http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 08:19:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else playing the BF:BC (Now not the demo)  (Read 18919 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2008, 08:06:35 PM »

W00t. Code came in 10 mins ago.  My fickle heart once again sings!  icon_razz
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2008, 09:30:04 PM »

Dammit, you guys are making me want this.

Is this going to be the Next Big Thing for GT multiplayer or are you guys going to burn out after 5 days?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2008, 10:54:13 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 31, 2008, 09:30:04 PM

Dammit, you guys are making me want this.

Is this going to be the Next Big Thing for GT multiplayer or are you guys going to burn out after 5 days?

I'll be playing this about as long as I played COD4 (which was from nov to april)

I'll probably play it until Warhammer with a balance between BF and AoC
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2008, 01:49:44 PM »

I played last night and there definitely is a learning curve.

I didn't get much time in cause I tuned in to the MMA primtime special. 

It was hard to get my bearings and I didn't like that it takes a ton of rounds to kill a guy.  However, I loved the scale of the maps and the vehicles- though it is a sea change from the smaller more intimate maps of COD4.

Hopefully I'll get to play some more tonight.

I've preordered the gold edition and from what I see so far, Ii has the potential to be a time sink on the scale of COD 4.  I'm definitely in.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2008, 03:33:15 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 01, 2008, 01:49:44 PM

I played last night and there definitely is a learning curve.

I didn't get much time in cause I tuned in to the MMA primtime special. 

It was hard to get my bearings and I didn't like that it takes a ton of rounds to kill a guy.  However, I loved the scale of the maps and the vehicles- though it is a sea change from the smaller more intimate maps of COD4.

Hopefully I'll get to play some more tonight.

I've preordered the gold edition and from what I see so far, Ii has the potential to be a time sink on the scale of COD 4.  I'm definitely in.

So far I haven't had any problems with lethality, seems to take just a couple more than COD4 for me.  You may be missing slywink
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2008, 12:10:26 PM »

So I got in about 2 hrs last night and while there are several things that require adjustment, this game is quite awesome. Most of my complaints are of a n00bian slant and I'm sure all of them will be cleared up when I get a manual (hopefully)...

Pros:

-Map Size/Environments
-Weapon/Vehicle variety
-Sound (omg the sound!)
-Size of Skirmishes (8 on Cool
-Vehicles  They're just neat

Cons:
-Complex. I can't tell what the heck is going on a lot of the time.  For example, I unlocked meds for MP, but they only show up in one kit. Huh?
-Unlock Screen- It shows a picture of the weapon, but doesn't really tell you what it does. For example, there was this round thing with a number designation. I eventually realized it was an Anti-Tank mine.  A bit better explanation on the unlocks would be nice...oh and to what kits they go to
-Squad communication- For whatever reason you can only communicate with guys on your squad...and in many cases, though it seems like we have 8 people on a team, I am only in a squad with 1 other guy.  I don't know if that's cause of when we joined or what...
-Aiming- It seems more genuine, but COD4's aiming system is SO tight, that anything seems to pail.  On the flipside, it's more realistic IMO as you don't actually zoom in like you do on COD4 aiming
-Hit indicator- I can't usually tell that I'm hitting someone.  Also, it really does take a lot of rounds (shaddup Hark!) to take someone down.

I  was also underwhelmed by the SP demo.  The MP, however, has been really really neat. I look forward to many GT nights of taking on the world.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2008, 12:19:19 PM »

Oh and one more question: In real life do you have to bring back the slide every time you reload? I thought you only had to do that when you fire dry.

It adds a good sec to half sec to each reload...
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2008, 01:06:30 PM »

Also, I have a question about the find all five campaign.

I've obviously pre-ordered, but how do I get the code for the special unlock.

Where do you sign up for the newsletter? Figured this out.

I'm playing the demo now. Where's the code for that? Does it auto unlock?

Becoming a veteran is the level unlock for the demo, yes?  Hark, I think you said there were 4 levels. Where/how do you get the code for that?

And checking the stats? Is that just the leaderboard or is there a halo3-esque site on the horizon...?

Oh and how do you customize kits...?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 01:15:29 PM by ATB » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2008, 01:23:11 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 02, 2008, 12:19:19 PM

Oh and one more question: In real life do you have to bring back the slide every time you reload? I thought you only had to do that when you fire dry.

As far as I know you're right: you should only have to do that if the chamber is empty.  If you rack the slide when there's already a round in the chamber then you'll eject that perfectly good bullet without firing it.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2008, 02:10:37 PM »

So will this have the staying power of COD4? Should I be looking into getting this?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2008, 02:55:35 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 02, 2008, 02:10:37 PM

So will this have the staying power of COD4? Should I be looking into getting this?

Yes it will and yes you should.  Demo hits thursday for non-pre ordererz.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2008, 02:56:15 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 02, 2008, 02:55:35 PM

Quote from: Teggy on June 02, 2008, 02:10:37 PM

Yes it will and yes you should.  Demo hits thursday for non-pre ordererz.

OK, I am saving this quote for evidence.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2008, 03:37:16 PM »

Meh. I'm done with BF:BC. It's no COD4.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2008, 03:39:09 PM »

Elapsed time: 42 minutes.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2008, 04:36:16 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on June 02, 2008, 03:39:09 PM

Elapsed time: 42 minutes.

Acting!  Thank you.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2008, 04:43:22 PM »

Yeah, I know.   icon_biggrin

What're your actual thoughts?   thumbsup?  I have yet to try it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2008, 05:22:21 PM »

I did not know.

You deserve a Webby for that performance.

Brava!  Author!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2008, 05:36:16 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 02, 2008, 05:22:21 PM

I did not know.

Brava!  Author!

He's lucky he was acting, because I pre-ordered during lunch, and I could not be held responsible for what would have happened.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2008, 05:37:43 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 02, 2008, 05:36:16 PM

I did not know.

Brava!  Author!

He's lucky he was acting, because I pre-ordered during lunch, and I could not be held responsible for what would have happened.

Lolz. Can't wait to play with you.  What's neat is that my ineptness at this game gives me some small sense of the crushing lack of skills you have in COD4 and makes me realize what strong character you're building every time you turn on your 360.

icon_biggrin

Spoiler for Hiden:
Totally kidding. slywink

Yeah, I know.   

What're your actual thoughts?   ?  I have yet to try it.

Look on the previous page  retard
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 05:41:23 PM by ATB » Logged
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2008, 05:41:27 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 02, 2008, 05:37:43 PM

Look on the previous page  retard

Oops.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2008, 05:44:48 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 02, 2008, 12:10:26 PM

So I got in about 2 hrs last night and while there are several things that require adjustment, this game is quite awesome. Most of my complaints are of a n00bian slant and I'm sure all of them will be cleared up when I get a manual (hopefully)...

Pros:

-Map Size/Environments
-Weapon/Vehicle variety
-Sound (omg the sound!)
-Size of Skirmishes (8 on Cool
-Vehicles  They're just neat

Cons:
-Complex. I can't tell what the heck is going on a lot of the time.  For example, I unlocked meds for MP, but they only show up in one kit. Huh?
-Unlock Screen- It shows a picture of the weapon, but doesn't really tell you what it does. For example, there was this round thing with a number designation. I eventually realized it was an Anti-Tank mine.  A bit better explanation on the unlocks would be nice...oh and to what kits they go to
-Squad communication- For whatever reason you can only communicate with guys on your squad...and in many cases, though it seems like we have 8 people on a team, I am only in a squad with 1 other guy.  I don't know if that's cause of when we joined or what...
-Aiming- It seems more genuine, but COD4's aiming system is SO tight, that anything seems to pail.  On the flipside, it's more realistic IMO as you don't actually zoom in like you do on COD4 aiming
-Hit indicator- I can't usually tell that I'm hitting someone.  Also, it really does take a lot of rounds (shaddup Hark!) to take someone down.

I  was also underwhelmed by the SP demo.  The MP, however, has been really really neat. I look forward to many GT nights of taking on the world.

You are right in that most of your complaints are noobish slywink  I'll go easy on ya though.

There is a hit indicator, it's a red semi-circle that pops up.  If you look for it, it's hard to miss so I'm not sure what your complaint  there is.  On the unlock screen the unlocks are in columns and each column is a kit. slywink  Not too hard to figure that out imo.

Squad communications is a key point and you are correct.  I think they do this so you can coordinate with squad mates without having to 'talk over' the rest of your team.  Considering all the squad level bonuses you get combined with the spawn on squad option I think it'll work out pretty well in the long run.

If you unlocked the med kit, then it was in the first column which is assault.

The demo does need a manual, but you can actually find all about the game including how to play at the official website.  Most of your questions would be answered there.  I still stand by my statement that it really doesn't take much to kill someone, if you find it does then you are probably shooting from beyond your weapons effective range.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2008, 05:49:27 PM »

I did not know.

Brava!  Author!

Lolz. Can't wait to play with you.  What's neat is that my ineptness at this game gives me some small sense of the crushing lack of skills you have in COD4 and makes me realize what strong character you're building every time you turn on your 360.

icon_biggrin

Spoiler for Hiden:
Totally kidding. slywink

icon_lol Sadly, there is some truth in there.  I'm realizing the simple mathematical difficulty in digging out of the .75 k/d hole I've gotten myself into. Maybe now with my newly learned shooter skillz (COD4 is the first online shooter I've played) I can start off on a better foot with BF.  Although more likely I will be getting gunned down by helicopter fire, stepping on mines and getting rolled over by tanks in no time.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2008, 05:53:27 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 02, 2008, 05:49:27 PM

I did not know.

Brava!  Author!

icon_biggrin

Spoiler for Hiden:
Totally kidding. slywink

icon_lol Sadly, there is some truth in there.  I'm realizing the simple mathematical difficulty in digging out of the .75 k/d hole I've gotten myself into. Maybe now with my newly learned shooter skillz (COD4 is the first online shooter I've played) I can start off on a better foot with BF.  Although more likely I will be getting gunned down by helicopter fire, stepping on mines and getting rolled over by tanks in no time.

Even if you're not much of a shot, there are plenty of ways to be helpful to the team in BF.  If nothing else pick support and follow me dropping medkits slywink  Just stay down so they don't shoot me trying to get ya.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2008, 08:16:42 PM »

So how do you get the demo when you pre-order?  They are supposed to email me something? Is there some secret link on Live?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2008, 08:51:02 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 02, 2008, 08:16:42 PM

So how do you get the demo when you pre-order?  They are supposed to email me something? Is there some secret link on Live?

Yes there is, instructions will be in the email.  It's the same method that you will get any beta or early demo as well. Super Sekret way to get stuph on xbl slywink
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2008, 08:56:52 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 02, 2008, 08:51:02 PM

Yes there is, instructions will be in the email.  It's the same method that you will get any beta or early demo as well. Super Sekret way to get stuph on xbl slywink

Well then they need to send me my code chop chop! Stupid Gamestop, they probably sold my code used for $5 to some kid.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2008, 09:57:28 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 02, 2008, 08:56:52 PM

Well then they need to send me my code chop chop! Stupid Gamestop, they probably sold my code used for $5 to some kid.

D00d- GO to the gamestop site, find the 800 number and call until they give you your code. They ran out for a time and had to replenish before they got me mine. DO IT NOW!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2008, 10:46:39 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 30, 2008, 07:24:24 PM

I went gold so I don't have to wait until level 25 to get the 5 extra weapons.  I'm silly like that apparently.

There are 5 weapons you can unlock prior to the games release btw.  If you're planning on playing it's worth looking into it at the game's official site.  One is for preordering, one for signing up for the newsletter, one for ranking to max in the demo, don't recall where the other two are.

I need a weapon unlocking 101 rundown.  Do I have this right?

Five, and only five, weapons you can unlock prior to release?
Only one of which is from preordering?  (which one?)
Every other weapon unlocked through the game proper, but the aforementioned five you won't get until you hit the level cap?
RuperT
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2008, 11:11:31 PM »

I'm definitely a BF-series fanboy, although this was the first BF I'd played on a console.  The beta was a lot of fun; I played enough to get all the unlocks, mostly enjoying Oasis.
I did have some complaints, and I really hope they've been addressed since the beta.
#1: Gaydar!  OK, UAV's (which show the position of enemy soldiers, typically for a brief period) have been in these kind of games for a while now, and I understand the basic purpose of shortening the 'search' part of 'search-and-destroy', but this implementation is just too damn much.  Basically, a member of the opposing team 'looks' at you by placing the crosshair on you, and the game automatically 'spots' you (not a keypress like the PC BFs, but it had some flakiness in that it wouldn't consistently trigger).  Once spotted, your position is known to the entire enemy team.  Pretty standard, right?  Wait, not only does the enemy see you on their map or mini-map, IT PUTS A FRIGGING DOT ON YOUR LOCATION ON THE MAIN VIEWSCREEN.  Well, OK, some people don't understand maps, I get that.  Wait, IT ALSO UPDATES THIS INFORMATION IN REAL-TIME.  Well, maybe that helps people who nee- FOR LIKE 8 TO 10 FREAKING SECONDS!  Combine this mechanism with destructible walls, and I spent a lot of time madly running away from combat while an enemy Bradley destroyed every wall between me and him, then turning around and heading back when I thought my 'signature' had worn off.  Now, in my day, we used to call this kind of thing a 'wall hack', and it was generally reviled.  Now it's cool?  No.  It's still not cool.  Actually, there's too much of this onscreen information in general.  It doesn't really help me to see dots for every friendly within 10 miles, indeed it hurts if an enemy gets between us resulting in a slow threat identification.  I don't like that the crates have a 'shoot here' triangle for enemy boats or tanks to sit back and shell.  Will there be a hardcore mode without this egregious level of hand-holding?  Suck it up, noobs, read a friggin' objective description now and then why don't ya?
#2: Squad/team management.  I understand that in this context, the developers are smart to limit team-changing, but I've been on both sides of some severely unbalanced matches and there was nothing much to do about it except leave.  Is there some kind of autobalance now?  I seem to recall that it wouldn't even consistently add new players to the shorthanded team.  The squad system had the same problem of manageability.  I never figured out how to start a new squad or join a different squad (e.g. your only other squadmate just wants to practice his 'nap-in-the-earth' helo flying).  Am I hearing there is some kind of party system that will let me squad with Friends?  Anything new on that front?

These were the big ones.  I also wasn't crazy about some of the class decisions they made, but this is de rigeur with non-homogenous shooters.  For example, usually there's not much reason to be anything other than sniper.  Support is mostly useless, IMO.  The Anti-Tank weapon is really not much use against tanks, even square in the rear.  Of course, there may be other environments in the full game where these other classes come into their own.

What's the final disposition of the unlocks?  Initially, the 'buy-only' unlocks at the top were to be sold on Marketplace, or included in the Gold Edition.  I thought I'd heard that EA had decided to include these with the regular product, as the 'pay for advantage' aspect raised something of a stink.  Like Hark said, the 'non-buy' unlocks are mostly minor differences.  I think the main advantage to them is not having to rely on the weapons a particular army offers you for your bread-and-butter class; ie you can always use your unlock and get intimate with it.

Finally, I'll probably get the damn thing anyway.  I didn't really get into COD4 MP, but I look forward to fragging with some of you FPSers.  Look for MooseFoe (also for GTAIV now).

PS: Hi.

Live: MooseFoe
PSN: Rupyrt
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2008, 11:31:10 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 02, 2008, 10:46:39 PM

I went gold so I don't have to wait until level 25 to get the 5 extra weapons.  I'm silly like that apparently.

There are 5 weapons you can unlock prior to the games release btw.  If you're planning on playing it's worth looking into it at the game's official site.  One is for preordering, one for signing up for the newsletter, one for ranking to max in the demo, don't recall where the other two are.

Every other weapon unlocked through the game proper, but the aforementioned five you won't get until you hit the level cap?

http://badcompany.ea.com/page/dynpid/8616/

there's the info on how to get each of the five weapons. 

One is for pre-ordering and you get the code when you pre-order.
One is for signing up for their newsletter and you get the code when you do.
One is for hitting max rank in the demo and you get the code when you do.
One is for hitting 'veteran' status in the full retail game.
One is for checking your stats on their stats page after release.

The stats are like the PC version of BF2 btw, it's pretty similar to what H3 did.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2008, 11:36:01 PM »

Quote from: RuperT on June 02, 2008, 11:11:31 PM

I'm definitely a BF-series fanboy, although this was the first BF I'd played on a console.  The beta was a lot of fun; I played enough to get all the unlocks, mostly enjoying Oasis.
I did have some complaints, and I really hope they've been addressed since the beta.
#1: Gaydar!  OK, UAV's (which show the position of enemy soldiers, typically for a brief period) have been in these kind of games for a while now, and I understand the basic purpose of shortening the 'search' part of 'search-and-destroy', but this implementation is just too damn much.  Basically, a member of the opposing team 'looks' at you by placing the crosshair on you, and the game automatically 'spots' you (not a keypress like the PC BFs, but it had some flakiness in that it wouldn't consistently trigger).  Once spotted, your position is known to the entire enemy team.  Pretty standard, right?  Wait, not only does the enemy see you on their map or mini-map, IT PUTS A FRIGGING DOT ON YOUR LOCATION ON THE MAIN VIEWSCREEN.  Well, OK, some people don't understand maps, I get that.  Wait, IT ALSO UPDATES THIS INFORMATION IN REAL-TIME.  Well, maybe that helps people who nee- FOR LIKE 8 TO 10 FREAKING SECONDS!  Combine this mechanism with destructible walls, and I spent a lot of time madly running away from combat while an enemy Bradley destroyed every wall between me and him, then turning around and heading back when I thought my 'signature' had worn off.  Now, in my day, we used to call this kind of thing a 'wall hack', and it was generally reviled.  Now it's cool?  No.  It's still not cool.  Actually, there's too much of this onscreen information in general.  It doesn't really help me to see dots for every friendly within 10 miles, indeed it hurts if an enemy gets between us resulting in a slow threat identification.  I don't like that the crates have a 'shoot here' triangle for enemy boats or tanks to sit back and shell.  Will there be a hardcore mode without this egregious level of hand-holding?  Suck it up, noobs, read a friggin' objective description now and then why don't ya?
#2: Squad/team management.  I understand that in this context, the developers are smart to limit team-changing, but I've been on both sides of some severely unbalanced matches and there was nothing much to do about it except leave.  Is there some kind of autobalance now?  I seem to recall that it wouldn't even consistently add new players to the shorthanded team.  The squad system had the same problem of manageability.  I never figured out how to start a new squad or join a different squad (e.g. your only other squadmate just wants to practice his 'nap-in-the-earth' helo flying).  Am I hearing there is some kind of party system that will let me squad with Friends?  Anything new on that front?

These were the big ones.  I also wasn't crazy about some of the class decisions they made, but this is de rigeur with non-homogenous shooters.  For example, usually there's not much reason to be anything other than sniper.  Support is mostly useless, IMO.  The Anti-Tank weapon is really not much use against tanks, even square in the rear.  Of course, there may be other environments in the full game where these other classes come into their own.

What's the final disposition of the unlocks?  Initially, the 'buy-only' unlocks at the top were to be sold on Marketplace, or included in the Gold Edition.  I thought I'd heard that EA had decided to include these with the regular product, as the 'pay for advantage' aspect raised something of a stink.  Like Hark said, the 'non-buy' unlocks are mostly minor differences.  I think the main advantage to them is not having to rely on the weapons a particular army offers you for your bread-and-butter class; ie you can always use your unlock and get intimate with it.

Finally, I'll probably get the damn thing anyway.  I didn't really get into COD4 MP, but I look forward to fragging with some of you FPSers.  Look for MooseFoe (also for GTAIV now).

The 'gaydar' as you call it is no different than the system in BF2 where you could mark your target and it would show up on everyone's radar/hud.  The only small difference is that instead of pulling up a menu and selecting what the target is, it automatically calls out what it is.  You ONLY show up on radar if someone has spotted you and kept you in the center of their vision for more than about 1.5-2 seconds.  It's really not that hard to avoid if that's your game plan.  I like the dots because not only does it make it much easier to shoot the noobs, but when you get good at not being a dot, peopel assume you aren't there and it's much easier to kick their ass unseen slywink

If the crates weren't marked as such, the 50% of players that actually do try to attack or defend objectives wouldn't. slywink  Most but not all crates are in positions that boats, tanks and helis can't take them out easily anyway.  There's usually one every couple waypoints that is accessible to tanks.  If you let a tank kill the crate you deserve it anyway since it takes about a dozen rounds and no tank should live that long.

Regarding the auto-balance, it seems like it was in the beta, but not the demo.  Hopefully with full servers it won't be an issue but I agree that this could be a problem if they don't bring it back.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2008, 01:06:53 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 02, 2008, 11:31:10 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on June 02, 2008, 10:46:39 PM

http://badcompany.ea.com/page/dynpid/8616/

there's the info on how to get each of the five weapons. 

One is for pre-ordering and you get the code when you pre-order.
One is for signing up for their newsletter and you get the code when you do.
One is for hitting max rank in the demo and you get the code when you do.
One is for hitting 'veteran' status in the full retail game.
One is for checking your stats on their stats page after release.

The stats are like the PC version of BF2 btw, it's pretty similar to what H3 did.

I thought that you got 5 weapons unlocked by buying the gold pack or getting the top multiplayer rank.  Are there actually 10 unlockable weapons,  or are the "find the five" or whatever the same as the gold weapons?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2008, 01:18:47 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 03, 2008, 01:06:53 AM

I thought that you got 5 weapons unlocked by buying the gold pack or getting the top multiplayer rank.  Are there actually 10 unlockable weapons,  or are the "find the five" or whatever the same as the gold weapons?

I think there is a separate 5 for Gold, which you can also unlock in one fell swoop by maxxing your level.

From this FAQ:
here's a quick summary. The Gold Edition, priced at $69.99, will have five weapons not seen in the launch disc in the Standard Edition. Those who purchased the Standard Edition can unlock these guns by reaching the level cap of 25. Both Gold Edition and Standard Edition users will have to participate in five separate EA marketing programs (no purchase necessary, we're told it will be easy as signing up for a newsletter), each of which will have one weapon.
RuperT
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2008, 01:21:39 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 02, 2008, 11:36:01 PM

Quote from: RuperT on June 02, 2008, 11:11:31 PM

The 'gaydar' as you call it is no different than the system in BF2 where you could mark your target and it would show up on everyone's radar/hud.  The only small difference is that instead of pulling up a menu and selecting what the target is, it automatically calls out what it is.  You ONLY show up on radar if someone has spotted you and kept you in the center of their vision for more than about 1.5-2 seconds.  It's really not that hard to avoid if that's your game plan.  I like the dots because not only does it make it much easier to shoot the noobs, but when you get good at not being a dot, peopel assume you aren't there and it's much easier to kick their ass unseen slywink

If the crates weren't marked as such, the 50% of players that actually do try to attack or defend objectives wouldn't. slywink  Most but not all crates are in positions that boats, tanks and helis can't take them out easily anyway.  There's usually one every couple waypoints that is accessible to tanks.  If you let a tank kill the crate you deserve it anyway since it takes about a dozen rounds and no tank should live that long.

Regarding the auto-balance, it seems like it was in the beta, but not the demo.  Hopefully with full servers it won't be an issue but I agree that this could be a problem if they don't bring it back.
I think you may be misremembering.  It is indeed very different from BF2 (which BTW had a context-sensitive 'Spotted' command, no menu required), where the enemy's position absolutely DID NOT show up on the HUD.  There is a world of difference between cross-referencing a red dot's location on your minimap with an enemy's location in the world, and seeing a constantly-updated 'Shoot Here' marker on your HUD.  If it were just on the minimap or only lasted 2-3 seconds, I wouldn't have that much of a problem with it.  It's ridiculous that an enemy, who has never even seen me, knows my exact location upstairs in a building because I ran into and killed his pal 5 seconds ago - downstairs.  Who would appreciate such a mechanic besides the worst REMFs in the game, baiting with their teammates and having no intention of ever approaching a crate?

Live: MooseFoe
PSN: Rupyrt
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2008, 03:38:23 AM »

Quote from: ATB on June 02, 2008, 09:57:28 PM

Quote from: Teggy on June 02, 2008, 08:56:52 PM

D00d- GO to the gamestop site, find the 800 number and call until they give you your code. They ran out for a time and had to replenish before they got me mine. DO IT NOW!

If it doesn't show up in my email tomorrow I'll call.  Dialed the number this evening, but hung up after the prompts because I didn't feel like sitting on hold. I always forget that I know the guy on the IVR - I used to be his contact at my company. Finished another level of Halo 3 and got my k/d up a .01 in COD4. I need to get in as much as I can before this game comes out!

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2008, 12:04:03 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 03, 2008, 03:38:23 AM

I need to get in as much as I can before this game comes out!

I actually need to stop playing it and finish MGS3.  retard
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2008, 12:15:03 PM »

What is the official release date? Won't be buying, but I will be gameflying to play with some of you haters.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 03, 2008, 12:15:03 PM

What is the official release date? Won't be buying, but I will be gameflying to play with some of you haters.

With three and twenty June behind,
Bad Company soon you will find.
But if in lands of EU is your estate,
Til' six and twenty June you'll wait.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2008, 03:29:04 PM »

The more I play it, the more I like it.

The size of the skirmishes (and we're not even to full size yet) is so exhilirating.  I love that I can't camp a spot and put  claymores and know I'm safe from everything but that which comes through my claymores or shoots me through the window.

I love that you can sneak around behind the attackers, commandier their artillery and then use it on them- I did this and blew up two tanks before they decided they were coming back for me.  I saw them on the overhead view and killed two of them before they started to spawn on squad and took me out.  It was SO neat.

I love the way there are helicopters, tanks, boats, jeeps, humvees and infantry all working 'together' (or will be when you have a team together).

I love the sound. (Have I mentioned the sound?)

I love sniping (something I've never said in a game before).

I love that there are support kits (when we get a GT team, we'll need to establish at least one or two people per map to be support and then alternate who those people are so that we can really take it to the other team)

I love that when you come to a fence you can either hurdle it or bash through it. I love when you come to a dead end, you can back off and make a hole with your grenade launcher.

I love how the spotting technique works so you can tell people where things are.

Things that still confuse me are:

There appears to be an uber weapon. All I know is that when I get killed by it the symbol looks like the infinity sign. I think it's an anti tank missle (it flies straight up and come straight down). I don't know if you can unlock it or what.  it's hellah tough

I don't understand how you know when you have an unlock token. I have gone up 3 levels and have thus far only unlocked two items.

My lack of understanding of military weaponry.  There are some weapons that come mounted (one looks like a tube on a tripod) around the environment  and I don't know where or what they do Tongue

The communications being limited to smaller squads. I assume that's because there are so many assets running around at all times and that it's for bandwidth.

The weapon switching. I thought having to put away your gun to throw a grenade was passe. Don't like that convention as it leaves you totally vulnerable.

So far this game is brilliant. BRILLIANT!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 03:31:01 PM by ATB » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »

sounds great! always loved the BF games so this is a definite buy for me.

Does anyone know if the servers are US/Euro divided?

A new one
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: