http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 04:39:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone bought or tried out any of the gaming chairs?  (Read 2109 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2007, 07:42:58 PM »

I've seen those gaming chairs at Best Buy and last night at Toys R Us and i'm curious are they worth it?   I could definitely get the use out of one sitting it right in the middle of my living room when i'm gaming.    I know there are several, but i did find this one on IGN.   http://gear.ign.com/articles/720/720999p1.html

Anyone tried this one or any similar and can give an endorsement?

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 07:55:20 PM »

This is really all there is to know about the chair.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 07:58:42 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on November 07, 2007, 07:55:20 PM

classic...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 09:30:55 PM »

are those force feedback pumps?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 09:43:55 PM »

drool

Classic

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 09:45:43 PM »

Is that pic from the Kentia hall at E3?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 10:50:36 PM »

so i guess the answer is a no about anyone trying one out?

unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 11:37:45 PM »

I sat in one at Best Buy, it seemed pretty nice.  It was comfortable, adjusted if you leaned forward and back, and the speakers on the sides of the chair were pretty nice as well.

But other than playing five minutes of guitar hero in it, that's the extent of my knowledge about it.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 11:42:48 PM »

I would have loved a chair like this back in days of yore when I played my Atari on a 12" TV, but today I just have no need for a chair like this. Maybe some day if I ever get my HT/Gaming basement I dream of, I'll reconsider.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 01:45:29 AM »

there's a chair in that pic?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 03:04:33 AM »

That a pretty lady farted on it?

PSN ID: EduardoX
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 04:21:55 AM »

I've got one I bought at Target.  $50.  It's one of the AK designs (but not the Rocker).   Compared to sitting on the floor, it's worth every penny.   My couch is pretty far back from the TV for gaming but great for TV/movie watching.

- shaggy

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 03:56:55 PM »

I have one of the Pyramat rockers with wireless sound.  When I initially hooked up the wireless sound I was getting some static so I hooked up the sound via a/v cables.  The sound is quite nice, because it is right next to your ears and there is strong bass.  But lately I actually have just been using it as a chair.  If you have 5.1 sound you probably won't want one with sound anyway (and you can probably save money).

I like it because it's just a really comfortable position to play games in, and the chair itself is really comfortable. It's a really solid piece of furniture, actually.  Also, it folds in half so you can stow it aside when you aren't using it. However, I would consider your setup before getting one. The chair is pretty low to the ground, so consider where your tv is located. Also, if you have a Wii, you'll need to be farther from the tv to play games that use the Wiimote. I sit pretty close to the tv, so when I play Zelda, I sit in a more standard chair, because otherwise I'm at a really bad angle for the sensor bar to pick up the Wiimote.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 05:19:52 PM »

We used to have a couple of those little floor rockers in my parents' basement years ago when I still lived there.  Ours didn't have sound or anything, but they were very comfortable and my stepbrother and I spent many hours gaming in them.  I also rocked over my fingers numerous times because I'm a dumbass. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 05:45:24 PM »

I also rocked over my fingers numerous times because I'm a dumbass.

If you are a dumbass, Engine, then so am I - and several of my friends and relatives.  The rocking-style chairs with wooden frames that are minimally padded, should be avoided at all costs.  They sell a plain brand, no speakers, etc... just the chair itself, at places like bed and bath stores and department stores, but I believe they should be recalled or warnings should be mandatory.  Two nephews, two friends, and me were all victims of bruised and nearly broken fingers - even after we realized the problem and tried hard not to have it happen again. Btw, many of them are not very sturdy either - though used minimally, due to the crushed fingers syndrome, the chair's frame warped due to it's shoddy construction.   icon_evil

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 07:33:59 PM »

btw, I think this is the one I have. And seeing that page, I know now my wife spent more than I wanted her to on xmas presents last year.  mad

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 09:17:32 PM »

just wanted to update this as my wife got me this chair http://www.boomchair.com/prod_FRG.htm as an early gife last week.

i've put in a good week of gaming using this with my Wii, 360, and PS3 and i very happy with the purchase.   i decided to go with this one because it was wireless and didnt want cords all over the room.   setup was a snap and i got it up and running in minutes.

my only real complaint is that the chair itself is not particularly comfortable.   it's kinda stiff and not something i'd want to sit in for an extended amount of time.   however, i have sat in it for an hour or so and it didn't bother me.  much more than that and you need to get up and walk around because it would probably ache your back.   i'll also add that i'm 5'11" and i'm not sure how this would sit on a much taller person.   i sit in it and prop my feet up on a coffee table for more comfort.   all in all, it's about what i figured....i didnt get it for comfort anyhow really.

sound is really really good through the 2 speakers in the headrest.   gives a kinda good surround sound effect right in the back of your head.  i was playing Bioshock late at night in the dark and it was really creepy.   couple times got freaked out  and about crapped myself.   very very happy with the sound.

lastly, a surprised feature i was unaware of is the vibration in the seat.   works basically the same as the controllers.  however, it kinda rumbles at different times and intervals as the controllers so you get alot of rumbling.  it's also very subtle so it's not like you are getting zapped continuously.   again, very pumped and excited about this feature.....especially when i wasn't expecting it.

overall, i highly recommend this particular chair.   the sound and vibration features are worth it to me.   i got it on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond for $119-$20 rebate and an additional %20 off with a coupon we had.   damn great deal.   ask for it for Christmas if you are interested.  i can whole heartedly give a  thumbsup

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 09:25:11 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on November 30, 2007, 09:17:32 PM

my only real complaint is that the chair itself is not particularly comfortable.   

Er, sounds like a pretty monstrous complaint for a chair
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 10:13:30 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 30, 2007, 09:25:11 PM

my only real complaint is that the chair itself is not particularly comfortable.   

I lold.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 11:46:27 PM »

I saw a gaming chair at Fry's the other day $249 seemed king of pricey.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 11:56:36 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 30, 2007, 09:25:11 PM

Yeah, that pretty much killed it for me. I don't understand why audio is such a huge focus in gaming chairs, I just want something comfortable with a cup holder.

Sean Lama
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 01:06:58 PM »

well, i guess i was a bit too harsh on the comfort.   while it isn't the most comfortable thing, i wouldn't necessarily call it uncomfortable.  it's not a recliner by any means, but it's "ok".   for me, i can live with that.   i only play for maybe 45 minutes a time, so it's not real bad for short gaming stints.

Simon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 11:35:58 PM »

I got some early Christmas money and picked up the Audio X Rocker today. Our couches are pretty far back from the TV and I often found myself sitting on the floor to play, so I figured it would be worth giving one of these chairs a try. I didn't really need the speakers but the price was the same as some rockers without audio (I had been looking at this one) and the reviews all seemed pretty positive. So far I like it quite a bit, it's firm but comfortable and I dig the styling a lot. The arm rests are really nice to have. It's large and weighs about 50 pounds, since we'll be storing it in a closet that makes it a bit difficult to easily shift in and out for when I'll want to use it. The sound is decent and the sub definitely gives a good kick. I don't have anything to compare too, but for the price and the quality it seems like a good pick.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 12:29:58 AM »

Damn that's an awesome price, I might pick one up. Thanks for the info, Simon  thumbsup

Sean Lama
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 12:47:46 AM »

No problem. I did have to haggle a bit with customer service over the price, they said that the online prices were different from the in-store prices. They did give me the online price though.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 06:09:27 PM »

I'd prefer getting a Sumo Lounge chair.

www.sumolounge.com

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 06:36:50 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 17, 2007, 06:09:27 PM

I'd prefer getting a Sumo Lounge chair.

www.sumolounge.com

I'm thinking a nice wicker framed papasan myself.

ps. WTF?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 06:38:54 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 07:03:21 PM »

Yeah I dunno about that Sumo Lounge shit, doesn't seem comfortable.

Sean Lama
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 07:30:49 PM »

love that commercial. Tongue

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 08:25:19 PM »

well i hope you enjoy yours more than i have mine.   i've all but decided to return mine and get my $100 back and spend it on something else.

i have the wireless boomchair (mentioned a few posts above) and i can't get it to connect to my PS3 and Wii.   it connects fine to the 360, but using the same connection (component), i can't get any sound.   i actually found a workaround, but it's already not working again.   i don't know if it's the PS3 or Wii or my tv, but it's too much aggravation for something i paid $100 for.

too bad really because i like the chair and the sound coming from the headrest.   mine has vibration which is cool too.  too bad i can't get it to work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: