http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 02:46:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Zelda impressions?  (Read 1896 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2005, 04:40:06 PM »

Minish cap comes out today right? I may try to pick it up, but I can't remember if it shipped yesterday or ships today. Should stores have it today?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 06:58:20 PM »

To answer my own question, yes I was able to pick this up today from an EB. Played for about 20-25 minutes and so far so good. Classic Zelda forumla. The graphics look great, possibly the best I have seen so far on GBA. I will give it the real litmus test tonight on the GBPlayer on the TV. The world does seem a bit small compared to other Zelda games, but I imagine I will be spending a lot of it shrunk down so that will make it bigger than it seems. I'm just happy to have some new Zelda action! smile

-John

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 07:31:05 PM »

I will be looking around town for it after work.  I hope it is in.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 07:41:55 PM »

Circuit City has it on sale this week for $22.99.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 02:43:48 AM »

Just finished the first dungeon, and I am having a lot of fun! It is the classic Zelda - Link to the Past style, but already they have thrown in some new wrinkles to the gameplay. Interface wise, it's a lot like the GB/GBC Zelda games. The R-switch is a context-sensitive switch as an addition to the GB controls. Great fun! Very pretty! Even the low-res GBA stuff looks pretty nice on the GBPlayer on my TV. The death animation for monsters is quite cool! So far, a must for Zelda fans! smile

-John

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 01:31:50 PM »

finished the first dungeon as well yesterday (while waiting for re4 to arrive today). very pretty, tricky, great controls, fun - everything you'd expect. the 'minish' concept is incorporated so fluidly into things that it feels like it's always been there...

i'm guessing it'll be this game, & not paper mario 2 (which i'm half-way thru & enjoying greatly) that i'll return to after re4 (it's been a nintendo-type 2005 here so far)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 09:58:37 PM »

Picked it up today and 30 minutes in I'm having fun.  I have a love-hate relationship with Zelda games (I still need to finish Ocarina) but this one seems quite fun.  Being on a handheld makes it even better.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 11:24:52 PM »

finished off vaati, after a dozen attempts, day before yesterday (you like 'challenging' final boss battles? - this is your kinda game!). very, very happy with minish cap - totally revived my zelda jones (immediately scored the gc collection with majora's mask on ebay after finishing smile ). both the minish stuff & a good amount of 4 swords stuff are incorporated perfectly, while the kinstones give you plenty of reason to dawdle around hyrule before & after you're done. solid story, lively, pretty world, lots of npcs, &, for me anyway, just about perfect length-wise...

no complaints here - a great addition to a great series...

I still need to finish Ocarina

yeah, you definitely do smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 12:52:54 AM »

I finished it yesterday. Is easily my favorite game so far for the GBA (though I've only played about 5). I didn't find all the secrets, though (I didn't realize I was in the last dungeon until it was too late).
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 01:54:07 AM »

I only looked at the beginning so far, but did anyone notice the 90% match with the beginning of Chrono Trigger?  Even the fucking bell in the town looked the same.

Homage or ripoff- you decide...
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 04:43:37 PM »

Damn you forum effect!  Like I needed this game and I bought it any way.  Well nothing like some Zelda goodness for ya!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2005, 03:06:01 PM »

Done with the first dungeon and I'm having a blast!  I got stuck once and didn't know what to do.  GameSpot has a nice walkthrough and I consulted it briefly, remembered something I forgot (having to do with spider-webs) and I was good to go.  Boss fell to my vacuum cleaner and I didn't even die once!  This could be the first Zelda game I play more than a couple hours.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2005, 03:59:06 PM »

Yeah I'm digging it too.  I love how all the new things that come with a Zelda game just seem to fit right into the series.  All of the new stuff I've seen so far is great.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2005, 04:36:38 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
 This could be the first Zelda game I play more than a couple hours.

Hmmm really? How odd! smile

I hope you have tried A Link to the Past, which Minish Cap is basically aping for most of the game. If you haven't, and you enjoy MC, I highly recommend you buy it for the GBA next! It's one of my all time favorite games, and I have hooked up the SNES many times after its heyday just to replay it. The GBA version is excellent.

-John

warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005, 05:09:41 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"
Quote from: "warning"
 This could be the first Zelda game I play more than a couple hours.

Hmmm really? How odd! smile

I hope you have tried A Link to the Past, which Minish Cap is basically aping for most of the game. If you haven't, and you enjoy MC, I highly recommend you buy it for the GBA next! It's one of my all time favorite games, and I have hooked up the SNES many times after its heyday just to replay it. The GBA version is excellent.

Tried several times actually.  For whatever reason I never got the Zelda bug before now.  Of course now I'll probably have to go back and play everything... I need to quit my job I think.   biggrin
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2005, 01:47:31 AM »

Two dungeons down and I'm having a blast.  Fun game!  I do love me some Zelda goodness, it's like meeting up with an old friend.  The new items are great.  It's great to hear some music from the newer games and Elzo is a great addition.  I hope he stays around.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2005, 05:04:07 PM »

Ok this one has it's hooks in me.  My GBA baraly ever gets used and I haven't been able to turn it off since I started playing.  I usually don't like playing retro style games, but this game is so good it's worth it.  Good show Nintendo and Capcom!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2005, 10:41:46 PM »

I finished it this weekend. Definitely a great game, and the prettiest I have seen on the GBA. (I played a bit on a friend's DS this weekend, and it looked beautiful.) I thought the end boss was challenging and satisfying when I beat him. I did get a little tired of the whole charge your sword and split Link into 4 Links deal. I thought it was overdone at the end. It's almost like Nintendo is obsessed with subconciously SHOVING Four Swords down our throats... but I digress. Not as great as Link to the Past, but still highly recommended. smile

-John

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: