http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 09:53:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone find they don't buy downloadable titles (XBLA, WiiWare, PSN) anymore?  (Read 2147 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2009, 06:33:52 PM »

Back when I first got my XBox 360, I was buying arcade titles like it was going out of style.  I think this mostly had to do with the fact that there weren't that many great disc games out and the Wii and PS3 weren't released, so I didn't have 3 systems I could buy games for.  The last time I bought some titles were when I got Shadow Complex, Trials HD, and Splosion Man.  I beat Shadow Complex, but only because I love Metroidvania games and I tinkered with Trials and Splosion, but moved on quickly.

I have three systems I could buy downloadable games on and yet I don't buy any because I tend not to have time to play all of the awesome disc-based games I own and so I am certainly not going to make time for these smaller games.

Are there any of you out there that mostly play downloaded games (XBLA, WiiWare, or the PSN games)?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:53:35 PM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 06:48:08 PM »

My wife loves XBLA games.  She played the crap out of Zuma (I think she has the highest score of anyone I know, including GTers), and she's currently playing Bejeweled and Peggle.  I play a bit of XBLA, especially when non-gaming friends are over, but in the beginning I purchased arcade games like they were going out of style, and now I only buy the must-haves.  Peggle was the last one I picked up based upon reviews and it was well worth it.  My wife wanted Bejeweled so I grabbed that as well.  But lately I haven't been interested at all.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 06:48:21 PM »

I don't mostly play them, but I bought a lot more in the past year than the first year I owned my 360. I think they have been coming out with higher quality titles and better updates than they have had in the past. I bought the three that you mentioned, plus Peggle, both Banjo games and Call of Duty Classic. I will likely buy Perfect Dark when it comes out.

The only PSN game I have bought was the Ratchet game, although I want to check out Flower.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 06:51:18 PM »

I like the PSN offerings much better than XBL, but I do buy XBL games from time-to-time.  I never bought every weekly release though.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 06:54:36 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 17, 2009, 06:48:21 PM

The only PSN game I have bought was the Ratchet game, although I want to check out Flower.

I bought both of those as well.  It's funny, because I count Ratchet as a full title and not kind of an "arcade" title, but it wasn't really that long, I suppose.

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 07:00:28 PM »

I typically don't buy them - except when they're on sale.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 07:01:27 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 17, 2009, 06:51:18 PM

I like the PSN offerings much better than XBL, but I do buy XBL games from time-to-time.  I never bought every weekly release though.

I actually used to buy them every week back when the product launched.  It was crazy.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 07:22:57 PM »

I've only bought a few and unless something uber comes along I ignore the arcade altogether.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 08:00:29 PM »

i've actually bought more DL games this year than any year before.  sometimes, it's the sale priced offerings on psn like flower and prince of persia, and sometimes it's the anticipated game of the moment like shadow complex, splosion man, shooter, and alien breed.  hell, i still haven't played the last guy, even though it's been over a year since i bought it.  i'd have to check my catalog for what i bought this year, but as long as the game looks like fun, i'll give it a chance.

the biggest change though is this; i used to have the xbox set to download every trial game automatically.  now, i don't bother unless the game looks good.

i should add that in the three-ish years i had the wii, i never bought anything off the wii store.  a few reasons for that, despite all the good stuff available.  i bought a 360 6 months after the wii and stopped playing any wii games except big titles.  most of the games early on were either ones i had played or those i had no interest in, and all were quite expensive to boot. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 08:06:24 PM by Caine » Logged

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 08:05:56 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 17, 2009, 06:33:52 PM

I have three systems I could buy downloadable games on and yet I don't buy any because I tend not to have time to play all of the awesome disc-based games I own and so I am certainly not going to make time for these smaller games.

not into it (with a very few exceptions, like flower & my life as a king), for much the same reason: i've never been an arcade gamer, & would rather spend what playing time i have on full-length titles. i tried, initially, & i do admire the effort that goes into some of them, but it's just not my thing...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 08:14:56 PM »

I've bought a handful of them, but really haven't played them for any serious amount of time.

A lot of the XBLA titles like peggle or bejewled I can play on my ITouch. I've already bought them there, so I don't really have any reason to play them on the 360.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 08:29:26 PM »

I've gotten to the point where I don't.  I have enough interesting games in the backlog that I'm usually turning the 360 on for one of those.  I have gotten sidetracked with 1 vs 100 but that's free smile

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 09:08:08 PM »

of course, the 15-20 price isn't worth it for about 100% of the XBLA titles released. gtfo with that shitty ass price. bring them back to 5-10 and I might look at XBLA titles again. Unless it's geowar 3. i don't give a shit about them anymore.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 09:10:54 PM »

I stopped buying iPhone games, if that counts... I OD'd on them after a few months.

xbox live: nude rick james
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 09:32:19 PM »

Quote from: Clay on December 17, 2009, 09:10:54 PM

I stopped buying iPhone games, if that counts... I OD'd on them after a few months.

It does and I have stopped as well.  I don't want to use up precious battery life playing games.  I did buy Dragon's Lair, though, because I couldn't resist it.  Oh, and I bought Canabalt, but that is really a game you can play very quickly.  The only game I play consistently is Word Jong.  I play it every day without fail.  I see cool games like Ravensword and I just think about how I don't want to use up my battery playing it and also think about how I could play better games on my DS and PSP, one of which I usually have on me at all times, if not both of them.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 09:37:51 PM »

I've never been much of a downloadable game guy.

I think the last one I bought was Braid when it first came out.  And I still haven't finished it.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 09:48:56 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on December 17, 2009, 09:08:08 PM

of course, the 15-20 price isn't worth it for about 100% of the XBLA titles released. gtfo with that shitty ass price. bring them back to 5-10 and I might look at XBLA titles again. Unless it's geowar 3. i don't give a shit about them anymore.

This too.  They priced themselves out of the impulse buy category.  And the community games are too much work to filter, though they are in the impulse range.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 10:38:53 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on December 17, 2009, 09:08:08 PM

Same here when the price was 5-10 I bought a ton of them when they started to charge 15-20 pass unless it's just stellar.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 11:52:12 PM »

I take the opposite approach.  When time is short and I'm busy with work, I'm far more likely to play an XBox Live game.  They're less involved and less complicated, so they're easier to get into on a short time schedule.  I'm more likely to play regular games after I've been pushing at work, made some major deadlines, and then things slow down and I have more free time at home.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 11:58:48 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on December 17, 2009, 11:52:12 PM

I take the opposite approach.  When time is short and I'm busy with work, I'm far more likely to play an XBox Live game.  They're less involved and less complicated, so they're easier to get into on a short time schedule.  I'm more likely to play regular games after I've been pushing at work, made some major deadlines, and then things slow down and I have more free time at home.

Well, with my work, I am either at home (rare) or on the road (mostly).  So, I find that when I get home and I want to game, I want to play a full-fledged game.  Although, I think even if was in a scenario where I just wanted to play for 30 minutes, I will still go for a full game.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 09:05:24 AM »

I buy a lot of games from Xbox and PSN stores... They are cheap and fun mostly, and I like to support the smaller developers this way to encourage games that isnt done just to make a quick cash-in.

Also, there are some real gems in there. The most played games on my Xbox is XBLA games (Worms armageddon, Puzzle quest and so on).

On the ps3 the pickings are a bit slimmer, but Flower was pretty damn good

A new one
KC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 11:54:18 AM »

I still buy downloadable games since they are much cheaper and tend to be more different/original than store bought games (at least the ones that I buy).
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 01:18:14 PM »

I don't buy them because I refuse to buy XBL points.  If they sold them for cash, I would probably buy some.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 01:38:21 PM »

I'm with you there. I hate the point system and has prevented me from buying at least 5-6 games. I don't pay enough attention to it to know how the points translate into dollars and I refuse to buy something when I don't know how much I'm paying for it. Sure, it's my fault for not figuring out that exchange rate, but there are a lot of other thing that I do with my time and that's just not a high priority. I don't have a good memory for thing like that, anyhow, and the sparsity of my xbox live purchases probably would require me to look it up each time I wanted to buy a game. The points also prevent impulse purchases. I wanted to buy Shadow Company, for example, but I didn't have any points. Then I found out that I didn't change my billing address with Microsoft after I moved. Then I didn't have my password to log into their billing site...  30 minutes later, I had the points and bought the game, but it was a frustrating process.

xbox live: nude rick james
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 01:46:35 PM »

I love XBLA games, and bought a boatload of them the first year and a half, but not so much as of late. Not because I've lost interest in the concept but rather that the titles themselves just haven't excited me since then. I bought MtG and Splosion Man around the same time but nothing since. I have the Military Madness demo (the original was my favorite game on the TG16) but it just doesn't scratch that same itch. Meteos is one of my favorite titles on the DS but I just don't like how it translates to the XBLA without the stylus. Etc, etc.

I keep playing the ones I have though so I do hope XBLA continues to release new goodies into the mix.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 05:10:13 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on December 18, 2009, 01:18:14 PM

I don't buy them because I refuse to buy XBL points.  If they sold them for cash, I would probably buy some.

Quote from: Clay on December 18, 2009, 01:38:21 PM

I'm with you there. I hate the point system and has prevented me from buying at least 5-6 games. I don't pay enough attention to it to know how the points translate into dollars and I refuse to buy something when I don't know how much I'm paying for it.

i think i must be the only one who likes the points system, especially for how they abstract the value of them.  if they simply said $20 like the psn and wii cards, you wouldn't see near as many sales on them, imho.  at least none that i've ever seen.  as it is now, once a year target and toysrus either drop the price, give you a gift card, or make them eligible for 2for1 deals.  if the damn tru site had let me order it, i would have been able to grab 4800 points for $40.  that would have dropped the purchase price of anything i got with it by a third.  instant sale price.

Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 05:15:06 PM »

Aren't most of the games available through Amazon too?  I bought Trials HD through Amazon.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 05:17:25 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 18, 2009, 05:10:13 PM

i think i must be the only one who likes the points system, especially for how they abstract the value of them.  if they simply said $20 like the psn and wii cards, you wouldn't see near as many sales on them, imho.  at least none that i've ever seen.  as it is now, once a year target and toysrus either drop the price, give you a gift card, or make them eligible for 2for1 deals.  if the damn tru site had let me order it, i would have been able to grab 4800 points for $40.  that would have dropped the purchase price of anything i got with it by a third.  instant sale price.

My biggest problem with the points system is having to buy more points than things cost.  PSN has it the best where, as long as the purchase is $5 or more, you can pay the exact price.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2009, 05:45:57 PM »

I agree on disliking the points nonsense.  I don't purchase a ton of downloadable stuff, and being forced to buy more points than I actually need is a dealbreaker more often than not.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »

true, and i love that they do that, but in the end, i'm not losing out on points as long as they keep releasing something worth buying.  i'm just banking them.  when i get a deal on them, i feel the trade off is worth it.  

now, even if they had done this for wii, i wouldn't have done the same thing as i had little dedicated interest in playing straight ports of old console games.

amazon is pretty good with sales too, although i haven't got any that way yet.  

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2009, 05:51:20 PM »

The itunes store has taught us that people will buy almost anything on impulse if the price is low enough.  The points system adds another step into the process, and the need to buy extra points drives up what it costs.  Both of those things interrupt the "impulse buy" process and the end result is that I don't make the purchase.  It seems like it's a blatant money grab from Microsoft, and at the end of the day it's a foolish one, because I think they lose more sales than whatever they're making off the money people spend on points they don't use.  Of course, Bill Gates is a billionaire and I'm not, so maybe I'm wrong.  But that's why I don't buy XBLA stuff, or most DLC for that matter.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2009, 06:18:53 PM »

just buy the games on amazon.com and you don't need points
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2009, 07:28:34 PM »

Haven't really touched them since iPhone gaming took off.  I probably buy an average of 4-5 iphone games a week.  I'm now well into my eighth page on the phone smile  It's really taken over both console downloadable games and any game buying for my DS.  The last thing I bought for DS was Scribblenauts which was a disappointment I felt, and I have DQ5 that's been sitting around 90% completion for about a year or so now.

I definitely do want to get PixelJunk Shooter though.  Looks great.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2009, 07:40:44 PM »

Back when I first got my XBox 360, I was buying arcade titles like it was going out of style.  I think this mostly had to do with the fact that there weren't that many great disc games out and the Wii and PS3 weren't released, so I didn't have 3 systems I could buy games for.  The last time I bought some titles were when I got Shadow Complex, Trials HD, and Splosion Man.  I beat Shadow Complex, but only because I love Metroidvania games and I tinkered with Trials and Splosion, but moved on quickly.

Are there any of you out there that mostly play downloaded games (XBLA, WiiWare, or the PSN games)?

The thread title applies to me. I'll occasionally buy one, but for the most part, I just think the quality has dropped off dramatically. Shadow Complex was decent, but for everyone of those games, there are 5 pieces of junk or games that are completely unappealing.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2009, 07:50:32 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 18, 2009, 06:18:53 PM

just buy the games on amazon.com and you don't need points

I would probably do that if there was anything I really wanted.  However, not all XBLA titles are available on Amazon, DLC (for regular titles) as a general rule isn't available, and the added step of ordering the code off my computer is generally enough to interrupt that "impulse buy flow".

Gamertag = IkeV
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2009, 09:55:26 PM »

I have bought a few XBLA titles, but I don't really have a habit of doing it.

Any XBLA game that looks interesting I'll grab the demo of and check it out.  If it's something I think I'll really enjoy and play, I'll most likely purchase it.  Recent purchases include Battlefield 1943, Magic: The Gathering, Shadow Complex, Pinball FX, and Galactrix.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2009, 02:22:00 AM »

I just don't have the space for it and wont until MS come to their senses and drop the price of the HDD

XBox GAMERTAG:Juniordan     ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222  ()  ()  ()
PlayStation: Spinks      ()  ()  ()
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2009, 06:21:31 AM »

I still buy them, but I buy less than I used to.  I've more or less stopped buying any downloads for the Wii as I've already bought most of what was really good among the classics and there's very few Wiiware titles that appeal to me. I've yet to upgrade my original 360's - 20 GB HD, so I'm careful about downloading large XBLA titles.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2009, 07:32:42 AM »

Quote from: Caine on December 18, 2009, 05:10:13 PM

Quote from: Clay on December 18, 2009, 01:38:21 PM

I'm with you there. I hate the point system and has prevented me from buying at least 5-6 games. I don't pay enough attention to it to know how the points translate into dollars and I refuse to buy something when I don't know how much I'm paying for it.

Yes you are, if you enjoy giving people a free loan, I'll gladly hold your money paying you no interest. Also the fact that you can never hit 0. Thanks to rock band my points are all over. Why the hell should i spend 5 bucks to add 10 god damn points so i can buy a song? that's completely asinine. this is the biggest bullshit MS has done for the 360. When both of your competitors has done away with a stupid ass fake currency, maybe it's time you should too? At least with the wii you know 100pts=1 dollar. 80pts=1 dollar? wtf is that shit. might as well be 59 for 80 cents or something completely as stupid.

if it wasn't for rock band MS would never get an interest free loan from me. i'm just going to start a site where i can voice everything that's wrong in the industry in hopes that maybe some company will see it and get a god damn wake up call. i'm looking at every god damn company who releases previews of previews. THIS IS YOU, BIOWARE. YOU ARE THE WORST.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2009, 09:35:14 PM »

I bought a couple of WiiWare games like LostWinds, Adventure Island: The Beginning and Mega Man 9.  They were OK, I guess.  I haven't really bought any in a while, and the only one that recently appealed to me was NyxQuest, but I have so many games that I don't have time to try out other ones on top of them.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: