http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 03:29:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyon heard anything good about Earth Defense Force (360)?  (Read 2218 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2007, 06:46:49 PM »

Downloaded the trailer and HOLY SHIT!!!!! it looks awesome.

Definite purchase........unless it sucks.

I can't seem to find a lot of info on it though and that worries me a bit.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 04:30:05 AM »

we were kinda discussing it but the conversation died.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 04:59:14 AM »

FWIW, it's a series that has been going on Japan for quite a while.  I don't think we've ever seen a release here but I think the Europe might have got one of the recent PS2 offerings.

Word on the 360 version is that it's a good entry in the series.  However supposedly the gameplay isn't very deep- mainly just annihilating huge hords of alien invaders.  So if that floats your boat you should be happy.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 05:13:49 AM »

GAF loves the series - it looks like, "zomg COOL" but nothing that I think I'd particularly enjoy.  Looks really cool, though.

TheMissingLink on PSN
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 01:23:55 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 20, 2007, 04:59:14 AM

FWIW, it's a series that has been going on Japan for quite a while.  I don't think we've ever seen a release here but I think the Europe might have got one of the recent PS2 offerings.

Word on the 360 version is that it's a good entry in the series.  However supposedly the gameplay isn't very deep- mainly just annihilating huge hords of alien invaders.  So if that floats your boat you should be happy.

I should enjoy it then. The graphics look sick, really sweet looking aliens.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 01:49:59 PM »

There was a good video of it on GS Live one week.  Basically you run around and shoot big aliens.  You can destroy big skyscrapers and other buildings.  there are around 4 vehicles including a Mech.  There are a ton of weapons as well.  You will fight a lot of big ants though.  But it is constant action with huge fights.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 02:00:40 PM »

Looks like fun!  Gamespot's preview seemed positive.  But I didn't read of any MP options.  I wonder if there will be any.

Right now it's at sub 70% on game rankings but I've not heard of most of the places that have given reviews.  Gamespy gave it an 80% and the biggest complaint seems to be that it's not as good as its predecessor.

I might be getting this one!
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 04:32:38 PM »

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/774/774526p1.html

6.9 from IGN, but they call the game "addictive" and just rap the graphics and sound.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 01:21:07 AM »

As ATB mentioned, GameSpy gave it a 4/5 and said it would be rated higher but it was a bit of a step back from Earth Defense Force 2 (Japanese PS2). 

I'm a fan of the cheesey old school sci-fi setting and it sounds like it might be a good bet for $40. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 02:23:10 AM »

Was about to pick this up because of the co-op... then it was pointed out that the co-op was off-line only.  No live support.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 03:25:40 AM »

I'd still get it. Played through a level or two tonight and its pretty damn fun.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 03:30:09 AM »

Quote from: jblank on March 22, 2007, 03:25:40 AM

I'd still get it. Played through a level or two tonight and its pretty damn fun.

Cool, I'd like to hear some more real-user impressions after you've spent some time with it! 

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 06:42:07 AM »

May rent it, or get it after I finish playing around with AC4.  Looks like much fun, I was just hoping for some live co-op.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 08:36:45 AM »

a magazine over here has it listed as earth defense force 3

didnt know there was a 1 and 2!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 01:33:54 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 22, 2007, 03:30:09 AM

Quote from: jblank on March 22, 2007, 03:25:40 AM

Cool, I'd like to hear some more real-user impressions after you've spent some time with it! 

My pleasure.

I haven't spent enough time with it to give you much info at this point, but when I play more tonight, I will throw out some pluses and minuses.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 02:42:02 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on March 22, 2007, 02:23:10 AM

Was about to pick this up because of the co-op... then it was pointed out that the co-op was off-line only.  No live support.

That was my big interest, but with no live I may wait.  With me just getting STALKER and the Oblivion expansion coming out next week I'm barely going to have any playtime for anything else.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 03:04:47 PM »

I will get this, once my 360 returns from the brink of death.  I just found out I'll have it early next week (just in time for Shivering Isles icon_smile).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 08:54:48 AM »

Well, since my computer probably can't handle Stalker at decent settings and I was too impatient for more impressions here I picked this one up tonight.  I've put in a couple hours and completed the first 8 missions in two difficulties, so here are my impressions.

The plot is generic sci-fi with some decent, if silly, voice-overs and a general design that seems straight out of the 50's.  I am a big fan of the old sci-fi movie setting so this makes me happy.  Flying saucers, giant bugs, robots and monsters all attacking cities...what's not to love?

The action is fast and furious with enemies swarming the ground, the sky and crawling over buildings.  As you kill those evil alien bastards they will sometimes drop icons that you pick up (yes, floating 2D icons).  Some of them give you instant health while the others will be tallied at the end of the level to increase your max health/armor or give you a new weapon.  You never know what kind of weapon it is when you grab the icon (it just says "Weapon"), but there are a bunch of different weapons in seven different categories and the higher powered ones will only be found on higher difficulty levels. 

Even though you get a huge arsenal, you can only select two of these weapons for each mission so you need to choose wisely.  It makes most sense to take two different kinds of weapons, like an assault rifle or shotgun matched with a missle or grenade launcher, depending on what type of enemies you are going to be fighting.  You get unlimited ammo so mostly you concern yourself with the range, damage and reload rate of the weapons when you choose them and then just hold down the trigger when you encounter the swarms of aliens.  It's also kind of fun since you can blow up all of the buildings with a single rocket or grenade.  Lots of stuff constantly blowing up!

There are supposedly 53 missions and each of those has 5 difficulty levels that can be selected at the beginning of play.  You can go back and replay any mission at any time on any difficulty level to increase your health/armor or try to find more weapons.  On the mission select screen it shows which difficulties you have completed each level with little ribbons.  So far the goal of each mission is pretty much just to eliminate all enemies, but they often come in multiple waves or change things up.  The mission areas are quite large and I have yet to run into an edge or invisible wall, and as mentioned you can blow up pretty much everything around.

You start the missions with 5-10 squad mates who will fight along side you and make constant comments (although not too annoyingly, for the most part).  You can also find other fireteams while on a mission and get command of them by just walking near their commander or each of the individuals.  You don't give direct orders to these guys, they just sort of follow a path to the enemies or follow you around and shoot once you make contact.  It keeps things very simple and fast paced while still giving you some help. 

I haven't gotten any vehicles yet, but there are supposed to be 4 kinds you can use later on: a tank, ahelicopter, a speeder bike thing and a little mech. 

There is some slowdown, especially if you fire a rocket/grenade into a large group of enemies.  Sometimes it goes smoothly and other times it can really chug.  This may bother some people, but it doesn't detract from the game too much for me.  Some animations (like on the ants) could be smoother, especially bugs crawling around the buildings or when they get knocked around. 

The game is far from perfect, but considering it is a "budget" release (although still $40) it does a lot of things very well and is just a hell of a lot of fun.  If you like non-stop action and/or old sci-fi movies I think this one is worth a try.  Just don't pick it up for easy Achievement points, as they are pretty weak

Umm, sorry this is so long.  Sometimes I get a bit too verbose. 

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2007, 02:22:23 PM »

Are the levels locked to start? If so, can you unlock them by playing coop or do you have to play 1p first?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2007, 04:16:32 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 24, 2007, 02:22:23 PM

Are the levels locked to start? If so, can you unlock them by playing coop or do you have to play 1p first?

The levels unlock one at a time as you beat them in any difficulty.  Unfortunately I don't have a second controller and I can't completely start a co-op game without one, so I'm not sure about that.  From what it looks like you can either start a separate co-op campaign save where you guys unlock them as you go or you can use your single player load and select levels you have unlocked there (and unlock more). 

There is also a Battle Mode, which I think is just a bit of 2 player deathmatch.

One bit if an annoyance that I just found out this morning is that the game does not automatically save your progress as you complete missions.  So I am back to the only save I made, having only completed one mission on one difficulty.  frown  Save your games, kids! 

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2007, 05:04:03 PM »

I got this game yesterday and it is good fun. I'm on Mission 17 now.

Positives:

Nice Explosions
Good Looking Robot Enemies
Lots of action
Lots of Weapons

Negatives:

Framerate is very bad when lots of action is on the screen. I haven't seen chugging like this in a long time on any next-gen game. It gets really bad. Like 1 FPS bad, at times.
All the enemies are basically the same, once you've seen the three types (Ant, Spider, Robot), you have seen them all. Same goes for the environments.
Crappy Achievements - Get an achievement for each difficulty you beat. That's it. Oh and you get one for collecting all the Weapons.

Overall, I like it. It really needed a bigger budget though. You can tell. Since it is a bargain game, I don't feel bad about buying it. If this was a regular $59.99 release though, it wouldn't be worth it.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 12:44:50 AM »

Mine is for sale now if anyone is interested. I played it for about an hour more and it's just not moving me like I thought it would. Maybe it's a bit TOO old school feeling, but if anyone wants a 2 hr played mint condition EDF, buy mine.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 02:14:10 AM »

Quote from: jblank on March 26, 2007, 12:44:50 AM

Mine is for sale now if anyone is interested. I played it for about an hour more and it's just not moving me like I thought it would. Maybe it's a bit TOO old school feeling, but if anyone wants a 2 hr played mint condition EDF, buy mine.

Sorry to hear that, man.  Obviously the game is very dumb run-n-gun type gameplay, so if you're not into blowing up lots of giant bugs, robots and stuff it doesn't have much else to it. 

I'm loving it despite it's flaws. 

I'm up to level 28 finished in both Easy and Normal with a few of the early ones finished in Hard mode.  So far I have 57 weapon variations unlocked.  Some of them are nearly useless (a welding torch?  WTF?) but some are cool and useful.  All the variations of the standard ones allow you to play how you like by balancing accuracy, refire rate, damage, etc. 

I just hope this one sells enough to justify a sequel which allows them to improve on this formula. 

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2007, 07:30:21 PM »

Okay.... picked this up last night... just opened it today... after the first level... I have to say.. OH MY GOD!!!  So much silly fun!

I had a smile on my face for the entirety of the first mission.  Why oh why couldn't they put live coop into this game???

I plan to su... err... get some friends to come over and play this coop.  Too much fun.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 01:31:39 PM »

Shame on all of you here for not alerting me to this title!!!  icon_evil

How the hell did this slip pass my sensors? 

B-movie, 1950's sci fi, giant ants, flying saucers, Ultraman-style fun???

MY TYPE OF GAME!!!

Picking it up today at lunch.

Again, shame on you GT for not telling me about this!  icon_wink

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Irongut
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 02:34:07 PM »

I am playing this with my son on split screen co-op and honestly we are having a BLAST.  I should explain that my wife is Japanese, and so my kids get a good dose of big monster movies, ultraman, power rangers etc.

It's a simple game of blowing up giant creatures and buildings.  Each mission does have a background story to it and they usually play out with some game elements during the mission.  You are usually surrounded by squadmates you dont control who utter the corniest one-liners ever as they fight the enemies, but they are hilarious.  "They got the captain", "We've lost the rookie." etc etc  Just like what you would expected in a dubbed movie.  The female announcer sure reminds me of the voice actor who did April Oneil on TMNT.. but I didnt check the credits to confirm.

The monsters are huge in size and number.  The framerate does take a hit every once in a while, but usually its during such explosion fests, its doesnt matter.  The explosions (of the fiery and bug-gut kinds) are very satisfying.  Sometimes the screen is so filled with guts and fire you are running blind as you continue to unload shells in it.  And enemies, the game overwhelms you with numbers of enemies at times... to the point that we laugh out loud while we are playing.  It's so over the top, but they nailed it somehow.  You recognize the game for what it is.

When we started, mission 1 gave me a sense of the game, but it really dugs its claws into us by as we progressively played through the first 10.  We are now on mission 18, its all shooting, its all exploding, but each mission has a bit of story to it that takes elements from 50's ufo movies, to Japanese B monster movies etc etc.  It has really grown on us.  You get to take down motherships, etc etc etc.. I wont give away what we've seen through mission 18.

It's clear this wasnt a huge development budget game, but honestly they nailed a sweet spot I think.  With more dev money and time, it could have been even better, but for its relatively simple implementation, its just awesome.  I bought it for 39.99 and I'm getting a ton of fun out of its simple natured co-op fun.  I'd definitely at least recommend it for a rent if you have access to a service like Gamefly.  I'm glad I bought it though.

Sidenote: I believe a few posts up, someone was having trouble getting into vehicles.  Its the Select button to jump into one.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 02:52:10 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on April 03, 2007, 01:31:39 PM

Shame on all of you here for not alerting me to this title!!!  icon_evil

How the hell did this slip pass my sensors? 

B-movie, 1950's sci fi, giant ants, flying saucers, Ultraman-style fun???

MY TYPE OF GAME!!!

Picking it up today at lunch.

Again, shame on you GT for not telling me about this!  icon_wink

We didn't want to steal you away from Bullet Witch.  I hear that chick can be a real bitch when you take away her loyal following  Tongue

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 02:52:40 PM »

Jeez, Starshifter, I don't know what to say.  I've only been trying to mention the game in every thread I contributed to for the last couple weeks.  slywink

I finished all 53 missions on both Easy and Normal this weekend by playing each level twice as I went through.  That allowed me to get some extra health built up and unlock the weapons as I moved my way along.  About half-way through I went back and did some of the Hard ones and unlocked some cool weapons that were quite helpful.  I think I have about 90 of the 170 unlocked right now.  

Despite the fact that some of the later grenades do insane amounts of damage (like 2500) I never found them too useful.  I would much rather use a grenade launcher that allows me to aim better and faster, and shoot ten shots in a row even if they are much weaker.  Some of the heat-seeking swarm missles are pretty helpful, too.  The special ricochet rifles are really nice in the tunnels.  Buf of course it all depends on how you play and what you like, and there's a plethora of choices in that regard.  

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 03:08:53 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 03, 2007, 02:52:40 PM

Jeez, Starshifter, I don't know what to say.  I've only been trying to mention the game in every thread I contributed to for the last couple weeks.  slywink

I know.  icon_redface  I'm sorry.

I never bothered to check out the game.  I thought it was a Battlefield 1940 multiplayer clone of some kind so I avoided it.  I had no idea!!!

CeeKay - I know I have to be careful.  Alicia is already pissed at me for playing too much NHL.  I've been sleeping on the couch the past few days.  But, it's her own fault since she can't seem to get me past Stage 5!

XM Channel 76
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 04:33:50 PM »

Finished on normal with papa smurff last night.  That last fight was pretty intense. 

We've unlocked 122 weapons, but not too many lately.  I really want some laser cannon, I've seen the npcs using them!  It isn't fair!!

Playing some of the levels on hardest and inferno... I don't understand how anyone could finish them solo... maybe some of the yet to be unlocked weapons will help... or just massive amounts more of health.

Irongut: Yeah finally had to look at the manual to figure out how to get in the vehicles.... at which point I wondered why the heck I bothered.  The tank and battle suit are semi-useful weapon-wise, but you can't move the helicopter or battlesuit physically fast enough to be worth a crap.  It's really frustrating, especially since on the higher difficulties I could see the vehicles being very helpful, if not downright essential.

Regardless I will play more... gotta catch'em all! Weapons for the win!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 04:37:02 PM »

Ive got Normal and Hard beat, and 3 missions left on Hardest. With 161 of the 171 weapons unlocked, I got some real choices now to approach missions, and let me tell ya...its needed because it gets insanely difficult.

This is easily the most brainless fun I've had in a long time, and plays like a Starship Troopers/Godzilla/Serious Sam hybrid of pure crazyness. When you got giant robots and ants and gunships flying around you, smoke trails and fireballs the size of buildings, and screaming chatter all at the same time, its one of the most tense experiences Ive had in gaming.

Luckily, Ive been farming Inferno quite a bit for some upgrades and so forth, and found a great farming combo. Mission 40, the Canyon Ambush has you and a team of about 40 EDF troops mauled by tons of Crimson Ants...but if you into the mission with the ZER-GUN turrents, both sets, you can pretty much clear the area up, and farm the crap outta armor and weapon drops. You'll lose some on the mountains, but other than that, you can deploy your turrents near both of your teams and they'll survive with only 10% losses. You can repeat this on each difficulty, and move up as you find the progressively better version of the gun turrent. Once you get the ZERX-Gun, you've found the bext turrent in the game, and can safely farm Inferno for the AP-100, Stringray99, and all the other top tier weapons.

Awesome game.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 06:47:38 PM »

I picked it up today at lunch!

Do you guys recommend playing the games difficulty levels in order (i.e., start with Easy and progress upward)?

Thanks! 

I'm going to watch a couple of Ultraman episodes tonight and then fire this up!  thumbsup

XM Channel 76
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2007, 12:19:45 AM »

I would start on Easy and work my way up, as this will give you a good curve to get more Armor pickups (HP), as well as a nice stable of weapons to help you progress.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2007, 12:52:02 AM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on April 04, 2007, 12:19:45 AM

I would start on Easy and work my way up, as this will give you a good curve to get more Armor pickups (HP), as well as a nice stable of weapons to help you progress.

My son and I have been playing on easy and it is quite forgiving, but plenty of fun.
Lots of laugh out loud moments and shrieks of excitement.
My favorite weapons include a burst rifle with a bit of zoom that fires 3 shots at a time. I usually pair that with the M1 Stampede grenade launcher that fires 10 grenades at once or the Volcano Burst Rocket Launcher that fires a horizontal spread of 12 rockets.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2007, 11:55:23 AM »

Thanks Pharaoh for the advice.  I never got a chance to fire this up last night because I unexpectedly played way too much of Guitar Hero 2.  I'll get to it soon though.  I can't wait.

XM Channel 76
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2007, 04:18:28 PM »

i have just picked this up,but have yet to play it...with it being 24.99(same price as the platinum/classics range)i wasnt suprised that there was no LIVE whatsoever(it didnt even have the LIVE sign in the top corner of the cover)..but it does have achievements...6 of them,so i guess thats something...i bought it because despite the graphics,it did look like fun

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: