http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 02:34:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else playing the BF:BC (Now not the demo)  (Read 19258 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 25, 2008, 01:36:29 PM »

Quote from: Frogstar on June 25, 2008, 01:27:18 PM

If you aim at someone and see nothing, I think it is pretty safe to assume that it is an enemy. Even when you are far way, when you point at a friendly you should get a blue X in your crosshairs.  The ID system works sort of similar to GTA in that you get more info when you are closer to an enemy and have spotted them.  If they have been spotted by a teammate you will see them as a red dot floating on the screen, and when they get close and you get sight of the same enemy, you'll see their name above their head.

Ahhhhh.  Thanks.  Very helpful.

When do I show up on my enemies radar?  Obviously, when I'm seen.  But how about when I'm firing my weapon and no one had spotted me?  Is it like COD4 where you are on radar whenever you fire (without a silencer)?

Pretty sure that you must be visually spotted. That, plus the lack of the killcam makes it a lot easier to park in one spot as a sniper in this game as opposed to COD.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 25, 2008, 01:40:44 PM »

When do I show up on my enemies radar?  Obviously, when I'm seen.  But how about when I'm firing my weapon and no one had spotted me?  Is it like COD4 where you are on radar whenever you fire (without a silencer)?

My impression is that you appear on radar if: someone keeps their reticule trained on you long enough (inconsistent), someone shoots you (sometimes I just spray my MG on the usual sniper hangouts and see what lights up), or if a sniper tosses a motion sensor your way.

If there's a guy on artillery that's actually contributing to the team, if he keeps his satellite camera trained on an enemy for a bit he'll light them up on the radar.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 25, 2008, 01:53:38 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 25, 2008, 01:40:44 PM

My impression is that you appear on radar if: someone keeps their reticule trained on you long enough (inconsistent), someone shoots you (sometimes I just spray my MG on the usual sniper hangouts and see what lights up), or if a sniper tosses a motion sensor your way.

If there's a guy on artillery that's actually contributing to the team, if he keeps his satellite camera trained on an enemy for a bit he'll light them up on the radar.

And the fact that we have to guess is the reason games are supposed to have real manuals. Stupid EA.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 25, 2008, 01:57:41 PM »

Sometimes the enemy detection in close quarters is a bit spotty. I have TK'd people because no name appeared for the first milisecond my crosshair is on them and I go and blast them only to find out they were friendly.

For the most part it's pretty good though.  It's worth the occaisonal TK to make that mistake.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 25, 2008, 01:58:46 PM »

I've played with VERY few people who are diligent on the Artie (usually they are the type of people who kill each other to get on the artie...), but when you get someone who is good it can totally swing the battle in your favor- calling out locations of enemies, tanks etc...or as mentioned, lighting them up.

In the full game is there artillery on every map? I hope not.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 25, 2008, 02:10:22 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 25, 2008, 01:58:46 PM

I've played with VERY few people who are diligent on the Artie (usually they are the type of people who kill each other to get on the artie...), but when you get someone who is good it can totally swing the battle in your favor- calling out locations of enemies, tanks etc...or as mentioned, lighting them up.

I haven't seen an artillery gun on any of the other maps.  There probably are, but the fact that I haven't seen one likely means that are not on every map.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 25, 2008, 02:14:55 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 25, 2008, 01:58:46 PM

Not at all.  Just on a few, and on one map the artillery seems to lose ranger after just the first point.

Quote from: ATB on June 25, 2008, 01:57:41 PM

Sometimes the enemy detection in close quarters is a bit spotty. I have TK'd people because no name appeared for the first milisecond my crosshair is on them and I go and blast them only to find out they were friendly.

The problem with close quarters is that the friend/foe marker appears above everyone's head, which is off screen if you're in a tight space.  I've started making a point of looking at my teammates at spawn so I can better ingrain in my mind the color uniform I'm not supposed to fill with bullets.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: June 25, 2008, 03:29:28 PM »

I'm enjoying the game a lot more since I moved my Xbox back to my computer desk and switched to my VGA cables.  I know, I know..get with the times,  standard def doesn't cut it anymore...still..the game looked like total crud on an SD television.

Does anyone else feel a little annoyed at the Conquest mode 'coming soon in a free patch'?  That has bugged me since the demo released.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 25, 2008, 03:36:19 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on June 25, 2008, 03:29:28 PM

Does anyone else feel a little annoyed at the Conquest mode 'coming soon in a free patch'?  That has bugged me since the demo released.

Not at all.  It's great that they're adding it in for the purists, but I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with Gold Rush.  It does such a great job of creating a front so you're not just playing whack-a-mole and having small scattered skirmishes.  It's like a huge scale version of the Dustbowl map in Team Fortress 2 which is easily my favorite TF2 map.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: June 25, 2008, 03:43:11 PM »

Too true..I had been getting the 'Dustbowl' vibe from Gold Rush.  Don't get me wrong, Gold Rush is a really nice mode, but.. I just want my flag capturing!  I'm a defender of Flags!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 25, 2008, 03:59:45 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on June 25, 2008, 03:43:11 PM

Too true..I had been getting the 'Dustbowl' vibe from Gold Rush.  Don't get me wrong, Gold Rush is a really nice mode, but.. I just want my flag capturing!  I'm a defender of Flags!

You'll defend your gold crate and you'll like it, dammit!

I'm actually pretty curious how they'll manage converting the maps to a Conquest format in a way that works.  Just about every map I've seen so far is designed to make the points more and more defensible the further the attackers push in, which would make for a pretty lopsided Conquest mode.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 25, 2008, 06:15:08 PM »

Is friendly fire in multiplayer?

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: June 25, 2008, 07:36:02 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on June 25, 2008, 06:15:08 PM

Yes

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 25, 2008, 07:38:39 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on June 25, 2008, 07:36:02 PM

Quote from: Big Jake on June 25, 2008, 06:15:08 PM

Yes
But there's smiley faces on the grenades now so it really is friendly.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 25, 2008, 08:34:12 PM »

strangely i think most of my friend fire incidents were from blowing the shit out of a teammate with a nade...huh...oh well...MORE GRENADES!

Favorite moment so far since release...on Oasis, starting defense point, me defending.  multiple snipers were firin from the second floor across the river, i spawned, pulled a frag, chunked it across the river at the house, the frag blew right as it impacted the second floor wall in front of the snipers....blew the shit out of the wall and insta killed both snipers:)

Had another moment later on that oasis map where i threw a frag into a smalll 2nd floor room where a support guy was hiding and firing from.  The frag went off, insta killed the support guy, and the resultin explotion blew out 3 of the four walls in a visually awsome moment of destruction....it was pretty cool watching the walls just explode outwards in a shower of debris....totally reminiscent of some building explosions from rocket propelled ordinance i've seen on TV of IRAQ.  Very realistic and just awsome to see in game...you get the idea...i'm impressed and i love my goddamn explosive shit... now if only snipers got frag grenades i'd be in heaven.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 08:46:53 PM by Fuzzballx » Logged
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 25, 2008, 10:35:33 PM »

First full game I got to play was on Harvest.  Defending, scored over 400pts, mostly with a tow launcher and my demo kit rockets.  I like the auto shotgun... very nice toy.

Also got my rank 1st overall and a couple other achievements/awards.  I really missed the awards in the demo, such a nice little feeling when you rack up 3 or 4 awards from one or 2 shots.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 26, 2008, 12:50:07 AM »

I tried playing at about 7pm eastern and couldn't connect to the EA servers. After 5 or 6 attempts I played SP. Anyone else have trouble?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 26, 2008, 01:05:24 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 26, 2008, 12:50:07 AM

I tried playing at about 7pm eastern and couldn't connect to the EA servers. After 5 or 6 attempts I played SP. Anyone else have trouble?

Yeah, and an EA rep posted in their forums that they know about it and are trying to fix it.

I think MS is still having issues when lots of people try to match in the same game.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: June 26, 2008, 02:02:06 PM »

I switched and bought this for the 360 after reading you guys comment about it. One thing I have to do to get better is to stop thinking this is Call of Duty 4. It takes a completely different approach and I'm stuck on my COD mentality. Gotta remember it takes A LOT more ammo to kill someone in BF than in COD 4, so I can't let up like I do in COD, ya gotta bear down on the target and shoot 'em till they drop.

One thing I'm confused about is the scoring. Can someone break down how games are scored and points given out? The manual does a crappy (as usual) of going into detail on these things.

Look forward to playing with many of you.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: June 26, 2008, 02:16:05 PM »

Oh, another question, how do you get "Dogtags"?

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: June 26, 2008, 02:22:41 PM »

You knife someone to get their dogtags...

I had a terrible first half of the night for myself yesterday...got knifed like 10 times in 45 minutes:(

Thankfully things really really picked up in the 2nd half for me and i went back to getting into the top 3 every round...

My team / squad went from great to suckass to full of exploiters getting 15k points plus per round to mediocre and then back to suck..  Quite a pain in the rear...even had to endure through one match where it never put me on a squad at all and i had to run from the start point every single death:(

Last night was frustrating enough between that and failing to connect to servers that i'm honestly wondering if i made a mistake already...thankfully i'm going on vacation next week and won't be playing...so hopefully they'll fix all the broken ass shit and reset the world's stats next week....(year right)
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: June 26, 2008, 02:27:16 PM »

15K pts????? How in the world can that happen?

You mention "squad", is this something you join outside of the game, or is it like a "clan"? Sorry for the questions, I wasn't in the beta for the game. I've seen "spawn squad" in multiplayer, but I never choose it because I  wasn't in one.

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 26, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »

The legit question first...the squad.

When you join a quick match, you get placed in a squad with 3 other random people (usually).  These 3 other people are the only other people you can talk to in the match and you can also spawn on a random one of them when you respawn, as an option instead of spawning back at the home base.  Which is really good for serious squad play.

Your squad mates show up in light blue instead of the darker blue on the score screen (hit "back" to see it I believe). Spawning on squad can be dangerous, but you can see the squadmate you're going to spawn on when you have the spawn on squadmate option highlighted.

The non-legit question second - 15k points.

I found it out last night when i figured out why i was the ONLY FUCKING ASSHAT ONMYTEAM  TRYING TO GET THEOBJECTIVE!

All 11 other fucking retarded shits were support kit and using their repair gun on a flipped hummvee (it was lying on it's roof) and they were just non-stop using repair gun on it and racking up 1000s of points super fast...

Needless to say, i pulled out my fucking frag nades and blew the shit out of all 11 fags and sent em to hell (and this is when i found out if you team kill too much the game kicks you out).

And you can probably tell, it still has me hopping mad.  Major part of why i'm questioning this purchase now..
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:24:12 PM by Fuzzballx » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 26, 2008, 03:33:50 PM »

Yeah, when Hark and I spotted a group doing the flipped-Humvee circle jerk I took the time to file cheating complaints on them for all the good it'll do.  Honestly it was much more cathartic when I blew them and their Humvee up with a light tank, even if they'd just hop right back to it a few minutes later.

That was the only time I encountered people doing the exploit in my, wow, 9 hours so far with the full game.  It sucks that people are doing it, but I'll just hop to another server if I see it happening again.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 26, 2008, 03:43:19 PM »

The problem is it's spreading....1 guy in a match goes in and tells his squad what to do then it gets started and soon the whole team is doing it...thats what happened in my match i believe...
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 26, 2008, 03:55:09 PM »

Quote from: jblank on June 26, 2008, 02:02:06 PM

One thing I'm confused about is the scoring. Can someone break down how games are scored and points given out? The manual does a crappy (as usual) of going into detail on these things.

You lose points for teamkills and suicides, and gain points for...

kills
assists
kills your vehicle passengers make
repairing teammates' vehicles
healing teammates
healing squadmates (more points than healing teammates)
destroying vehicles
killing an enemy who was about to kill a teammate
killing an enemy who just killed your teammate
damaging a crate
destroying a crate
defusing a crate

Oddly I have absolutely no idea if there's any kind of point reward or incentive to actually win the match.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 26, 2008, 04:06:36 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 26, 2008, 03:55:09 PM

kills
assists
healing teammates
destroying vehicles
damaging a crate
destroying a crate
defusing a crate

Oddly I have absolutely no idea if there's any kind of point reward or incentive to actually win the match.

Yeah, I would love to see a full list of all the ways to get points and their values.  A lot of times I get points and I don't even understand how I got them.  They should just release a PDF like GTA did with the multiplayer manual.

For example, it seems like you might actually get points for simply being near a squad member when they kill someone but I don't know.  I'd definitely like to know the definitions of "kill assist", "squad assist" and their point values, plus all the bonuses, like "avenger", "defense", etc.

I feel like there is a bonus for being on the winning team - my score always seems to be higher than I thought at the end of a match where I am on the winning team, but I could be wrong.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 26, 2008, 04:20:01 PM »

From the EA UK board regarding the cheating:
http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company/321879-statpadding-issue-vehicles.html
Although if they don't reset the leaderboards, then who really cares, the damage is done.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 26, 2008, 04:23:25 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 26, 2008, 04:20:01 PM

From the EA UK board regarding the cheating:
http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company/321879-statpadding-issue-vehicles.html
Although if they don't reset the leaderboards, then who really cares, the damage is done.

I don't see how hard it could be for them to search for all the level 25 players who've gotten 90% of their points from repairing Humvees.  Here's hoping.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: June 26, 2008, 05:01:05 PM »

Quote from: jblank on June 26, 2008, 02:16:05 PM

Oh, another question, how do you get "Dogtags"?

Knife people.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: June 26, 2008, 05:15:38 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on June 26, 2008, 03:21:55 PM

The legit question first...the squad.

When you join a quick match, you get placed in a squad with 3 other random people (usually).  These 3 other people are the only other people you can talk to in the match and you can also spawn on a random one of them when you respawn, as an option instead of spawning back at the home base.  Which is really good for serious squad play.

Your squad mates show up in light blue instead of the darker blue on the score screen (hit "back" to see it I believe). Spawning on squad can be dangerous, but you can see the squadmate you're going to spawn on when you have the spawn on squadmate option highlighted.

The non-legit question second - 15k points.

I found it out last night when i figured out why i was the ONLY FUCKING ASSHAT ONMYTEAM  TRYING TO GET THEOBJECTIVE!

All 11 other fucking retarded shits were support kit and using their repair gun on a flipped hummvee (it was lying on it's roof) and they were just non-stop using repair gun on it and racking up 1000s of points super fast...

Needless to say, i pulled out my fucking frag nades and blew the shit out of all 11 fags and sent em to hell (and this is when i found out if you team kill too much the game kicks you out).

And you can probably tell, it still has me hopping mad.  Major part of why i'm questioning this purchase now..

Sorry if I made ya mad, after seeing my scores from my first 2 games, seeing someone get 15,000 points is a bit mind blowing.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: June 26, 2008, 05:17:28 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 26, 2008, 03:55:09 PM

kills
assists
healing teammates
destroying vehicles
damaging a crate
destroying a crate
defusing a crate

Thank you Wonderpug, that was very helpful.

I'm still Shootin Jblanks  if you guys  want to put me on your friends list.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 27, 2008, 05:39:36 PM »

So, I have to say I am pretty amazed that I have not encountered any lag during the 7 or so hours I have put into the multi on the retail release. However, trying to get a squad into a game has become a major annoyance. Yesterday, Hark, Mikagami, Wonderpug and I tried to set up a squad to join a match.  The first six or so times, even with different people starting the squad, the game would not only fail to join a match, but it would dump us all out of the squad into the main menu.  Another couple of times it took half the squad into a game but dumped the rest of the squad back to the main menu. I'm getting over the fact that you can only talk with 3 other people, but they need to at least let you do that much!

As far as playing goes, I think I kept Wonderpug a little too entertained with my knifing woes.  I'm just really poor at using the knife and was ecstatic when I finally got someone's tags last night. On the other hand, people have no problem knifing me. You can camp a lot easier in BC that in COD4, but you still need to check your surroundings, because a lot of people in the game have my tags.

Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 27, 2008, 06:03:21 PM »

From memory the scoring breaks down like the following:

kills +10
assists +3 (I have seen +1 as well but more often +3.. not sure how it exactly works)
Squad Assists +6
kills your vehicle passengers make +5 ??
repairing teammates' vehicles +15
healing teammates +10
healing squadmates (more points than healing teammates) +15
destroying vehicles +10
killing an enemy who was about to kill a teammate   + 5
killing an enemy who just killed your teammate  +5
damaging a crate +10
destroying a crate +30
defusing a crate +10
Defense Bonus +3 (not sure what triggers this)

Suicide -10
Damaging a Teammate -10
Team Killing -15
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 27, 2008, 06:14:25 PM »

Quote from: Owain on June 27, 2008, 06:03:21 PM

kills your vehicle passengers make +5 ??
You definitely get +10 for vehicle assist kills.  Don't know why it is so high since it take no skill at all.  A great way to get points is just to get into a tank with Mikagami or ATB and just sit there while they kill people biggrin

Quote from: Owain on June 27, 2008, 06:03:21 PM

killing an enemy who was about to kill a teammate   + 5
killing an enemy who just killed your teammate  +5
Guessing these are the "savior" and "avenger" bonuses.  Would like to know how they work - can you avenge someone's death forever, or does it have to be with 30 seconds or something? And what constitutes saving someone? Does the guy you kill have to have sent a bullet into one of your teammates in the past 3 seconds to take their health down past 50%, or what?

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 27, 2008, 06:59:53 PM »

Played a couple matches just now. Loving what I see.

Am on almost no sleep for the week so late night prospects are slim
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 27, 2008, 10:54:59 PM »

Why do developers think that fighting a helicopter while on foot in open terrain is a good boss fight?

Pikachu, I Blame you!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 27, 2008, 11:09:55 PM »

I took out three tanks last night with the power drill.  That's even more satisfying than knifing someone.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 27, 2008, 11:21:21 PM »

Hey look at that.  First come first serve: Gamestop just sent me another pre-order sniper rifle code since EA gave out a bunch of bogus ones.  My original one worked just fine, so it's up for grabs if anyone wants it.  You have to agree to be addicted to the multiplayer a while and not move on to some new shiny game in two weeks, though. slywink
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 27, 2008, 11:23:02 PM »

I would like it please because I pre-ordered and never got my code.  Gamestop corporate told me I was supposed to get it from the store and the store acted dumb.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: