http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 10:59:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else give up computer gaming for the console recently?  (Read 1802 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2006, 10:01:33 PM »

Having just bought my first ps2 a couple weeks ago, i foresee myself playing less and less of my computer to the point where i might look to give it up altogether.  There are so many games for the ps2 i'm wanting to try out that i have zero time for my pc.  Actually, the only things i have left installed at this point is my steam games (HL@, CS:S, DoD:S, Red Orchestra, SWAT 4, and FEAR Multiplayer).   And i haven't even fired any of these up in more than a month....and i'm completely uninterested in doing so.  I was on gamespot today looking at ps2 games and flipped real quick to the pc section and i had no interest in anything coming out.

I also was thinking back over the last couple years, and besides logging in numerous hours of EQ2, there has been very few games i had any excitement about.  I bought numerous games to only trade them for others i would never eventually play.  Titans Quest has been the only game in 2 years i completed (and i had to force myself to do that).

So i'm really considering giving up the pc hobby and concentrating on consoles.  I bought the gamebridge gadget and have been loving playing my ps2 on my lcd monitor.  So much so that i'm considering saving up for a 360 in the next month to hook it up to my monitor as well.

So long story short......anyone else given up the pc for the console recently and not regretted the decision? I'm leaning heavily in that direction.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 10:18:48 PM »

Nah - I never give up on one or the other, I just tend to shift my emphasis from time to time.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 10:59:54 PM »

Quote from: Laner on October 12, 2006, 10:18:48 PM

Nah - I never give up on one or the other, I just tend to shift my emphasis from time to time.

Same here.  I finally upgraded to a decent PC, so I've been splitting time between both systems.  Just depends on the games.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 11:02:59 PM »

I'm leaning that direction myself.  I used to be a heavy console gaming until many years ago when my friend dragged me kicking and screaming to the PC gaming world.  What hooked me on PC gaming at the time was online multiplayer.  Which , at the time, wasn't available on the consoles.  Now with my 360 I'm getting my online gaming craving on the console.  I've only fired up my PC in recent months to check this board slywink and play WoW.  Hell I own BF2 on the PC and end up playing the demo more on the 360.  Since I've been on them more I've discovered all the games I've missed the past few years and have been really playing the heck out of the consoles again lately. 

I suspect I'll probably mainly use my PC for MMO's and the consoles will be come my main source to feed my gaming habit in the coming year. 

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 11:08:21 PM »

Pretty much just the opposite for me.  Got the 360 and all but 2 or 3 have been utter disappointments for me.  Hoping Gears of War will turn it around.  Been strictly on the PC for the last month or two.  Have actually only been playing old titles as nothing on any system is really doing much for me. 

Thus my utter refusal to even remotely consider the PS3 and Wii.  Don't touch the consoles I have, why bother?

Besides Gears of War, no purchases game-wise for me til 2007.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 11:52:42 PM »

Not recently: Christmas Day 2002 with the arrival of the XBOX.

Other than a few hours of Diablo II (in the past 3 months) I've not gamed on my PC at all since.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 12:10:45 AM »

Only as a matter of necessity.  With the exception of my 6600 GT (bought last year), the rest of my rig is three years old so I can't run most current games to the standard that I'd like.  I'm waiting on upgrading until the DirectX 10 cards and Vista are available next year and consequently have/will be putting off games like Company of Heroes, Gothic 3, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, and probably NWN 2 until I can run them in their full glory. 
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 12:25:22 AM »

The upgrading thing is the other reason why i'm seriously considering the move.  My system now is decent, but come around next summer, i'll be looking to upgrade my video card, motherboard, probably power supply, ram, etc. and i'm really tired of doing that.  I realize its only a upgrade i have to do every couple years, but i just hate the whole rebuilding thing.

I use to be huge into mmorpg's and at a time it was all i really played.  But now that the only thing i own is mp stuff like CS:S and Red Orchestra, i'm just all but done with the pc gaming scene.  Nothing even interests me in the slightest and the thought of having to upgrade here soon to stay up with the times makes me say "i'm through with it".

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 12:42:10 AM »

Probably in the near future, I'll move farther from PC gaming mainly because my system is aging and I doubt I'll spend much money to upgrade it.  Right now, I spend about an equal time between consoles and my PC.  There isn't a whole lot for the 360 that I'm interested in now, so I've been playing some PC stuff like Civ IV and HOMM V.  Once FF XII and Guitar Hero 2 come out, it'll be the PS2 exclusively for awhile.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 12:50:14 AM »

I recently gave up PC Gaming altogether.  I got tired of buying a new $400+ dollar video card every year and upgrading my PC parts every two years.  I have all the consoles, so I have no shortage of games and I find console gaming is usually less complex and involved than PC games, which suits being a dad and working.  Plus, it keeps from playing MMORPGs.  My current computer is only running a P4 3GHz Hyperthreading proc with 1G of RAM and a Radeon 9800 Pro (which just had its fan recently die).  Based on how I used to buy stuff for my PC, this is a very old system.  I think I bought all the parts in 2003.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 12:59:04 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 13, 2006, 12:50:14 AM

My current computer is only running a P4 3GHz Hyperthreading proc with 1G of RAM and a Radeon 9800 Pro (which just had its fan recently die).  Based on how I used to buy stuff for my PC, this is a very old system.  I think I bought all the parts in 2003.

That's exactly my system (had the 9800 Pro until I swapped it for the 6600).  Definitely long in the tooth.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 01:03:13 AM »

I wish I could still play PC games, but I can't afford the hardware. Haven't been able to for, man, like five years now. I think the last game my PC was able to handle was No One Lives Forever. Or Max Payne. Not sure, but that's the era.

There are plenty of PC games that I'd love to play now, but it seems to be one of those unattainable interests that I know I can't be a part of, like banging supermodels.

So, now it's the Cube and PS2 that keep me occupied, and it's all good.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 01:27:14 AM »

The Grue, that is exactly the position i am in now.  I upgraded last year and if i want to stay fairly current, i'll need to do it again by next summer (if not before then).  I just cant see myself spending $500+ on hardware when i can use that on a console i wont have to worry about upgrading. 

The more i write about this the more i am set on not playing another pc game.  6 months ago i would have never believed i would have thought that way, but now i'm convinced of it.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 01:54:40 AM »

i've been steered away from PC gaming quite a bit since i got my 360 back in december.  i bought the 360 because i hadn't had a console since the N64 and got the itch for something new and different...turned out to be a fantastic purchase, and i've logged hundreds of hours of great console gaming over the last nine months.  as for my PC gaming, it's really taken a backseat but i haven't given it up entirely.  the biggest problem is that i've fallen significantly behind the tech curve and can't fully enjoy a lot of the latest games without a hardware upgrade...and the money for that just isn't available right now.  for the time being, i'd rather enjoy playing great looking (and playing) games on my 360 and look forward to more great PC gaming in the future when i can afford a new rig.  while i'm having a blast with the latest generation of console gaming, there are some things that it can't do as well as the PC, so there is still a place for PC gaming as well as a few big games in the near future.  in the end, i'm really looking forward to enjoying myself on both platforms icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 01:57:33 AM »

I had not used my PC for gaming in months.  But lately I have gone back for CoH, DoW Dark Crusade, and Dominions 3.  Pretty much 50/50 console PC for the last 2 weeks.  But once games come out which my current rig can't handle I am done upgrading.  A year from now I'll probably do 98% of my gaming on the 360.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2006, 04:00:28 AM »

By the way, there is a game on PC that actually makes me want to play again and that game is Neverwinter Nights 2.  I loved the original and what it offered and it seems like this new one might be much better than its predecessor.  I won't cave, though.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 04:00:42 AM »

I'm pretty much done with PC gaming.  I recently reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP and all I have on it now are the Steam games, Bone & its sequel, Rise of Nations for my sons, System Shock 2, Wheel of Time and Thief II.  My video card's fan quit on me and I just don't feel like spending the money to get it running again.  Instead I bought a 360 and am loving it.  I think of all the money I spent on PC gaming hardware over the past 6-8 years and I could have bought three of every console released in that time period.

Between my 360, my PlayStation RPG project, my PS2, GameCube, DS and PSP I have more than enough games to play.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 04:15:47 AM »

This is the best year for PC gaming EVER IMO..  I practically shelved the GameCube in favor of the PC.. I got so many new titles that rock for the PC they are coming out of my ears...

I am sure when the kids open the PS2 for Xmas, that might change, but my god, my backlog of AAA titles is growing by the week on the PC.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 04:25:06 AM »

I'm kind of getting bored of PS2, I've played and completed like 50 games on the PS2 and played like 70, so that's a large amount. I just kind of lost interest recently, so I bought a Cube. Then I got a new PC, so I play a few PC games for fun, and I dont own any Cube games yet, but I've logged many hours of Cube in at friends places.

Aw I always cycle. I'm just having a down moment lol.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 06:35:19 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on October 12, 2006, 10:01:33 PM

I bought the gamebridge gadget and have been loving playing my ps2 on my lcd monitor.

Gamebridge.

Tell me more.

And to answer your question, I've been playing the snot out of NFL 2k5 on Xbox and am anxiously awaiting GHII for PS2. PC? Not so much. It's for pr0n and torrents these days... frown

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 10:33:01 AM »

http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/general/45/Adaptec-GameBridgeTV-AVC1410/p1/

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 10:33:18 AM »

I'd love to play me some Company of Heroes though... crybaby
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 12:38:07 PM »

I haven't giving up but I'm not really buying any new games for the PC. I'm just playing what I have. Only new game I want is ArmA, but I still have tons of OFP mods to enjoy while I wait.

I've have been playing less but thats because my wife is needing the PC more for work now and our laptop is too old for the most of the games I have.

In its absence I've mainly been DS gaming. I like the portability and how others can still use the TV while I play it. I might even go handheld only in the future though I'll still play the PC games I have just not upgrading anymore.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 01:12:43 PM »

Similiar to the Grue's situation, except my computer is an old celeron with 384mb of ram. It plays warcraft 3 good, but anything newer it comes to a halt, most newer games (which require between 512 and 1gb of ram) don't even start up, let alone run.

That's what sent me into console gaming - always having to upgrade to play the latest games.
The playstation 2, 5 years later, is going to play any PS2 game you put into it without you having to worry if you have enough memory or if your graphics card is good enough.
The Xbox/Xbox 360 has been getting more and more PC ports, so a lot of games you might find on the PC (Quake 4, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Battle for Middle Earth 2 etc.) are also available for console gamers.

Right now I have a PS2, PSP, and Xbox 360.
If I ever get a PS3 (when the price drops especially) somewhere down the road, it'll play all the current ps2 (and ps1) games and on top of that it offers full web browsing, so in a sense, you can have just consoles and still get a near-PC experience.
Even the PSP has a web browser, though as of now I still use this old POS computer to browse the web, but other than that, it's not in use.

You can go buy a triple core Xbox 360 with a top-notch video card for $399 and get an entire new system with it, or you can go buy a new video card for $399 and hope the rest of your PC doesn't need upgrading too.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 01:32:28 PM »

Not recently but about 4 years ago I mostly stopped PC gaming -- my last new game was Call of Duty.  Once computers became my job, my interest in using them after hours went down by a lot -- and at this point I probably buy a new PC every 4-5 years for about $500.  Not exactly a great gaming rig...  I spend probaly the same on a new console in the same timeframe, but I much prefer sitting on my couch versus sitting at a desk.  Chair + keyboard + mouse feels way too much like being at the office to me (especially since for the past 4 years there I was using the same system to work when I was called in off hours)...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2006, 03:44:15 PM »

Since I got the 360 in April, 95% of my gaming time has been on it.  Note that it has mostly been Oblivion which I could have played on the PC but I ended up with it on the 360. 

All my game purchases between now and Christmas are 360 titles.  I've played HL2:Episode 1 and some counter-strike on the PC.  That's it.

- shaggy

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2006, 04:07:51 PM »

I have all but given up. What changed me was the 42" plasma with a 360 in 5.1 surround. I bought a new widescreen LCD for the PC and that hasnt changed my opinion. Ill go back to PC gaming eventually, but right now I am so enjoying the big screen with the wireless controllers on the couch.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2006, 08:09:41 PM »

Quote from: Creepy_Smell on October 13, 2006, 12:38:07 PM

I haven't giving up but I'm not really buying any new games for the PC. I'm just playing what I have.

I'm just about in the same situation. I still have a nice backlog of PC titles I need to work through, but I'm having far too much fun playing my DS, 360, PS2, and Cube to worry much about the PC anymore. There is one or two PC games on the horizon that I'm looking at but they're mostly expansions or something my 2.4 Ghz PC won't run.

I have been asking myself the same question lately and found myself at a crossroads. I rediscovered my PS2 (holy cow the strategy titles and RPGs!), have always treasured my Cube and DS, and now the 360 has taken hold of me. With all the console games yet to play (new and old) I don't feel the need to upgrade my PC to play the next wave of PC titles. That will probably have me waiting another year or two before my next upgrade which means I'll have a backlog of PC games I could work through unless the consoles don't let go.

Who knows, by then I just might spend my PC upgrade money on a nice HDTV and be done with it smile

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2006, 08:19:01 PM »

Come to think of it, I really haven't played my PC at all since spending a few weeks with Heroes V many months ago. Gothic 3 would probably pull me back in, but I'm afraid my rig sucks too bad to play it. The 360 in HD has spoiled me, and now all my PC games on low settings looks about as pretty as a fat baby's diaper.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2006, 08:49:53 PM »

Nope, pretty much stopped playing the 360 lately.  It seems that the 360 releases this year are crap.  Gears of War may be good, and FEAR is just a 360 port.  I can't remember when there were so many top PC games being released (CoH, Dark Crusade, Medieval 2, Might and Magic, Gothic 3, Battlefield 2142, WoW Expansion, Railroad Tycoon, Nev Nights 2, etc.)

Add in Crysis and Supreme Commander, and the PC might be better then ever lately.

360 has what?  Gears (to much hype), Splinter Cell (on PC), Ulitmate Alliance (on PC), FEAR (on PC w/ new expansion), Phantasy Star (on PC), etc.

Just a blah release list this year for consoles I think, with the exception maybe of the Wii.

I got tired of buying a new $400+ dollar video card every year and upgrading my PC parts every two years.
$400 is a bit of an exageration of what people realistically need.  I use my PC for Photoshop and other somewhat demanding apps, so it helps to have a fast PC that can also game.  I wish consoles were more versatile for their price, but they simply aren't.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2006, 08:50:38 PM »

So, is it safe to say that PC Gaming is dead now based on this thread?  I kid, I kid!!!!

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2006, 10:10:30 PM »

Never, a console can replace what you can get on the PC, and vice versa, so I'll be both for a long while.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2006, 12:06:38 AM »

So, is it safe to say that PC Gaming is dead now based on this thread?  I kid, I kid!!!!
Nah, PC gaming is just dead to those that prefer not to engage their brains while playing  icon_twisted

---
XBox Live: ScottW
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2006, 02:38:51 AM »

I have mostly abandoned my PC since I bought my 360 a few months ago, but that has more to do with the fact that there just haven't been many games I've been excited about for the PC other than multi-platform ones and so far I have preferred the 360 controls and experience over the PC. 

Most of the must-buy PC games lately are RTS or RPGs; I've been long burned out on RTS games and tend to only go for more action-oriented RPGs and Titan Quest filled that void for a while. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: