http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:04:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any problems with UK versions of games in the US?  (Read 1189 times)
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2008, 10:30:10 PM »

I've got a new PC (Dell 420 XPS Quad core 2.4, 3GB RAM, 500GB HD, 8800GT) and I can finally play a bunch of the games I've wanted to over the past few years, but that my old graphics card wouldn't handle. 

As such, I bought a bunch of older games new on Amazon Marketplace for cheap, but two of them so far have turned out to be UK versions of the game.  A couple weeks ago I got Thief: Deadly Shadows is a "PC Gamer Presents" DVD-Rom from the UK.  It came in a DVD case with no manual or anything.  I loaded it up and didn't have any problems playing through the first level.

Today in the mail I got "The Chronicles of Riddick: Developer's Cut" that's a "Best Seller Series" from the UK, sealed in a DVD case.  I haven't opened it up, so I don't know if it has a manual, etc. or not, yet.  I don't recall reading in the sellers description that this was an import that I was buying, and when I look at my order on Amazon.com, I don't see the description they gave anymore.

The first one I thought was a fluke, but now I'm sensing a pattern.  Am I getting gypped by getting these instead of the US versions?  Any potential problems running these on my US system? And I've heard of some games being censored in other countries.  Anyone know how common this is or if these two in particular were?

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
ROTC1983
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 10:32:05 PM »

Games on the PC aren't tied down by the regional system.  Just remember, depending on where you import it from, there might be differences in content if the laws are more relaxed or more strict.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 10:37:10 PM »

Also, there will be more Us.  Colour!  Honour!  Wateur!  It's an epidemic over there.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 12:39:40 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 09, 2008, 10:37:10 PM

Also, there will be more Us.  Colour!  Honour!  Wateur!  It's an epidemic over there.

and don't forgete unnecessary e's at the ende of various wordse.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 03:25:56 AM »

An important note is that some patches are region specific, and can potentially fry your game installation if you apply the wrong one.  Of course, the worst that will potentially happen is that you'll need to manually uninstall the game and reinstall it (and then apply the CORRECT patch), and also many installers are smart enough to pick up the region version before they get to work.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 06:03:27 AM »

When I have the choice of US or UK versions I try to buy the UK versions because the US ones are usually censored against my tastes. Glad the government feels the need to tell me what I can and cant see.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 06:07:55 AM »

The US government hasn't censored a single video game that you've played.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 06:27:06 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 10, 2008, 12:39:40 AM

Quote from: Brendan on April 09, 2008, 10:37:10 PM

and don't forgete unnecessary e's at the ende of various wordse.

You almost sound as if the English aren't spelling their own language right.

And you're damned right we spell it honour. Like all true descendants of the English.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 06:41:29 AM »

Only issue I am aware of with US/UK games is where they are tied into servers in most cases MMORPGS eg US Version of WOW would tie you into the US servers.

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 01:20:06 PM »

I think the only UK PC game imports I've bought over the years (thanks to GoGamer, they'll carry the UK version if a North American release is either lagging/not yet available, and there's customer demand for it) were Operation Flashpoint in 2001, and Sacred (both eventually got North American releases, but I was impatient). Both worked fine, even online, as long as my versions were compatible. It did feel strange having to remind myself to get the UK version of a patch (once the N.A. releases came out).  icon_neutral

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 02:45:31 PM »

International version of the Witcher FTW!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
D.A.Lewis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 04:33:38 AM »

International version of Witcher, Gothic 2, Moment of Silence, Neverend and a few others I got from GoGamer. No problems at all but you do have to watch out for patches. Because many time the patches are typically regional and localized.
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 07:50:34 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 10, 2008, 06:07:55 AM

The US government hasn't censored a single video game that you've played.

Or a single movie you've watched.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »

Quote from: D.A.Lewis on April 11, 2008, 04:33:38 AM

International version of Witcher, Gothic 2, Moment of Silence, Neverend and a few others I got from GoGamer. No problems at all but you do have to watch out for patches. Because many time the patches are typically regional and localized.

Also, sometimes import versions will have different copy protection schemes.  That can be a factor if you are trying to avoid something like Starforce.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 02:44:05 AM »

Thanks all.  I guess I'm not getting too ripped off, but my main gripe then is that I'm missing the original manuals, boxart, and any other goodies that came with the original release.  Both of these games that I got were sold as "new" and I thought I'd be getting the original boxes with all original content- not a budget title re-release from overseas.

I can't recall if I did on these two items, but for many games I've gotten through Amazon marketplace, I've paid a dollar or two more to avoid used copies and jewel-case releases.  I guess I'll be more careful in the future, or pay more through Amazon directly or other retailers.

So did I miss much by not getting the original content of Thief 3 or Chronicles of Riddick?

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 05:52:39 AM »

Quote from: Tscott on April 14, 2008, 02:44:05 AM

So did I miss much by not getting the original content of Thief 3 or Chronicles of Riddick?

Not really.  I can tell you that Thief 3 just had your basic dvd-case booklet manual, and Riddick did not even come with a manual at all -- just a small quick reference card with the controls listed.

I'd guess your copy of Thief 3 has a manual on the disk or hiding in the game directory somewhere.  If not, you can get one from the game's Steam page.  (Look on the right column under Media + Links).

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: