boundries.  It doesn't over-reach with anything really.  It's just an enjoyable game experience.  And sometimes that's just what I want!

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2005, 04:14:26 AM »

just finished (via the non-human path)...

radiata stories is a minor masterpiece, simple but amazingly effective. good story, very good characters, &, if not always seriously challenging, always fun...

a genuine sleeper, & a game to be savored (speaking of which, if, once you're out on the town, you only save between midnight & six am, you can spend as much time as you like signing on friends with no fear of triggering off the storyline)...

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2005, 05:03:23 AM »

How was the combat all told compared to SO3?
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2005, 03:57:51 PM »

I absolutely feel like I need to get this. It looks awesome. Like the spiritual successor to Threads of Fate, which I liked. Definately looks like a lot of fun, but I have too many RPGs and Strat RPGs in the backlog. Too many.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2005, 05:22:46 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
How was the combat all told compared to SO3?

everything about the game, including the combat (you only control jack directly, who has a regular, a charged, & an over-drive attack, & a defend / defend-counter move, & can also perform linked attacks) is so3 lite, but, in this case, lite makes rite, & radiata stories is, in many ways, a more satisfying & cohesive game over-all than so3, which i really liked...

what you gotta understand going in is that the town of radiata itself is pretty much the sandbox-like main component of basically the first half of the game, &, unless (with generous amounts of online help in my case) you're up for lots of character stalking/signing, sprinkled with a number of guild missions, you're probably not gonna have a whole lot of 'traditional rpg' -type fun. myself, i just really got sucked into it - the town's gorgeous, the variety of characters is excellent, & hooking up with the major bad-asses available is pretty satisfying (there is a point to this, btw - jack learns his different 'skills' by fighting along side characters who have them)...

on the other hand, depending on what path you choose halfway, you can pretty much end up (which i did) parting ways with most of'm?. in which case, it's time to scoop up some elves & dwarves & orcs smile ..

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2005, 06:47:12 PM »

Thanks for the impressions man, maybe I will rent it when I have some time in the near future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: