http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 05:00:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else have the Core system?  (Read 623 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2006, 07:10:19 AM »

Just today I ended up getting the universal remote and a memory unit ($70 total) to go with my core system and I'm really starting to feel it. (The hole in my wallet)

Basically when I got my xbox 360 (about a week ago) it was either the core system, or waiting for god knows how long until Microsoft gets their act together and produces these things the right way.

Curious if anyone else had to go down a similiar road as I did, even now, over a quarter year after the 360 launch, they are still next to impossible to find.
Is it worth getting the $99 hard drive? Most of the games I wanted backwards compatiblity with (Unreal championship 1 & 2, counter-strike, starwars battlefront 2, conker live and uncut, etc.) aren't backwards compatible anyway, so I'm really wondering if it's worth an extra $100 to get a hard drive.
Plan on joining xbox live soon enough, but would you really see any benefit of having a hard drive versus not having one when it comes to online play?
Even though my 64mb unit says "64mb" it only came with 51mb of space, even after reformatting it. Even still, the biggest game I have is 5mb, which is Quake 4.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 07:28:08 AM »

Hard drives are listed by total space, but the actual file system takes up quite a bit of space too.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 08:10:38 AM »

You're gonna need the hard drive for Live arcade games or demos, if nothing else.  You may be able to get along without for awhile, but at some point the hard drive will be necessary.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 01:15:02 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
You're gonna need the hard drive for Live arcade games or demos, if nothing else.  You may be able to get along without for awhile, but at some point the hard drive will be necessary.

Also, I read on the Oblivion fan Q&A that the game runs faster if you have the hard drive.  Arcade, to me, is worth the hard drive alone.  Also, considering you get a wireless controller and headset along with the hard drive for the price of the hard drive alone, there's no way I would have gotten a Core system.  I actually had a chance to get a Core system many weeks before I got my Premium and I passed it up because I knew I would regret it if I just got the Core.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 03:15:30 PM »

Yeah, I had to settle for the core system on launch day. Augmented it with a wireless controller, a headset, and a hard drive. You should spend the $99 and just be done with it.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 11:52:17 PM »

I'd buy the overpriced hard drive before being raped by memory card prices.  I've easily spent $100 on PS2 memory cards.  If you play Live games you might be wanting the HD when the game updates start rolling in.  Maybe they can be saved to memory card?  Plus I'd miss my custom soundtracks.

I might consider the Core pack but I've waited this long so I guess I can hold out for the Premium.  I dig that new Logitech remote!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: