http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 12:31:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else looking forward to Pirates!  (Read 2095 times)
sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2005, 06:43:41 AM »

I have fond memories of Pirates! on my C-64, and I've been waiting for the x-box version of this new one for a while. I've been tempted to get the PC version, but it just seemed like a game that would be suited for sitting back on the sofa, and I like to get away from this comptuer now and then.

IGN's review was posted today, giving it a 9.2.
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 12:18:39 PM »

As someone who recently got the PC version I can tell you the game is a blast!  I played it obsessively for about a week or two and then... I just had no interest in continuing.

You might rent it first.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 01:24:39 PM »

yes!
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 01:59:42 PM »

I really love Pirates! for the PC. It keeps me playing for hours on end (though as in real life my skill on the dance floor leaves much to be desired :oops: ). I was a huge fan of the C-64 original waaay back-in-the-day, and Pirates! Gold for the PC. The new PC version compares quite well to my nostalgia soaked memories.

However...

I would suggest renting the Xbox version first. I was also thinking of picking it up myself (I like the PC version that  much), but after playing the ship-to-ship demo on the latest OXM disc, I think I'll pass. I don't know what they did to the rest of the game, but I hate what they did to ship duels. The ships are just way too fast and turn on a dime. It's more like dueling power boats, sorta like a top-down Bloodwake (which I like BTW), complete with power-ups. It's as if they dumbed down the game for console users. Really disappointed me because this is the kind of game I would really like to play from my sofa.

Like I said, I didn't get to play the whole game, just the ship combat demo. But I still advise renting first.  And as always, YMMV.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 05:33:31 PM »

9.2 from IGN.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 05:34:01 PM »

Anyone who has played the PC version and the Xbox demo care to chime in?  Has the console version been "dumbed down," or is this similar to what was found on the PC?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 07:11:13 PM »

Sorry, can't help on PC version - OR OXM, darn them!

But, I am really interested in this game - I was totally addicted to Pirates of the Caribbean for XBox, even with all the bugs and a Thomson drive XBox at the time!  If the ship duels aren't too horrid, I can't imagine I wouldn't love this game.

So, as a famous Bostonian would say - IN! :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 07:43:07 PM »

Anyone who has played the PC version and the Xbox demo care to chime in?

Even better...I own the PC version and I have the 90% complete version that I'm currently previewing.  I can tell you that they have not dumbed it down - in fact, they have added some more stuff to the swordfighting and made the dancing a little easier.  I.E. You hit B, Y, B, B, etc. to do the moves for dancing and if you are severely outnumbered you have to do a little button-press minigame to even the sides a little more.  Also, you can't siege a town of 600 soldiers with 50 people anymore.  On top of that, there are more missions.  I.E. "Be promoted by the English -> Sack a Dutch town -> Capture a Military Payroll" These allow you to move further through a mission to find your family.  

They did simplify treasurehunting...things like "Skull Rock" are shown as landmarks, unless you have a map that says its a treasure clue - then it'll say "Treasure Landmark!"    More as I get into it...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 08:11:26 PM »

Not really.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2005, 08:13:23 PM »

Not especially.  That last swashbuckler that was pretty lousy kind of ruined these kinds of games for me.  Just can't get excited about them.  And if all I had to go on was the OXM demo-Gag!.   But I will watch what you all say carefully.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 08:46:45 PM »

ive been excited about it since i heard they were doing it for xbox - before that it was just a pipedream!

i absolutely loved Pirates of the Caribbean and if this is exactly the same game minus bugs ill be in heaven.  the whole ship to shore and being able to mess with 2 environs, customizing everything along the way rocks my world
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2005, 08:54:46 PM »

Thanks, KD.  

I held out on getting the PC version to see how the Xbox version came out.  I'd heard about the added stuff, so was very excited.  Then I saw one review of the Xbox version that wasn't good at all (not a major site, but still...) and the demo did not blow me away (though I did realize it had to be just a very small portion of a much bigger whole).

Your words (and the IGN review) encourage me a lot.

How are the ship battles in the near-complete version VS the PC one?

Also, though this game isn't known for graphics prowess, how would you say the two compare?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2005, 03:33:07 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

I can tell you that they have not dumbed it down - in fact, they have added some more stuff to the swordfighting and made the dancing a little easier.    

They did simplify treasurehunting...things like "Skull Rock" are shown as landmarks, unless you have a map that says its a treasure clue - then it'll say "Treasure Landmark!"  

Very interesting (and encouraging). Making dancing a little easier would help this social-climbing-swashbuckler-wanna-be a great deal.

Treasure hunting already seems pretty easy on the PC version, but the rest of the changes you mentioned make me reconsider a bit.

Like Bullwinkle I'd also like to know "How are the ship battles in the near-complete version VS the PC one?" That demo really left a bad taste in my mouth :\  

Anyway, I'm looking  forward to the CG review. I would really like to see a good pirate game for the Xbox. It's always been a favorite subject of mine, in books & movies as well.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: