http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 04:40:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any other interesting RPG:s on the horizon?  (Read 1832 times)
marcusjm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2009, 01:13:04 AM »

Especially for 360. I am thinking mainly of the non JRPG variety like Fallout3 and Mass Effect.
I already know about DA and ME2 but are there others I may not know about yet? Rumours etc.

I assume we will be ssing a Fallout4 at some point. Maybe even Diablo3 if we are lucky slywink.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 01:58:22 AM »

Sacred 2 is due at some point, as is the Two Worlds sequel.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 02:29:12 AM »

And I'm looking forward to both, really.  I'm a little afraid how Sacred will be...considering their track record on the PC Version (If it works for you on the PC, then it's great...apparantly getting it working is the hard part)

I liked two worlds.  It's major failure was trying to be sold as an Oblivion killer....which it wasn't.  It's not a AAA game, but I enjoy it as a hack'n'slash.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 02:30:00 AM »

Two Worlds sequel? I thought it was recieved in a very bad way.

Wouldn't the Gothic series make more sense?

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 06:05:26 AM »

Don't forget that The Witcher is coming to the consoles this fall.  Assuming that you didn't play it on PC, it's worth the effort.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 08:49:25 AM »

Divinity 2, the next Gothic game (Arcania : A Gothic Tale), and Risen (from the makers of the earlier Gothic games) are all headed to the 360.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 09:06:51 AM »

NO MORE RPGS!  I have so much catching up to do, it's not even funny.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on February 08, 2009, 06:05:26 AM

Don't forget that The Witcher is coming to the consoles this fall.  Assuming that you didn't play it on PC, it's worth the effort.

I played it on the PC and I still plan on getting it for the 360.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 08:01:54 PM »

I'm looking forward to Star Ocean 4 at the end of this month.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 08:05:07 PM »

Almost forgot about Alpha Protocol. Sometimes it is hard to think of it as a CRPG but
it is so it belongs here smile.

Obsidian + CRPG = win.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 08:12:47 PM »

Star Ocean 4 and Sacred 2-i know nothing of Sacred 2,and didnt even know it was coming to the 360 until about a week ago,but what i have seen of it i like

and lets talk about that Horizon...that far,far,far Horizon....Final Fantasy 13

as for Mass Effect 2,have we even got a release date for that one yet?,i know its meant to be multiplatform this time around,i suppose all the 360 lovers could blame EA for losing Exclusiveness on that one,but then again if it has problems on SONY's machine,the PS3 people will be the first ones to blame EA anyway,LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 09:12:17 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 08, 2009, 09:06:51 AM

NO MORE RPGS!  I have so much catching up to do, it's not even funny.

I'm right there with you, Chaz!  I don't have 12 that need playing or anything, but since I play my games to death, even 3 or 4 can take up a year.  Right now, I have Persona 4, Lost Odyssey, and some Star Ocean (3, maybe) - and I've gotten caught up in Morrowind again, which I still can't believe (shakes fist at Metallicorphan!)   icon_eek

Quote from: Dreamshadow on February 08, 2009, 02:29:12 AM

And I'm looking forward to both, really.  I'm a little afraid how Sacred will be...considering their track record on the PC Version (If it works for you on the PC, then it's great...apparantly getting it working is the hard part)

I liked two worlds.  It's major failure was trying to be sold as an Oblivion killer....which it wasn't.  It's not a AAA game, but I enjoy it as a hack'n'slash.

Hmm, I played the demo of Two Worlds and didn't much like it.  Was the demo not representative of the game?  It could be that I was searching for another Morrowind, so it didn't meet that standard, for me anyway.  But if you liked it... geeze, what am I thinking, lol?   icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 12:28:46 AM »

oh and Myto,you never did get into Mass Effect did you?..you still got it.because you need to get into it,because it is a great game,LOL...1 more for your list Tongue

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 01:17:14 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 09, 2009, 12:28:46 AM

oh and Myto,you never did get into Mass Effect did you?..you still got it.because you need to get into it,because it is a great game,LOL...1 more for your list Tongue

yes, join us, play Mass Effect.

Because I can,
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 01:42:07 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 09, 2009, 01:17:14 AM

I still have to play Mass Effect too frown

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 06:25:29 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on February 09, 2009, 01:42:07 AM

I have to finish it.  Got to the part where things go from linear to wide open, and stopped.  It's kind of at the bottom of my list right now though, I feel like I'm in more of a turn-based mood lately.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 07:03:47 AM »

I'm guessing it's going to be totally censored?  I'm not desperate to see titties (ok that's a lie) but I just think unless it's detrimental to the gameplay it shouldn't be taken out.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 01:17:12 PM »

I'll be in for Sacred 2, probably.  And the Witcher gave me nothing but trouble on the PC, but I liked what I played.  If the console version is good, I'll get that for sure.  But I'm like most here.  I have SO many RPGs to get through, I don't see myself picking up a lot of new ones for quite a while.  I'm even holding out on Vesperia until I find it cheap.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 07:40:57 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 09, 2009, 07:03:47 AM

I'm guessing it's going to be totally censored?  I'm not desperate to see titties (ok that's a lie) but I just think unless it's detrimental to the gameplay it shouldn't be taken out.

it's more than just boobs that was censored. i believe some phrases were as well. I dunno, like you I think censoring it was stupid and got the UK pc version. However it is a great game and that shouldn't let anyone from enjoying it. Need to play the enhanced version someday. Got into the first chapter and it's ridiculous how much changed for better.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 07:54:20 PM »

AFAIK, the only thing "censored" were the cards and one or two NPC models that were nude. 
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 08:06:14 PM »

I just laugh when some claim that titties/nudity make a game more adult. If anything they tend
to be scream "pimpled teens who gets all worked up by some tits". It is when it feels natural in the game it is adult. From what I understand
the Witcher titties were of the "appeal to pimpled teen" variety.

To me adult means something that reads like an adult novella, could be Nick Hornby, could
be James Ellroy, or tackles adult subjects like Revolutionary Road? When will an ageing game consumer see more
of these type of games? Games with older players in mind. They better start thinking something up smile.

I am sure I will survive the tittieless version slywink.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 08:12:26 PM »

it's the principle of the matter. why censor anything at all? it's rated M. It's not our fault the stores aren't doing their job and selling whatever ratings to anyone. We're adults, we shouldn't be subjected to teen rating crap because of that. You do know the average gaming age is like 30, right? That's why I got the UK version. If i'm going to pay full price I'm getting the whole game. Not some stupid by product of our over protective gov't stepping over the freedom of press and expression.

Blood doesn't make a game either, but I sure as bet more people bitch about that when it gets censored. It simply adds to the game and the world in the game.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 08:14:59 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on February 09, 2009, 08:12:26 PM

it's the principle of the matter. why censor anything at all? it's rated M. It's not our fault the stores aren't doing their job and selling whatever ratings to anyone. We're adults, we shouldn't be subjected to teen rating crap because of that. You do know the average gaming age is like 30, right? That's why I got the UK version. If i'm going to pay full price I'm getting the whole game. Not some stupid by product of our over protective gov't stepping over the freedom of press and expression.

Blood doesn't make a game either, but I sure as bet more people bitch about that when it gets censored. It simply adds to the game and the world in the game.

I agree but it isn't these companies we need to be annoyed at but society.  The company only is out to make money.  Society places restrictions which makes it more profitable to censor the game. 

marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 08:17:04 PM »

Well games are not censored here in any way but movies are from some gore (to a much lesser degree than before.
Censorship of information bothers me, this type doesn't too much, annoying perhaps but nothing that upsets me that much.

I am serious about adult games though. There is a severe lack of real adult games, I think there is an untapped market there.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 08:47:33 PM »

I think there is a very strong possibility that an uncensored Witcher would have received an AO rating and many/most retailers flat out refuse to carry such games so I'm not necessarilly surprised by the move. 
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 09:14:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 09, 2009, 08:47:33 PM

I think there is a very strong possibility that an uncensored Witcher would have received an AO rating and many/most retailers flat out refuse to carry such games so I'm not necessarilly surprised by the move. 

Exactly.  And it's not like it's ever been that hard to "update" your edited version.  There are mods all over the place that do it and even the game's creators (who are Polish) have said they'd like to find a way to offer an official patch.  At the very least they are looking the other way on the issue.

Of course that won't be the case on the console version.  And to be honest, not having the nudity hardly detracts from the game.  It can be argued that the fact that the playable character can sleep with so many women for shallow reasons (though some scenarios are much better developed then others) should be more controversial then whether the cards show nudity or not.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 09:32:10 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 09, 2009, 06:25:29 AM

I have to finish it.  Got to the part where things go from linear to wide open, and stopped.  It's kind of at the bottom of my list right now though, I feel like I'm in more of a turn-based mood lately.

Okay, one more for The List, then.  I started Mass Effect ages ago and never really got into it.  That was at a time when I was just coming off a long illness (yes, even too sick to play!) - and many games I tried just didn't hook me.  I've got zero, or very low Achievements for that, Halo 3, and The Orange Box all for the same reason.  It wasn't until I hit FFXII that I got re-addicted to gaming.

I will definitely try Mass Effect again someday because, by all rights, I should really like it.  I either didn't know, or have forgotten, that it has online play.  Hmmm... maybe I'll try that someday too.  After my FFXI addiction, I steered clear of multi-player, because it was very, very bad for me.  At least Mass Effect doesn't go on forever and ever though like FFXI.   icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 10:26:33 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on February 09, 2009, 09:32:10 PM

Quote from: Chaz on February 09, 2009, 06:25:29 AM

Okay, one more for The List, then.  I started Mass Effect ages ago and never really got into it.  That was at a time when I was just coming off a long illness (yes, even too sick to play!) - and many games I tried just didn't hook me.  I've got zero, or very low Achievements for that, Halo 3, and The Orange Box all for the same reason.  It wasn't until I hit FFXII that I got re-addicted to gaming.

I will definitely try Mass Effect again someday because, by all rights, I should really like it.  I either didn't know, or have forgotten, that it has online play.  Hmmm... maybe I'll try that someday too.  After my FFXI addiction, I steered clear of multi-player, because it was very, very bad for me.  At least Mass Effect doesn't go on forever and ever though like FFXI.   icon_eek

Mass Effect is a single player game.  There is no online play component.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 11:20:40 PM »

Finished off Lost Odyssey today.  Liked it quite a bit, though I inadvertently out-leveled the final area, so it was pretty easy.  That was fine with me though, as I've always been of the mindset that if you spend the time to grind your levels up, you should be fairly godlike by the end (plus, we're talking about a bunch of people who've been around for 1000 years, they should be pretty damn good at fighting by now).

Now I just need to figure out what I want to play next.  I'm torn between Persona 3, Last Remnant, and Infinite Undiscovery.  I've been playing so much LO this month that I'm nervous that I'll start Persona and get burned out because of too much turn-based.  Of course, I've been really liking the turn-based stuff, so who the hell knows?  I'll probably pull a name out of a hat.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 11:37:11 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 09, 2009, 11:20:40 PM

Finished off Lost Odyssey today.  Liked it quite a bit, though I inadvertently out-leveled the final area, so it was pretty easy.  That was fine with me though, as I've always been of the mindset that if you spend the time to grind your levels up, you should be fairly godlike by the end (plus, we're talking about a bunch of people who've been around for 1000 years, they should be pretty damn good at fighting by now).

Now I just need to figure out what I want to play next.  I'm torn between Persona 3, Last Remnant, and Infinite Undiscovery.  I've been playing so much LO this month that I'm nervous that I'll start Persona and get burned out because of too much turn-based.  Of course, I've been really liking the turn-based stuff, so who the hell knows?  I'll probably pull a name out of a hat.

I thought their leveling system made it nearly impossible to get too far beyond the requirement for an area.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2009, 11:49:39 PM »

Now I just need to figure out what I want to play next.  I'm torn between Persona 3, Last Remnant, and Infinite Undiscovery. 

Okay between me and Myto we can help you somewhat

Persona 3Myto has just finished it and she loved it

Last Remnanti tried to like that but in the end couldnt get into it,played about 15 or so hrs of it,if you decide to play this,make sure you install it

Infinite Undiscovery both me and Myto loved this game.decent story as well

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2009, 11:49:45 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 09, 2009, 11:37:11 PM

I thought their leveling system made it nearly impossible to get too far beyond the requirement for an area.

That's what I thought too.  Turns out there's an optional area/dungeon that's a higher level than the endgame sequences.  I got stuck in there for a while (it's a maze).

EDIT: I played a bit of P3 when it came out, and I'm confident I'll like it.  Last Remnant appeals to me because of the supposedly very strategic combat, and I heard the storyline is of the political epic variety, which I like.  I should emphasize that all three of them will be played, I'm just trying to figure out the order (Fallout 3 is on hold until the other two DLC packs come out).  And since I'm making an effort to focus on one game at a time, my new rule is to install whatever I'm playing.  Helped immensely with Lost Odyssey.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 11:52:41 PM by Chaz » Logged

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 12:52:23 AM »

is sacred really coming out for the xbox at the end of next month?  i know its coming, but ive seen no hype or announcements whatsoever.  gamestop has had march 20-something as a release date forever...

is this really the date and the game just isnt going to get a full press lead up?  i sure hope so... but i keep thinking its just a placeholder date...???
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 01:37:37 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on February 09, 2009, 10:26:33 PM

Mass Effect is a single player game.  There is no online play component.

So, CeeKay was just messin' with my head?  I can't believe it!  Or - is it the next Game of the Month, maybe?

Chaz - I know exactly what you mean, since I played Persona 3 for a very long time, while Persona 4 was waiting patiently.  I didn't want to play them back to back because I was afraid it would ruin the Persona 4 experience.  I also missed seeing my Friends on XBL, lol.  Then Metal got me playing Morrowind again, and I got dragged right back into that - so an XB game, but still no Friends List.  But I do think it will be different enough (they share the RPG tag, but are nothing alike) that Persona 4 may very well be my next game.  Or one of the other games on my rapidly redeveloping must-play list.   icon_eek

You might want to go with Infinite Undiscovery first, btw, because you will probably love it... but it is definitely a love-it or hate-it game, so if you don't like it, you'll knock one of your list fast.  I played it forever, but it does have flaws and it starts oddly.  Give it at least an hour before you decide - or if you are like me, then 2 or 3 hours.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2009, 03:47:27 PM »

I wound up going with Persona 3.  I was about five hours in when I played it a year and a half ago according to my last save.  I decided to restart, since I barely remembered anything.  Man, going from the gorgeous graphics of Lost Odyssey to the simple, stylized PS2 graphics of Persona is quite a jump.  It's a good thing I'm not a graphics whore.  Considering that it took me about three weeks to put 45 hours into it, and I'm planning on playing both The Journey and The Answer, I think I'm going to be on this for a while.

Part of me wishes that there was an easy way to get 360 invites while I'm on the PS2 (in case my buddies want to play Left 4 Dead).  I'll have to investigate doing that on the iPhone.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 08:05:01 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 11, 2009, 03:47:27 PM

I wound up going with Persona 3.  I was about five hours in when I played it a year and a half ago according to my last save.  I decided to restart, since I barely remembered anything.  Man, going from the gorgeous graphics of Lost Odyssey to the simple, stylized PS2 graphics of Persona is quite a jump.  It's a good thing I'm not a graphics whore.  Considering that it took me about three weeks to put 45 hours into it, and I'm planning on playing both The Journey and The Answer, I think I'm going to be on this for a while.

Part of me wishes that there was an easy way to get 360 invites while I'm on the PS2 (in case my buddies want to play Left 4 Dead).  I'll have to investigate doing that on the iPhone.

Yeah, P3 is one of those games that people describe as "having it's own charm" or similar.  The graphics are actually great (quirky, charming, etc.), just not life-like... more of an anime crossed with cell-shading thing.  I didn't like it much to start, but it didn't matter because the game is so engaging.   nod

I agree on the PS2 thing too, I miss my friends on XBL, even if I no longer play online.   tear

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: